0166: "Misusing Slang"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Shoofle
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:28 pm UTC
Location: Location, Location.
Contact:

0166: "Misusing Slang"

Postby Shoofle » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:05 am UTC

Man, I never thought about it from that perspective. When adults do it, I squirm. Now... I can imagine it being so much fun... I shall derive enjoyment!

Aside: I might not be doing discussion topics anymore. Maybe.

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby no-genius » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:15 am UTC

That comic is so shiny

Thinking about it, when I'm old there'll be a whole generation's worth of slang to avoid comunicating with anyone over the age of 20. I can't wait til I'm on the knowledgeable and (so they say) wiser side of the generation gap.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

User avatar
rachel
Witch (?)
Posts: 2478
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:26 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby rachel » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:22 am UTC

I've never actually heard an old (older) person use any sort of slang word. I assume it would be awkward, though.

lemurs1
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:26 am UTC
Location: AZ
Contact:

Postby lemurs1 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:34 am UTC

How is he misusing it? That's how I talk.

ERTW
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:44 am UTC

Postby ERTW » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:41 am UTC

Well I now have a plan for the next tutorial I have to give.

Penguin
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:54 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge, MA
Contact:

Postby Penguin » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:55 am UTC

My dad used to tease us by saying things were "groovy". Heh.

lemurs1: notice the "IS".
<3!

User avatar
McMillian
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:09 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby McMillian » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:02 am UTC

This comic was so LOLed

lemurs1
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:26 am UTC
Location: AZ
Contact:

Postby lemurs1 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:36 pm UTC

Penguin wrote:lemurs1: notice the "IS".


That "IS" still how I talk.... Not braggin' or nothin'. It's just awesome, or whatever.

Penguin
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:54 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge, MA
Contact:

Postby Penguin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:46 am UTC

Still, you'd agree that to most, the phrases "that song is pwned" and "that song pwned" are pretty significantly different in meaning, no?
<3!

User avatar
xhuxus
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:53 am UTC
Location: funkland, usa
Contact:

Postby xhuxus » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:43 pm UTC

Penguin wrote:My dad used to tease us by saying things were "groovy". Heh.


that's what i thought my ma was doing when she used to use the word "cool," but no, "cool" as a slang word really is old enough that my mother (who happens to be on the old side as far as mothers go, but that's a secret) can use it.

speaking of which, is "cool" now too outdated to use? has it really lost its edge in the age of instantaneous digital communication? is everything now just "pwning"? and how long do i have to wait for "pwn" to die? geez-oh-pete.

also: old slang totally pwns. like 'the cat's pajamas.' hee-hee. pajamas.
whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it

User avatar
xkcd
Site Ninja
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:03 am UTC
Contact:

Postby xkcd » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:00 pm UTC

xhuxus wrote:speaking of which, is "cool" now too outdated to use? has it really lost its edge in the age of instantaneous digital communication? is everything now just "pwning"? and how long do i have to wait for "pwn" to die? geez-oh-pete.

also: old slang totally pwns. like 'the cat's pajamas.' hee-hee. pajamas.


"cool" has remained pretty steadfast, actually, as long as I've been alive. Every now and then older people will catch other people saying "cool" and make fun of them, assuming that it's outdated by now. I remember some columnist writing something like "Elizabeth Dole said in a speech yesterday, 'Drugs aren't cool. They kill,' conclusively proving that she's the last person in the country to use the word 'cool'." I read that like 10 years ago and thought ". . . she is? My friends say it all the time." Now, ten years later, it's still in just as common use, as far as I've seen.

I haven't really heard "pwn" used without an indirect object (am I using that term right?) As in "she pwns" versus "she pwned him" -- I hadn't heard the former much. It might be slipping into style, but I'm pretty sure the use in the comic -- plain adjective form -- is not.

Flapper slang from the '20's really is the berries.

