0240: "Dream Girl"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

vmanivan

0240: "Dream Girl"

Postby vmanivan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:13 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/c240.html

I mapped the coordinates; it looks like a farm in New York. Any ideas?
Edit: The new, corrected coordinates are of a basketball court in North Cambridge, MA.
Last edited by vmanivan on Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:01 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

hack

Postby hack » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:20 am UTC

Yeah... I found the same place... not sure what it means, if anything.

My girlfriend has dreams so vivid that she's written songs in them that she was then able to play once she woke up. (She's also come up with recipes in her sleep.) I'm lucky if I remember one dream a month.

makenai

Postby makenai » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:20 am UTC

Here's a googlemaps version of the coordinates with satellite photo:

http://tinyurl.com/2h5ryg

Looks to be in the middle of a field. As good of a place for destiny as any I suppose!

Aero

Postby Aero » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:22 am UTC

It's interesting how the date is set in the future. You have to wonder...
~ Aero

demeteloaf

Postby demeteloaf » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:22 am UTC

Apparently the first comic went up with a typo.

looks like the new coordinates are a basketball court/playground in Cambridge, MA

pwill

Postby pwill » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:27 am UTC

lol wut

kertrats

Postby kertrats » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:31 am UTC

That new location is just off Norris Street. I see a roundhouse kick in the future.

adlaiff6

Postby adlaiff6 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:32 am UTC

Road trip!

Phy

Postby Phy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:34 am UTC

Reminds me of when they released all those payphone coordinates in I Love Bees.

xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby xkcd » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:39 am UTC

I made a transcription error, a 1 changed to a 9, when lettering from the original. I fixed it moments after it went up. I'm sorry!

toxic

Postby toxic » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:40 am UTC

It's the Reverend Thomas J. Williams park in Cambridge.

Mostly a kiddie play area, with some artistic stonework at the corners of the fence.

http://www.ci.cambridge.ma.us/CAC/public_art_tour/map_02_01.html

xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby xkcd » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:50 am UTC

dotwaffle: what you saw was where, in my rush to fix things, I dropped in the wrong version for the moment.

It's one of those nights.

Kizor

Postby Kizor » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:51 am UTC

Aw, man. I, having no idea about correcting coordinates, sought out the spot by hand in Google Earth and found a random house in a small county some miles north of Boston. I was halfway through my plan to send the inhabitants a postcard when I came here.

What do you think: If I could find out the postal number, would the US postal service deliver an overseas envelope with "such-and-such street, third house on the left when coming from the south" for an address?

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:52 am UTC

The fact that xkcd had to correct himself means that the coordinates actually mean something.

I wonder what it is.
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

Staples Guy
In Training

Postby Staples Guy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:55 am UTC

hey....

I live down the street from there.

Anyone else wanna show up on that date? I'll have tea and pie.
XKCD has done nothing but heighten my fear of raptors.

Sinisterff

Postby Sinisterff » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:55 am UTC

The people that can should do a flash mob in this date and place, just for fun and for XKCD :P

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:03 am UTC

Hm. I will mark this date on my computer and if I'm available for travel as it approaches I'll consider making a trip.

EDIT: Anyone that wants to do this should be wearing an XKCD shirt. That is, I will use this as a reason to get off my ass and buy an XKCD shirt, even if I don't wind up going...
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:05 am UTC

This comic is a little depressing right now. Bordering on pessimist, but I know it is just a man stating a fact of reality. Just because you want something, no matter how hard, doesn't mean it will come true.

Life is truly a bitch of a mistress.

EDIT: I thought the dream girl may have been saying something interesting, but when i blew it up its all pixelated. Can anyone do better?
Last edited by TheTankengine on Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:08 am UTC

the coordinates are all well and good but i dont know that they were the POINT of the comic.

:(

i had a very strange waking dream once, i swear i was awake, but only just slightly. i saw someone that looked like DREAM from the sandman series standing over me, watching me sleep, or watching me wake up at this point, except his features were all blurred and hazy... no clear face, just an outline and barely distiguishable colors (if grey black and white are really colors). I asked who he was, and the blurr on the face moved so i knew he smiled and said "come find me."

it was very very weird because the next second i was wide awake and remember everything, even the tone of his voice it was so real.

for the longest time i kept thinking "one day i will find this guy and i'll know its him and i'll say 'i dreamt you' and he'll say 'i know' and that will just be how it is". I never did. I wanted it to be real for so long, and it never was.... but i found something much better ^_^ <3

kmartin

Postby kmartin » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:14 am UTC

The time and date correspond to mean solar noon on the autumnal equinox at that particular location.

robzy

Postby robzy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:16 am UTC

Really nice comic xkcd, quite meaningful, i feel like i can relate to it.

Rob.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:20 am UTC

TheTankengine wrote:EDIT: I thought the dream girl may have been saying something interesting, but when i blew it up its all pixelated. Can anyone do better?

