0515: "No One Must Know"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Wasted

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Wasted » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:47 am UTC

sje46 wrote:I'm sorry Randall. Murder=funny now?
I have to wonder why we don't treat murder the same way we treat rape: as a completely horrible thing that is not a thing to be joked about.

Someone needs to brush up on their George Carlin

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3av_qRR_DWc

Alder

Postby Alder » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:04 am UTC

*Chucklechucklesnort*

I hope that wasn't his pal from pre-journal girl days. http://xkcd.com/374/
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

thret

Postby thret » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:25 am UTC

To once again echo the get-out-of-my-head-Randall refrain, my University was giving away old books for free and I just finished reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Bel ... _Detection, about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moors_murders.

Random murders ftl. Worse than Alpha Dogs.

I don't like this comic :(

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:42 pm UTC

teucer wrote:as soon as he said "danish" I thought about how silly he was being. After all, everyone knows you are supposed to eat danish for dessert.

It is totally possible, that BHG 'eats' BHG for 'dessert', if you know what I mean.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Thibaw

Postby Thibaw » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:55 pm UTC

BHG and girl had no choice, really. Well, if BHG had invented a device that allows to warp someone into another dimension.... But awww, no. I think Murder was the only possible solution in this situation.

And my opinion is:

It is acceptable to make jokes about mutilation, murder, rape, genocide and US foreign policy.

(But to make jokes about actual victims of the above is not acceptable of course.)

boxbrown

Postby boxbrown » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

My girlfriend and I noticed that last week 85% of our conversations were held in babytalk.

Koboldskind

Postby Koboldskind » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

Thibaw wrote:
It is acceptable to make jokes about mutilation, murder, rape, genocide , in short: US foreign policy.

I took the liberty of fixing that for you ;-)

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

I'm disappointed in the classhole couple. Just a simple burial?

They really need to chop the body up and dispose of the pieces in such a way as they are unlikely to be found. The ideal disposal sites are non-tidal waters, or the foundations of tall buildings. Remember the 6 Ps - Proper Planning Prevents P!ss Poor Performance. Plastic bags are no good - they don't biodegrade, and they will trap air as the pieces decay, so if they're going with the burial at sea method then they will float to the surface and be discovered. However, the recent trend to more environmentally sound packaging is on their side. They need to get some cotton shopping bags, wrap the dismembered pieces in absorbent cloth and newspaper (to prevent leaking), and place them pieces in the bag with a ratio of ballast in the order of 1:3 (three times as much ballast as the piece weighs). Then drop these over the side of their chosen watercraft (I favour a cross channel ferry or cruise ship - the water should be deep enough to prevent discovery by divers). By using biodegradable packing materials, air released by the decaying pieces will be able to escape, and eventually the packaging will decay also.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

axilog14

Postby axilog14 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:08 pm UTC

Oh me yarm :lol:

First-degree murder (feel free to correct me on this) aside, I thought this strip was perfect.
"Yes, my life is pathetic. But I still prefer it to the alternative!"

Sonja

Postby Sonja » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

*snicker* That poor, unlucky man.
I don't think he had any clue to what he was witnessing until it was too late.

Tjencks

Postby Tjencks » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

For some reason this strip reminded me of Camus' The Stranger...

Good book

I wonder if the killed stick figure was an Arab?

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:26 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:D'awwwww!

Do stick figures get a lot bigger post mortum? (maybe it's like wearing a dress) Or maybe there happened to be some other things that needed burrying.

Mayhap there was others gone and saw the two verbally loving.

My theory: Someone saw them kill the first guy and came to the conclusion (since they've never directly killed anyone before) that they must have been covering up a display of affection, and so they also had to be killed.

Dis iz turnink into vun of dose plans...hyu know, de kind vere ve keel everybody dot notices dot ve's keelin' people?
It is?
Uh huh. And how do dose alvays end?
De dirigible iz in flames, everyboddyz dead an' I've lost my hat.
Dot's right. Und any plan vere you lose you hat iz?
A bad plan?
Right again!

Susy

Postby Susy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:28 pm UTC

You know, it may be wrong...but I loved this comic...I kinda have a crush with Black Hat...he is so...sociopath.

