0526: "Converting to Metric"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

chumbawamba

Re: "Converting to Metric" Discussion

Postby chumbawamba » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

Long time lurker, first time poster!

This discussion reminds me of the most delightfully stupid conversation I ever had. When I was a sophomore at the University of Rhode Island, I delivered pizzas part-time for the local Domino's establishment. Most of our customers were either the upper-middle-class families that lived on roads with cul-de-sacs or my fellow students who rented out split-level ranches for nine months out of the year. I usually worked Friday and Saturday nights, but I avoided killing my prime party-going times by working a 4pm-9pm shift, so I could be fashionably late. But I always ended up using my final hour delivering to parties.

So one Friday night, I answer the phone and a young woman who is obviously at a loud party asks for delivery. Her caller ID comes up as a New Jersey-based cell phone. I ask her for her number and punch it into the computer. Nothing comes up, so I ask for her address. She replies, "Curtis Corner Road." Now this road is about two and a half miles (or four kilometers) long and has over a thousand houses. Or at least, over a thousand numbers. So I ask her what number house it is. She doesn't know and I hear her ask someone. She comes back, "401-874..."

And I have to interrupt her and say, "No, not the phone number. The number on the house."

So I hear her ask at least a dozen people what number house it is and they all don't know. Then I hear some guy with a "Joisey" accent grab her cell phone and say, "657 Curtis Corner Road." He hands the phone back to the girl and I ask her what she would like to order.

"Do you have Sprite Remix?" she asks.

I'm taken aback slightly by this question, but shake my head and answer, "No, just regular Sprite."

"Oh. OK, I'll have one of those."

"Would you like a can or a two-liter?"

"How big's a two-liter?"

My brain shuts down completely. I cannot believe that someone attending an institution of higher learning could possibly be so dumb. I answer the only thing that comes to my fried mind. "Two liters."

"Oh. I'll have one of those."

xSauronx

Re: Converting to Metric

Postby xSauronx » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

TheHand wrote:This one is screaming "MAKE ME A POSTER!"

I signed up just to find out where to make my demands. I definitely want a nice print of this one. Who do i have to stalk to get it?

MarcyMarc

Postby MarcyMarc » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

So I hear her ask at least a dozen people what number house it is and they all don't know. Then I hear some guy with a "Joisey" accent grab her cell phone and say, "657 Curtis Corner Road." He hands the phone back to the girl and I ask her what she would like to order.

:shock:

Really. We HAVE to go there? Really?

Don't mess with Joisey. We might just call up our mafia friends. Or Bruce Springsteen. Or Bon Jovi. Or House. Then again, in a celebrity death match, NJ is screwed.

Anyway, great comic-- legitimately useful
marcYɔɹɐɯ

eaglef2

Postby eaglef2 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:00 am UTC

I feel so out of place with everyone posting that they live in negative degrees. I live in Santa Barbara, California where it's pretty much always at least 60 - 70 F or 15.5 - 21 C.

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:49 pm UTC

eaglef2 wrote:I feel so out of place with everyone posting that they live in negative degrees. I live in Santa Barbara, California where it's pretty much always at least 60 - 70 F or 15.5 - 21 C.

Way to rub it in--blizzard conditions in my area. In the lab today, the fume hoods were turned up full blast, to vent a bad-smelling chemical and let in "fresh air" from outside. My thermometer indoors read 14 degrees C, not what I like to call "room temperature."
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

dannomac

Postby dannomac » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:30 pm UTC

Here's what it's like in my area right now:
Temperature.png
Temperature.png (63.31 KiB) Viewed 8200 times

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

dannomac wrote:Here's what it's like in my area right now:
Temperature.png

I was about to ask if that's in F or C, then I realized - does it matter?

dannomac

Postby dannomac » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:I was about to ask if that's in F or C, then I realized - does it matter?

Oh, it matters. It is C, so the 5 day forcast looks even worse. It will get warm enough for the ice and snow on the roads to melt, and then it will freeze again and the snow will turn into sheet ice. Driving will be fun!

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

I was amazed by the weather yesterday (Edmonton).

