0239: "Blagofaire"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:02 am UTC

Alt-text: "Things were better before the Structuring and the Levels."

I'm going to go ahead and say that there are actually two who do the cape thing. It's my style.

edit: also, it's an interesting historiographical point. Clearly, Renaissance man was much lamer than we give him credit for. The only question is, how much so?

edit of the edit: upon further reflection, you have to read pretty deeply into this to come up with the idea that this age is being compared with the Renaissance. it just sprung to mind.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:09 am UTC

before the world explodes:

http://xkcd.com/c239.html

But yes, considering im about 15 minutes from the PA ren faire, i find this even funnier. The concept of the current time period as a renaissance is somewhat scary to me... Because who would be the comparable masters of the time? I mean who really stacks up to da Vinci and his crew? Nobody even comes close from what I can see...but is that because I'm looking for similar qualities in a different renaissance. iinnnnnteresting.

EDIT: Oh snap. The comic is a link. Nicely done.
Last edited by saxmaniac1987 on Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:12 am UTC

the image was actually already a link.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:13 am UTC

I like this one. I know Neiztche will be called a predecessor and so will Freud and Einstein and Turing. I don't know who the leaders will be though...
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:21 am UTC

I am from the distant future and I have come back to tell you not to drink the coffee.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:25 am UTC

An interesting question to ask is, what kind of thought will our descendants value? Will they be interested in our science? Our art? Our computing? Our political philosophy? Our philosophy in general? Our literature?

Oh god... Our Internet memes?

And will they even be capable of sifting through the mounds of data we've generated, and will continue to generate?

Freud's an interesting one. He's already been disproved on several counts, but he was so influential. Eh, come to think of it, that could describe Aristotle as well. So I guess you're right, he's in.

Science and math are forever. Maybe Schrodinger, Bohr, Heisenberg, Feynman. Andrew Wiles, John Nash. I should stop. Besides, the comic relates more to the massive outgrowth of Internet-based communication than just to the ideas of the times.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:26 am UTC

Pathway wrote:Oh god... Our Internet memes?

:shock:

Why would you say such a thing? You've jinxed us all!

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:37 am UTC

The future of the internet will consist of caturday, pr0n and conservapedia.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Phy

Postby Phy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:38 am UTC

Men from the future: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US was a joke! It was only a bit of a laugh. We didn't know the Grammar Shifts of the 2170s would leave everyone actually talking like a poor Japanese translation. We didn't even know there was a CATS organization! How could we have known? HOW COULD WE?

What is happening to all your base now is a tragedy of inhuman proportions. Pray for ZIG. He know what he doing.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:49 am UTC

Aoeniac wrote:I am from the distant future and I have come back to tell you not to drink the coffee.

Future Dwight! The Office ftw!
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:56 am UTC

If this time period really is a Renaissance, then I don't think we're enjoying it nearly as much as we should. Really, the Internet can hardly get more free than this, and by the looks of it, it's on its way to being much, much less free.

Future generations will look back and say, "Oh, Ted Stevens. If only he had known. It was his 'pipe theory' that lead to the destruction of the blagotubes."

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:58 am UTC

Phy wrote:Men from the future: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US was a joke! It was only a bit of a laugh. We didn't know the Grammar Shifts of the 2170s would leave everyone actually talking like a poor Japanese translation. We didn't even know there was a CATS organization! How could we have known? HOW COULD WE?

What is happening to all your base now is a tragedy of inhuman proportions. Pray for ZIG. He know what he doing.

2170s? Don't you mean 2100s or 2090s?
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:55 am UTC

My knowledge of internet memes is pretty poor apparently.

Where the hell did he get the idea that bloggers have red capes and goggles, and what does it have to do with Cory Doctorow?

Wikipedia didn't help me there...

Rocco

Postby Rocco » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:42 am UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:before the world explodes:

http://xkcd.com/c239.html

But yes, considering im about 15 minutes from the PA ren faire, i find this even funnier. The concept of the current time period as a renaissance is somewhat scary to me... Because who would be the comparable masters of the time? I mean who really stacks up to da Vinci and his crew? Nobody even comes close from what I can see...but is that because I'm looking for similar qualities in a different renaissance. iinnnnnteresting.

EDIT: Oh snap. The comic is a link. Nicely done.

This Man:
http://www.zefrank.com

BobCat

Mrow

Postby BobCat » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:04 am UTC

Phy wrote: We didn't even know there was a CATS organization! How could we have known? HOW COULD WE?.

I coulda told ya.

Schmorgluck

Postby Schmorgluck » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:10 am UTC

Blagofaire

Heh, if it weren't for a Cory Doctorow board about DRM I saw at a festival last november, I'd had to research who he is to understand the joke.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:16 am UTC

Scroll a little further down. We already have a thread established for this one. :)

Schmorgluck

Postby Schmorgluck » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:35 am UTC

Like I said in my bloody mistake of a first post, if it weren't for a panel (about DRM) Cory Doctorow did at a festival I attended last November, I wouldn't have known who it was about.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:40 am UTC

Schmorgluck wrote:Like I said in my bloody mistake of a first post, if it weren't for a panel (about DRM) Cory Doctorow did at a festival I attended last November, I wouldn't have known who it was about.
:shock: WHAT!?
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Schmorgluck

Postby Schmorgluck » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:53 am UTC

Well yeah, I only discovered his existence last november. He's not that famous in France.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:56 am UTC

Who is he?

