0236: "Collecting Double-Takes"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

zdude255

Re: "Collecting Double-Takes" Discussion

Postby zdude255 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:02 am UTC

Just got another one:

Red Kool-Aid and rat poison.

Numquam

Postby Numquam » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:46 pm UTC

This must be the best thread I have EVER read.
admiror, o internet, te non cecidisse (ruinis)
qui tot scriptorum taedia sustineas

arabara

Postby arabara » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:10 am UTC

As a cashier I rarely pay attention to combinations and only a few things have startled me, one involved 60 plus pounds of canned tomatoes and the others were similar to that, large amounts of normal stuff. Nothing fazes me anymore and after reading this thread I assume that people are just trying to mess with me.

Manial

Postby Manial » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:36 pm UTC

Most disturbing combination I can think of:

Duct Tape and Children's underwear.

Actually if you look shady enough, just buying the underwear might get you strange looks.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:37 am UTC

Birthday card and razor blades.

EDIT: I thought of another one: Sleeping pills, handcuffs, and a child-sized rabbit suit.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

That_one_guy
Location: Denton, Texas, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe #24

Re:

Postby That_one_guy » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:49 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:Some combinations likely to get you some double-takes or strange, horrified looks:

KY Jelly
No-Doz
Pack of Trojans

cheese grater
table salt
duct tape

bag of ice
hacksaw
saran wrap

10-ft. ladder
ceiling hook capable of supporting up to 300 lbs.
1"-thick hemp rope
(bonus points if you mutter "it'll all be over soon")

sleeping pills
kool-aid mix
bottled water

For the Suicide one, I might actually get this stuff, go home, and hang the ladder from the ceiling. imagine a swinging ladder. I'm adding that to my list. Oh, and BTW, F1R$T P0$7!

List of things to get in apartment:
Ball Pit (Of Course.)
Room hanging from ceiling.
Teddy Bear/Speaker.
Swinging Ladder.
Стюарт's My name, Перевод вещей, используя Google's my game.

GENERATION 41i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:55 am UTC

I'll ignore the fact that way too many people are obsessed with sex and violence (not that there's anything wrong with that) and offer one sad lame combo.

Single can of cat food.
Loaf of bread.

I was broke, I needed to feed my friend Catherine and I was out of bread, duh. The slightly pitying looks were just a bonus.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

Gamernotnerd

0236: "Collecting Double-Takes"

Postby Gamernotnerd » Thu May 29, 2008 1:31 am UTC

I can't seem to find it in search so...

Alt Text: Fun game: find a combination of two items that most freaks out the cashier. Winner: pregnancy test and single coat hanger.
http://xkcd.com/236/
"Cuttlefish: Go."

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: Collecting Double-Takes Discussion

Postby phlip » Thu May 29, 2008 2:07 am UTC

(1) Your search skills fail.
(2) Why create a thread for the comic, if you have nothing to say about it?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Gamernotnerd

Postby Gamernotnerd » Thu May 29, 2008 2:23 am UTC

My search skills do fail... And I like other people's opinions.
"Cuttlefish: Go."

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu May 29, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

At this point, OP has the link, so this can be deleted.

IceMod

Postby IceMod » Fri May 30, 2008 10:48 am UTC

Get out of my head Randall! I do this all the time!

I usually settle on the good ol' zucchini.
Protector of the Antients

VoxDraconae

Postby VoxDraconae » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:52 am UTC

i'll go introduce myself here in a sec, but this thread is the main reason i joined (well, was... then i started reading...)

i was overnighting at walgreen's a few years ago when a guy bought nyquil and chocolate ice cream. i still haven't had the courage to try it.

the following night, a different gentleman bought Preperation H and a toothbrush.

i swear on my nerd card, it happened.

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:37 am UTC

Not disturbing along the same lines, but my favorite thing about certain times of the month is getting to go to the drugstore for a big bag of chocolates, a bottle of ibuprofen, and a package of pads. Then, if I get a male cashier, I hit him with a quick glare that's not really mean, but it usually succeeds at communicating, "I dare you to ask how my day is going."

My other favorite thing is getting my guy friends to drive me to the drugstore for that, especially when I don't warn them what I'm going for. Hee.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

VoxDraconae wrote:i was overnighting at walgreen's a few years ago when a guy bought nyquil and chocolate ice cream. i still haven't had the courage to try it.

Come on; Nyquil isn't that bad. Robitussin is much worse.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:09 am UTC

I don't know if this is funny or not, but today me and my girlfriend bought 30 pounds of cat litter, and yogurt.

