0532: "Piano"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

nahtanoj999

Re: "Piano" Discussion

Postby nahtanoj999 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:46 am UTC

So far, so no one has raised the possibility that there was no genie and that this is just an elaborate pick-up line.

themuffinking

Postby themuffinking » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:49 am UTC

Would have been better if he was holding a full size grand piano.

Possibly just more bizarre.

Quantum Jack

Postby Quantum Jack » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:56 am UTC

ya, im in the group, though i have heard the joke before, assumed he asked for a small (or 4-6 inch) pianist and was therefore confused as to why she would have been so impressed. Although i had heard it, the 12-inch bit sticks out (numbers, woo) more than the pianist(penis) and genie bit. Therefore, the joke did not immediately come to mind. I agree that some reference of number or specific size should have been mentioned.

All that aside, it was a relatively funny joke and i don't think it is an excessive use of the penis jokes, being a clever reversal about a geek(building models) who had a... fortunate accident

almightyze

Postby almightyze » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:58 am UTC

Eh...this failed. He accidentally the execution.
01010011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00100000
01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01101001
01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01101001
01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110

Allah o akbar! Azadi!

Elipongo

Postby Elipongo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:24 am UTC

Dude, that joke is so old! I think my dad told it to me, and I'm 39. Props to the guy who's rabbi told it to him!

The version as I've always known it: http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/old90/304.html and the "duck" version: http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/95q3/pianist.html

NMcCoy

Postby NMcCoy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:41 am UTC

Would have been better, I think, if he'd specifically mentioned it was a 1:6 scale model. But I did quite like this comic anyway.

ellaruby

Postby ellaruby » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:42 am UTC

Agreed, certainly required forum reading/random pior knowledge to fully understand.
But still brilliant once i was in on the joke though :)

Damn you pink writing person!

poirelli

Postby poirelli » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:50 am UTC

I accidentally the punchline.

Emperor_Z

Postby Emperor_Z » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:50 am UTC

Damn! Another comic that I didn't completely get the joke until checking of the forums. I thought I had it right until the last line of the comic. Having never heard the original joke before, I had thought he wished for a "tiny pianist", rather than a 12-inch one.

Rentsy

Postby Rentsy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:52 am UTC

They are about this long

Now please, can we all move on?

Shpadoinkle

Postby Shpadoinkle » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:56 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
GbLiNg420 wrote:i aint get it but dat chick likes painos?????? dat dont make sence tho cuz i woudl of still played dat u dont need no small man to play dat

Obvious troll is obvious.

No, I beleive GbLiNg420 is genuinely that... er, simple.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:57 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
GbLiNg420 wrote:i aint get it but dat chick likes painos?????? dat dont make sence tho cuz i woudl of still played dat u dont need no small man to play dat

Obvious troll is obvious.

Successful troll was successful. Or not a troll at all. I think, in a moment of idealism, I'll cling to considering him a troll.

I liked this one, it was an unexpected inversion of a very old joke. I can see where it wouldn't be funny if you've never heard it before.

(Also: about this long)
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Ctta0s

Postby Ctta0s » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:09 am UTC

Elipongo wrote:...
Props to the guy who's rabbi told it to him!

Yea, I had an interview with him for a project and I asked him a few of his favorite jokes (he likes to crack jokes during Saturday morning services, though usually more PG). This was one of those he told me. I had the whole thing recorded, so what I cut and pasted was how he told the joke, verbatim. He also told a great Superman, Wonderwoman, and the Invisible Man...

EDIT: clarity

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:21 am UTC

I like how he's holding his model at about crotch level in the last panel.
Of course given that they are stick figures, proportion is a little iffy.
The piano does seem a little smaller than I would expect to inspire emphatic interest. I also don't think a 12" pianist would be very comfortable in someone's pocket. Of course, I ain't know much about painos except for what I've seen on the internet, and I'm not great at visuallizing porportions.
suzi wrote:Anyone else pronounce "pianist" so it doesn't sound like "penis" at all?

