0492: "Scrabble"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

joee

0492: "Scrabble"

Postby joee » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Link: http://www.xkcd.com/492

Alt: A veteran Scrabble player will spot the 'OSTRICH' option.

Hrm, reading xkcd at work is going to lead to awkwardness one day. I can tell.
I once had a scrabble game where you could only make offensive words. I think I have a photo of the finished board somewhere...
Hi glasnt.

GodShapedBullet

Re: "Scrabble" Discussion

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:09 am UTC

I like sending messages through my Scrabble word selection but it never works out because eventually there is a tasty triple word score and no word to pick that would further my theme.

It's also nice to send threats through Scrabble, but there are only so many ominous sounding words you can use.

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:09 am UTC

You go for that clitoris.

Double word style.

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:10 am UTC

I didn't see a thread for this comic, so I made one too, but that'll probably get deleted.

"Trochils" and "coistril" also work perfectly here.
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

Unicyclist

Postby Unicyclist » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:11 am UTC

Anyone know which is worth more points, off the top of their head?
don't plow that beautiful field!

Addaone

Postby Addaone » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:11 am UTC

Once I drew "SCROTUM" to start the game. I had no other choice. I got grounded for a week.

chionophile

Postby chionophile » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Historic would also fit here and probably gives the most points.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:13 am UTC

"Bonus points for clitoris."

I love xkcd.

However, at 2pm local every Monday, Wednesday and Friday I get looked at funny for laughing too loud.

This is one comic that won't be printed out and stuck on my wall though <_<

jorin

Postby jorin » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:15 am UTC

I once opened an online game of Scrabble with 'VAGINAE'. My opponent immediately challenged it, and then when it turned out to be legit they quit out. I was very disappointed. :-(

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:17 am UTC

jorin wrote:I once opened an online game of Scrabble with 'VAGINAE'. My opponent immediately challenged it, and then when it turned out to be legit they quit out. I was very disappointed. :-(

Yeah, I don't think people talk about plural vaginas enough for the more irregular "vaginae" to be removed from the language any time soon.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:17 am UTC

My mom saw this and laughed her ass off.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

Etsuko

Postby Etsuko » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:18 am UTC

SOLICITOR, but I'm not sure how many points that will net off the top of my head ):

Zeitgeist

Postby Zeitgeist » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:18 am UTC

chionophile wrote:Historic would also fit here and probably gives the most points.
I actually registered in order to post just this.

Lucky that grandma put the H on the center square and not the I, eh?

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:20 am UTC

So besides the obvious 'clitoris', I noticed that the word 'shit' is also possible. Any other possibilities?

EDIT: and last time I was playing Scrabble with my girlfriend, I noticed I could make the word 'cunt'. I barely managed to avoid playing it.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

alchemistique

Postby alchemistique » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:21 am UTC

AWESOME. Especially considering my mother and aunts are scrabble junkies. I can relate.

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:22 am UTC

One of my more Basically Decent friends once started a game with "fag"
She then proceeded to appologize to me for about thirty seconds, including in the appology that she meant it only as a cigarette.
I gathered from that that she assumed I was homosexual (in actuality, asexual, but whatever).

I once realized after the fact that I could have spelled out fornicate, but my mind wasnt nearly dirty enough at that age to have spotted it in time...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

joee

Postby joee » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:22 am UTC

Etsuko wrote:SOLICITOR, but I'm not sure how many points that will net off the top of my head ):

where'd the extra 'O' come from? :P
Hi glasnt.

Enigma90825

Postby Enigma90825 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:24 am UTC

chionophile wrote:Historic would also fit here and probably gives the most points.

Nope, clitoris uses all 7 letters and you get a 50 point bonus for that. This is weird, I was playing scrabble when I looked at this comic...
I am not here... isn't "here" just "there" without the T?

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:25 am UTC

I think often with good Scrabble players we miss chances to make the best words by resorting to the more valuable three letter word that lies on top of other words so as to make five or six two and three letter words per turn.

It's a real shame, I think.

Also, CLITORIS wouldn't use all your letters, I don't think, because there's no way to tack it to the opening word.

Nw0428

Postby Nw0428 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:26 am UTC

I don't know.
I think he should just go ahead and play it.
Maybe follow up with, "My friends say this word all the time. What does it mean?"
or
"Talk about playing with words. He he he."
What do you do when the computer doesn't recognize your keyboard?
PressF2 for help.
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% fatality rate.
Support Uncyclopedia and the Pastafarians of the world.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:27 am UTC

heh this has occurred on a few occasions with me as well although my this point my family just kinda goes with it and its gets a good laugh. Ultimate win was when i got to spell out Penis. Not only does it receive the standard "har har you said penis" but it was also a triple word score. = D clearly the monkeys where in my favor that night.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Etsuko

Postby Etsuko » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:27 am UTC

joee wrote:
Etsuko wrote:SOLICITOR, but I'm not sure how many points that will net off the top of my head ):

where'd the extra 'O' come from? :P

From... the next guy's play? ;P

Heh my bad, I guess my mental imagery is eidetic fail.

Dylan

Postby Dylan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:30 am UTC

Historic doesn't get the bonus for using all 7 letters, and puts all your opponents in a better place than the double words on top of clitoris. Given the choice, I'd take the 7 point 'CLITORIS' horizontally under or over 'HI'.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:30 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:
Also, CLITORIS wouldn't use all your letters, I don't think, because there's no way to tack it to the opening word.

his?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

EnTroPY!?

