0510: "Egg Drop Failure"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

menday0814

Re: "Egg Drop Failure" Discussion

Postby menday0814 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:27 am UTC

Oh man! this was the best part of Physics 11. My friend and i used a roll of Bounty, worked like a charm :)
Our backup plan was to use a container of Jell-O, but we gave it to another group who had nothing. So they threw it out the second storey window and the container broke open on impact. The egg however bounced off the Jello and landed gently on the ground. Gold.

LuckyDucky

Postby LuckyDucky » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:44 am UTC

I did the same thing but with plain water.

From 30 feet I had:
Big zip-loc filled with water
Medium zip-loc filled with water
small zip-loc with egg and some tissues

The outside bag was supposed to absorb everything, so that'd pop, but the medium bag would take any left over pressure and keep the small cushioned bag safe.

Super simple, and it worked :)

LuckyDucky

Postby LuckyDucky » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:46 am UTC

masher wrote:I did an egg drop in highschool; it failed.

Also, does anyone know how to view the alt text on an itouch?

And it's an iPod touch. The iTouch is a series of mice and keyboards by Logitech. I know because I used to have some.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:02 pm UTC

we only got 20 straws and 6 inches of tape. and the tape couldn't touch the egg.
everyone failed, mostly because we all made ours to fall straight down but the wind was so strong everything was tumbling around in the air, most stuff didn't even land in the target area.
ImageImageImageImageImage

djn

Postby djn » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:12 pm UTC

I hope I'm not the only one that saw the title and expected an IRC bot pun?

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:31 pm UTC

Wah, all of you guys are so lucky. Even though I live in the US, I never got to do an egg drop. All we did was launch a bottle rocket and have a paper airplane contest. I didn't win.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

munchman

Postby munchman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

We did an egg drop in science in 7th grade. A 15"3 box filled with a block of polystyrene and the smallest egg you can find in the middle works flawlessly.
There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1
Compaq Presario CQ60. 2GB Ram, Intel Celeron Dual Core Processor, Windows Vista Home Premium. 250 GB HDD

embernator

Re: Egg Drop Failure Discussion

Postby embernator » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

I have done so many egg drops. By far the worst was at space camp though. The camp I was at went to the official CSA space camp for a weekend. We did shuttle simulations and the zero g simulation and all that fun stuff. And after that we had to do an egg drop. There were 6 groups of 6-8 people from the ages of 13-16 from the camp I was at. And there were also a bunch of groups maybe 3-4 kids aged 5-6. Every group (including my own) from my camp lost horribly to the 5 year olds. It was so embarrassing. We not old had broken eggs, we also had yolk spraying on the judges and on the walls and on the 5 year olds.... Wow

Sgeo wrote:In 6th grade, my class apparently knocked some toy of another class out the window, which was used to start a war between the classes. There was a trial, and I was put on as a witness. I wasn't paying attention when the event happened, so I said that I didn't know. "Why are you up here?" I didn't have a response, but someone else said "Because you called him up"

Anyway, I realized after the "trial" that it was staged, because there were "jurors" from our class and the same number in theirs, and apparently a tie meant that we (the defendents) one. Another classmate later revealed that there was a schedule of events, with listed winners..

So yeah, that's my vaguely-not-really-related-to-eggdrop-story..

I have an unrelated story too! For one of my classes here we had to design (they said 'engineer' so it would be more relavent) a car out of 2 pop bottles, 6 rubber bands and 4 straws. It had to go the furthest without leaving the ground and it also had to be the most controlled in a second test (had to go the closest to 1 m). As it turns out, Coke makes a pretty decent car every time the mass produce a bottle. So we just left our bottle as a borttle and made a launcher out of the rubber bands and straws. It went the furthest by ovfer 6 m and was the most accurate by 10 cm. But later they diceded to disqualify us 'cause we didn't design anything. NOT TRUE! We designed a launcher >.>;

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

I once did an egg drop in which we were only afforded 12 straws and 1 metre of masking tape ~ pretty harsh. I think that one group did actually succeed, but all I can really recall from that day is the ludicrously exhaustive (and delightfully uninformed all-round) arguing about which which is the naturally strongest shape. :-P

(P.S. I'm Australian, so the egg drop isn't an exclusively American thing.)

P.P.S. All you guys whose winning entries were disqualified for "not being in the spirit of the competition" -- you're awesome.