Lastly, here is a fun concept that I am not using in a comic because I wasn't the first to think of it, but I like it a lot: "rent to pwn"

kira
I hate bananas.
Posts: 904
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:21 am UTC
Location: school
Contact:

Postby kira » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:59 pm UTC

In the spirit of this strip, I included the phrase "hata-blockas" in the review I gave my students for their test. Needless to say, there was much snickering. Then I informed them that I was indeed "down with my homies" and "cool with the hood".

One of my students asked to transfer out of my class because I'm "scary".

Pssssh.

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby no-genius » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:47 am UTC

kira wrote:In the spirit of this strip, I included the phrase "hata-blockas" in the review I gave my students for their test. Needless to say, there was much snickering. Then I informed them that I was indeed "down with my homies" and "cool with the hood".

One of my students asked to transfer out of my class because I'm "scary".

Pssssh.


Hahaha

So you didnt say 'down with the(/tha) yoot' ?
I've always thought anyone who said this clearly wasnt.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

User avatar
xhuxus
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:53 am UTC
Location: funkland, usa
Contact:

Postby xhuxus » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:08 am UTC

xkcd wrote:"cool" has remained pretty steadfast, actually, as long as I've been alive. Every now and then older people will catch other people saying "cool" and make fun of them, assuming that it's outdated by now. I remember some columnist writing something like "Elizabeth Dole said in a speech yesterday, 'Drugs aren't cool. They kill,' conclusively proving that she's the last person in the country to use the word 'cool'." I read that like 10 years ago and thought ". . . she is? My friends say it all the time." Now, ten years later, it's still in just as common use, as far as I've seen.

I haven't really heard "pwn" used without an indirect object (am I using that term right?) As in "she pwns" versus "she pwned him" -- I hadn't heard the former much. It might be slipping into style, but I'm pretty sure the use in the comic -- plain adjective form -- is not.

Flapper slang from the '20's really is the berries.

Lastly, here is a fun concept that I am not using in a comic because I wasn't the first to think of it, but I like it a lot: "rent to pwn"


sweet :) i don't really think cool is dying out, but i wouldn't stop saying it even if it were, because i hate change! or i just like saying it. one of those, i forget which. though it seems like people around me are starting to use the word 'awesome' more in its place, by which i mean i still hear "i got this really cool model lobster today!" but i rarely seem to encounter "that's so cool" or "cool" as a stand-alone interjection anymore. but that could simply be the speech pattern of the people i interact with.

and no, pwn isn't usually used without an indirect object (which is the correct term :) ), because it's a verb generally associated with aggresion or dominance over something in particular, such as a rival in one of these fancy online vidya games the kids play these days... i chose to use it here without one just 'cause, but you are correct, using the past tense of the verb as an adjective isn't something i've ever seen and will certainly make future generations wish you would just say "cool" like a well-behaved old person.

saying 'the berries' makes you the bee's knees.

and rent to pwn = instant classic
whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:30 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Postby EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:11 am UTC

It's bothering to use words that shouldn't be "classical" at my age, and not have people understand them. "Swag", for example. I can distinctly recall five separate encounters in which a conversational opponent, weighed down with anywhere from one to several bags of apparently free stuff, stares at me when I ask "where did you get all that swag"?

Additionally, my generation needs to start making up strange slang words to embarrass the next with. Like "Murdy", as an explicitive.
When you have at your disposal a hammer made of three spacefaring battleships, do you still need to pay taxes?

User avatar
tarun
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:01 pm UTC

