0525: "I Know You're Listening"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Blurr

Re: "I Know You're Listening" Discussion

Postby Blurr » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:43 am UTC

I do this in elevators. I'll lean against the wall and as soon as the door opens and before I have line-of-sight I'll say "Good morning" or "Good evening" (as appropriate). This has the hilarious effect of creeping the hell out of the people in the elevator. :D

santiago

Postby santiago » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:44 am UTC

HenryGifford wrote:You know I sometimes do the mind-reading thing, but then I remember that somewhere on a deeper level of my mind I'm saying "Hopefully they won't know I'm bluffing, if they are reading my mind," and I think they can hear that.

When i thought of that i came up with the rule that they can only listen to your inner thinking voice

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:03 am UTC

BlessedBlogger wrote:I do this as well, have for years. In fact I'm so paranoid at this point that I've stopped saying out loud any good ideas I have for fear that they will be stolen by whomever is listening (it's happened more than once!). In all likelihood someone else just thought of the same idea as me but I'd rather err on the side of crazy.
People steal my ideas, too. The only problem is, these are the ones which I've never even said aloud! That's right; big corporations get ideas from me all the time; I'm sure of it. How else could it be possible that they release products somewhat related to ideas I had in the past? The only reasonable conclusion: mind reading satellites. It makes perfect sense.
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

sableye22

Postby sableye22 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:09 am UTC

This is why I always get aggravated when people act so weird about other people talking to themselves. Everyone has internal conversations every once in a while, gosh darn it!
I myself prefer to do everything like someone is always looking.

Amarantha wrote:
As a child reading far too much Enid Blyton, I used to daydream that I was really a fairy, but had some kind of mental illness which meant my brain couldn't handle the reality of fairyland. So the fairies had constructed the illusion of this artificial world for me to live in, and everyone around me was really a fairy acting a part. One day, when I had sufficiently recovered, they'd dispense with the glamour and I'd get to go and be a fairy in fairyland. But it was more wishful thinking than paranoia :P

that. is. awesome.
It's a wonder to me how we as children can come up with so many intricate plots to make our daily lives exciting.
You don't have to spend, you just have to pretend.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:29 am UTC

I never had one of those mind reading or listening in feelings as a kid...just the feeling of clairvoyance, which still comes up.

It is most obvious when I start randomly reciting lines from television programs, usually the Simpsons, only to ind out hours later that that exact episode is on TV. I did it once a few weeks ago with I movie I hadn't seen in years, and it freaked me out.

Socks

Postby Socks » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:59 am UTC

I once tried getting really good at alphabinary, so whenever I thought someone was reading my mind, I'd just start spelling out my thoughts in alphabinary. :S
I figured that if someone had gotten really good at mind-reading, they probably wouldn't bother to learn alphabinary as well.

Since then, I've realized that it's much easier just to be bi-lingual, and whenever I'm in an english-speaking country, I can just think in Swedish!
Last edited by Socks on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Lindir The Green

Postby Lindir The Green » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:12 am UTC

I have always considered the possibility that I am an insectoid alien from the future having a dream, complete with false memories.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:47 am UTC

I think this is the latest i have ever gotten around to reading xkcd since i first started reading it.

That thought aside i do this all the time as well as a variant were i will make wagers or do something that is widely considered to have an extremely low probability of success while also having an extremely low level of negative consequences. If i fail nobody cares because they didn't expect me to succeed in the first place. But if i succeed everyone is amazed. Always a lot of fun.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Cybele

Postby Cybele » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:12 am UTC

I do this in my own mind periodically in response to my paranoia of mind-readers. I think it's probably not as bad as it seems...

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:13 am UTC

I know I'm listening.

Faranya wrote:I never had one of those mind reading or listening in feelings as a kid...just the feeling of clairvoyance, which still comes up.

It is most obvious when I start randomly reciting lines from television programs, usually the Simpsons, only to ind out hours later that that exact episode is on TV. I did it once a few weeks ago with I movie I hadn't seen in years, and it freaked me out.

I'd have that too. Like I'd have a dream about a movie, and the next day I'd find it on HBO.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

dhl262

Postby dhl262 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:57 am UTC

I'm gonna start doing this!

Einarin

Postby Einarin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:29 am UTC

The best part for me was going to the wikipedia page for pascal's wager and seeing the comic in the cultural references. Randall is not only in our minds, he's in our culture now...

Also, I said it aloud right after reading the comic...

mellows

Postby mellows » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:03 pm UTC

I can't believe how common this crazy paranoia is!
I thought I was insane until I read this... Whenever I stay in hotels or whatever I worry that the mirrors are rigged with cameras, so I generally do something to let them know I'm aware. I think the reason for this all must be... *cue drum-roll* Hollywood...

Or perhaps over-active minds? Not that that's a bad thing. Or simply over-cautious people...

edit: My apologies if I've repeated something said in the previous three pages. I initially thought the thread extended but one page; which I did read.