Flagpole Sitta

Postby Flagpole Sitta » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

My Junior year of high school the physics final exam was an egg drop. We were given 10 sheets of paper and a meter of masking tape, and then had to calculate things like force of impact and whatnot. You got extra credit if the egg didn't break. My group was one of the few who got it, and we used my idea! :mrgreen:

We just made a cone out of the paper and placed the egg down into it. It worked liked a charm! *proud proud*

EDIT:
The Rumpled Academic wrote:I think that one group did actually succeed, but all I can really recall from that day is the ludicrously exhaustive (and delightfully uninformed all-round) arguing about which which is the naturally strongest shape. :-P

I'm pretty sure it's a triangle, thus a cone...
Poxic is, like, awesome. She's my favorite.

Kapojinha is pretty awesome too. <3

Think0028

Postby Think0028 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

One time, during a summer camp, we had done multiple egg drops, and my egg had always broken. Feeling a tad disheartened, for the last drop, I built the DEATH CONTAINER. 2 styrofoam cups taped together with toothpicks poked into it all over. I just plopped the egg into the center with nothing to secure it whatsoever. Just for the heck of it, I threw in a bunch of loose straws as well.

How I cannot fathom, but somehow the straws all bundled up beneath the egg and prevented it from cracking or impaling itself on one of the toothpicks. Despite the fact that it was in free fall.

Tacos

Postby Tacos » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

I had an egg drop in 9th grade, too. The rules were simple: use no commercial packing material or any air resistance design. My design used an easter egg that contained the egg and tissues. That was then held together with rubber bands and placed in a shoe box and suspended using a series of broken rubber bands. The box was weighted on one end with a solid rubber ball I ducttapped in. I made it at 6 AM when I realized it was due. It was the only one that survived after the first drop. I still have it (minus the egg).

Awesome, Turnips!

Postby Awesome, Turnips! » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

Damn! So close!

Lil'Bondy

Postby Lil'Bondy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:25 pm UTC

I remember a project similar to this in my first year of high school. The goal was to keep your object (weighted blob of plasticine) in the air for the longest amount of time, by dropping it off the second story with a hastily made parachute (made within the hour). Several dropped harder than bricks, while one lasted 14 seconds, our team opted to go last, but just before we were to make our drop the wind got a good deal stronger, so we had to wait before we started (some of the students said that I was waiting too long to drop it, so I let go and it pushed against the wall without moving, once this happened I started counting out REALLY loud. They took back their comments and told me to drop it again), once the wind died down a little I saw a hot spot on the ground below and threw my parachute over that, which immediately blew it upwards and over the buildings. It went right around the school and eventually landed on a speed sign half a kilometer away, the time was only counted for when it was in view, but a full 2 and a half minutes is a damn sight better on the records than 14 seconds. (All the kids complained that my team should be disqualified, but the teacher realised I did it on purpose and explained it to them.)

When it was my stepbrothers turn to do this, we all secretly chipped in at home with my dads idea of making a hot air balloon, which we made, tested, nearly caused a bushfire, recollected and used, the second time having a safety line between the balloon and the ground. =] He won outright with other peoples contraptions doing nothing above 15 seconds.

hagger wrote:
Unforgiven wrote:So I gather from this thread an "egg drop" is some sort of contest at school where you have to design a contraption to safely drop an egg from some height?

Because this is the first I've ever heard of it.

I too have never heard of one of these. I assume it's an American thing? We did bottle rockets and a parachute, but no egg drops.

We did an egg and spoon race, which was Uber. Ah, sweet memories.

I think its more of a thing that 'some' schools do, I have heard of it down here in Australia, and I'm quite sure some schools here have done it too, maybe we had other things instead (making rockets (containing eggs) that survived impact etc).

Aspergia wrote:Instead of any normal sort of egg drop, our school had us build a model bridge which had to span a foot-wide gap between two desks and support a carton of eggs. We could only use sticky tape, sewing cotton and plastic drinking straws.

We also had this in our primary school, unfortunately I never got to do it, but my brother did, the materials he was allowed were newspaper sticky tape and I think 'Popsicle' sticks (I think thats what you call them), he had limited supplies (no infinite newspaper etc) and made one that could carry the principle (a good 100 or more kilo man). I wish I had the picture from that day, it was most impressive.

