0497: "Secretary: Part 4"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

DarkKnightJared

Re: "Secretary: Part 4" Discussion

Postby DarkKnightJared » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

TRON PAUL '12. 8)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

So, you think that if he ran in 12 he'd manage to wrack up enough support from xckd fans to make his way through?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:28 pm UTC

Oh yeah, because there's definitely 30 million American xkcd comics. :P

Tron Paul

Postby Tron Paul » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:33 pm UTC

Gracenotes wrote:Image
Awesomeness ensues!

Win. And soon to be my avatar.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

SJ Zero wrote:Oh yeah, because there's definitely 30 million American xkcd comics. :P

Yeah, but with xkcd fans telling their friends, he might get through as people do it as a joke.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

crazdgamer

Postby crazdgamer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

So...

Is it silly to bring up the fact that Cory Doctorow's balloon cannon makes a boingboing sound, or did everyone else just see the joke and not bother mentioning it because it's just an "obviously" sort of thing?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

It was mentioned by other people earlier in the thread (try the first page). As well as the pewpewpew of the blimp.

Personally I prefer boingboing, pew sounds too much like a gun with a silencer.
GNU Terry Pratchett

twmcneil

Postby twmcneil » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

The "boing! boing!" part made milk come out of my nose.

Does this mean we'll see Jeff Bridges in the final panel?

hattiel

Postby hattiel » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

I like 'pew pew pew'! It's kind of feeble, like little kids pretending to shoot each other.

Also: what noise would the evolved form of the Ronpaul make? I'm thinking he'd have the same sort of roar but with more bike sounds.

cwoodin

Postby cwoodin » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

djn wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:
GodShapedBullet wrote:I guess the Ronpaul believes in evolution now?

Only if he gets to spell it "∃VOUTION"

...dammit why aren't there better backwards letters in Unicode? A hundred thousand characters and no backwards letters.

A cyrillic и looks ok, really.
For that reverse L, is that a box drawing char? It's probably the best, but there's also these ...

∃VOUTIOи (Right Floor, from Miscellaneous Technical)
∃VOUTIOи (Right Square Bracket Lower Corner, from Miscellaneous Technical)
Only the "EVOL" need to be backwards - it's a play on his "the Ronpaul REVOLUTION" bit, wherein "EVOL" (Love backwards) are reversed: http://files.meetup.com/506522/Ron%20Paul%20Revolution%20banner%2030%20x%2089.jpg
He said he never tells a lie!
He was lying about that.

Iv

Postby Iv » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:07 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
SJ Zero wrote:Oh yeah, because there's definitely 30 million American xkcd comics. :P

Yeah, but with xkcd fans telling their friends, he might get through as people do it as a joke.

Laugh, but when you search for "webcomic" in google, XKCD is the first entry. There are also 31445 persons registered on this forum. That is not negligible politically.

SJ Zero wrote:With the Ronpaul, looking at his platform he's going to vote against the bailout, and he voted against the bailout. He follows a set of rules which determine how he's going to vote, and he make it perfectly clear what those rules are.

That makes sense. I am really sad this is a loosing strategy in politics. So people apparently like his integrity, not his platform. OK.

xaeon

Postby xaeon » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

Iv wrote:Laugh, but when you search for "webcomic" in google, XKCD is the first entry. There are also 31445 persons registered on this forum. That is not negligible politically.

Minus those not in America, and those who are not of voting age. I feel that would greatly reduce that number. Oh, and those who are inactive. And those who have political aliances. And those who may now be dead. Etc, etc.

And even so, 31445 people is roughly 0.0138086596% of the US population over the age of 18 (and thus can vote), ie. negligable.

Infact, even if every single person on this board tells 10 of their friends to vote, who in turn each tell 10 of their friends to vote, and they all vote, that is still only 1.53276121%.

Although, going from the 2004 results, and adding the 0.5% vote he got from the 1988 presidental elections, that would be enough votes to earn him 6th place. Woohoo!
Last edited by xaeon on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
SIG 404 - Signature not found

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:28 pm UTC

Gracenotes wrote:Image
Awesomeness ensues!

Wow... when i saw the the Ronpaul ---> Tron Paul scene i too was reminded of that but you sir executed it beautifully! That was very well done. Congratulations you win the game!
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

That makes sense. I am really sad this is a loosing strategy in politics. So people apparently like his integrity, not his platform. OK.

