0542: "Cover-Up"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

chuckstudios

0542: "Cover-Up"

Postby chuckstudios » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:00 am UTC

Title text: Man, this trick has saved me so many times.

Link: http://xkcd.com/542/

I'd look up. And why the hell is he in that man's house?

Edit: Well that was a facepalm moment. Forgot to put the title of the comic in the title, then quickly forgot about the edit button.
Last edited by chuckstudios on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:43 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: "Cover-Up" Discussion

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:03 am UTC

It would totally work too...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

kriel

Postby kriel » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:03 am UTC

Heh; beat me to it.

I wish I could learn to master tricks like this. Though; they'd never work on me.

-looks up- "Wait, What'd you sa-- OH MY GOD"

PS: I was the one who forgot the title of the comic in the title of the topic.
Last edited by kriel on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zaraden

Postby Zaraden » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:04 am UTC

Does this remind anyone of Pulp Fiction? Maybe I just haven't seen enough movies where blood needs to be cleaned off of stuff.
Let epsilon be less than zero...

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:04 am UTC

kriel wrote:Heh; beat me to it.

I wish I could learn to master tricks like this. Though; they'd never work on me.

-looks up- "Wait, What'd you sa-- OH MY GOD"

Haha, everyone I've done something like this to tries their hardest not to look up, though I probably would.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Doctor Kumquat

Re: "" Discussion

Postby Doctor Kumquat » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:05 am UTC

... Bwahahahahaha. My friends back in high school would pull stuff like this every freakin' day.. got so annoying...

<3 Black Hat.

nahtanoj999

Postby nahtanoj999 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:05 am UTC

Hey! That doesn't say gullible at all! That's just an irregularly shaped blood spatter. I guess you got me good.

Iluvatar

Postby Iluvatar » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:06 am UTC

In the lab where I hang out a lot, this one guy actually wrote "Gullible" on the ceiling a few years back. It's great fun trying to convince people, usually freshmen, to look up, since they're usually so sure you're trying to trick them.
"Don't you see?!"

"Get out of my bed, Randall, I'm trying to sleep!"

Your results may vary.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:06 am UTC

well, now I know what I'll be doing all day tomorrow. Thanks Randal...

explodingviolin

Postby explodingviolin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:08 am UTC

Master Gunner wrote:well, now I know what I'll be doing all day tomorrow. Thanks Randal...

I presume you'll be cleaning blood off the ceiling too?
=D
Hydrostatic equilibrium makes the world go round.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:09 am UTC

Let's hope they weren't baby sitting.

WontonSoup

Postby WontonSoup » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:13 am UTC

Zaraden wrote:Does this remind anyone of Pulp Fiction? Maybe I just haven't seen enough movies where blood needs to be cleaned off of stuff.

Kinda, yeah. I know what you mean.
Oh and I loved the comic. The fact that the presence of blood went completely unexplained made it even funnier.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:15 am UTC

Zaraden wrote:Does this remind anyone of Pulp Fiction? Maybe I just haven't seen enough movies where blood needs to be cleaned off of stuff.

Much more similar to Ishi the Killer.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

mach-zoore

Postby mach-zoore » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:17 am UTC

Gotta love the Black Hay Guy.
(And agreed, gotta love the unexplained blood)

(In the time it took me to register, 13 people managed to post. Blasted slow internet!)

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:20 am UTC

I wouldnt look up immediatly, Id wait till he wasnt looking
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

CrayolaTwo

Postby CrayolaTwo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:22 am UTC

Me and my friend got this one girl with this joke in junior year of high school.

Except, she really didn't get that it was a joke, and just kept looking at the ceiling, trying to find where it was written. So my friend goes: "Yeah, and did you know that Jesus is Satan spelled backwards?"

Girl: REALLY?!

I was too busy laughing and trying not to cry over the state of our education system to contribute anything useful.

prokrastinatorSF

Postby prokrastinatorSF » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:27 am UTC

The problem with this trick is that if the target were anything like me, they'd spend the rest of the evening trying to subtly look up at the ceiling without black hat guy noticing, just out of the nagging doubt that maybe, MAYBE, somebody actually HAD written "gullible" on the ceiling.