Bulvox wrote:Wah, all of you guys are so lucky. Even though I live in the US, I never got to do an egg drop. All we did was launch a bottle rocket and have a paper airplane contest. I didn't win.

Paper plane contests can be fun too, mine not only made the distance required, but after reaching the target, turned and went down the hill and got caught in a tree (for a nice 15 second flight). And come on, bottle rockets are awesome too. Just gotta be inventive and not go for the usual designs.

The Rumpled Academic wrote:(P.S. I'm Australian, so the egg drop isn't an exclusively American thing.)

P.P.S. All you guys whose winning entries were disqualified for "not being in the spirit of the competition" -- you're awesome.

Well, there you go, it is done here in Aus =] And I definitely agree with that last statement on the spirit of the competition. My father always pitted the 6 of us kids (2 step-family) against each other in inventive ways usually in the form of one of these competitions with the judge being him and my stepmother, he endorsed being outside the box (not being in the spirit of the competition).

(Yeah, I realise I make my posts 'worthwhile')
So I 'meow' a lot... Get used to it!

Electric Prophet

Postby Electric Prophet » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:05 am UTC

We never did the egg drop when I was in school! Woe.

Supakitsune

Postby Supakitsune » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:21 am UTC

djn wrote:I hope I'm not the only one that saw the title and expected an IRC bot pun?
Don't worry; you're not alone.

Personally, I never did the egg drop.
I'd probably have sucked at it anyway, sooooooo.... :(

kelachrome

Postby kelachrome » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:24 am UTC

I did the previously mentioned bridge project first, in elementary school, in what they called a "tech and engineering" class (it was one of our weekly electives, oddly enough. art, music, gym, computers...engineering. LOL). We were taught about gravity, compression and tension, given balsa wood, hot glue, and a week (in retrospect, <sarcasm> wonderful </sarcasm> idea to give 11 year-olds hot glue guns and sharp knives). It had to span a 14" gap and had to be under 1 lb.

It was so not my fault that the teacher had stopped teaching about torsion and its causes because he hadn't seen a bridge design exibiting it in 20 years of teaching >_< My bridge had a superstructure, substructure, and was made of trusses because even back then I knew how to listen :P Held 110 lbs and then twisted and the wooden block (to which was attatched a plastic bucket with weights) fell through the bottom.

Still far and away the best in the class :)

Egg drop, I did in high school...as a few others have said, we made a suspension device. We were allowed to use 100 toothpicks, 15 rubberbands, and glue. Stuck Eggbert (yes, we named it. and drew a face on, and everything) in a rubber-band harness suspended in a toothpick cube. He survived the drop from the roof just fine :)

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:32 am UTC

I'm in ur thread... stealin your egg drop competition ideaz!

Seriously, all your ideas are now mine. I'm already thinking up designs based on your findings.

How about this: Some water bubblers use cone-shaped cups instead of normal cylindrical ones. Get me one of those, but maybe a bit bigger. Now, hole-punch 4 holes into it, thread some string through it and tie, possibly duct tape also. Then, inflate a single balloon with helium. Get a plastic grocery bag, cut off the handles, put the balloon in the bag, punch 4 holes at the rim of the bag, tie the other ends of the 4 strings from the cup to the bag using the holes. Again, duct tape if necessary or desired.

Thus, an air-balloon-parachute-cone-thingy! It should work very well, but will violate the rules of most egg drop competitions.

I never did an egg drop in school, but now I'm going to suggest it to my Physics teacher. I did one in summer camp once, I can't remember whether or not it worked, though... :|

The thing I've found is, rubber band/plastic straw suspension systems to hold the egg in place do not frequently work. Straws aren't very rigid, it's difficult to set up rubber bands to work like that, etc. And, usually the egg still gets to rattle around a bit, which does even more damage than if it could have moved freely. :(

Heh... hehehehe. You guys talking about suspension systems and cubes of toothpicks, and me not believing they work. I just got an amazing mental image of an extremely elaborate cube of toothpicks shattering on the ground, but managing to keep its egg intact. It looks so funny.

For a liquid-filled container approach, to keep the egg in the center of the container instead of the bottom, I suggest the following. Half-fill the container with a liquid heavier than water (Ex. oil). Then, put the egg in. With luck, it will float on top of the liquid. Then fill the container the rest of the way with water.

Hard-boiling the egg (forbidden in almost all competition rule arrangements) would strengthen the interior, of course, but I believe it would make the shell more brittle and easily broken. If someone has data proving otherwise, I would be glad to hear about it.

