0525: "I Know You're Listening"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Re: "I Know You're Listening" Discussion

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:24 am UTC

I like to just turn around at random sometimes and exclaim "aha!", to make the person sneaking up behind me wonder how the hell I knew they were there. If there isn't someone there, oh well.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

syko_lozz

Postby syko_lozz » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:26 am UTC

I know you're reading this.... yes you...
Debate politics with a fern. If you lose, refuse to water it.

StickFight

Postby StickFight » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:27 am UTC

I barely believed it when I read it, but I do this too for the exact same reasons. I guess it's a slightly more common thing to do than I thought. This comic just... amazed me.

ashadocat

Postby ashadocat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:41 am UTC

I used to do this when I was about 7. I had forgotten...
I'm only doing this for my post count.

berto17

Postby berto17 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:53 am UTC

When I was younger, I would sometimes pretend like my life was a documentary and that the main audience was just random people from school...that's about the closest I've gotten to this.
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHE _AD
_RAD IO HEA D

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:10 am UTC

Before I got to the bottom, I thought he was talking to (potential) time observers.

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:18 am UTC

I actually do this sometimes....

I'm not crazy! You're all the crazy ones!

>.>

<.<

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

Wehpudicabok

Postby Wehpudicabok » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:29 am UTC

I am officially freaked out. Is there anything weird I do that Randall doesn't?

moxmallow

Postby moxmallow » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:36 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
Freiberg wrote:
mmx49 wrote:Cuttlefish.

It is too late for you, my friend. My ink jets are ready and holding at 200 dpi, camoflauge in place, hiding spot staked, computational linguists ready, and duct tape armed and dangerous.

Ahhh.... but I have a staple-gun. En garde!

ka-CHUNK!
Kalos wrote:Big O notation, because despite having 26 english letters, 24 greek letters, and the ability to make up symbols, we STILL choose the one letter easiest confused with a zero

Borrowed Irony

Postby Borrowed Irony » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:40 am UTC

chuckstudios wrote:Strangely enough, I occasionally do this in my head to throw off potential mind readers.

I do the same thing. Naturally I screen everything I say aloud to make sure it is absolutely devoid of useful information. But I can't suppress the thoughts themselves, and have to take precautions.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:45 am UTC

wizzfizz wrote:Did anyone ever have a "Truman" moment when they were young, like the world existed just to study you and your every move? Or was I just crazy
When I used to read aus.tv on usenet, there was a bloke who suffered from this. He called himself "The Truman" and complained about how everyone in his location knew his every move because of the powers that be monitoring and broadcasting his life.

As a child reading far too much Enid Blyton, I used to daydream that I was really a fairy, but had some kind of mental illness which meant my brain couldn't handle the reality of fairyland. So the fairies had constructed the illusion of this artificial world for me to live in, and everyone around me was really a fairy acting a part. One day, when I had sufficiently recovered, they'd dispense with the glamour and I'd get to go and be a fairy in fairyland. But it was more wishful thinking than paranoia :P
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Storm

Postby Storm » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:02 am UTC

To try and forward the meme-ness(?) of "Get out of my head Randall": Get out of my head Randall, I did this not more than 3 hours ago, and then repeated it when I read the comic.
Three Quotes:
Spoiler:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"- J.R.R. Tolkien
"This life is more than just a read through"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Nasaniaru

Postby Nasaniaru » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:10 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:As usual, brilliant simplicity from Mr. Munroe.

Or, I guess, not so simple.

Is it?

I agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes the most simplest things are the most elegant and this proves that statement.

Now thanks to Randall, I will probably do this to the point of insanity.
A tree planted near the water bears fruit, but only when the time is right. Its leaves won't ever wither and it brings prosperity to all.

Move forward and continue to move forward. Do not come to a standstill. This is my Priority One!

Kaiyas

Postby Kaiyas » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:16 am UTC

Hah, does anyone else feel this is very "Get Smart-esque"?
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

adajason

Postby adajason » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:22 am UTC

Strangely enough, I occasionally do this in my head to throw off potential mind readers.

I used to do the same. Back when I was a teen, I used to think "mindshieldmindshieldmindshield" whenever I accidentally imagine someone naked. Haha.