An orkut profile

Postby tarun » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:11 pm UTC

Talking about cringe-worthy -

Source: http://www.orkut.com/Profile.aspx?uid=1 ... 1927756187

U*$*$*W*@*L *ITZ COOL TO BE A HATER*

about me: i like living life on the edge...im not ur average friendly gossip bollywood crazy guy....id take up any challenge anytime,anywhere....i like being the best...m damn competative... im very passionate...i do n don brag...m a one man army... nothin specific to describe me...cud call me a redneck cud call me crazy, cocky wateva...i don judje myself by the odds opinion...im criticised by most..of jealousy..frankly i don give a damn...hate being betrayed my sum1 promising..hate being backstabbed..u gud 2 me...im gonna be better.u bad m not gonna b worse..m jus gonna think ur a junkie...m normally kind 2 ppl..no matter how bad they r to me..im tolerating...can trust me wid ur life..but wen it gets bad im the hater..im a stutterer n im proud of it..m sensitive but strong...ive not bn at my best since a no. o years.. m a fun guy..i hate wannabees,egoistic s.o.b's,n attitude ...i love jlo..n im craaaazy!! abt kelly clarkson...n a total rock music digger...m a die hard fan of def leapord,judas priest n rob zombie...not to forget fred durst,n 1 more thing im not cocky..jus confident.....


It's not wrong to cry.

User avatar
ryan
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:13 pm UTC

Postby ryan » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:41 pm UTC

Whenever I see a profile like that, I wonder about the human race.

On a completely different note, great comic!
I've been reading for about a month, and I decided to post now. Hello!

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: An orkut profile

Postby no-genius » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:45 pm UTC

tarun wrote:Talking about cringe-worthy -

Source: http://www.orkut.com/Profile.aspx?uid=1 ... 1927756187

U*$*$*W*@*L *ITZ COOL TO BE A HATER*

about me: i like living life on the edge...im not ur average friendly gossip bollywood crazy guy....id take up any challenge anytime,anywhere....i like being the best...m damn competative... im very passionate...i do n don brag...m a one man army... nothin specific to describe me...cud call me a redneck cud call me crazy, cocky wateva...i don judje myself by the odds opinion...im criticised by most..of jealousy..frankly i don give a damn...hate being betrayed my sum1 promising..hate being backstabbed..u gud 2 me...im gonna be better.u bad m not gonna b worse..m jus gonna think ur a junkie...m normally kind 2 ppl..no matter how bad they r to me..im tolerating...can trust me wid ur life..but wen it gets bad im the hater..im a stutterer n im proud of it..m sensitive but strong...ive not bn at my best since a no. o years.. m a fun guy..i hate wannabees,egoistic s.o.b's,n attitude ...i love jlo..n im craaaazy!! abt kelly clarkson...n a total rock music digger...m a die hard fan of def leapord,judas priest n rob zombie...not to forget fred durst,n 1 more thing im not cocky..jus confident.....


It's not wrong to cry.


Do you ever think entropy death might not be a bad thing?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

User avatar
davean
Site Ninja
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:50 am UTC
Contact:

Re: An orkut profile

Postby davean » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:06 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:
tarun wrote:Talking about cringe-worthy -

Source: http://www.orkut.com/Profile.aspx?uid=1 ... 1927756187

U*$*$*W*@*L *ITZ COOL TO BE A HATER*

about me: i like living life on the edge...im not ur average friendly gossip bollywood crazy guy....id take up any challenge anytime,anywhere....i like being the best...m damn competative... im very passionate...i do n don brag...m a one man army... nothin specific to describe me...cud call me a redneck cud call me crazy, cocky wateva...i don judje myself by the odds opinion...im criticised by most..of jealousy..frankly i don give a damn...hate being betrayed my sum1 promising..hate being backstabbed..u gud 2 me...im gonna be better.u bad m not gonna b worse..m jus gonna think ur a junkie...m normally kind 2 ppl..no matter how bad they r to me..im tolerating...can trust me wid ur life..but wen it gets bad im the hater..im a stutterer n im proud of it..m sensitive but strong...ive not bn at my best since a no. o years.. m a fun guy..i hate wannabees,egoistic s.o.b's,n attitude ...i love jlo..n im craaaazy!! abt kelly clarkson...n a total rock music digger...m a die hard fan of def leapord,judas priest n rob zombie...not to forget fred durst,n 1 more thing im not cocky..jus confident.....


It's not wrong to cry.


Do you ever think entropy death might not be a bad thing?



Occasionally I lament how long I'd have to wait for it.