The platform he has of limited government, eliminating the income tax, balancing the budget through huge cuts in government programs, it's not the best set of policies ever created by man, but it IS better than the usual Republican and Democrat policies of completely schizophrenic and disjointed political truces with no rhyme or reason.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing similarly complete political philosophies in other directions too. A principled and consistent political philosophy based around the idea of government intervention in certain areas for certain reasons would be fine with me, a lot better than the current status quo. I wouldn't be alone in saying that some of the extra things the government does are quite nice. I don't mind paying for meat inspection, nor regulating recalls to ensure poison food doesn't continue to be sold.
Last edited by SJ Zero on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AlexCrafter

Postby AlexCrafter » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

Oh god, I started laughing so hard when I read the alt text. That was great.

Alder

Postby Alder » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

Meh...this didn't exactly crack me up. I think most of the references must be going over my head. :?
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

The Last Sheikah

Postby The Last Sheikah » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

Pah, I think everyone thought of the Pokémon evolution.

How do you think he evolves? Trade? Fire Stone?
Oh wait... he's not a Pokémon...

Anyway, this week has been one of the best series, but to me there hasn't been anything to really make it as epic as people are saying.

Synthuir

Postby Synthuir » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:03 pm UTC

I'm assuming he can revert to the Ronpaul, thus making the Pokémon reference non-parallel.
Randall Munroe wrote:Google has solved my problem of urination.
crzftx wrote:You [theoretically] stepped through paper^-1, and called it paper. Maybe you can theoretically step through 1/2, but you've done nothing with paper.

Vnend

Postby Vnend » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Panel 12 is an excellent example of why main stream comics didn't allow the word 'flick'.

Vnend
("Take the bump? What bump?")

xaeon

Postby xaeon » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

Vnend wrote:Panel 12 is an excellent example of why main stream comics didn't allow the word 'flick'.

I know where you're going, but personally I don't see it.
SIG 404 - Signature not found

Kyros

Postby Kyros » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

Jesus the Boing Boing part was great
Started snickering in schoolabout it
teachers lookin at me like WTF

marketdoctor

Postby marketdoctor » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

The only thing I loved not already mentioned was that Cory Doctrow's balloon basket weapons system was an upside-down Dalek. Maybe they're over Utah...

GeEom
Hi I'm new and I can't read/spell/other

Postby GeEom » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

-
Attachments
Ron Paul Revolution!.gif
yay
Ron Paul Revolution!.gif (137.91 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
Last edited by GeEom on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The1exile

Postby The1exile » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:35 pm UTC

Tron reference = win.
mosc wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:The military wrote custom PS3 software and bought a bunch of them for some very specific application.

A modern warfare lan party, duh.

EpicCheese

Postby EpicCheese » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

As the Ronpaul is ready to take on BHG, Ted Stevens and EFG drop in through the skylight. The mass hysterical battle only ends when the combined forces of SomethingAwful/YTMND/4chan/Ebaums/Digg/Slashdot/MySpace swarm the capitol in a Zerg rush. When the smoke clears the entire city is one big 404.

Vroshnak

Postby Vroshnak » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

I usually really enjoy xkcd. Lately, not so much.

drustvold

Postby drustvold » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

*in british accent* This story arc is getting much to silly. I demand that it be ended immediately!

seraphrevan

Postby seraphrevan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

This is the greatest xkcd plotline that I've ever read.

Randall, please come and talk at the University of Michigan.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

This one wasn't as funny. I hope it recovers.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

To counteract all the negative comments recently in this thread, I will say that this arc is the most concentrated form of epic that has ever been created. 200 years from now, the group that worships this arc will become the largest religion in the world, and absorb all other religions. These comics will be copy/pasted into the bible, and Jesus Christ will be replaced with BHG. The Qur'an will be about the Ronpaul. The constitution of every country with a constitution will be modified to state that "The Secretary Art in xkcd must be placed in every public area, and must be memorized by schoolchildren around the world." There will be peace and prosperity forever.

