0239: "Blagofaire"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Steve

Postby Steve » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:52 am UTC

Fun game to play: Say to yourself (or out loud) "If I am able to time travel in the future, I will visit myself now"

If it became possible to timetravel I would much rather travel back and scare myself while sleeping or something. Also that line just made me reopen the plethora of time travel paradoxs (how do you make paradox plural?) in my mind.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:38 am UTC

Steve wrote:(how do you make paradox plural?)

Paradoxes. Or, if you're feeling ironically Germanic, paradoxen.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

Phy

Postby Phy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:32 am UTC

Couldn't it be paradoces?

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:56 am UTC

I can't think of any -ox words pluralized to -ces. The online version of the OED doesn't seem to list plural forms with its entries, nor does the American Heritage. Do you have any examples I'm not aware of?
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.

~ George Orwell

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:06 am UTC

That would only be if it were originally "paradix" (see also: matrix).

If I could time travel, I would never try surprising myself, especially while myself is asleep. Future Me might get killed, and that would be bad.
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:42 am UTC

Haha, man, this comic TOTALLY describes me.

//Reads comic

Waitaminute...

screech

Postby screech » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:18 am UTC

Well, this is now my new favorite comic, mainly because I could really see it happening.

*wonders what and if he'll be remembered for in the future*
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:29 pm UTC

Steve wrote:(how do you make paradox plural?).

To follow the general English rule, words ending in x get pluralized by adding es and pronouncing the e. (This is because the last sound in such words is s, and so pluralizing without writing and pronouncing the e would be difficult to recognize. Same goes for when the last sound is z, sh, or zh.

Exceptions exist, of course, in some borrowed words. But even "matrix" and "index" and the like only tend to retain their original plural forms in the fields where they are most commonly used.

The general trend in any language is for the most common words to retain irregularities (in spelling, grammar, and pronunciation) while the less common ones end up following the usual rules for the rest of the language. (There's a reason that "be" is irregular in every natural language.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:06 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:The general trend in any language is for the most common words to retain irregularities (in spelling, grammar, and pronunciation) while the less common ones end up following the usual rules for the rest of the language. (There's a reason that "be" is irregular in every natural language.)

Why is that?

Same with "to go", as far as I know. (Note: only tested in two languages)
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:26 am UTC

warriorness wrote:Why is that?

Same with "to go", as far as I know. (Note: only tested in two languages)

Because "be" is probably the most commonly used verb, and thus the most resistent to change. "Go" is right up there as well, but it's often not "as irregular". In English, while they're not the usual +s and +ed rules, we still have two present forms (go and goes) and one past (went). Be, on the other hand, is the only one with three present (am is are) and two past (was were).

Also, I only listed "be" because I read somewhere that Turkish only has one irregular verb, and it's that one instead of "go".
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:30 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:(There's a reason that "be" is irregular in every natural language.)

It seems pretty regular in Thai (from the little I've picked up), but that's because they hardly ever use it... you just say "I handsome". Then they laugh at you because it's an immodest thing to say and you probably pronounced it wrong anyway.

Schmorgluck

Postby Schmorgluck » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:11 am UTC

warriorness wrote:Same with "to go", as far as I know. (Note: only tested in two languages)

Well, it's pretty irregular in French : three different radicals, "all-", "ir-" and "v-", depending of person and tense. I should look for their origins, I only know of one of them, "ir-", coming from Latin.
It's also irregular in Breton, if I'm not mistaken.
However, it's remarkably regular in German. Then again, nearly everything is regular in German, it's almost creepy.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:38 pm UTC

Schmorgluck wrote:Then again, nearly everything is regular in German, it's almost creepy.

Nah, there's nothing really creepy about artificially standardized languages.
---

(he/him/his)

AdamZ

Postby AdamZ » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:45 pm UTC

Can't believe nobody's posted this yet. Cory won the EFF's pioneer award, and at the ceremony a few days ago, they gave him...

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:04 am UTC

Ox-->oxen
Paradox-->Paradoxen

Either that or it should be an irregular noun, where the plural is completely different from the singular.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:15 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:Ox-->oxen
Paradox-->Paradoxen

Either that or it should be an irregular noun, where the plural is completely different from the singular.

box-->boxes
fox-->foxes
paradox-->paradoxes
---

(he/him/his)

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:20 pm UTC

AdamZ, it was posted in the News/Blag that Randy is doing.

mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:21 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Ox-->oxen
Paradox-->Paradoxen

box-->boxes
fox-->foxes
paradox-->paradoxes

Screw that, paradoxen sounds and looks so much cooler. I'm using that from now on.
"I will not succumb to temptation. Unless she's cute."