And they just love so much each other...I liked the way she looks back at him like thinking: "My sweet love, should I go for a knife while you go get a bag??" [hearts poping out]

That´s true love!!!! :D

Evilagram

Postby Evilagram » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

Seems more like character development than a real strip.

I think xkcd might be losing its funny, but it may just be a lull between the truly excellent strips. Can't expect something reality shattering every day.

ethraax

Postby ethraax » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

So what if that guy was deaf?
Meowgan wrote:It's just like knitting, but with less knitting.

aliosha

Postby aliosha » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

The first time I read this, I think I was thinking oddly;

- BHG2 are all loved up
- BHG+ decides to make a romantic gesture
- BHG+ kills a load of babies
- BHG- is delighted

(I didn't see the third guy standing there)

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

almightyze wrote:
Spoiler:
sje46, calm down. And I suggest you get some sleep.

Your philosophical grievances have already become off-topic, and driving precariously close to buzzkill/trolling/flaming, if it hasn't already. Your arguments do present some merit, and go deeper into American societal psychology (in particular, its love of violence/fear of sexuality), but I think it is best that you bring this up in an area where the debate is appropriate, i.e. the Serious Business forum. By continuing this here, you are bringing down the thread. Furthermore, it is around 5 in the morning as I write this where you are, New Hampshirite. It won't be harmful to rest, especially since you still have that disturbing story fresh on your mind.

Okay? Okay. :)

(my own two cents on the comic: Hard for me to say right now. Maybe I need some sleep too. Doing that NOW
)

Not off-topic (which is allowed in this section anyway), if it is a buzzkill, that is cool because this forum is allowed to criticize the strips, not really flaming either (notice how I pretty much ended the topic the last post). Your concessions to me show that this is a legit criticism of not only this comic but also society in general. Not that I'm really passionate (I'm really not), I was just wanting to have a debate which most defintely realtes to the comic. Are we not allowed to have a serious discussion on these boards?
I'm sorry for bringing down the thread. I'm not sure if bringing down a thread is really a good reason to stop having a discussion. But pretty much I had ended the topic.
I was well rested when I wrote that, and I am well rested now. And the story was read two days ago, not yesterday.

I was calm and am calm now. I just don't want to be perceive as someone whos particularly passionate about this, something you would have realized if you read my last comment.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

aliosha

Postby aliosha » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

@sje46:

You had a good point. I think you were arguing with nobody.

It is interesting how leniently murder is treated compared to rape. Then again, I think that the reasons that were suggested for it were, perhaps, worth listening to.

Cartofel

Postby Cartofel » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

von Eisenstein wrote:"Frankly, my dear...I don't give a damn." <----First thing that popped into my head. No reason why.

"Good morning, the Worm, your honour; the Crown will plainly see the Prisoner who now stands before you, was caught red-handed showing FEELINGS - showing feelings of an almost HUMAN nature; this will not do!"

Kudos to anyone who recognises it!

jan.ruzicka

Postby jan.ruzicka » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

gulnare wrote:"I love you Mickey"

"I love you Mallory"

That was my first reaction: "Natural Born Killers" again.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

Cartofel wrote:"Good morning, the Worm, your honour; the Crown will plainly see the Prisoner who now stands before you, was caught red-handed showing FEELINGS - showing feelings of an almost HUMAN nature; this will not do!"

Easy peasy,
Spoiler:
from the Trial in Pink Floyd's The Wall
Spoilered for - er - spoiler.
But then I am an old fart who was born before it came out, unlike most xkcdians.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

l'enfant terrible

Postby l'enfant terrible » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

faunablues wrote:this one actually had me laughing out loud.

I understand "cute pie", but "danish"?! does the beret guy call his sweetheart a scone?

(re: the murder being funny/meat=murder thing - i'm vegan and i find the stick-figure death funny. is that wrong?)

i think scone would be derogatory, since its drier and not as sweet. ;)

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:
Cartofel wrote:"Good morning, the Worm, your honour; the Crown will plainly see the Prisoner who now stands before you, was caught red-handed showing FEELINGS - showing feelings of an almost HUMAN nature; this will not do!"

