0531: "Contingency Plan"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: "Contingency Plan" discussion

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:14 am UTC

First, I suffered from cheese burns.

Second, I thought about the various flaws in the plan.

Even if the kid got diabetes and became insulin dependant, being deprived of it wouldn't kill it straight away. It would take months.

Also, why do the parents assume they're the only source of insulin? Come to the UK and you get it for free off the NHS.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Kookaburra

Postby Kookaburra » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:24 am UTC

It can take anywhere from 2 days to three weeks to go into DKA, (most people in DKA I've been dispatched to were feeling "off" for a week and a half or so) and that depends on how many beta cells are still functioning.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:32 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:And I turn 23 tomorrow. Hmm.

Ooh, happy un-birthday for today, then. ^o^ Take the red or the blue pill, primer?

EDIT: Uhm, I saw the Matrix again yesterday and felt like saying something Alice in Wonderland related, of course. Happy birthday today. =D
Last edited by Nemphael on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gero

Postby Gero » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:55 am UTC

"I take the Jurassic Park approach to Parenting"

We know! In fact, you take the Jurassic Park approach to most things....

Sirobin wrote:I'm definitely missing something in this comic...

Biology major perhaps?

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:59 am UTC

aion7 wrote:Or they could say they did, and administer a placebo to the child.

But

the placebo would consist of sugar

no?

yes?

Yes, I know the placebo is for the insulin, not the sugar, that's why it's ironic.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

atimholt

Postby atimholt » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:59 am UTC

Was the lysine thing a book exclusive? They probably mentioned it in passing in the movie, huh? After all, it wasn't a big deal in the film, where velociraptors weren't making an escape to the mainland.
Man, it's been years since I read that. Jurassic park was the only (only) good Michael Crichton movie. That I've seen. Haven't seen Andromeda strain, but I've read it. And, fine, Westworld wasn't bad. That one wasn't based on a book, was it? That was Michael Crichton, wasn't it? Crichton is pronounced 'cry-ton,' isn't it?
While I'm on the subject, his best book was Sphere. Never watch the movie. And if you insist on watching the movie, for your own everlasting sake, read the book first. It's one of those awesominities that has a million twists. The movie dilutes them, gets them wrong, and will spoil a great great book for you.
Who else likes that there were fractals at every section break in the book? Dumb question.
[/rambling] *takes a breath*
Totally random totally awesome SF quote:
Jorane Sutt put the tips of carefully-manicured fingers together and said, "It's something of a puzzle. In fact--and this is in the strictest confidence--it may be another one of Hari Seldon's crises."

scherge

Postby scherge » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:30 am UTC

This reminds me of a friend of mine (who has three kids).
Some years ago, he told me: "I don't care for pension funds, etc.. I'll just raise my kids in a way so that they think it's perfectly normal to give me money all the time."

Maybe he's in need of a contingency plan? Hmmm...I'll better send him this strip.

Gero

Postby Gero » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:32 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:Also, some of the baby's DNA has been replaced with frog DNA.

Does it catch flies with it's tongue as a consequence?

Osha wrote:Those fools!
Nature will find a way.

You two are genuises! Oh me yarm great stuff.

Asday wrote:You make me want to stab my friend Catherine in the eyes.

Even when it's wearing the cute caption?

confused

Postby confused » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:46 am UTC

Argh! Wrong! Most popular misconception about diabetes! BAD xkcd, BAD.

You can ONLY treat type I diabetes - the type where your body attacks your pancreas for no obvious reason - with insulin. You can't possibly cause this by feeding someone too much sugar.

You can NEVER treat type II diabetes with insulin - it's caused by the body become immune to it, so dumping in more insulin has absolutely no effect - and this is the form of diabetes that you get from feeding someone too much sugar.

There is currently no cure for type II diabetes - which the protagonist is trying to produce - and not even any way to manage it, except "eat less sugar".

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:48 am UTC

confused wrote:Argh! Wrong! Most popular misconception about diabetes! BAD xkcd, BAD.

You can ONLY treat type I diabetes - the type where your body attacks your pancreas for no obvious reason - with insulin. You can't possibly cause this by feeding someone too much sugar.

You can NEVER treat type II diabetes with insulin - it's caused by the body become immune to it, so dumping in more insulin has absolutely no effect - and this is the form of diabetes that you get from feeding someone too much sugar.