Correction: 75 pounds and a single can of yogurt. At 1 A.M. There's no implication, it's just weird.
Last edited by Gears on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

bebemangeur

Postby bebemangeur » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:09 am UTC

I have one I might try: Hand lotion, Kleenex, and a hand gun enthusiast's magazine

Turiya

Postby Turiya » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Several years ago, three or four teenaged boys and a woman who looked to be in her early twenties came into the store where I worked. They all congregated at the H&B aisle for a few minutes before the boys left, giggling, and the woman came up to the counter with only two items--a box of tampons and a box of condoms.
"Beyond the senses, beyond the understanding, beyond all expression, is The Fourth." --Mandukya Upanishad

snafubar

Postby snafubar » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:45 am UTC

One quarter in college my then boyfriend and I were both taking speech class (although different sessions at different times). One of the standard speech assignments was to dramatically present a poem or reading with acting, visual aids, or whatever. He picked The Mummy by Shel Silverstein (silly poem about a kid becoming a mummy by wrapping himself in toilet paper). So the night before his presentation he and I ended up going out to the grocery store at 11:00 or so at night and buying nothing but a 4 pack of toilet paper...

The perhaps even more amusing postscript is while he was in the bathroom before class wrapping himself up for his speech the college president and another high admin type walked in...
We are god's unwanted children, so be it!

logoseph

Postby logoseph » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

My drama teacher, let's call him Mr. V, told us this story:

So, he's working on a stage musical production of Grease about ten years ago as stage manager, and has two major problems at dress rehearsal: the microphone transmitters in the small of the the singers' backs keep getting sweat on them and fritzing out, and the actors need something that looks like greasy hair gel, but can be removed quickly. Fortunately for Mr. V, the director has had these problems before, and knows exactly what works for each. For the microphones, a condom (as long as it's unlubed) with the tip snipped off works to waterproof the transmitter while still easily running a wire, and for the hair gel, well, as has been mentioned earlier, KY is water-based, so it rinses out fast. Thus, Mr. V. had to run to the store wearing a shirt about the musical he's a part of (he was wearing it in the spirit of dress-rehearsal week), and buy a massive bulk pack of unlubricated, reservoir tip condoms and an economy size vat of KY lubricant. What made it worse was that since he was in a hurry, he asked a cashier when he came in if they had unlubricated condoms, then ran to get them, returning with the two giant packs and apologizing for being in such a hurry.

I don't know what they thought.
Logos: the appeal to logic and reason in traditional Aristotelian argumentation
(Although on this forum everyone probably already knew that)

SpringLoaded12

Re:

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:It's called "Collecting Double-Takes" and IS THIS ENTIRE FORUM COMPLETELY FUCKING INCAPABLE OF READING? HUH!? I FIND THIS EXTREMELY HARD TO BELIEVE, CONSIDERING THIS IS A TEXT BASED MEDIUM, AND THEREFORE THE ONLY POSSIBLE EXPLANATION IS THAT YOU ARE ALL LEGALLY BLIND AND USE SOME SORT OF TEXT TO SPEECH PROGRAM TO READ OFF WEB PAGES - A TEXT TO SPEECH PROGRAM WHICH HAS BEEN HACKED BY SOMEONE WHO HATES ME IN ORDER TO ENSURE IT IGNORES NOT ONLY THE "RULES" THREAD, BUT ALSO THE "SERIOUSLY READ THE FUCKING RULES THREAD YOU FUCKING MORONS" AS YOU ALL SEEM DETERMINED TO NEVER INCLUDE A LINK WITH YOUR POSTS DESPITE MY BEST EFFORTS.

It's not that hard... There's even a conveniently placed link right below every single comic. Like, right there. All you have to do is copy and paste. Not hard, not difficult - I genuinely believe a trained monkey could pull it off.

Not xkcders though. Nooo. That would be far to hard.

OH WAIT, IT'S NOT HARD AT ALL YOU'RE ALL JUST IDIOTS DETERMINED TO INVOKE MY WRATH.

That aside, as the first person to not include a link after my recent announcement, I will quite honestly have to have something horrible done to you. I'll take some time to mull over what it'll be.

Oh, get over it you Caps Lock-abusing piss ass.

There's really no need for a link at all.

1. The comic, and its alt-text, are right there in the post. So you don't need to go back to the page to check it out.
2. If you've come to comment about the comic, you've probably already read it.
3. It's really not that hard to type in xkcd.com/[comic number]. A link would save you, at most, 12 keystrokes.

You don't have to insult us just because a forum post doesn't quite meet your fascist standards.

Also, I disagree entirely with your sig. Many great ideas have not yet been done. If every great idea had been done, we would be living in a mortal heaven. Are we? Clearly not.

Oh dear, I've started a flamewar, haven't I?