On the subject of the comic, egg drop fail? More like Egg Drop EPIC WIN! :mrgreen: The egg's destroyed, but the bird is alive and well!

... Yeah, I talk a lot when I care about the subject. That's how you can tell what I care about, and what I wish you would stop talking to me about.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:52 am UTC

_MC_ wrote:We did a toothpick bridge building competition sometime in high school. We were only allowed to use toothpicks and glue. The effectiveness of the bridge was measured as some function of the weight of the bridge and the weight it could hold, though I don't remember exactly what it was. I know mine did quite well, but no other bridge in that class could compare to the kids who made one by gluing a huge mass of toothpicks together. Sure, it was heavy, but it didn't break even after people stood on it.

We did this, where the winner was the one with the highest strength-to-weight ratio. In terms of absolute strength, the best was an arch bridge built from 2kg of toothpicks -- it held almost 1000kg. The best strength-to-weight ratio, on the other hand, was a 34-gram space frame that only managed to hold 25kg.

In fifth grade, my class did an egg drop with no material restrictions. I was into model rocketry at the time, and one class of rocket is the "egglofter": a rocket designed to carry an egg (or other payload) and return it safely to the ground. My entry was simply the nosecone of an egglofter, with a 36-inch parachute attached. In retrospect, it's a good thing there wasn't much of an updraft off the parking lot that day: it would have been embarassing to watch my entry go sailing off into the sky.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:55 am UTC

Pheh, all you people with all your fancy equipment. In my egg drop in ninth grade, we were allowed a folder (one of those yellowish ones you stick in file cabinets), a foot of scotch tape, and 45 minutes to build a contraption that would safely land an egg from 15-20 ft up (1.5-2 stories) with no parts specifically for increasing drag.

Ours did pretty well. We built a tube with a ring to hold the egg in it, a cone nose with folded papers to soften the blow, and stabilizer fins near the back to keep the nose down (god help us if it flipped in flight, I don't remember if there was anything securing the egg from the top). The egg survived the first 15 foot fall, but broke on the second one.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:09 am UTC

The Rumpled Academic wrote:I once did an egg drop in which we were only afforded 12 straws and 1 metre of masking tape ~ pretty harsh. I think that one group did actually succeed, but all I can really recall from that day is the ludicrously exhaustive (and delightfully uninformed all-round) arguing about which which is the naturally strongest shape. :-P

Twelve? That's plenty: just tape each straw individually to the side of the egg so they're sticking out in all directions, then tape up the joints where the straws cross for increased stiffness, making sure the straws stay round. Wrap any leftover tape around the center to hold things together better.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:11 am UTC

hideki101 wrote:Ours did pretty well. We built a tube with a ring to hold the egg in it, a cone nose with folded papers to soften the blow, and stabilizer fins near the back to keep the nose down (god help us if it flipped in flight, I don't remember if there was anything securing the egg from the top). The egg survived the first 15 foot fall, but broke on the second one.

No stabilizers needed: a sufficiently large cone with an egg in it naturally wants to fall nose-down, since the center of gravity is ahead of the center of drag.

petermottola

Postby petermottola » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:35 am UTC

When I did the egg drop instead, of wasting time devising some cockamamie plan like the other teams, my team just used all of our materials to create the biggest cushion we could. We won.

Nasaniaru

Postby Nasaniaru » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:01 am UTC

I remember egg drops, I lost some, MAYBE won others, but they all were pretty unimpressive for me. I liked the Bridge projects that other people mentioned. I had to build one in my problem solving class and I may not have won, but I came in like the top 5 of a 13 person class so I felt reasonably proud considering that the topics covered in Problem Solving class were not in my strengths as far as interests and academics went.
A tree planted near the water bears fruit, but only when the time is right. Its leaves won't ever wither and it brings prosperity to all.

Move forward and continue to move forward. Do not come to a standstill. This is my Priority One!

SwissArmyAnts

Postby SwissArmyAnts » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:22 am UTC

Basilisk wrote:
suzi wrote:The egg drop in my high school was restricted to paper and scotch tape, and you got more points the lighter it was. I didn't take physics, but a friend made (I think) the best one in class...a simple cone shape with frayed edges, and strips of paper packed down the front of the cone. I think it was only three or four pieces of paper all told, and it hovered down very very slowly out of the 3rd story window and gracefully crumpled on the sidewalk, both eggs completely intact. It was fantastic.

