0499: "Scantron"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

iamevn

Re: "Scantron" Discussion

Postby iamevn » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:57 am UTC

soniku64 wrote:When I saw the title I thought of the 13 episode of Teen Girls Squad

Ditto :lol: :lol: :lol:
H*R all the way!!!

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:13 am UTC

I agree, at first I was like, that is that line going through hi head, then I was like, oh, it' s his arm.

I'm not complaining mind you! In fact I relish the voyage of discovery !

You'll have to forgive me, I'm a bit tired.

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel
Location: I am a child of the city of destruction . . . So, my location is the city of dectruction!

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:38 am UTC

Siguy wrote: I don't get how all this would trigger a shooting, either.

You obversely have never been to my school . . .

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:24 am UTC

...why does the "aiee!" precede the "BLAM!"?
Must be a pretty serious malfunction.
That's probably why they usually don't make number 3 pencils.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:42 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:...why does the "aiee!" precede the "BLAM!"?

Probably the operator reacting to the Scantron machine starting to glow, vibrate, and shoot sparks everywhere prior to the explosion, just like in the movies.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

limerick

Postby limerick » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:10 am UTC

Yes! Finally, a "Get out of my head, Randall!" of my own!!

I have OCD with those scantron tests, I swear. I probably have often-times spent more time filling in the bubble then figuring out the correct answer to the question.
It makes state-standard tests nerve-wracking, even though they may be the easiest thing ever done in schools, ever.

And I'm almost paranoid of the #2 pencil thing, while I simultaneously wish desperately to defy it's command.

This ranks in my all-time favorite xkcd's. Thanks, Randall!

Ashbash

Postby Ashbash » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:51 am UTC

I had to fill out a bubble test today in Physics for my HSC, and we absolutely, positvely had to use a pen.

What the hell! That freaked with my brain a lot, couldn't think about the test.

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:00 pm UTC

My ballot was a scantron sheet.

We filled it out with pens.

Synthuir

Postby Synthuir » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:23 pm UTC

People in class are always asking if they can use pens on Scantrons in my classes... It's just always my default response to use a #2. Also, I've only ever used anything other than a #2 in Art Classes... Like a #8 :)

Also also, We've always used round bubbles until this year when we changed to rectangles. Messed up a lot of people.
Randall Munroe wrote:Google has solved my problem of urination.
crzftx wrote:You [theoretically] stepped through paper^-1, and called it paper. Maybe you can theoretically step through 1/2, but you've done nothing with paper.

Lil'Bondy

Postby Lil'Bondy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:41 pm UTC

I can only remember one time where it couldn't read what I had put down. Usually its alright (God I hope no one was hurt), guess it was having a bad day, or just hated me. My teacher pulled me up saying that I should have used the correct pencil.

T "Josh, it has to be dark enough for the machine to read"
Me "But you marked it anyway didn't you"
T "Yes Josh, but I'm not telling you your score"
Me "Its 100% right?"
T "... Right"

I beat my chemistry teacher once on my chemistry test, and so did my friend who while being smarter than me, guessed every one and got 18/20

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:You obversely have never been to my school . . .

Oh, Just thought I'd like to point that out. =P 'Obviously'
So I 'meow' a lot... Get used to it!

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

Kazuke wrote:My ballot was a scantron sheet.

Not actually Scantron^TM. Then it gets put through a B&W scanner and dropped in a locked box. It's electronic, but not.

I work with large scale B&W scanners (36", for blueprints) all day long. I can tell you it is nearly impossible to screw those up. Unless a hair gets caught in the lens.
---------
BlueNight

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

ah...

I'm a freshman in high school, and I was surprised that the scantron machine got half my answers wrong when I filled the circles completely with an "HB" pencil.
Scantrons are nationalist.

Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

sig'd kind sir

The hardest part of the SAT was the cursive writing at the end :? you have to write ALL IN CURSIVE I was like ...uh... Took me around 10 minutes.
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

BlueNight wrote:
Not actually Scantron^TM. Then it gets put through a B&W scanner and dropped in a locked box. It's electronic, but not.

I work with large scale B&W scanners (36", for blueprints) all day long. I can tell you it is nearly impossible to screw those up. Unless a hair gets caught in the lens.

Hmmm, well that explains it. But with the basic layout and everything it still went against everything they taught..nay..DRILLED into my head in school since kindergarten.

Also, I hate using pens altogether. They're messy and you can't erase. I only use them when I have to or I'm inking a drawing.

CrunchyFoodstuff

Postby CrunchyFoodstuff » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

:shock:

Scantron sounds like the high school equivalent of US voting machines. Crappy design and programming.

I had to do similar tests in school (here in Holland), but don't remember these kind of problems. You could go outside the circle a bit, and it would be no problem. And as long as you erased wrong answers properly and made sure the other circle was nicely dark it worked.