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.

Ronfar

Postby Ronfar » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:45 pm UTC

I suspect that a lot of the famous homes of discussion of the past have also been highly romanticized and exaggerated. They, too, may have been something like this.
- Doug

LE4dGOLEM

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:48 pm UTC

Ronfar wrote:I suspect that a lot of the famous homes of discussion of the past have also been highly romanticized and exaggerated. They, too, may have been something like this.

The guy that does that comic wrote:The Roman Forum was the administrative, commercial, and religious centre of ancient Rome. As the centre of the greatest empire of the day, it was a stronghold of collected wisdom, intelligent discussion, and skilled rhetoric by the greatest masters of language and thought.

An Internet forum has none of these features.

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:01 am UTC

OmenPigeon wrote:
Steve wrote:(how do you make paradox plural?)

Paradoxes. Or, if you're feeling ironically Germanic, paradoxen.

I thought paradoxen were a couple of dogs?

</really bad pun>
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:07 am UTC

Akira wrote:I thought paradoxen were a couple of dogs?

Only for those foolish enough to bet on a race between Zeno's pair o' ducks.

~ George Orwell

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:14 pm UTC

Oky, just as long as I'm not crazy.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

Ronfar

Postby Ronfar » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:03 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:
Ronfar wrote:I suspect that a lot of the famous homes of discussion of the past have also been highly romanticized and exaggerated. They, too, may have been something like this.

The guy that does that comic wrote:The Roman Forum was the administrative, commercial, and religious centre of ancient Rome. As the centre of the greatest empire of the day, it was a stronghold of collected wisdom, intelligent discussion, and skilled rhetoric by the greatest masters of language and thought.

I suspect that it had its share of complete idiots as well. Everywhere you go, you will find idiots, and the past is no exception.
- Doug

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:01 am UTC

Ronfar wrote:I suspect that it had its share of complete idiots as well. Everywhere you go, you will find idiots, and the past is no exception.

Every once in a while in high school Latin we'd read some graffiti they got off the walls at Pompeii or someplace. It was almost exactly the same as modern graffiti. It ranged from "Tertius wuz here" to "Titus is a dick, don't vote for him" to "Gnaeus is dreeaamy, I wish he wasn't a gladiator cuz my dad won't let me date slaves." They misspelled stuff and used the wrong cases and everything.

~ George Orwell

LE4dGOLEM

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:42 am UTC

OmenPigeon wrote:
Ronfar wrote:I suspect that it had its share of complete idiots as well. Everywhere you go, you will find idiots, and the past is no exception.

Every once in a while in high school Latin we'd read some graffiti they got off the walls at Pompeii or someplace. It was almost exactly the same as modern graffiti. It ranged from "Tertius wuz here" to "Titus is a dick, don't vote for him" to "Gnaeus is dreeaamy, I wish he wasn't a gladiator cuz my dad won't let me date slaves." They misspelled stuff and used the wrong cases and everything.

Steal a textbook, take it to a scanner, scan it in, post it here.... or it didn't happen. That's just too awesome to be real.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:30 pm UTC

I don't have access to my high school texts anymore, they're about a state and a half away. I'm not even sure what the book was called*. It might not have been from the book anyway, my Latin teachers were pretty awesome.

From the wikipedia article on graffiti: "an illustration of a phallus was accompanied by the text, mansueta tene: 'Handle with care'". Also, "the gladiatorial academy at CIL IV, 4397 contained graffiti left by the gladiator Celadus Crescens (Suspirium puellarum Celadus thraex: 'Celadus the Thracian makes the girls sigh.')"

(*If anyone else remembers their introductory Latin really well, the first story began with "puella in pictura est", and then there were a bunch of stories about this family, and their cart fell in a ditch on the way to Rome. It was a pretty popular book, someone else must have used it.)

~ George Orwell

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:39 am UTC

Did it have Caicilius? In Pompeii there is always a steady stream of english people going to the house, and baffled continental types. :D

LE4dGOLEM

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:00 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Did it have Caicilius? In Pompeii there is always a steady stream of english people going to the house, and baffled continental types. :D

Caecillius the banker?

toysbfun

Postby toysbfun » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

What happened in the future that would lead to proto-Internet fairs? Has technology advanced to the point where web browsers are like the Holodeck? Or did we lose Net Neutrality and everyone went to the park to remember the good old days?

lysandra

Re: "Blagofaire" Discussion

Postby lysandra » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:34 am UTC

I just picked up http://blagofaire.com I didn't think it would be available. Well, it's mine now! Muahahahaha!

/me hops on an airship and putters away

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”