Like pee-an-ist instead of pee-uh-nist?

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:35 am UTC

krynd wrote:Randall, I thought we all agreed long ago: we were all moving on as a society. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of penis jokes, particularly coming from a comic that was [once] known for witty humor centering around nerdy, or otherwise abnormal, ideas. Penis jokes are the jokes of frat boys and teenagers with their mind perpetually in the gutter, not of adults who should have the capability of determining when a joke isn't funny anymore.

This wasn't a penis joke. It was a joke about penis jokes. It's meta!
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

Talus

Postby Talus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:41 am UTC

Great comic, though I didn't get it until I came here.

On another note though, doesn't anyone else think asking for a twelve-inch penis (or pianist in this case) could be somewhat hazardous? I mean, twelve inches erect is within the bounds of reason (read, pron), but what if the genie thought you meant a penis with a base length of twelve? That could start to cause issues with mobility, not to mention conventional sex. Wouldn't it be safer to ask for say, a seven inch penis? You would be safe either way then.

nahtanoj999 wrote:So far, so no one has raised the possibility that there was no genie and that this is just an elaborate pick-up line.

This is full of win.
Last edited by Talus on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

screech

Postby screech » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:43 am UTC

I was not expecting the punchline to this. Well done. :)
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:44 am UTC

*sigh* A pun without words what is the world coming to?
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

pyromuffin

Postby pyromuffin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:45 am UTC

♫They see me trollin', They hatin'♫

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:51 am UTC

SocialSceneRepairman wrote:Don't you mean a thirty-centimeter pianist...?

Thank you for putting it into metric for me.

Meh, bad joke, bad comic. And I'm usually not one to post when I think a comic is bad.

This requires knowledge of a joke, I've never heard of before. And without that joke, the entire comic is dropped on the floor. Otherwise I, like others, would think that the pianist would be a lot smaller than 12 inches to play that piano. Also, pianist/penis, now that's a mighty big hearing error, and certainly not one I heard. So I guess this is another comic only the Americans would understand, since it is somehow my impression that this is an American only joke. But I could be wrong...on the internet.

So to conclude: Meh.

eleniy86 wrote:

look, this is the proper way to write:
I DON't get it, but THAT chick likes PIANOS?????? THAT DOESN'T make SENSE, THOUGH I COULD HAVE still played THAT; YOU DON'T need A small man

you know when you read quotes or comments and you assign a voice to it? (haha Morgan Freeman :-D ) this gives me the hillbilly-uneducated-barefoot-pregnant-14-year-old-i'm-missing-a-tooth voice

brittney spears if she couldn't sing...*shivers*

Try putting that into the YouTube Audio view, or whatever it's called. :D
Last edited by ThemePark on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:53 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:
SocialSceneRepairman wrote:Don't you mean a thirty-centimeter pianist...?

Thank you for putting it into metric for me.

Meh, bad joke, bad comic. And I'm usually not one to post when I think a comic is bad.

This requires knowledge of a joke, I've never heard of before. And without that joke, the entire comic is dropped on the floor. Otherwise I, like others, would think that the pianist would be a lot smaller than 12 inches to play that piano. Also, pianist/penis, now that's a mighty big hearing error, and certainly not one I heard. So I guess this is another comic only the Americans would understand, since it is somehow my impression that this is an American only joke. But I could be wrong...on the internet.

So to conclude: Meh.

What are you talking about? Why in the world would it be american only? America isn't the only country with dirty jokes.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:53 am UTC

And here I though the girl was strangely attracted to his eccentric hobby. Then, in a convoluted way, offering to produce a "small person" to play the piano. :|
Did you get the number on that truck?

halcyon1234

Postby halcyon1234 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:55 am UTC

nahtanoj999 wrote:So far, so no one has raised the possibility that there was no genie and that this is just an elaborate pick-up line.

Or both. Judging just by a Totally Scientific* analysis of the forum, at least 1 in 10 people didn't get it. Those who did either had some odd cerebral thing going on, or were full of random knowledge, or thought it through.