Of course, we'd get the right erasers (the soft squishy white rubbery ones) that worked best with our pencils (B, HB,H, I don't think it really mattered).

IIRC, you could also use blue or black pens with no problems.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

cherryfizwiz wrote:For the academic decathlon competition, they handed us these special pencils that allowed you to fill in the scantron boxes in one stroke.
We got to keep the penctils and brought them to our AP exams, thinking we'd be able to own the multiple choice.

until we realized that the scantrons for the AP exams had round bubbles.

I'd seen the boxes before, but when a friend and I did a math competition, he wasted several minutes wondering how to fill them in, because they aren't closed boxes.
And I'm -2.

ACEfanatic02

Postby ACEfanatic02 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

Kazuke wrote:My ballot was a scantron sheet.

Same here.

Irony: top of the ballot called for a #2 pencil. They gave us pens anyway.

I call shenanigans.

-ACE

Doodle77

Postby Doodle77 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

The hardest part of the SAT was the cursive writing at the end :? you have to write ALL IN CURSIVE I was like ...uh... Took me around 10 minutes.

I didn't even bother with that, i've forgotten more than half of my cursive letters :P

Also, if you fill in the gaps between the lines on the side of a scantron, i think you can confuse the machine into skipping lines.

Aubron

Postby Aubron » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

fishyfish777 wrote:The hardest part of the SAT was the cursive writing at the end :? you have to write ALL IN CURSIVE I was like ...uh... Took me around 10 minutes.

I know right?
That angered me to no end.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

fishyfish777 wrote:The hardest part of the SAT was the cursive writing at the end :? you have to write ALL IN CURSIVE I was like ...uh... Took me around 10 minutes.

Wait. What? You have to write in cursive on the SAT? What?
And I'm -2.

Doodle77

Postby Doodle77 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Rilian wrote:

Only for the statement you need to copy on the back of the answer sheet.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Doodle77 wrote:
Rilian wrote:

I have no idea what you're talking about. I remember doing no such thing on the SAT.
And I'm -2.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

Rilian wrote:
Doodle77 wrote:
Rilian wrote:

I have no idea what you're talking about. I remember doing no such thing on the SAT.

Then clearly you defrauded the system. Congratulations.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

1337geek wrote:
Rilian wrote:
Doodle77 wrote:
Rilian wrote:

Maybe if someone explains what it's for, I'll remember. I took the SAT 5 years ago.
And I'm -2.

Doodle77

Postby Doodle77 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:13 am UTC

Rilian wrote:
1337geek wrote:
Rilian wrote:
Doodle77 wrote:
Rilian wrote:

Maybe if someone explains what it's for, I'll remember. I took the SAT 5 years ago.

Yeah, it's only on the new SAT (the one with the essay).

demadaha

Postby demadaha » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:38 am UTC

Doodle77 wrote:
Rilian wrote:
1337geek wrote:
Rilian wrote:
Doodle77 wrote:
Rilian wrote:

Yeah, it's only on the new SAT (the one with the essay).

I regret to inform you that you have violated the non-disclosure agreement you signed in order to take the SAT. A specially trained squad of killer coding ninja monkies has been dispatched to your homes to take you away and force you to fill out scantron card after scantron card and every minor mistake filling in the bubbles will result in an improperly scored card, you will eventually die from internet deprivation.

Also, I used to be OCD about the bubbles but then I found out it is really rare for them to be scored wrong as long as you use the right pencil and fill in the bubble most of the way.
Warning: Post may contain lame, overused reference.
That's no reference! It's a space station!

KyrieEleison

Postby KyrieEleison » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:52 am UTC

I just voted (like some others have said, using the bubbles and the ballpoint pen), and I had to smirk to myself as I was being über careful to fill in the bubble all the way, though I did kind of go outside the line on one of them.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:29 am UTC

KyrieEleison wrote:I just voted (like some others have said, using the bubbles and the ballpoint pen), and I had to smirk to myself as I was being über careful to fill in the bubble all the way, though I did kind of go outside the line on one of them.

That's what caused the Florida incident back in the days, a Scantron machine.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:47 am UTC

I voted today and that made me think I know where Randall got the inspiration for this comic. The talk of circles made me think of how doomed the Earth would be if we used that instead of arrows. Then I read this
KyrieEleison wrote:I just voted (like some others have said, using the bubbles and the ballpoint pen), and I had to smirk to myself as I was being über careful to fill in the bubble all the way, though I did kind of go outside the line on one of them.

So now we know, the Earth is, indeed, doomed.
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

KyrieEleison

Postby KyrieEleison » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Kadzar wrote:

So now we know, the Earth is, indeed, doomed.

Quoth Professor Farnsworth: "Yes, it's the apocalypse all right. I always thought I'd have a hand in it."