There is currently no cure for type II diabetes - which the protagonist is trying to produce - and not even any way to manage it, except "eat less sugar".

I don't know . . ..I'm still not convinced . . . .
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Gero

Postby Gero » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:11 am UTC

I heard that artificial sweetener (stuff in coke light) can give you diabetes by prepping the body for reception of sugar you are tasting, thus releasing insulin. Since the sweet stuff is then not sugar and doesn't give you any energy, the cells learn to ignore insulin.... or something like that. Like I said it's what I heard. "They" said so. But sounds like it might happen until a real scientist tests it doesn't it?

Jimmigee

Postby Jimmigee » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:49 am UTC

confused wrote:Argh! Wrong! Most popular misconception about diabetes! BAD xkcd, BAD.

Your first point is valid (type I is not connected with obesity) but even type II can be managed with insulin along with exercise, eating well and other meds. It is usually just a resistance, rather than immunity.

A better option would be genetically alter the childs genome to give them type I. This makes them properly dependant on the insulin, is closer to the Jurassic Park approach, and has the advantage of potentially passing it on to your children's children, thus affording your offspring the chance to continue this superb parenting technique.

J

Kookaburra

Postby Kookaburra » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:49 pm UTC

Jimigee -
Also, if they were type 1, it would be easier to control them, since all you would have to do would be to give them insulin and then not feed them on time. They would be in Insulin Shock within an hour or so. Much more reliable than waiting for DKA to set in.

telkanuru

Postby telkanuru » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:59 pm UTC

Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to plant a small explosive device at the base of their skull?
Life in a box is better than no life at all, I expect. You'd have a chance, at least. You could lie there thinking, "Well. At least I'm not dead."
-R&G are Dead

CiDhed

Postby CiDhed » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:19 pm UTC

Ketracel white?

haliblix

Postby haliblix » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

Dr. Ian Malcolm wrote:If there is one thing the history of children has taught us it's that they will not be contained. They break free, expand to new territory, and crash through barriers to the candy stash, painfully, maybe even dangerously.

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

stone915 wrote:

All the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park were a genetic experiment that went wrong. Randall's mentality is that if he makes the kid dependent on insulin from the start, he can withhold insulin (and therefore kill/disable the child) if the baby ever turns into a velociraptor and tries to kill him.

EDIT: I realized "evil velociraptor" was redundant.

Velociraptors are not evil.. they are just hungry and to be honest it's *your* fault for being chewy on the outside and crunchy in the middle.

telkanuru wrote:Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to plant a small explosive device at the base of their skull?

you are forgetting to factor in the cost of the medical docorate you'd need to be able to install it without killing the specimin.. plus the necessary schooling to design a small radio controlled explosive that was stable enough to not randomly go off and sterile and non reactive enough to not cause an allergic reaction.
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:First, I suffered from cheese burns.

Second, I thought about the various flaws in the plan.

Even if the kid got diabetes and became insulin dependant, being deprived of it wouldn't kill it straight away. It would take months.

Also, why do the parents assume they're the only source of insulin? Come to the UK and you get it for free off the NHS.

Yeah... you could go and seek out insulin-rich plants or something :)

Gero wrote:I heard that artificial sweetener (stuff in coke light) can give you diabetes by prepping the body for reception of sugar you are tasting, thus releasing insulin. Since the sweet stuff is then not sugar and doesn't give you any energy, the cells learn to ignore insulin.... or something like that. Like I said it's what I heard. "They" said so. But sounds like it might happen until a real scientist tests it doesn't it?

Haha, artificial sweeteners are probably next on the list below nuclear power, paediatric vaccines and genetically modified plants as the things that people seem to make up no end of psedoscientific dogmatic bullshit about.
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:27 pm UTC

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. See the Wikipedia article for a start. And this one.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

wookaru

Postby wookaru » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:37 pm UTC

atimholt wrote:Was the lysine thing a book exclusive? They probably mentioned it in passing in the movie, huh?

Mr. Arnold (Sam Jackson) explained it briefly:

"The lysine contingency - it's intended to prevent the
spread of the animals is case they ever got off the
island, but we could use it now. Dr. Wu inserted a gene
that makes a single faulty enzyme in protein metabolism.
Animals can't manufacture the amino acid lysine. Unless
they're continually supplied with lysine by us, they'll
go into a coma and die."