Easy peasy,
Spoiler:
from the Trial in Pink Floyd's The Wall
Spoilered for - er - spoiler.
But then I am an old fart who was born before it came out, unlike most xkcdians.

Oh F%$# why did I click on the spoiler before I read the quote I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN IT. Not a huge fan of it, but this part
of an almost HUMAN nature
would have made me remember.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

Susy

Postby Susy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Evilagram wrote:Seems more like character development than a real strip.

I think xkcd might be losing its funny, but it may just be a lull between the truly excellent strips. Can't expect something reality shattering every day.

Losing its funny??? You´ve got to be kidding!!! It´s damn hilarious!!!
It´s about: SARCASM, LOVE, MATH and LANGUAGE...remember????

Nasaniaru

Postby Nasaniaru » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

I thought this comic was funny. BHG and BHG' (Prime) are now totally in love with eachother as opposed to trying to pull a Mr. and Mrs. Smith thing every single second of the day. But they still want to maintain the illusion that both of them hate everyone but themselves so when someone found out, they "silenced" them. I like it.

But yeah, unfortunately death is something that isn't really taken as seriously as rape is. To give an example:

"Oh my god! They killed Kenny!"
"Those Bastards!"
A tree planted near the water bears fruit, but only when the time is right. Its leaves won't ever wither and it brings prosperity to all.

Move forward and continue to move forward. Do not come to a standstill. This is my Priority One!

ethraax

Postby ethraax » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

Nasaniaru wrote:But yeah, unfortunately death is something that isn't really taken as seriously as rape is. To give an example:

"Those Bastards!"

I'm pretty sure Rape isn't a big deal in South Park as well. But still, think about it this way. Although you could say that murder has more dire consequences for the victim (like, you know, death) than rape, you can commit murder with the pull of a trigger. Rape requires just a bit more effort.

I still maintain that the alt text should have read "By the way, he was deaf."

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:17 pm UTC

ethraax wrote:
Nasaniaru wrote:But yeah, unfortunately death is something that isn't really taken as seriously as rape is. To give an example:

"Those Bastards!"

I'm pretty sure Rape isn't a big deal in South Park as well. But still, think about it this way. Although you could say that murder has more dire consequences for the victim (like, you know, death) than rape, you can commit murder with the pull of a trigger. Rape requires just a bit more effort.

I still maintain that the alt text should have read "By the way, he was deaf."

But rape also results an orgasm, which, from a utilitarian viewpoint, is more moral than murder.
I asked my friend this question yesterday, and she said the same thing about the effort. I don't understand what the amount of effort has to do with the morality of it, or why people would view it as more immoral.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

You can kill someone in a moments rage.
You can't rape somebody in a moments rage.
Rape involves more thought.
Ⓞⓞ◯

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:You can kill someone in a moments rage.

So morality is based off of whether it is meditated or not?

ethraax

Postby ethraax » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:

I think it is, partially. It's easier to lose control for the mere second it takes to kill someone with a weapon than to lose control for all the time it takes to rape someone.

Also, I was talking about how seriously it was taken in our society, not about the morality. Although I guess they're linked. Also, how did rape get into this?

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

ethraax wrote:
sje46 wrote:

I think it is, partially. It's easier to lose control for the mere second it takes to kill someone with a weapon than to lose control for all the time it takes to rape someone.

Also, I was talking about how seriously it was taken in our society, not about the morality. Although I guess they're linked. Also, how did rape get into this?

Oh, orry. You right. It is about how society views it.
I brought rape into this. I wonder why murder is more acceptable to society than rape.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

Benson wrote:Well, if one takes legal (rather than moral) definitions for rape and murder, there are a lot more circumstances in which murder could be morally justified (even compelled) than rape. Essentially, while a murder can be from rage or hate, it can be undertaken to prevent other deaths, while rape is almost exclusively for personal pleasure. (OTOH, if one seeks rape which might be considered morally acceptable, there's always statutory rape...)