Postby EnTroPY!? » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:31 am UTC

"Trochils" would be worth 64. (one double letter on a 1 value tile)
"Coistril" and "Clitoris" would both be worth 63, using either i. (three double letters but all hit 1 value tiles)
"Historic" would only be worth 39, since you wouldn't get the 50 point bonus for using all of your tiles.
"Ostrich" would get you 13. (one double letter on a 1 value tile)

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:32 am UTC

Unicyclist wrote:Anyone know which is worth more points, off the top of their head?

Looking at the board, here are the point values for clitoris, ostrich, and historic:
Clitoris: 63 (13 + 50 point bonus for using all letters.)
Ostrich: 13
Historic is not an option with the letters given: note he has only one i. If he could play it (had a second i instead of an l) it would give him 92 (14 x 3 for triple word score + 50 point bonus)

Edit: Oh, I see! My bad, you play it horizontally. Retracted.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

madhollywood

Postby madhollywood » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:38 am UTC

Oooooh... an unabashed sex joke. I guess the fact that I totally missed the ostrich option tells you all where my mind is at.

gotcha84

Postby gotcha84 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:39 am UTC

Haha! I've never come across such a situation yet (maybe I haven't looked hard enough or played Scrabble enough) :lol:

This is funny, you guys are actually trying to calculate points. :lol:

I would personally do it and make up an excues like "I think that's a word" or "I've heard of this, what does it mean?" :twisted:

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:39 am UTC

Whenever my friends and I play, we grant extra points for dirty words.
Stack Scrabble Bitches.
Last edited by Kazuke on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:40 am UTC

Also, that is the world's largest Scrabble board. Look at how it fills the table, and then look at how much space the humans have on their sides of the table.

faunablues

Postby faunablues » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:41 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:I think often with good Scrabble players we miss chances to make the best words by resorting to the more valuable three letter word that lies on top of other words so as to make five or six two and three letter words per turn.

You can place 'clitoris' vertically so the "s" intersects with "hi" (--> his). I'd do it - it's a word, and not slang.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:41 am UTC

EnTroPY!? wrote:"Trochils" would be worth 64. (one double letter on a 1 value tile)
"Coistril" and "Clitoris" would both be worth 63, using either i. (three double letters but all hit 1 value tiles)
"Historic" would only be worth 39, since you wouldn't get the 50 point bonus for using all of your tiles.
"Ostrich" would get you 13. (one double letter on a 1 value tile)

ah but you forget about the points for his... which brings it up a grand total of 69 points. Hahaha doesnt get much better than that!

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:44 am UTC

faunablues wrote:You can place 'clitoris' vertically so the "s" intersects with "hi" (--> his). I'd do it - it's a word, and not slang.

Clitoris has 8 letters. In Scrabble you only get 7. He only has one i and has to use the one already on the board to play that word.

Bonus Scrabble Challenge
Come up with a combination of starting letters for which "Hi" was really the best option for the player who went first.

masher

Postby masher » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:44 am UTC

faunablues wrote:
GodShapedBullet wrote:I think often with good Scrabble players we miss chances to make the best words by resorting to the more valuable three letter word that lies on top of other words so as to make five or six two and three letter words per turn.

You can place 'clitoris' vertically so the "s" intersects with "hi" (--> his). I'd do it - it's a word, and not slang.

No you can't.

You need to use the "I" in "HI" to complete "CLITORIS"; he's only got one "I"...

madhollywood

Postby madhollywood » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:45 am UTC

And all this time I thought HiClitoris was a compound word. There is nothing more natural than saying hi when you have the chance.

Someone correctly pointed out the "his" and "clitoris" combination which is rather disturbing.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:45 am UTC

I would have no trouble playing clitoris. When my family plays word games, we play to win, decency be damned (and yes, this includes playing Boggle with my grandparents).
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

thoobik

Postby thoobik » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:46 am UTC

I'd be extremely impressed by anyone who managed to pull out either "trochils" or "coistril" at the table. I don't have a Scrabble dictionary on hand so I'm not certain it's legal, but the most reasonable play with all of the letters that I can see (other than clitoris of course) is "lictors" (+ "his" or "sh"). Being a classics nerd, I'd probably choose to play lictors over clitoris actually.

Best Scrabble play of this genre that I've seen was performed by my friend in high school, who whipped out "floozy" one time for 40-odd points.

MuToiD_MaN

Postby MuToiD_MaN » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:47 am UTC

Ah, but the real question is, in light of the discovery of other words, would you purposely play the lower-scoring word to get the reaction from the family or not?
Last edited by MuToiD_MaN on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ĉiam veti sur Duke

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:47 am UTC

To answer my own challenge, it's possible to have one H and six Is, I suppose.

Insanity's Partner

Postby Insanity's Partner » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:47 am UTC

Addaone wrote:Once I drew "SCROTUM" to start the game. I had no other choice. I got grounded for a week.

Lol. In my family, everyone would probably just laugh very loudly. Possibly try to outdo me. ("HA! I see your SCROTUM and raise you a FELLATIO.")

But that's only if I could manage to make them all sit still (In the same room.) together long enough to even start a game. It was easier when we lived in Florida, because Scrabble was usually reserved for hurricanes, before damage is cleared. But so far that I've lived in Colorado, there haven't been any blizzards or anything that could cause something like a major power outage for a long enough period of time.
Dead Like Me: (n.) [ded lajk mi:] Firefly for people who excel at not giving a shit.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”