(Edit: no, I'm not totally ripping off the idea from the Star Trek Futurama episode.)
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

torritorri

Postby torritorri » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

Er. Am I the only one that thinks this series isn't particularly funny? I'm not criticizing Randall, I get all the jokes, I guess I'm just not geeky enough to think they're that entertaining. So yeah.

Just my 2E-2 cents.
AndreGiant wrote:Alien vs. Predator vs. Transformers vs. Jason Bourne vs. Terminator vs. half the cast of 300 vs. Agent Smith, on a plane, in space.

Jesster wrote:Jason Bourne would win in seven and a half minutes.

denalinea

Postby denalinea » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

Crap, this secretary series was frickin hysterical. So funny it actually made me sign up for the forums so I could post. Keep up the good work. I like laughing out loud at work and making people look at me funny :D

luketheduke
Sour Kraut

Postby luketheduke » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

torritorri wrote:Er. Am I the only one that thinks this series isn't particularly funny?

You are wrong. This was epic.
Vanguard wrote:This one wasn't as funny. I hope it recovers.

Vroshnak wrote:I usually really enjoy xkcd. Lately, not so much.

...yes, I do like puns and all other forms of exceptionally bad jokes.
As long as I know how to love / I know I'll stay alive /
'cause I've got all my life to live / and I've got all my love to give / and I'll survive /
I will survive

lethesoda

Postby lethesoda » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

... Tron Paul?

Hell yeah. Rock on, XCKD!
Spoiler:
Trapdoors. They make a difference.
The difference between "I'm leaving you" and "ZOMG YOU'RE A NINJA SWEET *secks*" -Kazuke

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

luketheduke wrote:
torritorri wrote:Er. Am I the only one that thinks this series isn't particularly funny?

Vanguard wrote:This one wasn't as funny. I hope it recovers.

Vroshnak wrote:I usually really enjoy xkcd. Lately, not so much.

...yes, I do like puns and all other forms of exceptionally bad jokes.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the first 3.

cycoden

Postby cycoden » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

I won't let you stop this nomination. We bloggers look after our own.

...does that mean the classhole has a blog?
VectorZero wrote:SEXUAL INTERCOURSE DISGUSTS ME!
Spoiler:
Bulvox wrote:This is probably one of the few times that I'll agree with Cycoden on anything. I just wish that my brain worked like that.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Am I the only one who's a bit disappointed in this comic? The Tron Paul pun was great, and the alt-text was awesome. But ...

The characters seem to be acting horribly out of character. the Ronpaul and Doctorow fighting? That seems really weird, they have almost the same ideals regarding the internet. And why is the Ronpaul suddenly trying to help main-stream politics? Does he even have influence in the White House? He's not exactly popular in his own party. It's just weirdness. Why is Doctorow supporting BHG? I mean sure they are both bloggers, but c'mon. BHG would certainly bring the internet under totalitarian control (HIS control, not governments, but still). Why would doctorow support that?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Synthuir

Postby Synthuir » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Am I the only one who's a bit disappointed in this comic? The Tron Paul pun was great, and the alt-text was awesome. But ...

The characters seem to be acting horribly out of character. the Ronpaul and Doctorow fighting? That seems really weird, they have almost the same ideals regarding the internet. And why is the Ronpaul suddenly trying to help main-stream politics? Does he even have influence in the White House? He's not exactly popular in his own party. It's just weirdness. Why is Doctorow supporting BHG? I mean sure they are both bloggers, but c'mon. BHG would certainly bring the internet under totalitarian control (HIS control, not governments, but still). Why would doctorow support that?

You are displaying an obvious lack of knowledge about BHG-- as are we all. What little we know about his personality is what you're thinking about. There is no way that anyone, especially BHG, would let the internet go. You can think of him as the BOFH, Cory Doctorow as PFY and the Ronpaul as the Boss. Make more sense now? I hope so. Now stop with your doubt of this. It is too awesome for that.
Randall Munroe wrote:Google has solved my problem of urination.
crzftx wrote:You [theoretically] stepped through paper^-1, and called it paper. Maybe you can theoretically step through 1/2, but you've done nothing with paper.

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

ElectTron!

No... proton... no... forget it.

Archangel

Postby Archangel » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

Quite enjoying this series, although not as much as l33t.
The "dropping the gold" thing reminded me of Firefly (specifically the Hero of Canton).

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”