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:03 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:Who is he?

Quoted because Tegan wants to know too!

Schmorgluck

Postby Schmorgluck » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:04 pm UTC

A journalist, science-fiction writer and (of course) blogger. Intellectual property and DRM are among his favourite subjects, if I'm not mistaken. At least his speech was about them, and very interesting.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:06 pm UTC

Oh yeah, I have one of his books right here on the desk!

spm

Postby spm » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:50 pm UTC

I wonder if they'll be playing loud, icky, Ibiza-style techno, watching reruns of "Heroes" and playing Puzzle Pirates at the renaissance faires of the future, as opposed to singing Greensleeves and hacking at each other with synthetic swords.

The comic got the clothing style and inspirational points put down, but I think some work can be done to outline the feeling of the place better -- what is the official drink of the 2893 XKCD Renaissance fair? What do people eat (my suggestion: curry filled buritos!) and what language do they speak?

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:25 pm UTC

An interesting question to ask is, what kind of thought will our descendants value? Will they be interested in our science? Our art? Our computing? Our political philosophy? Our philosophy in general? Our literature?

Oh god... Our Internet memes?

And will they even be capable of sifting through the mounds of data we've generated, and will continue to generate?

Will they even *have* it? Most of our data recording media and truly high technology artifacts don't last that long.

I just recently read the "Revelation Space" trilogy by Alastair Reynolds, and one of the big points in the first book was that it's very easy, from the archaeological record, to mistake a high-tech society for a much, much lower tech society, simply because all the high-tech stuff decays and vanishes a lot faster than, say, pottery and stone tools do.

They/them

nuggetmonkey

Postby nuggetmonkey » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:56 pm UTC

Arturion

Postby Arturion » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:25 pm UTC

I just hope that the Time Cube guy doesn't end up to be one of the "masters".

*shudders*

Ronfar

Postby Ronfar » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:08 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I just recently read the "Revelation Space" trilogy by Alastair Reynolds, and one of the big points in the first book was that it's very easy, from the archaeological record, to mistake a high-tech society for a much, much lower tech society, simply because all the high-tech stuff decays and vanishes a lot faster than, say, pottery and stone tools do.

I thought our plastic and other trash was going to last forever in landfills and such.
- Doug

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

As I understand it, it just lasts long enough to be a pain in the ass. Not much on an archaeological time scale, though. Compared to, say, rocks.

They/them

Phy

Postby Phy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:56 pm UTC

warriorness wrote:2170s? Don't you mean 2100s or 2090s?

I pulled the date out of my ass. But it could be a Nostradamus thing, we were right about everything but the date. 2101 passed in halcyon glory. Not till 2187 would the first rumors of CATS be known...

MHZmaster

Postby MHZmaster » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

Congratz! The comic made it on Boing Boing (to which Cory Doctrow is a regular contributor).

Linky

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:Who is he?

http://dir.salon.com/story/tech/feature ... index.html

Only thing of his I've read. It's good.

Phy

Postby Phy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:08 pm UTC

Where did I see that linked recently? Was it Bad Astronomy? It was good.

mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:24 pm UTC

I like how nobody has said anything on the supposition that we will have invented casual time travel in the future. Everyone seems far more focused on what the future will consist of and how they will view the past.
"I will not succumb to temptation. Unless she's cute."

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:55 pm UTC

warriorness wrote:
Phy wrote:Men from the future: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US was a joke! It was only a bit of a laugh. We didn't know the Grammar Shifts of the 2170s would leave everyone actually talking like a poor Japanese translation. We didn't even know there was a CATS organization! How could we have known? HOW COULD WE?

2170s? Don't you mean 2100s or 2090s?

Must be, because war was beginning in 2101 AD.

Also, it's "what happen to all your base now is [...]". ;)

kurt872

Postby kurt872 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:05 am UTC

Pathway wrote:Science and math are forever. Maybe Schrodinger, Bohr, Heisenberg, Feynman. Andrew Wiles, John Nash. I should stop. Besides, the comic relates more to the massive outgrowth of Internet-based communication than just to the ideas of the times.

A millennium from now, the 20th century scientists most likely to be remembered are: Albert Einstein, Kurt Godel, Mr. Spock and Alan Turing.

(Just kidding about one of those... I think.)

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:10 am UTC

kurt872 wrote:A millennium from now, the 20th century scientists most likely to be remembered are: Albert Einstein, Kurt Godel, Mr. Spock and Alan Turing.

(Just kidding about one of those... I think.)

Yeah, no one's going to care about Godel in the far future.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:33 pm UTC

mikekearn wrote:I like how nobody has said anything on the supposition that we will have invented casual time travel in the future. Everyone seems far more focused on what the future will consist of and how they will view the past.

It's really just a plot device to get around the difficulties of having a person from the future talk to a genuine blogger. It has no other purpose.

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:58 pm UTC

mikekearn wrote:I like how nobody has said anything on the supposition that we will have invented casual time travel in the future. Everyone seems far more focused on what the future will consist of and how they will view the past.

Fun game to play: Say to yourself (or out loud) "If I am able to time travel in the future, I will visit myself now"
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”