Edit: Actually, it would work in a way, because when I'd look at the ceiling and see the blood, I wouldn't be able to say anything about it because then i'd have to admit that I had looked at the ceiling and that I was in fact that gullible. So it would never be spoken of.
Last edited by prokrastinatorSF on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mesa

Postby Mesa » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:29 am UTC

I never though I'd be one of the people saying "Whoa, Randall read my mind!" but he definitely did just there.

I've often thought that the best practical joke would be to actually write gullible on the ceiling, and then act really hurt when no-one believed you 8)

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:31 am UTC

But... HOW did Randall know my secret made-up word??!?! It's not in the dictionary, is it?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

chuckstudios

Postby chuckstudios » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:33 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:But... HOW did Randall know my secret made-up word??!?! It's not in the dictionary, is it?

I advise using it as your password. Completely invulnerable to dictionary attacks.

TheMagicalTurtle

Postby TheMagicalTurtle » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:33 am UTC

The link in your post gives the wrong comic. It links to TED Talk.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:37 am UTC

Oh, damn, I accidentally my bottle of Luminol!
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:38 am UTC

Mesa wrote:I never though I'd be one of the people saying "Whoa, Randall read my mind!" but he definitely did just there.

I've often thought that the best practical joke would be to actually write gullible on the ceiling, and then act really hurt when no-one believed you 8)

You've never tried it?

It was good. :D
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:38 am UTC

TheMagicalTurtle wrote:The link in your post gives the wrong comic. It links to TED Talk.

All in favor of banning chuckstudios for making multiple screwups in the Most Holy Comic Discussion Thread?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:40 am UTC

mach-zoore wrote:Gotta love the Black Hay Guy.
(And agreed, gotta love the unexplained blood)

the blood was probably from http://xkcd.com/515/
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Not funny, Randall.

Every year thousands of people are murdered. Some of them children. Some of them puppies. Do you approve of killing puppies and children Randall? Well, if you don't, then why do you have your characters take their innocent hopscotch-hopping, ice-cream-licking lives? I mean, what kind of role model is that? I am so disgusted, you bastard. This is worse than that cunnilngus poster. I'm no longer going to pin this up on my church bulletin board. May God have mercy on your soul-depraved, child-murdering soul.

Not cool. Not funny. Not a good comic.

IFLP.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

chuckstudios

Postby chuckstudios » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:43 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
TheMagicalTurtle wrote:The link in your post gives the wrong comic. It links to TED Talk.

All in favor of banning chuckstudios for making multiple screwups in the Most Holy Comic Discussion Thread?

*raises hand*
I'm ashamed.

It was because I tried to template the stuff ahead of time, then rushed when the comic went up. Never again.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:51 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Not funny, Randall.

Every year thousands of people are murdered. Some of them children. Some of them puppies. Do you approve of killing puppies and children Randall? Well, if you don't, then why do you have your characters take their innocent hopscotch-hopping, ice-cream-licking lives? I mean, what kind of role model is that? I am so disgusted, you bastard. This is worse than that cunnilngus poster. I'm no longer going to pin this up on my church bulletin board. May God have mercy on your soul-depraved, child-murdering soul.

IFLP.

How can a soul be soul-depraved?

pgn674

Postby pgn674 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:07 am UTC

So, who here looked up at their own ceiling after reading this comic? I did, before I even managed to read the alt text. And now who here is reading this post, resisting the urge to look up at their ceiling; a ceiling that they've never really paid much attention to and that, for all they know, could in fact have a spot of blood or even the word gullible on it?

Delass

Postby Delass » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:11 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Not funny, Randall.

IFLP.