I assume it's the numbers in the following panel.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:21 am UTC

But... but that's...

Oh wait, northern hemisphere, right. Bleh to all you people. Also, I'm with parkaboy, I didn't really see the co-ords as the whole point. And also, it was a lovely comic, but it made me sad! And I even gave you a hat, Randall. I gave you a hat.

(Though I guess it also did make me think about things... Like this dream I used to have when I met a boy in a garden. And like parkaboy, I thought that was who it was going to be, but garden boy has been quite forgotten now. Also I do not know at all what I was thinking. Garden boy was blonde, and I do not like blonde boys.)

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:32 am UTC

Of course the coordinates are the point of the comic.

That's when the revolution starts.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:35 am UTC

Aww. Don't I know only too well that wanting something doesn't make it real. http://xkcd.com/c46.html I want. I not get. :(
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

rurouniyuudai85

Postby rurouniyuudai85 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:36 am UTC

i once had a dream in which my brother told me the date the world would end, which was coincidentally a week and a half in the future from the night i had the dream. the dream itself was very creepy, and the date he gave even included the day of the week (which lined up with the date...i forget what it was, sometime in january i think) and when the day finally came nothing ever happened. not that i want the world to end, but i was disappointed. its the only time i've ever had a dream so vivid, with such specific information in it.

OneLess

Postby OneLess » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:38 am UTC

aldimond wrote:Of course the coordinates are the point of the comic.

That's when the revolution starts.
It won't be televised, so we all need to know the date and time :)

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:45 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:the coordinates are all well and good but i dont know that they were the POINT of the comic.

The reality of the final panel is too depressing to face, so we focus on what we know: numbers.

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:54 am UTC

I've done this quite a few times. I still remember one dream where I was abducted by Ursula (I think that's the name... Octopus from Little Mermaid)... she had a UFO travelling along down our street, and she wanted to collect golf balls. I can't tell you how long I waited for that UFO to come around.

Then there have been quite a few dreams with "certain" people that I'd like to live out in real life. There was never anything crazy going on in the dreams, it was mainly just hanging out and talking or being close and whatnot. But it was always nice, and I had always wanted to live them out.
Not a single one of these dreams has come true yet. I'm still waiting on one, to be honest.

Twilight

Postby Twilight » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:55 am UTC

Beautiful strip...creepy, but beautiful.

Heh. A revolution in Cambridge on the 23rd, eh? Well, I'll certainly be there...

Charodei

Postby Charodei » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:27 am UTC

It's on my calendar as well. Who else is coming?

Wow... ten people so far made their first post here.
Last edited by Charodei on Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:28 am UTC

I'm not. But I expect some photographs, or something.

TwilightWonder

Postby TwilightWonder » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:33 am UTC

Make that 11 people's first posts.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 7&t=h&om=1

That's slightly more zoomed in, if anyone cares.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:34 am UTC

Our introductions thread should be booming, then. *glances suggestively up at General*

It is quite amazing how many new people this has brought in though. What is up with that?

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:38 am UTC

Everybody wants to be part of the revolution, Tegan.

Don't you want to be part of the revolution, Tegan?

If you don't get behind the push of the revolution, Tegan, you will be crushed underneath the onrushing wave of the revolution, Tegan (when it finally makes its way to Sydney, Tegan).

Won't you join our revolution, Tegan?

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:41 am UTC

I will join the revolution when it comes near my house, Al. I'll even bake. Howzat?

*breaks out the Sherbet*

TwilightWonder

Postby TwilightWonder » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:44 am UTC

I joined because I wanted to see if I was the first person to look up the coordinates... obviously I wasn't.

I'd be part of the revolution, but I'd probably be too busy studying for my class.

jaiwithani

SPOILER

Postby jaiwithani » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:57 am UTC

------If you want figure out the significance yourself, stop reading this post-----

The equinox is September 23, 2007. Since it's the equinox, there's a perfect 12-hour day, 12-hour night. On September 23rd, the sun rises at 6:32 and sets at 18:41.

So at 2:38, on September 23rd, 2007, in Cambridge, the sun will be as perfectly centered in the sky as it ever can be.

(Figured out by a genius friend who is not me).

Tom

Postby Tom » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:06 am UTC

The coordinates (Google map link, zoom level 21) point to the Jungle Gym/Climbing Structure Device in Reverend Thomas J. Williams Park, aka Cedar Street Park in Cambridge, MA.

Judging from this expert's opinion (video of interview on the jungle gym), it's the best park in the area.

iabervon

Postby iabervon » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:51 am UTC

The real moral of the story is that, if your dreams don't work out, at least there's a good sushi bar around the corner.

But there's something weird about the date in the comic being after the date of the comic. Maybe the date was also an error, and was supposed to be the vernal equinox?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”