As soon as I come up with a good combination, I'll let you know. I want mine to be unexpected, but that's very difficult.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Xentropy

Re: Re:

Postby Xentropy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:24 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:Oh dear, I've started a flamewar, haven't I?

You're responding to a post from March 2007.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:12 am UTC

logoseph wrote:My drama teacher, let's call him Mr. V, told us this story:
[snip]

Hahaha!

That's fantastic. Even the most jaded cashier would have to be a bit stunned by that one.
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Korbl

Re: soup

Postby Korbl » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:15 am UTC

Quake wrote:Buying a six inch nail and a bouillon cube at spring equinox.
If in Scandinavia. In other places, exchange the nail with a stone :?

Keep on observing 8)

wuh?

subpeona wrote:My best is a box of 12 condoms, a pack of 6 ping-pong balls, and 4 Glo-sticks.

I went in to get condoms, because I had run out, and pong balls, for beer-pong that night, and then randomly spotted Glo-sticks for $0.50 each.

hey, glow sticks aren't a bad addition to that mix. I can get quite a withering glance from my ex just by innocuously commenting on the shape of a specific brand of glow stick.

Oh, best place to buy glow sticks I've found, Dollar Store.

Corvin wrote:eh, the radio station i work at runs contests like that all the time: "what's the oddest collection of items you can purchase for sexual pleasure AND a double-take from the cashier?"

usually the winner gets a gift certificate to a fetish store.

What radio station do you work for and where the hell is it?

Ajtucker22

Postby Ajtucker22 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:13 am UTC

Three stories from me today, 2 of which have happened, one I may do someday.

My friend had to go buy condoms with his girlfriend, because it was her turn to buy. Apparently the only place open was the store our other friend worked at. They gave him a hard time....

Me and my good female friend had just got back from a play, but we were kinda hungry and.... well, bored. We also had to pick up stuff for her little brothers "party" that saturday(we owed him for breaking his Wii)This is at 1:58, 2 minutes before the store closes and we bought
5 gallons of ice cream
I think 8 cans of whipped cream?
15 of those hardening chocolate stuff
2 watermelons
2 4packs of Monster
2 bags of hot cheetos
alot of plastic spoons
pepperoni stick (for pizza)
Pizza sause (for pizza)
Cheese. Alot of cheese (for pizza)
a bunch of kids pop guns and water guns
and a small inflatable pool.

Truth be told, we really bought all of that food due to hunger. You know, you have money and you're just going through the aisles saying "ooooh, that, thats what I want now!" We were going to see how long we could stay up, but we both passed out and ended up with alot of melted ice cream, and alot of cleaning to do. The pizza stuff was for her brother and his friends. They enjoyed it. Hes still mad I broke his Wii.....

Ok, and as for what I want to do someday.
A yo-yo, a metronome, a beanbag chair, and alot of construction tools.

The Tagger
Location: The obscure t-shirt producing planet known as Earth

Postby The Tagger » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:35 pm UTC

I'm too lazy to read the entire length of this discussion, so I hope no one suggested this before me. I say, get the KY jelly and a cucumber. But when you get home, open the box the KY came in, squeeze a little bit out of the tube, then put the tube back in the box, making no attempt to hide the fact the box has been opened.

Next day, try to return the two items to the store.

!!!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

staticsan

Postby staticsan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:30 am UTC

I see someone's mentioned underwear... You'd think checkout operators in a supermarket would wonder why gender XY is buying gender XX underwear. You'd never know to watch them... :-/

Nintendo01

Postby Nintendo01 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:16 am UTC

I work at a grocery store and the weirdest combo I've seen is a guy buying tube of Preparation H and a dozen roses on Valentines Day. Strange that that's the weirdest thing I've seen after three and a half years at the same store. Either that or I just never noticed the strange combos until reading this comic last month when I went through all of the old xkcd's.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:34 am UTC

staticsan wrote:I see someone's mentioned underwear... You'd think checkout operators in a supermarket would wonder why gender XY is buying gender XX underwear. You'd never know to watch them... :-/

But people buying sexy underthings for a partner, or parents buying basic underpants for their kids, would be pretty common.
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Anubis

Postby Anubis » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:59 am UTC

The largest tub of crisco you can find, a Ken doll, and a single pair of children's underwear.

Nulono

Postby Nulono » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

Gordon wrote:Alt: Fun game: find a combination of two items that most freaks out the cashier. Winner: pregnancy test and single coat hanger.

Am I the only one who realizes how terribly ineffective a coat hanger would be as early on in pregnancy as a test would be needed?