Synthuir

Postby Synthuir » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:39 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:

Yeah, but it seems Florida is ridin' blue tonight.

*shudder*
(Just to qualify, the shudder is for thinking about the Florida elections, not Obama winning Florida... just to qualify it...)

Barack Obama 2009!
Randall Munroe wrote:Google has solved my problem of urination.
crzftx wrote:You [theoretically] stepped through paper^-1, and called it paper. Maybe you can theoretically step through 1/2, but you've done nothing with paper.

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:21 am UTC

Scantrons are designed to make test-taking harder. My school used to use the bubble in the circle kind, but then we switched to this really frustrating one where you have to fill in the rectangle, but only two sides of the rectangle are given so you have to guesstimate where to bubble in the answer, and if you get out of the lines, the answer is automatically counted wrong.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:50 am UTC

Synthuir wrote:
ThemePark wrote:

Yeah, but it seems Florida is ridin' blue tonight.

*shudder*
(Just to qualify, the shudder is for thinking about the Florida elections, not Obama winning Florida... just to qualify it...)

Barack Obama 2009!

This is so confusing. I'm following the elections tonight and going "Go, red! Wait...Obama's blue?!". In Denmark, I vote red, in USA I vote blue (if I was actually an American). So confusing.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

muffin of doom

Postby muffin of doom » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:02 am UTC

fishyfish777 wrote:ah...

I'm a freshman in high school, and I was surprised that the scantron machine got half my answers wrong when I filled the circles completely with an "HB" pencil.
Scantrons are nationalist.

I'm surprised, too, given that HB pencils are generally considered to be equivalent to #2 pencils. (I had to research this when one of my students in Japan wanted to take the American SAT.) It may depend on the specific pencil manufacturer, though...

ETA: I, too, always got stressed out filling in those bubbles. I still remember how they trained us in proper bubble-filling technique before our first-ever standardized test, back in first or second grade. I think we had to fill in a whole page of empty bubbles... *trauma*

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:27 am UTC

muffin of doom wrote:ETA: I, too, always got stressed out filling in those bubbles. I still remember how they trained us in proper bubble-filling technique before our first-ever standardized test, back in first or second grade. I think we had to fill in a whole page of empty bubbles... *trauma*

So when people rhetorically ask "What are they teaching kids in school these days?", we have an answer now...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

fersrs wrote:Scantrons are designed to make test-taking harder. My school used to use the bubble in the circle kind, but then we switched to this really frustrating one where you have to fill in the rectangle, but only two sides of the rectangle are given so you have to guesstimate where to bubble in the answer, and if you get out of the lines, the answer is automatically counted wrong.

In Jr high we used the half-sized sheets with rectangles quite often. Your problem is that you are not thinking like the machine. The machine does not care how you fill in the box, so long as there is an unambiguous mark in line with the mark printed on the edge of the sheet. I would go as far as speculating the machine only had 6 optical sensors, lined up with the expected mark placement.

I any event, on ocassion, I would vertically link subsequent answers in a giant blob. This resulted in no scan errors unless I smudged things up. I think I even pulled the line skipping trick as well, but that is playing with fire :P

Long story short: If you don't like the rectangles, you can simply draw small, solid circles in the center of the space provided.

Edit: ..link skipping > ..line skipping
Did you get the number on that truck?

von Eisenstein

Postby von Eisenstein » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:29 am UTC

I suddenly have the great urge to print this comic out (with attribution to Randall, of course), stretch it such that each panel takes up a full sheet of paper, and tape it up over our school's scantron machine.

jevans90

Postby jevans90 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:10 pm UTC

We had an optical mark test today. 5 minutes before it started, one of the group asked 'I don't have a pencil, will that be a problem?'.

I offered her a highlighter...

theta4

Postby theta4 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

Oh, i hate that so much! "Make sure you've filled in the bubble completely"

*shudder*

I get so OCD over it. The time that I'd normally use going over the answers I use to check the bubbles were filled in properly.

--alex
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
PREVIOUS GENERATION: 1-i

tricky77puzzle
Will take "No Tresspassing Signs" for 500

Postby tricky77puzzle » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

reminiscence wrote:By the way, I did it with a 2B (what was the American equivalent again?). So very smudgy.

The equivalent of 2B is 2B, I believe. [edit] Oh, haha, silly me, there is no 2B for American pencils. There is no # sign for 2B. [/edit]

I don't have OCD with my scantrons, but I do like to fill them in a certain way. Even if it's not with an HB (#2, whatever) pencil, I have certain degrees of darkness for how certain I am of an answer to a question.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:44 am UTC

jevans90 wrote:We had an optical mark test today. 5 minutes before it started, one of the group asked 'I don't have a pencil, will that be a problem?'.

I offered her a highlighter...

That's just evil.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter detailing your evil deeds.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”