User avatar
Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Longmont, CO
Contact:

Postby Umlaut » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:38 pm UTC

Gazziza Dilznoofus Bill McNeal saying get with the crezappy taste of Rocketfuel Malt Liquor... Rocketfuel's got the upstate prison flavor that keeps you ugly all night long. So when you wanna get sick remember, nothing makes yo' feet stank like Rocketfuel Malt Liquor... DAMN! It's crezappy!

Shazam!

User avatar
ijmaxwell
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:10 am UTC

Postby ijmaxwell » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:52 pm UTC

I was discussing this with a friend, and we determined that the reason <cool> has stuck around is that no non-slang word means exactly the same thing.

It doesn't just mean good, though it's a good property to have. Beef stew is pretty good but not especially cool, and space death rays are very cool but probably not good.

It doesn't just mean interesting, though I think all cool things are interesting. If I fell into an open manhole and broke my legs, I'd be pretty interested but I don't think I'd say, "Hey, cool!"

It sometimes refers to a form of social approval, but it's used outside that sense too. I think modern algebra is (to use the local vernacular) wicked cool, but somehow the rest of the world fails to agree with me on this.

So basically, if <cool> became uncool, we would have no other simple word or phrase to fall back on.

User avatar
theY4Kman
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:12 pm UTC
Location: Behind you.
Contact:

Postby theY4Kman » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:30 pm UTC

I concur, and I also wish to hand out the newest and greatest upcoming interjection: "Shwag!"
(Cue the dancing women in bikinis.)
<3 Rela82me: "I use Windows because I'm too poor for Mac and too stupid for Linux."

User avatar
ijmaxwell
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:10 am UTC

Postby ijmaxwell » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:57 pm UTC

Oh! Um.

Umlaut, I didn't mean to steal your name. Should I change it?

User avatar
Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Longmont, CO
Contact:

Postby Umlaut » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:25 pm UTC

Your name is just the heavy metal version of mine, I grant you clemency.

User avatar
Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:25 am UTC
Location: Drinks Cabinet.
Contact:

Postby Verysillyman » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:04 am UTC

I like original better.

If cool were gone, we could totally use 'swell'.

User avatar
rachel
Witch (?)
Posts: 2478
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:26 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby rachel » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:57 am UTC

I prefer to say things like neat, swell, nifty, amazing, fun and exciting (used together) or amazing. I very rarely use the generic term 'cool' and if I do use it that usually means I am bored with the conversation and not interested enough to come up with something better to respond with.

User avatar
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist
Posts: 8635
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Basingstoke, England.
Contact:

Postby Jesse » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:41 am UTC

Bodacious needs to make a return to the language.

User avatar
theY4Kman
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:12 pm UTC
Location: Behind you.
Contact:

Postby theY4Kman » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:40 am UTC

Verysillyman wrote:I like original better.

If cool were gone, we could totally use 'swell'.

I don't think you'd want to totally use it. I mean, you might want to use it once or twice every few sentences, but you shouldn't feel the need to announce 'swell' as the sovereign word :D
<3 Rela82me: "I use Windows because I'm too poor for Mac and too stupid for Linux."

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby no-genius » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:14 am UTC

theY4Kman wrote:I concur, and I also wish to hand out the newest and greatest upcoming interjection: "Shwag!"
(Cue the dancing women in bikinis.)


Image
Scwing!
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

User avatar
RootTwo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:10 pm UTC
Location: The 22nd Century
Contact:

Postby RootTwo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:30 pm UTC

I don't get the joke. "Totally pwn" is a perfectly Rofl way of using the word, isn't it?

User avatar
thomasjmaccoll
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:27 pm UTC
Location: cupar, fife, scotland
Contact:

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:46 am UTC

Jesster wrote:Bodacious needs to make a return to the language.


:D

also i totally agree with xkcd on the flapper slang.
slow down, you move too fast

wanderer
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:03 am UTC
Location: Mobile, Alabama

Postby wanderer » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

I teach high school and have the opportunity to put this comic into regular practice.

The darlings squirm or giggle.