You got tape? The only one I've done was in 8th grade, and we were restricted to letter size sheets of paper (don't remember the exact number, but around 6 or so) and had one class period to build them. One egg in the class survived. It wasn't mine.

You got paper? When I was a kid, our school district was so poor that we got nothing but a wad of chewing gum, an old McDonald's wrapper and a used condom. All of which we had to share with the other groups.
CALVINIST ARGUMENT, a.k.a. TERTULLIAN'S ARGUMENT
(1) If God exists, then he will let me watch you be tortured forever.
(2) I rather like that idea.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

Ragashingo

Postby Ragashingo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:40 am UTC

For my egg drop we were limited to toothpicks and glue. I built a largeish cube about a foot on each side. The egg was suspended in the middle by a network of toothpicks. I then made lots of double long toothpicks by glueing one to the end of the other and glued these so they pointed outward in all directions. I'm pretty sure it worked alright.

I also did the bridge experiment. Everyone around me was building the uninspired 5+ toothpick thick 1 foot long bridge but I took a different route when the teacher came over to me and suggested using triangular walls and a ceiling to hold it together. We place the bridges over the gap between two tables and threaded a metal pipe over them, or through them in my case. The pipe was then connected to a "normal" sized bucket that would be filled with sand. It came down to a battle between my bridge and the thickest of the boring bridges and in the end mine won handily. Everyone was amazed because my bridge was only a single layer of toothpicks + the triangular supports and weighted a fraction of the other bridges.

motex

Postby motex » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

I've had the opportunity to do two egg drops. The first one, in eighth grade intro to science or some such, I went pretty all out. MY egg was inside a small box full of packing materials, suspended by rubber bands inside a larger box (maybe 1' x 1') also full of packing materials. it worked fine, I even was able to take out the small box and just drop it without breaking the egg in a second run.

the second time was earlier this year in my physics class. I couldn't be bothered to do anything, actually I forgot about it till right before class, so I wadded up my sweatshirt with the egg in the middle. 12-14 foot drop onto cement? no problem at all. Some of the kids who spent days making designs such as those described in this thread were.. not happy. :twisted:

*notes positive correlation between age and laziness*
If I could feel, I would feel love.
If I could touch, I would touch God
If I could see, I would see truth
And if I could kill, you
would
be
first.

ysth

Postby ysth » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:GENERATION -14+31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
That would make more sense if it wasn't the first term in the series (assuming you didn't see a 3.09078393894605+4.85313768167016i or -3.09078393894605-4.85313768167016i somewhere).

I can only find 5 starting values that lead to a (the same) cycle. But I have the feeling there are more.
Last edited by ysth on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

Troger64

Postby Troger64 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

Speaking of fail....

is there going to be a 100m failget comic?

ErrantMind

Postby ErrantMind » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:52 am UTC

Ah, egg drops bring out the geek nostalgia big time.

My favorite was an egg carefully taped to the center of a small cardboard panel. The look on everyones' face as I set that next to their varied contraptions was priceless. But not as priceless as their faces when it spun to safety from any height and orientation.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:27 am UTC

Elipongo wrote:Boy, that chick learned to fly pretty fast!

Especially considering chickens can't fly.

I'm a bit embarrassed that I just now realized that, but on the other hand I'm apparently the first one.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:44 am UTC

Wikipedia wrote:Domestic chickens are not capable of long distance flight, although lighter birds are generally capable of flying for short distances, such as over fences or into trees (where they would naturally roost). Chickens will sometimes fly to explore their surroundings, but usually do so only to flee perceived danger. Because of the risk of escape, chickens raised in open-air pens often have one of their wings clipped by the breeder—the tips of the longest feathers on one of the wings are cut, resulting in unbalanced flight which the bird cannot sustain for more than a few meters, and it is thus discouraged from flying at all

Huh.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:51 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:

I'm a bit embarrassed that I just now realized that, but on the other hand I'm apparently the first one.

Not true. Many breeds of domestic chicken are capable of short distance flight - enough, say, to get from the ground to a perch - although their ability isn't as good as their wild ancestors.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel
Location: I am a child of the city of destruction . . . So, my location is the city of dectruction!