Alaska

Postby Alaska » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:22 pm UTC

i flip the finger to random corners in rooms and elevators :)

SomethingAwesome

Postby SomethingAwesome » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

There is only one response; containment.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

I saw a video on Metacafe some time ago. "How to hide from paparazzis" or something. The general idea of the strategy was to put infrared or ultraviolet LEDs on a hat or glasses. That way - people could see your face, whereas cameras would pick up the LED light and show it as visible light. All the paparazzis would see on their photos would be some ghost like light instead of faces. Getting some ultrabright LEDS and make globes of some kind and put them in various locations of one's room? I'm (w)earing glasses and I'm thinking of doing this - I just hope they have such LEDs at my school, though.

roflcopter

Postby roflcopter » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:06 pm UTC

Ummm, I read this comic just after getting out of the shower on my way to grabbing clothes but after ditching my towel, yes I am home alone, and you have no clue how fast the 'they're watching me' thought when through my head, and how quickly I walked back to get my towel...

I know I'm not the only person that does that!!!

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!!!

giant_bug

Postby giant_bug » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

Guys, you completely ruin the effect by talking about it.

If They are listening, then They are also probably monitoring your internet usage. They saw the XKCD comic you read and now They will know not to be freaked out when you claim you know They are listening.

Sorry, you blew it.

Thisisnotausername

Postby Thisisnotausername » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:11 pm UTC

Wow, I do the exact same thing! I also instinctively look for cameras whenever I go anywhere new, and sometimes instead of "I know you're listening," I use "I know you're there." I chalk it up to paranoia.
Random832 wrote:Superman in particular probably had a chance to try those skills on farm animals first....

BrainMagMo

Postby BrainMagMo » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

wizzfizz wrote:Did anyone ever have a "Truman" moment when they were young, like the world existed just to study you and your every move? Or was I just crazy
I've had that exact opposite, like I felt the world exited for me to study it, or like it was just a big joke that the gods were pulling on me.
I know you're reading this.
Don't go out in public like that.
Last edited by BrainMagMo on Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:I know I'm listening.

Faranya wrote:I never had one of those mind reading or listening in feelings as a kid...just the feeling of clairvoyance, which still comes up.

I'd have that too. Like I'd have a dream about a movie, and the next day I'd find it on HBO.

Yeah, one day I was on my way to lunch, walking down an empty hall, and suddenly heard a voice in the back of my mine: "That's what I love about high school girls..."

Later that night, I discovered Dazed and Confused was on TV...

Which was freaky, cause I had only ever seen approximatly half at any point in time more than 3 years prior...

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

I know this is really cliché, but Randall, GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HEAD. Seriously. I think he bases the comics on what we post in the forum, or has some kind of remote mind-reading machine...
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

Southwest

Postby Southwest » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:19 am UTC

kanavazk wrote:I know this is really cliché, but Randall, GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HEAD. Seriously. I think he bases the comics on what we post in the forum, or has some kind of remote mind-reading machine...

He's listening.

plantofail

Postby plantofail » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:28 am UTC

i'd like to thank randall for rekindinling my paranoia

which leads me to this

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=COwfIhvRtNw

The_Dean_Man

Postby The_Dean_Man » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:56 am UTC

See this happens to me alot cuz as soon as i have a completely original idea and i say it aloud sum1 tells me its already a movie or its been done or sumthin... it makes me sad... the conclusion ive reached (lol big word) is that sum1 (prolly a raptor) goes forward into time, steals my idea, and does it in the past so i cant... :cry:

starseedjenny

Postby starseedjenny » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:32 am UTC

I definitely do this inside my head. Usually it's in some kind of boring meeting when my mind is wandering and I KNOW that if someone was reading minds they'd probably follow the most interesting (weirdest? my?) train of thought.

I'll look around at each person in the room, one by one, making eye contact if possible, and then drop my eyes to my hands and think, "I know you're listening and I don't much appreciate it."

ISammael wrote:
wizzfizz wrote:Did anyone ever have a "Truman" moment when they were young, like the world existed just to study you and your every move? Or was I just crazy

I always thought I was the only person who thought he was a "real-life" Truman... sometimes I still think it.

/is only a little paranoid, really.

Nope.

Kutch wrote:

I did toy with the idea that I was the only sentient being in the world, and that everyone else was a very advanced robot. I didn't think a lot about being studied in that context, though. Another idea I toyed with was that my body co-existed in some parallell reality, and that this other body of mine moved exactly like I do in THIS reality, even though the same objects wouldn't be there. So for instance, if I'm sitting on a chair, I would look like I was sitting in thin air (naked, too) in the other world. If I walked on the street here and the other reality happened to have a wall there, I would walk right through it as if there was nothing there, breaking the wall with no effort. It would be impossible to affect me in this other reality. I would probably be a huge attraction, but pretty dangerous to be around.

Also, I think I've done the "I know you're listening" thing, but I stopped in fear of someone hearing me from a distance and thinking I'm crazy. Which I'm not. :P But I like playing with ideas.

How would you be dangerous to be around? You know, unless "getting flashed" equals "being in danger."
Last edited by starseedjenny on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

starseedjenny

Postby starseedjenny » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:35 am UTC

ISammael wrote:

I always thought I was the only person who thought he was a "real-life" Truman... sometimes I still think it.