They go into shock on the first day of class, when I introduce my class by saying "Yo G! Wat up?! I be here to pimp that wack English grammar and vocabulary thang, fo' shizzle!"

Keep in mind that I am a white male, 33, somewhat dumpy, sporting glasses, goatee, and a very short haircut.

I get a mixture of uncomfortable giggles and shocked looks every time.

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

Somebody should go through all the old comic threads and put them up to modern standards so I can find comics more easily.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Belial » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:28 pm UTC

You volunteering?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

Basics
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:59 pm UTC

Postby Basics » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

I haven't really heard "pwn" used without an indirect object (am I using that term right?)

No, you're thinking of transitive verbs and intransitive verbs. Transitive verbs have a subject and a direct object (I eat pie, she likes mice, etc.), and intransitive verbs have no direct object (People die, shit happens, etc.) Indirect verbs are those which express, uh... something.... Apparently I wasn't paying much attention to my linguistics professor during that one. I know that like... "envy", "want", "believe", etc. are indirect... they convey... emotion? Something. :P

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Belial » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

As far as I know, there's no such thing as an indirect verb. Indirect objects are weird and hard to explain but easy to recognize, so I'll just give an example:

"I gave her the letter."

In that sentence, "I" is the subject, "Gave" is the verb, "Letter" is the direct object, and "her" is the indirect object.

"I told Wally a secret"

is the same way. "Secret" is the direct object, "Wally" is the indirect.

Grammar Raptor, away!
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Jach
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 8:38 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby Jach » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:02 pm UTC

Basically if you can stick a "to" or "for" in front of the word in question, it's an indirect object. ("I gave to him the bomb.") I like objects, but French makes them a helluva lot easier to work with. (Until you run into telephoner, anyway, which makes just enough sense to be usable.)

I teach high school and have the opportunity to put this comic into regular practice.

The darlings squirm or giggle.

They go into shock on the first day of class, when I introduce my class by saying "Yo G! Wat up?! I be here to pimp that wack English grammar and vocabulary thang, fo' shizzle!"

Keep in mind that I am a white male, 33, somewhat dumpy, sporting glasses, goatee, and a very short haircut.

I get a mixture of uncomfortable giggles and shocked looks every time.

I wish my English teachers did stuff like that...
I love reading quotes.


Basics
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:59 pm UTC

Postby Basics » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

Oh, yeah, lol. Shit sorry I had a brain fart. I know what indirect/direct objects are, I was just trying to figure out what indirect verbs were. I've since looked it up, and they're any verb used to convey emotion or prolonged state.

Sorry I was kind of (read: completely) blit when I made that last post. The information is accurate, but it's not exactly the piece de resistance of my writings. :P

@ xkcd:
Basically, when you deal with transitive and intransitive verbs, all transitive verbs can also be intransitive, the vice versa is not true. However, some verbs are just not seen used as intransitive that often, and sound really awkward. Especially when you're dealing with like... slang.

"Die" is an intransitive verb.
Susan dies, but Susan can not die Carol.

"Slap" is a transitive verb.
Susan slaps Carol.
Susan slaps.
Both are correct

But then, "tap", as in "I tapped your mom last night, and it was so-so." Is transitive, but "Susan taps." Is like wtf?

User avatar
Melkarion
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:39 am UTC

Postby Melkarion » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:11 am UTC

It seems to me that the last example, tapping, differs significantly from the first two. "Tapping your mother" is only odd because of the connotation... without an mischeivous interpretation, it would simply mean that I thumped her lightly with my finger, perhaps producing a sharp sound.

As I understand it, the real distinction is that intransitive verbs simply don't have objects, in fact that they can't have objects. Other verbs may require them, or may be used without them (tap, slap, etc.) depending on the nature of the action or the specific usage. But even when it's not used, the object is often implied. "Susan taps" implies that she taps something... we simply rely on context to provide the information in most such cases.
"... for a man to understand what he himself says is one thing, and to understand himself in what is said is something else." -Soren K.

An ironic motto of sorts:
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit. -W. Somerset Maugham.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mscha and 103 guests