Cynical Idealist

Re:

Postby Cynical Idealist » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:23 am UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:
fjafjan wrote:or Camoflaged clothes, Night vision goggles, sedatives and lots of condoms.

Where do you shop!?

Costco, probably. The other day I bought empanadas, steaks, shrimp, veggies, and a new wireless router there.

(Yeah, I know I'm late, but this was on the first page anyway)
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

EugeneSlipped

Postby EugeneSlipped » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 am UTC

Not my story at all, but it's one I read a while back and I still love it. I'll briefly summarise it.

A guy was out late at night and remembered he had to buy a present for his nephew's birthday the next day, so he went to a store and got some toy - can't remember what, but doesn't matter.
While walking to the checkout he saw condoms on display, and remembered the last packet he bought was nearing the expiry date (heh), so grabbed a packet.
Then as you always do, he notices the discounted lollies at the checkout, and he grabs one of them. Toy, lollies, condoms. The cashier looks at him funny, and he realises he's wearing a trench-coat and hat, no wonder she's looking at him funny. Then he goes to the cashier "Hey, I'm new in town, do you know where I might be able to buy a white panel van?"

Of course, it's a terrible retelling of the story, but it's so perfect :D

garak1a

Postby garak1a » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

-A bible
-A set of steak knives
-Stencils

Bonus points for having red dye on your hands, or muttering about having sinned.

Another possible one, while entirely and obviously sexual, could be funny:

-Box of flavored condoms
-Box of unflavored condoms
-Vanilla extract

and if the unflavored + vanilla extract is cheaper, have them void the flavored one (or vice versa).

Lurking Grue

Postby Lurking Grue » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:22 am UTC

Here's a combo that will freak the cashier out very well, although only at Wal-Mart or a similar superstore:

• Vegetable oil
  • Nitric acid
  • Lye
  • Disposable camera
  • 14 AWG copper wire
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Tiem

Postby Tiem » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

Hate to bump an older topic, but I think a sexy halloween costume, handcuffs, lingerie, gift wrap, and a Happy Mother's day card might work.

Or, alternatively, walk in wearing a dark robe that covers your face with a few others wearing the same thing, purple kool aid, and rat poison.
To do list:

-kidnap Randall
-take his hands
-hire Eames from Inception
-make nachos

smartcookie:)

Re:

Postby smartcookie:) » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

pavon wrote:My best accidental purchase. I was up late working on an art project, and was almost done except for one more part that needed some rubber bands. I figured I'd go to sleep and finish up later, so I could get up in time for work and wouldn't be to tired to go to a party the next night. But an hour and a half latter I still wasn't able to fall asleep, so decided to just run to the 24-hour Walgreens and get what I needed. On the way to the cashier I saw trash bags and realize were were out of ones for the bathroom trashcan, so I grabbed em and headed up to the counter with some small trash bags, heavy duty rubber bands, sleeping pills and a bottle of vodka. Didn't even realize it until I saw the look on the cashiers face.

My favourite, I totally plan to do this. :D

@dmin

Postby @dmin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:18 am UTC

dead thread revival!
but this warrant's this.

I just went to Meijer's (like a walmart) @2am and picked up a few things. At first the cashier was apprehensive and stared at me a bit but, I didn't think anything of it. I just bought

altoids
Orange jello
OTC sleeping pills
Nylon Rope
a cucumber
50 gallon trash bags
12 pack of condoms
10w-30 Mobile 1 oil
Italian dressing
Tampax pearls... (sigh)
Crystal Light cherry Pomegranate

I originally went there for the cucumber, dressing, and tampons that I need to makes pasta salad in the morning and the tampons were on the List. The rest were convenience items that I needed.... I didn't put them together until I got back and my GF was unpacking and said "WTF do you plan on doing to me?!?!"

I have always wanted to go and buy some ambiguous items but, now I wonder what I actually have bought in the past that looked odd...

I always wanted to buy a pregnancy test and a single metal coat hanger though.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:28 pm UTC

I recently came back from the beach with tar all over my feet, and called in through the front door for one of my housemates to bring me a chair, some vegetable oil, and the rattiest sponge we had (so I could sit out front and scrub the tar off my feet without tracking it into the house). She complied so easily without question to my odd-sounding list of requests that I tacked on, in exactly the same tone as before, "also while you're in the kitchen can you get me a cucumber, some extra-large condoms and a bottle of ketchup?"

Her response, completely unfazed by anything, was simply "What's the ketchup for?" Like the rest of it somehow made perfect sense together in her mind. Made me do a double-take of my own.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

doggitydogs

Re: 0236: "Collecting Double-Takes"

Postby doggitydogs » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:51 am UTC

Box of Jell-O
Box of veterinary syringes
One pistachio

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”