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/jura ... 12_92.html

Susy

Postby Susy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

illxkcdthat wrote:no comprende la comica de "contigency"

i es no comica !

por la manana... son las 2 am

\and now is the time wen i ask myself why did i write that in spanish...
the sad part is I HAVE NO IDEA/

Plus i probably screwed it up horible...

Dude!! horrible can´t describe what you just did...though I understood your idea: No entiendo el comic de "contigency". ¡No es gracioso!

Afakaz wrote:
phlip wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:The 1993 film Jurassic Park, which is based on the 1990 Michael Crichton novel Jurassic Park, features dinosaurs that were genetically altered so they could not produce lysine. This was supposed to prevent the cloned dinosaurs from leaving the park, forcing them to depend on lysine supplements provided by the park's veterinary staff.

That doesn't even make sense, lysine is an essential amino acid so it's not synthesized by living creatures... They get it from their food, so unless they also genetically engineered all of the foliage (which I wouldn't put past them, mind), lysine supplements wouldn't be required; more so than that, it doesn't take a genetic alteration to leave a(n) (vertebrate) animal incapable of producing it. Unless the dinosaurs were weird and produced it naturally, but that makes even LESS scientific sense.

Dammit Crichton, why do you have to be so scientifically inaccurate? Robert Sawyer kicks your ass

It doesn´t matter!!! It´s just a sci-fi movie!! Eventhough we know lysine is not synthesized within a body, Hollywood can make it happen that way!!! In order to enjoy we need to see beyond reality, besides Jurassic Park is one of the greatest movies ever...I stand for Jurassik Park!!!! (no matter how inaccurate it is)
Asday wrote:
GbLiNg420 wrote:das funn but u no it mad wack tho cuz achohol aint for babies

yall no dat u can read otha shiz if u keep yo mouse ove da comic??????
[/color]

You make me want to stab my friend Catherine in the eyes.

I hate trolls.

I'm aware of the irony, I'm a terrible troll myself.

Leave the cat alone and no one will get hurt.

Mysidic

Postby Mysidic » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

What is he planning to do with the child if he's going to need a "kill switch" later?
""Thou shalt not lie": in other words, beware, my dear philosopher, of telling the truth." ~Nietzche

Entropy512

Postby Entropy512 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

I just registered to post.

Type I diabetes can't be induced by giving a person lots of sugar. Type I diabetes is caused by the immune system getting confused and attacking the beta cells (insulin-producing cells) in the pancreas. Eventually all of the beta cells are destroyed and the body cannot produce its own insulin. Type I diabetes MUST be treated with insulin, there is no other option.

Type II diabetes is a bit more complex - it can be caused by either the body's insulin production capabilities getting reduced below what is normally needed (simply due to age-related deterioration of that capability) or by the body becoming insulin resistant. There can be a variety of causes for this, and the treatment can vary. Mild cases can often be managed simply with diet and exercise. More severe cases will require oral medications that make the body more sensitive to insulin again. Extreme cases of Type II diabetes do require insulin in addition to other measures.

In some cases, the insulin resistance of Type II comes from obesity - so it is in theory possible to induce diabetes by overfeeding someone. Type II was unheard of in people under 25-30 until the past decade or so. In recent times it has been seen in younger people, in all of those cases those people are severely obese. In these cases, the diabetes will disappear if they return to a more normal weight. So in the context of this comic, the kid could develop Type II temporarily but would probably not develop a severe enough case to become insulin dependent, and could remove the condition by losing weight anyway.

Oh yeah, and artificial sweeteners can't cause diabetes... In fact they are a lifesaver for the sanity of diabetics and a good way to avoid developing obesity-related Type II.

Guff

Postby Guff » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:13 pm UTC

Guys.

It's a comic.

CiDhed

Postby CiDhed » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:36 pm UTC

Guff wrote:Guys.

It's a comic.

Exactly...