I'm going to start an imaginary simultaneous conversation in my head the next time I talk to someone. You know.. just in case

BirdLauncher

Postby BirdLauncher » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:46 am UTC

I've occasionally done this against mind-readers as well, though generally the vibe is less "I know you're listening" and more "if anybody's reading my mind, please tell me who you are and how you're doing it, I'm really curious". And then I think strings of swears figuring that maybe I'll shock them into revealing themselves.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:52 am UTC

SocialSceneRepairman wrote:
mmx49 wrote:...I've done this before, for exactly the same reasons.

And now you know who's listening.

You win.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

Guybrush

Postby Guybrush » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:22 am UTC

I never knew other people did this.
Though after reading xkcd for so, I really shouldn't be suprised.

Avoidist

Postby Avoidist » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:22 am UTC

I rambled off a long speech to my mirror last night exactly in this vein! This cannot be mere coincidence, the odds are far too slim. Now I know my enemy.

Randall, you will get out of my head. One way... or another.
Except you live on the other side of the Earth, conveniently ruling out any possible confrontation. Curses!

RobinEJ

Postby RobinEJ » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:30 am UTC

trvsdrlng wrote:Dammit, Randall, get out of my head!

No, for real. I hear your voice echoing throughout my room...

Wehpudicabok wrote:I am officially freaked out. Is there anything weird I do that Randall doesn't?

This probably means Randall is part of a secret organization who follows every xkcd-er every move. I know you're there, Randall!

yoe5k1

Postby yoe5k1 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:32 am UTC

Actually, this doesn't work to freak us out. We get it so often we just ignore it.

Beaniedude

Postby Beaniedude » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:33 am UTC

GAH!
Ok, seriously, I do this all the time. Whenever I get out of the shower I always go off into a massive monologue aimed at the people watching me from behind the mirror.
Even though my family thinks I'm weird it is definetly worth it seeing as they are also in on the act. :evil:
And yes, I do have that Truman complex thingo m'bob.
But you already know that. Don't you? Faithful viewer.

It is also fun to do if you are playing Marco Polo or Blind mans Bluff but instead of speaking you just glare at a space in front of you (with your eyes closed) and flash an all knowing, slightly psychotic smile and mouth "I know you are there". If noone is immediantly in front of you it doesn't look weird but if they are, man do they get frightened. :twisted:

Amarantha wrote:
wizzfizz wrote:As a child reading far too much Enid Blyton, I used to daydream that I was really a fairy, but had some kind of mental illness which meant my brain couldn't handle the reality of fairyland. So the fairies had constructed the illusion of this artificial world for me to live in, and everyone around me was really a fairy acting a part. One day, when I had sufficiently recovered, they'd dispense with the glamour and I'd get to go and be a fairy in fairyland. But it was more wishful thinking than paranoia :P

The same thing with me. Except I keep on imaging I would be accepted into Hogwarts. As my 11th birthday rolled by, needless to say I was dissapointed that I didn't receive my letter of acceptance and still I am quite gutted that the magic community did not reveal themselves to me and they still haven't. Oh well, I guess Uni will have to be a substitute, after all, Physics is a type of magic, right?
Right?
"You're a hyper bowl" - Mrs Perry
"STOP STEALING THE ELECTRONS FROM THE CARPET!" - Mr D
Spoiler:
Yay, you can click buttons :D

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:42 am UTC

Hah! I do this all the time. I also think the words "I know you're reading my mind" for the same reason. Today's comic: bang on the mark! :mrgreen:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

mrrix32

Postby mrrix32 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:43 am UTC

First Reaction: Randall, get out of my head!

Thoughts now: Randall designed this comic to get this reaction.... or we're all a big bunch of paranoid freaks :P

toshiro

Postby toshiro » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:49 am UTC

Nice...

But you know, this only works once. After that, the effect wears off until you get a new listening guy/girl, and they might prattle about your habits.

I'm so paranoid I live my life as if I were completely oblivious to my constantly being watched so as to throw em off! Yeah!

Oh wait. Oops...

drjamesaustin

Postby drjamesaustin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:20 am UTC

Is it such a good idea to freak the hell out of some sort of secret organisation? I just don't think you've thought this through very well......