It was brilliantly sunny, with a temperature of about -20C. (0F). Record-breaking cold for this time of year (the day started at -30), but that is not what amazed me. In the noon-day sun, snow on the roof of the shed was MELTING (not sublimating). I'm talking relatively pure snow, not the stuff with salt added.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. In the summer is is common for such surfaces to be MUCH warmer than the ambient temperature.
Did you get the number on that truck?

AtG

Postby AtG » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:54 am UTC

Laughing at -10 °C being a cold day in Moscow. Well, who knows with the recent warm winters. I'd go with -20 °C and probably nobody raises a brow before -30 °C. I experienced -40 once (Finland), but it aint no reason to skip school.

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:48 am UTC

Comic JK wrote:
eaglef2 wrote:I feel so out of place with everyone posting that they live in negative degrees. I live in Santa Barbara, California where it's pretty much always at least 60 - 70 F or 15.5 - 21 C.

Way to rub it in--blizzard conditions in my area. In the lab today, the fume hoods were turned up full blast, to vent a bad-smelling chemical and let in "fresh air" from outside. My thermometer indoors read 14 degrees C, not what I like to call "room temperature."

Hehe... live it up, man. 18 months ago I was on the verge of quitting a nasty school-science-tech job....

Main reason being the insane volume of work (the policy makers who wanted to do a huge number of practical lessons vs most other schools didn't quite seem to understand that a little thing called "work" was involved in preparing for, setting up, conducting, and clearing up after each one, including safety provision, copying/making worksheets, getting stuff in from outside etc, and that our team and equipment levels were simply far, far too small to support it) and my unwillingness to copy the other techs in cutting so many corners in order to deliver a scrap of something for each and every one that it was actually a bit pointless bothering, whilst literally running around to each classroom... rather than being able to do a moderate-quality job on a realistic number of pracs ---
--- but the fact that a lot of the prep work had to take place in an UNHEATED, STONE FLOORED lab with no windows but a straight-to-atmosphere pair of vent fans and a similar fume cupboard didn't make me any friendlier to the future of the role as we were heading towards a typical british winter .... and by the time I quit in October, general daytime temperatures in said room were in the mid single figures 'C ambient, plus inevitable wind-chill, and it was a matter of personal preference whether your cack-handedness with the little tubs of powdered chemicals and ancient dropper bottles of sulphuric acid was down to wearing thick gloves, or just not being able to feel your fingers (or ears - and that's with a woolen hat on).
Didn't fancy sticking around to see what happened once it went below freezing and you presumably had to lose even more time defrosting the acid before you could use it. Valued my health and sanity more than the meagre increase to my income the salary afforded vs being on benefit for a few months.

Jeez, having to be in the radioisotope tracer prep room at the hospital job before that, at 6am in january, with a collegue whom I shared mutual dislike, was warmer and friendlier...

franck111

Re: 0526: "Converting to Metric"

Postby franck111 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:18 pm UTC

OK, so i was looking for a convection to Fahrenheit and I could not found one. So I took this one and changed everything to imperial.
I am sorry for any error English is not my first language and I still do some mistakes.

converting_to_imperial.png

I had to choose between common sense and being exact at a couple of place so I choose exactitude.( ex : 110 kph is actually 68 mph)
I used Humor Sans as a font. If anyone see mistakes please tell me and I will correct them. If this is a copyright problem please tell me and I will remove it.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:22 pm UTC

Very nice!

Non-commercial use of the comics is allowed if you mention the original author - see "This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License." near the bottom of the main page https://xkcd.com .
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

drachefly

Postby drachefly » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:52 pm UTC

I had to choose between common sense and being exact at a couple of place so I choose exactitude.( ex : 110 kph is actually 68 mph)

yes, I found your round-trip converting 65 mph to 68 mph amusing.

SFX

Postby SFX » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:12 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:I was amazed by the weather yesterday (Edmonton).

It was brilliantly sunny, with a temperature of about -20C. (0F).
Bad case of SIWOTI Syndrome kicking in.

-20C is -4 F

(-4°F-32)×5/9 = -20°C

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:14 pm UTC

SFX wrote:
phillipsjk wrote:I was amazed by the weather yesterday (Edmonton).