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:52 am UTC

The Rumpled Academic wrote:P.P.S. All you guys whose winning entries were disqualified for "not being in the spirit of the competition" -- you're awesome.

They deserve cake! . . . or something that's not a lie! :mrgreen:

At my primary school, there was an egg drop once (I have since moved on to high school) . . . the whole school was involved . . . there were about 15 people! lol! It was a small country school in the middle of nowhere!

We all had a limit of 10 cm by 10 cm by 10 cm as the max size the egg container could be . . . We had a week end to get stuff and had to assemble it at school . . . I went home and got some of my mums foam stuff for putting in comfy chairs and stuff . . . I took it to school. I took one of the stanley knives (those packing knives that have an extendable blade that can brake off) (while the teacher wasn't looking) and cut my stuff in half. I used it to hollow out a little bit of the centre so that the egg could fit. All eggs were placed in a small plastic bag. I put the egg in and tested it at a metre high. It worked well. But it fell apart when it hit the floor. I decided to tape it up so that it didn't do that again. Next was the drop from the roof. It was amasing! The teacher droped it onto concrete! (we werent aloud parachutes, he said that if we did try to use them, he would throw it as hard as he could with the parachute at the bottom) when it hit the ground it bounced . . . then it rolled slightly . . . I opened it up . . . it had a hairline break! No egg stuff was coming out of it! It didn't break! Only the outer shell cracked! It didn't break . . . I felt so pissed off when the teacher said that there was a crack and that means that I loose . . . I threw the egg at his feet! It was my first detention in 2 years! . . . also, every other egg smashed spectacularly My one lived! (well, it would have if I had have not used it to splatter stuff all over my teachers pants :wink: ) . . . no one else got anywhere neer how good my one was! I won! Damn it! I WON!!! :cry: stupid teacher! :(

mollusk

Postby mollusk » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:02 pm UTC

My little brother recently did an egg drop where the only rule was that the "container" had to be the size of a cantelope or smaller. I was very impressed when he cut a cantelope in half, smushed the egg into the center and duct taped the fruit back together.

The verdict?
1 unbroken egg
John Hodgman wrote:...while the truth may be stranger than fiction, it is never as strange as lies . . . or as true.

highschool204

Postby highschool204 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:14 am UTC

ok well i had an egg drop, in grade 5 and i dont remember so mutch of it ...
anyway im in highschool atm, and i need to make an egg fall roughly 12 feet (1 floor) in 5 seconds or more and it has to not be broken after 2 falls...
i have a basic idea, tho i was wondering if any1 knows any particular design for my parachute..
also i cannot use toy helicopters to lift my egg, "its against hte rules" ...
anyway, i have no restrictions to materials, tho they cannot be any machinery, and yes htat includes popbottles.

Firewall422

Postby Firewall422 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:10 am UTC

ConMan wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:

Not true. Many breeds of domestic chicken are capable of short distance flight - enough, say, to get from the ground to a perch - although their ability isn't as good as their wild ancestors.

Regardless, that is one powerful chick.

Have you seen how long it takes for a chicken to get out of an egg? Youtube it.

littelbro14

Postby littelbro14 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:02 am UTC

highschool204 wrote:ok well i had an egg drop, in grade 5 and i dont remember so mutch of it ...
anyway im in highschool atm, and i need to make an egg fall roughly 12 feet (1 floor) in 5 seconds or more and it has to not be broken after 2 falls...
i have a basic idea, tho i was wondering if any1 knows any particular design for my parachute..
also i cannot use toy helicopters to lift my egg, "its against hte rules" ...
anyway, i have no restrictions to materials, tho they cannot be any machinery, and yes htat includes popbottles.

Cornstarch and water? Or there seems to be a ton of great ideas spread all throughout this thread.

Tacos

Postby Tacos » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:36 am UTC

:idea: Random Thought of the Day :idea: Use rocket motors to slow fall of egg. Get the torque and thrust right and wow your friends. Get it wrong and... :shock: well lets just say egging teachers cars from 300m away at anything over what you would see on a sportscar spedometer is bad.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:40 am UTC

Tacos wrote::idea: Random Thought of the Day :idea: Use rocket motors to slow fall of egg. Get the torque and thrust right and wow your friends. Get it wrong and... :shock: well lets just say egging teachers cars from 300m away at anything over what you would see on a sportscar spedometer is bad.

You'd have to build your own: standard model rocket engines don't come that small.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”