So maybe stick guy employs the same tactic to find a worthy mate. He wants someone who will want him for more than just his scholg-gantic wanger-- but who does want that. Sure, he could just go around randomly telling people "I just got a foot-long whipledoodle. Wanna screw?". He'll either get:

a) slapped
b) some desperate gutter-trash who has bought into The Myth

So instead he tells the truth about his story, and lets it be a test. One of four things will happen:

1) The girl won't get the word-play at all. Thank you for coming out, have a nice day.
2) The girl will work though the word-play, assume "tiny pianist" (as many forumers did). She'll voluntarily withdraw, not wanting "that". Again, no loss for him. She just wasn't smart enough.
3) The girl will work through the word-play, get "twelve inch pianist", think he's lying or telling a joke, or won't want one that big, and will leave of her own accord. She was smart enough, but couldn't handle him.
4) As with #4, proving she was smart enough, and can accept him. Mate found.

So for everyone who was going "Oh me yarm that's lame" or "I don't get it"-- you lose out, and there's no "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single foot" for you.

*No science used
Writing for The Daily WTF
A More Permanent Join
Bessy Keeps You Safe
Passed Around

"I think Internet message boards used to be a lot funnier 10 years ago -- I've sort of stopped reading their new posts." -- Simpsons writer Matt Warburton

Vir4030

Postby Vir4030 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:57 am UTC

The guy made a tiny piano, or a small piano. He would have asked the genie for a "tiny pianist" or a "small pianist" to play it. That's just common sense. I don't understand why the woman would want to sleep with him for it.

Now, if he had made the world's biggest piano, and asked for a "huge pianist" to play it...

SEE

Postby SEE » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:58 am UTC

So, er, people are actually complaining that an xkcd comic is obscure?

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:01 am UTC

suzi wrote:Anyone else pronounce "pianist" so it doesn't sound like "penis" at all?

Yes.

cephalopod9 wrote:

Like pee-an-ist instead of pee-uh-nist?

Yes.

sje46 wrote:What are you talking about? Why in the world would it be american only? America isn't the only country with dirty jokes.

Of course not, and I didn't say it was the only country either. I honestly can't explain to you why, but for some reason this seems to be one of those jokes only really known and told in America.

halcyon1234 wrote:

Or both. Judging just by a Totally Scientific* analysis of the forum, at least 1 in 10 people didn't get it. Those who did either had some odd cerebral thing going on, or were full of random knowledge, or thought it through.

So maybe stick guy employs the same tactic to find a worthy mate. He wants someone who will want him for more than just his scholg-gantic wanger-- but who does want that. Sure, he could just go around randomly telling people "I just got a foot-long whipledoodle. Wanna screw?". He'll either get:

a) slapped
b) some desperate gutter-trash who has bought into The Myth

So instead he tells the truth about his story, and lets it be a test. One of four things will happen:

1) The girl won't get the word-play at all. Thank you for coming out, have a nice day.
2) The girl will work though the word-play, assume "tiny pianist" (as many forumers did). She'll voluntarily withdraw, not wanting "that". Again, no loss for him. She just wasn't smart enough.
3) The girl will work through the word-play, get "twelve inch pianist", think he's lying or telling a joke, or won't want one that big, and will leave of her own accord. She was smart enough, but couldn't handle him.

So for everyone who was going "Oh me yarm that's lame" or "I don't get it"-- you lose out, and there's no "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single foot" for you.

*No science used

I'm okay with that, I'm not of the fairer sex.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Tom_the_Bikeman

Postby Tom_the_Bikeman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:03 am UTC

Nice comic, although I wasn't really sure it was the old chestnut (mind you, and oldie *can* be a goodie!)

The problem is IMHO fairly simple.Many of your readers don't appreciate off-key humor...

keep up the good work,
Tom

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:04 am UTC

I didn't get it until I read the alt-text. And then I got it.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:08 am UTC

Tom_the_Bikeman wrote:Nice comic, although I wasn't really sure it was the old chestnut (mind you, and oldie *can* be a goodie!)