Anyways I still stand by my statement that ketracel white works better.

gobbo

Postby gobbo » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

:( And this strip is another example of why the two types of diabetes are confused all too often and probably should have different names. Still a good strip, I just wish more people understood the two types better.

molybdenumblue

Postby molybdenumblue » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:58 pm UTC

Yeah, obviously diabetes doesn't work that way, but the lysine thing never had a prayer of working either... all the really scary dinosaurs will get plenty of dietary lysine from, you know, meat.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

I asked my biotech. teacher every so often if she was experimenting genetically on their baby. She laughed and replied with a no.

So, this comic made me think of her and their first baby (who was born Wednesday! Yay baby girl that may or may not have been genetically modified! She does have the stuff to do it with...or for the most part she does).
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

mythago

Postby mythago » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

It's a comic.

Right. Which means that it can be unfunny, dumb and fall flat.
three lines of plaintext
obsolete signature form
replaced by JPEGs

CiDhed

Postby CiDhed » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

mythago wrote:

It's a comic.

Right. Which means that it can be unfunny, dumb and fall flat.

/cry

crazdgamer

Postby crazdgamer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

It's a comic.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but not only is the internet serious business, but there are people being wrong on the internet.

This must be corrected with due diligence.

Uzziel

Postby Uzziel » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

While this is a fascinating approach to parenting, I feel obligated to point out that providing an infant with a constant stream of high-glucose beverages is likely to trigger the onset of Type II diabetes, in which the diabetic develops a heightened tolerance for their body's own insulin. [1] Insulin treatment by itself is often insufficient to counteract the effects of Type II diabetes, so it is possible that this infant will not survive to an age where anything may "go wrong". Oral medications would be required as well to increase the body's sensitivity to insulin.

Were the infant to be afflicted with Type I diabetes, an insulin-only treatment may indeed allow it to reach an age where "going wrong" is indeed problematic. [2] However, the current research into islet cell transplantation may offer a cure for this individual by the onset of puberty, particularly if the child is being reared in a country with socialized medicine plans.

Love and kisses,

-Summer Glau

[1] Arlan Rosenbloom, Janet H Silverstein (2003). Type 2 Diabetes in Children and Adolescents: A Clinician's Guide to Diagnosis, Epidemiology, Pathogenesis, Prevention, and Treatment. American Diabetes Association,U.S.. pp. 1. ISBN 978-1580401555.

[2] http://autoimmune.pathology.jhmi.edu/di ... seaseID=23

poirelli

Postby poirelli » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:46 pm UTC

phlip wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:The 1993 film Jurassic Park, which is based on the 1990 Michael Crichton novel Jurassic Park, features dinosaurs that were genetically altered so they could not produce lysine. This was supposed to prevent the cloned dinosaurs from leaving the park, forcing them to depend on lysine supplements provided by the park's veterinary staff.

I'll be honest, I had to come to the forums to figure this one out ... haven't seen Jurassic Park in a very long time. Nonetheless, it's pretty funny... not the best and not the worst.

Also, I just lost...

EvilHankVenture

Postby EvilHankVenture » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

poirelli wrote:I'll be honest, I had to come to the forums to figure this one out ... haven't seen Jurassic Park in a very long time. Nonetheless, it's pretty funny... not the best and not the worst.

Also, I just lost...

I registered just to say that I hate you for that. (ok, I registered a while ago but never posted before now)

Also, good comic, I don't care if diabetes doesn't work that way, its a common misconception, so that explains why he would try it that way.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:08 pm UTC

Hm. this is probably the most fucked up XKCD I've ever seen. Also, the crib needs work.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

libertus

Postby libertus » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

But life always finds a way....

CiDhed

Postby CiDhed » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

Some people are entirely to sensitive.

Beautiful_Solace

Postby Beautiful_Solace » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

Poor child... seriously not funny i have a friend with diabetes....not cool
"Mother is God in the eyes of a child"
-Silent Hill

EvilHankVenture

Postby EvilHankVenture » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Beautiful_Solace wrote:Poor child... seriously not funny i have a friend with diabetes....not cool

I have a grandfather and an aunt with diabetes, and an uncle who died from it... and I think this comic is hilarious. (and so would they)

mythago

Postby mythago » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:44 pm UTC

CiDhed wrote:Some people are entirely to sensitive.

I don't mean to say anything disturbing here, but there are many reasons a joke can fail other than "the people I told it to are just a bunch of pansy PC types with no sense of humor."
three lines of plaintext
obsolete signature form
replaced by JPEGs

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”