It was brilliantly sunny, with a temperature of about -20C. (0F).
Bad case of SIWOTI Syndrome kicking in.

-20C is -4 F

(-4°F-32)×5/9 = -20°C

0°F = -17.77777...°C, which is indeed about -20°C.

SFX

Postby SFX » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:06 pm UTC

cyanyoshi wrote:0°F = -17.77777...°C, which is indeed about -20°C.
You know that's how flame wars start :P

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:13 pm UTC

SFX wrote:

What's flaming at 0°F?

SFX

Postby SFX » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:17 pm UTC

In the comic, he describes -20C as FUCKFUCKFUCKCOLD

- 17.777C JUST DOESN'T SOUND AS COLD.

THAT IS ALL

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:19 am UTC

I've never had spit go clink at -40, but one day walking home from school at -56°C i decided to try it and it really does work (it might have been colder than that even, that was the days high. Yes it was a record). I was impressed. :D

SFX

Postby SFX » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:31 am UTC

Coeus wrote:I've never had spit go clink at -40, but one day walking home from school at -56°C i decided to try it and it really does work (it might have been colder than that even, that was the days high. Yes it was a record). I was impressed. :D
So the high for the day was -68.8°F, 100° F below freezing. And I thought there weren't any kids, much less any schools at the Vostok Station.

The things you learn on internet

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:33 pm UTC

SFX wrote: And I thought there weren't any kids, much less any schools at the Vostok Station.

The things you learn on internet

No but there are a few in the extreme northern parts of Canada :P

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:50 am UTC

Update: Burma/Myanmar is switching to metric so soon it will just be the USA and Liberia, the axis of ye olde.
a) Please explain the specific MEDICAL reason for ordering this MEDICATION !
b) Please state the nature of your ailment or injury.
c) One a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?
d) Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

Kalium_Puceon

Postby Kalium_Puceon » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:50 am UTC

There's a neat add-on called the Dictionary of Numbers for Chrome browsers. It reads the page and sticks an approximate real-world example of a value it finds.

for instance, if it reads: 1003m/s it'll add [muzle velocity of an M16 rifle] or if you give it 300 ft it'll return [height of statue of liberty from pedestal to torch]

It's nice because it adds a level of physical understanding of how big things are.
"You never get over the desire to do stupid things. You simply have to overrule your stupid urges with an acquired sense of fear."

-Dr. Richard Weisiger

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:49 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
SFX wrote:

What's flaming at 0°F?

Anything, assuming an 100% FOOF atmosphere.

SFX wrote:In the comic, he describes -20C as FUCKFUCKFUCKCOLD

It's not too bad. I have gone camping in such weather. You really want to set your hiking shoes in an "open" state for the night though, else you are not getting into them. Once you have them on they'll get flexible soon enough but getting them on while frozen folded over is impossible. Then you have to start your cooking burner just to melt you shoes.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:55 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Anything, assuming an 100% FOOF atmosphere.

Ah, FOOF, our old friend. It's been a while!
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:58 pm UTC

(That link gave me an error, a little digging found the excellent article moved here)
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:27 am UTC

OP Tipping wrote:Update: Burma/Myanmar is switching to metric so soon it will just be the USA and Liberia, the axis of ye olde.

Is there any chance of them also doing the sensible thing and switching back to driving on the left? Their road infrastructure was originally built for left-hand driving, the vast majority of vehicles have the steering wheel on the right (meaning that bus passengers have to walk into the middle of the road to board), but, as I understand it, the rule was changed overnight on the advice of the ruler's astrologer.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

SFX

Postby SFX » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:15 pm UTC

Kalium_Puceon wrote:It's nice because it adds a level of physical understanding of how big things are.
That is really cool. Thanks.

blog.xkcd.com/2013/05/15/dictionary-of-numbers/

Monox D. I-Fly

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:41 pm UTC

Wait, jogging is 13 kph? Are you telling me that people jog faster than me riding my bicycle?
Finally found one comic mentioning a Trading Card Game:
https://xkcd.com/696/

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”