The problem is IMHO fairly simple.Many of your readers don't appreciate off-key humor...

keep up the good work,
Tom

I see what you did there.

SEE

Postby SEE » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:10 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:So I guess this is another comic only the Americans would understand, since it is somehow my impression that this is an American only joke. But I could be wrong...on the internet.

Given Terry Pratchett alludes to the joke in Jingo (Nobby-as-Beti explaining what jokes he's been telling to Colon), I strongly doubt it's an "American only" joke.

Rentsy

Postby Rentsy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:15 am UTC

I feel remarkably broad-minded, liking this comic, but also always hoping for more jokes about the Godel Incompleteness theorum. Seriously, that one was hilarious.

demadaha

Postby demadaha » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:17 am UTC

I liked this comic; It wasn't lol funny, but chuckle quietly to myself funny.

On another note, I don't mind Gbling so much because I am curious as to the response of the mods, so far they have responded amusingly, and last time they promised a rudely shaped turnip.
Warning: Post may contain lame, overused reference.
That's no reference! It's a space station!

Sunsnail

Postby Sunsnail » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:24 am UTC

I don't like it. The only thing that makes sense to me is him asking for a small pianist to play the piano.

DeltaBlast

Postby DeltaBlast » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:30 am UTC

I only got the joke after reading the explaination here. As I'm Dutch, I never heard that joke before. Still, after it being explained it was a great comic :D

I mean sure, the set-up could've been a lot better (as someone said, it's hard to get dimensions right with stick figures, but the guy could've mentioned the scale of the piano), but I don't see anyone else come up with such clever penis-jokes ;)

By the way, about the discussion if it's an American joke or not: let's just say it's an English culture joke. People that don't have english for a native tongue simply won't get this because most jokes are told when you're young and you're probably not speaking in a second language much yet.

Lewton

Postby Lewton » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:31 am UTC

ThemePark wrote: since it is somehow my impression that this is an American only joke. But I could be wrong...on the internet.

I'm danish and you are very wrong.. .. .. on the internet
(helps that the danish word for pianist is... . pianist.. and the danish word for penis is.. well, penis)

And if you're annoyed by the fact that this comic required prior knowledge, you should probably stop reading xkcd

LockeZ

Postby LockeZ » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:32 am UTC

Although I recognized the wordplay almost immediately, the exact wording of the joke did not occur to me until reading the forums. I imagined that he asked for a "tiny pianist." Which made the woman's question in the last panel somewhat... confusing!

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:42 am UTC

halcyon1234 wrote: One of four things will happen:

Or

5) The girl works through the word-play, gets "twelve inch pianist", thinks to herself "OK, another phallo-centric nerd who gets off on some obscure hobby. Great! I've got to spend the next three semesters in the same college as this guy.", and goes off in search of someone more interesting and less immature.

Oh, and I still laughed. Because it was funny.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:43 am UTC

Knowledge of the older joke is not necessary to get this one, you know. In fact, it would probably be funnier if you didn't know the other joke and just sat her and thought about this, and it finally comes to you, that all it is is a dirty pun.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

my_ledge_ends

Postby my_ledge_ends » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:59 am UTC

Vir4030 wrote:The guy made a tiny piano, or a small piano. He would have asked the genie for a "tiny pianist" or a "small pianist" to play it. That's just common sense. I don't understand why the woman would want to sleep with him for it.

Now, if he had made the world's biggest piano, and asked for a "huge pianist" to play it...

He asked for a pianist that could play it. Meaning that he has a lot of pianist control. Meaning that the woman would be very pleased with his pianist.

This comic makes me think lol

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:13 am UTC

I got the "12-inch pianist" bit, and was a bit disappointed that the alt text wasn't along the lines of "she's going to be disappointed when she finds out I asked for a tiny pianist instead of specifying a size." But close enough.
Rentsy wrote:They are about this long

Now can we please, as a society, move on?
Problem is how long "this long" is depends on your screen and font settings. Also fix'd wording.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”