I think this is it. For example, it's not hard at all to find a way to justify murder, but look at how ridiculously contorted the author of Dominic Deegan had to make the infamous "orc rape" storyline to make the rape justifiable. And it still barely worked.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote: I'm kind of disappointed though, that these characters that are typically so creative with their misanthropy had to resort to something as pedestrian as murder.

cephalopod9 wrote:Do stick figures get a lot bigger post mortum? (maybe it's like wearing a dress) Or maybe there happened to be some other things that needed burrying.
I like to think that they came up with some kind of murder by inflation. Possibly involving expanding foam.

A truly excellent comic, it really made me feel to see that even BFG and Traingirl can achieve happiness. Misanthropy is not a barrier! Except, of course, you have to kill anyone who overhears something that would destroy your misanthropic reputation.

With the ongoing debate, in my worldview rape is less bad than murder (victim is still alive afterwards, has chance to live out their life). I do think it's strange that depiction of murder is much more acceptable than depiction of rape, but not nearly so strange as the depiction of consensual sex apparently being considered less acceptable than depictions of murder.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Oh, orry. You right. It is about how society views it.
I brought rape into this. I wonder why murder is more acceptable to society than rape.

Well, rape is more common. If you're telling a joke about rape, it's a lot more likely that someone reading it will have been raped (or known someone who was) than that someone will have had someone close murdered (and obviously nobody reading will have been murdered.) This is even more the case if you include women who have dealt with attempted rape, or been in situations where they were very conscious of the possibility of being raped. I can't easily think of a case where I was seriously worried about being murdered, but I know that plenty of women have been in plenty of circumstances where the possibility of being raped was known to them.

I think it also ties into the issues of the stigma often attached to rape-survivors and awkwardness people often feel around them.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

chronyx

Postby chronyx » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

I hope sje46 never reads the BOFH...

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

chronyx wrote:I hope sje46 never reads the BOFH...

Why not?

I had to look it up. A bunch of short stories. I don't get it.

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

Three words: Special Victims Unit.

I was laughing at this comic...until I saw that video. Just...holy fuck.

(He's admitted to vaporizing people, though, so why is this a surprise?)

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

10nitro wrote:
sje46 wrote:I should clarify. I found it funny. But why? Why do we as a society find murder to be a thing to joke about but something not as bad (I don't think that rape is as bad as murder, although it is pretty bad . .. what do I know, I haven't been raped) is not joked about?
Sorry. I read this last night:
http://pysih.com/2008/12/07/the-dnepropetrovsk-maniacs/

Dude, that story is fucked, I had do stop reading the translation of the video.

agreed, i barely made it through the translation and no way i could watch the video. i kind of wish you hadn't posted that.

i found how BHG and his significant other reacted to someone walking in on them amusing... i don't really think Oh me yarm they murdered someone. but i find it hard to be sympathetic to fictional stick figures.

it kind of reminds me of this commercial with geckos. funny, but why because its sad?
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

alchemistique

Postby alchemistique » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:
alchemistique wrote:Personally, I think everyone is taking the whole "omgmurder" thing a bit too far. Regrettably, murder and death and other such violence is part of American pop culture, like it or not, and xkcd is no different in that sense. If you don't like it, no one is forcing it upon you. I personally see nothing wrong with this comic, and I find it hilarious. If that's wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Sorry to get preachy, I just found the whole thing a bit ridiculous. Carry on, then...

Hello.
By everyone, you mean only sje46. What I am asking is why it is pop culture, if you paid attention. I am not squeemish at all. I also find this comic funny. I just realized how not-shocked by murder people (including me) are. I am basically just having an emotionally-detached philosophical discussion. I am not on any sort of soap box and I don't understand why you are on one. CAn you explain what about the conversation is ridiculous? thanks.

You do need to calm down. The ridiculous part?

This. is a webcomic.

About stick figures.

It's not exactly good material for a moral, philosophical discussion. Just saying.

Arc

Postby Arc » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

Random murder would be ftl.

But this is the random murder of a stick figure because he overheard an inane conversation, and it is ftw.

Koboldskind wrote:
Thibaw wrote:It is acceptable to make jokes about mutilation, murder, rape, genocide , in short: US foreign policy.
I took the liberty of fixing that for you ;-)

You win the thread. That is all.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”