Actually, the only reason you haven't disappeared yet is that every time you say "I know you're listening", someone somewhere in a secret control room is answering "I know you're bluffing".

joshhunt

Postby joshhunt » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:21 am UTC

wizzfizz wrote:Did anyone ever have a "Truman" moment when they were young, like the world existed just to study you and your every move? Or was I just crazy

I often talk to the readers of the book I am in, a la Sophies World.
I figured the same thing as the comic: if I really am in a book I am awesome because I have become aware of this. If not, no one really heard me so who cares.

Also, I often say 'I know you are there' even if I remotly suspect my brother is sneaking up on me when I'm on my computer. Often he is not

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:54 am UTC

The funny thing is that only three-quarters of those of you who have claimed to do this actually do it. The other ones are just jumping on the bandwagon. We expect that figure to rise now of course.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Theogrin

Postby Theogrin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:54 am UTC

I highly suggest switching it up, now and then, with maniacal laughter. It has proven stress-relieving benefits, and freaks them out all the more on top of it!
A while ago I decided that the best way to progress through life was to do something new every day. Unfortunately, I got bored of that a few days later.

guayec

Postby guayec » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:33 am UTC

I do something similar: sometimes when I'm out I look up to the sky grinning and point.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:34 am UTC

adajason wrote:
Strangely enough, I occasionally do this in my head to throw off potential mind readers.

I used to do the same. Back when I was a teen, I used to think "mindshieldmindshieldmindshield" whenever I accidentally someone naked. Haha.

I'm going to start an imaginary simultaneous conversation in my head the next time I talk to someone. You know.. just in case

Fixed.

yoe5k1 wrote:Actually, this doesn't work to freak us out. We get it so often we just ignore it.

Which is why disinformation is the best strategy.

Also, plausible deniability.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:03 pm UTC

Not bad! Randall went through a slump in the fall but is doing a lot of good-to-great ones lately.

Tzsak

Postby Tzsak » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

I do this in a slightly different way.For some reason I'm paranoid about people mind reading me. This means I scream at people to get out of my head, in my head.

Yup. >_>

rockym93

Postby rockym93 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:29 pm UTC

My friend is convinced that he is in the Truman show... and that a pair of non-identical twins (fraternal sounds weird, cuz they're girls) in our Ancient History class are actually extremely poor actors playing identical twins, and takes every opportunity to point out flaws in their 'acting'.

Mind you, he could be on to something there. Those two always acted a little strange...

I know you're list- er, reading...
"It's kinda fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

Fratboy

Postby Fratboy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:46 pm UTC

Get out of my head, Randall!!!
Gosh, that's awesome.

libra

Postby libra » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

Oh, I love doing this.

I also love staring deeply into the glass eyes of the CCTVs the police have put up everywhere here in the UK ... and yawning.

Mabus_Zero

Postby Mabus_Zero » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:37 pm UTC

I, too, have at times done this. If I freak out the FBI, serves them right for watching me masturbate.

Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

anotherangel

Postby anotherangel » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:40 pm UTC

I haven't done this but sometimes when I'm on a bus, I think it instead. "I know you're listening, I'm totally on to you." If someone can read minds and they over hear that, hopefully they'll be freaked out. Same theory!

RoberII

Postby RoberII » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:43 pm UTC

Get out of my threads, Randall!

Get out of my bed, Randall!

Get out of my legs, Randall! (o.O)

ugh.

Randall should run a comic with a guy doing normal things - "This morning, I ate some cereal. Then I went to work." - just so people could REALLY get into the whole geddouttamyhead thing. I mean, really get it out of their system. And then never do it again.

(He could actually do it with black hat dude, and it would be funny/ominous)

Anyway, I think most people have done this once or twice, or something like it - I write and save emails full of what I imagine to be key words - jihad, bomb, fertilizer, plane, etc... It's like playing peekaboo with the CIA!
IcedT wrote:Also, this raises the important question of whether or not dinosaurs were delicious.

I write poetry!

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

My whole life is a Truman moment, for my name is Truman.

I will admit that I've done this before. For the same reasons. Is this where I say "get out of my head, Randall"?
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”