/is only a little paranoid, really.

Nope.

The_Dean_Man

Postby The_Dean_Man » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:37 am UTC

starseedjenny wrote:I definitely do this inside my head. Usually it's in some kind of boring meeting when my mind is wandering and I KNOW that if someone was reading minds they'd probably follow the most interesting (weirdest? my?) train of thought.

I'll look around at each person in the room, one by one, making eye contact if possible, and then drop my eyes to my hands and think, "I know you're listening and I don't much appreciate it."

lol yea im paranoid of things like this all the time, i think im on some kind of show where everyone sees everything i do and can read my mind at any moment so i randomly think about that which makes me think that i never coulda come up woth and idea like that on my own which means i musta known and they wiped my memory and i just have a feeling of Deja Vo in which i remember it but dont believe in it... im just messed up lol

Edit: Pretty much an advanced case of The Truman Syndrome
Last edited by The_Dean_Man on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

starseedjenny

Postby starseedjenny » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:39 am UTC

Sorry for the weird double-y thing. I went to delete the second one and it had been replied to. x_x

The_Dean_Man

Postby The_Dean_Man » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:42 am UTC

starseedjenny wrote:Sorry for the weird double-y thing. I went to delete the second one and it had been replied to. x_x

oops srry :oops:

Jengajam2

Postby Jengajam2 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:47 am UTC

giant_bug wrote:Guys, you completely ruin the effect by talking about it.

If They are listening, then They are also probably monitoring your internet usage. They saw the XKCD comic you read and now They will know not to be freaked out when you claim you know They are listening.

Sorry, you blew it.

Apparently, there has been a hefty number of XKCDers who had this at one time or another. They would've figured it out by now.

Guybrush

Postby Guybrush » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:20 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:
When I used to read aus.tv on usenet, there was a bloke who suffered from this. He called himself "The Truman" and complained about how everyone in his location knew his every move because of the powers that be monitoring and broadcasting his life.

As a child reading far too much Enid Blyton, I used to daydream that I was really a fairy, but had some kind of mental illness which meant my brain couldn't handle the reality of fairyland. So the fairies had constructed the illusion of this artificial world for me to live in, and everyone around me was really a fairy acting a part. One day, when I had sufficiently recovered, they'd dispense with the glamour and I'd get to go and be a fairy in fairyland. But it was more wishful thinking than paranoia :P

I often have a similar thought, except I'm in a coma imagining everything (literally everything. movies, music, picturee, etc.), and whenever I sing a song out loud, they marvel at this coma patient's talents and write it dow and sell it, putting all the proceeds in a bank account for me, so I'll be rich when I wake up. If I do.
But like you said, it's just wishful thinking.

KShap

Postby KShap » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:28 am UTC

Even weirder than this strip, I will think "I know you're reading my mind" at people by the same logic.

KShap

Postby KShap » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:31 am UTC

And as for all this Truman Show paranoia: we are all unpaid extras on The Hills.

demadaha

Postby demadaha » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:03 am UTC

For all of you people who think "I know your reading my mind," I now feel like I should randomly say "Oh, you can tell when I read your thoughts?" in crowded areas and see who responds.
Warning: Post may contain lame, overused reference.
That's no reference! It's a space station!

Maldeus

Postby Maldeus » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:49 am UTC

Jengajam2 wrote:
giant_bug wrote:Guys, you completely ruin the effect by talking about it.

Sorry, you blew it.

Apparently, there has been a hefty number of XKCDers who had this at one time or another. They would've figured it out by now.

Either that or they thought there was a massive number of people who were secretly aware of their organization. The concept of so many people seeing through it, in spite of whatever security measures they may have taken, may have led them to believe that they (I never did this) were all part of some massive counter-conspiracy. There is, of course, another potential implication, but I won't give it away because they're monitoring my internet usage and I can't let them find out.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:27 am UTC

I do pretty much the same thing, only more on the paranormal side: I'll suddenly snap my head around to look at an empty corner in the room in case there's an invisible person hiding there, or think something like "Hey! Quit spying, you pervert!" just to screw with any resident psychics.

So yeah, I guess this is my first real opportunity to say this: Damn it Randall, get out of my head!
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

_plethora_

Postby _plethora_ » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:18 pm UTC

demadaha wrote:For all of you people who think "I know your reading my mind," I now feel like I should randomly say "Oh, you can tell when I read your thoughts?" in crowded areas and see who responds.

See now, that is something I would do. I enjoy prodding at other people's paranoir.

That said, it's a bit like losing The Game isn't it? Noone ever actually says out loud in public "I've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect" because they don't want to explain themselves to a whole bus full of people.

Kitsusyn

Postby Kitsusyn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

OK, I have just had my first "Randall, get out of my head" moment thing. :3
Get off my Internet.

xzachtheman

Postby xzachtheman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

the only problem is, once they know you know, they wont have to hide anymore. that is what gets interesting.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”