Not funny, sje46.
Every year billions of people make rant posts. Some of them are a little dumb. Some don't have any thought at all. Do you approve of mindless rant posts, sje46? Well, if you don't, then why do you post 3 times a week like this? I mean, what kind of a role model are you? I am so disgusted. Did you even think about it? Blood =/= murder. It could be pig bloods, providing hams to the poor for christmas. Or a blood drive for childrens hospital, and a bag or two could have popped. Or fake blood, even.

Not cool. Not funny. Not a good post.

This post almost makes me want to die in a fire.

For the record, I keed, I found these posts a little funny when they first started.

dumbledore

Postby dumbledore » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:12 am UTC

i IoI'd

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:18 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:How can a soul be soul-depraved?

I was in too much of a rage to make sense.

I still am.

That bastard . . . .

Well, if you don't, then why do you post 3 times a week like this?

I didn't post one on Friday. 'Twasn't offensive. So please don't exaggerate, and look at the issues at hand.

However, I do realize that maybe my disgust was just a little--only a little--uncalled for. To make it up, I created this for you. Not that funny, but perhaps I can redeem myself in the eyes of this community.
Attachments
pulpxkcd.JPG
pulpxkcd.JPG (36.74 KiB) Viewed 21519 times
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Arc

Postby Arc » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:20 am UTC

I remember seeing gullible written on the ceiling of my HS band locker room. I guess that means that no one was murdered by stick figures in that room?

Sometime soon I will probably catch myself checking for blood on a ceiling because of this comic, and I will be sad.
sje46 wrote:Every year thousands of people are murdered.... Some of them puppies.
Quadrupeds are people too.

prokrastinatorSF

Postby prokrastinatorSF » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:22 am UTC

Delass wrote: sje46 wrote:Not funny, Randall.

IFLP.

Not funny, sje46.
Every year billions of people make rant posts. Some of them are a little dumb. Some don't have any thought at all. Do you approve of mindless rant posts, sje46? Well, if you don't, then why do you post 3 times a week like this? I mean, what kind of a role model are you? I am so disgusted. Did you even think about it? Blood =/= murder. It could be pig bloods, providing hams to the poor for christmas. Or a blood drive for childrens hospital, and a bag or two could have popped. Or fake blood, even.

For the record, I keed, I found these posts a little funny when they first started.

Not funny, Delass.

(and here, i am stuck between "every year, billions of people use sarcasm" and "every year, thousands of people die in fires," and will agonize over this decision until this post is no longer relevant, breaking the vicious cycle.)

Mr. Lostman

Postby Mr. Lostman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:39 am UTC

sje46, why do you keep reading a comic that has these sorts of things? I'm curious.
Also, I'm sure Randall won't read your post so he won't be "moved" by it.
ImageImage
^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:43 am UTC

Only works on people who think their too smart to fall for such a trick. Like most people reading this comic!

Delass

Postby Delass » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:46 am UTC

prokrastinatorSF wrote:
Delass wrote: sje46 wrote:Not funny, Randall.

IFLP.

Not funny, sje46.

Not funny, Delass.

(and here, i am stuck between "every year, billions of people use sarcasm" and "every year, thousands of people die in fires," and will agonize over this decision until this post is no longer relevant, breaking the vicious cycle.)

You know, I was considering replying with a post about how someone died procrastinating, but that would just be getting ridiculous.

josiahstevenson

Postby josiahstevenson » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:55 am UTC

A while back I went to the house of a friend who had actually cut the entry for "gullible" out of his dictionary.

/He had a wonderful time making me look it up

Geogriffith

Postby Geogriffith » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:03 am UTC

pgn674 wrote:So, who here looked up at their own ceiling after reading this comic? I did, before I even managed to read the alt text. And now who here is reading this post, resisting the urge to look up at their ceiling; a ceiling that they've never really paid much attention to and that, for all they know, could in fact have a spot of blood or even the word gullible on it?

There actually is a blood smear on my bathroom ceiling- it's from a mosquito I smooshed 6 months ago. It made a nice 6 inch long Nike swoosh. I don't know whose blood it is.

phantom16

Postby phantom16 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:04 am UTC

HAHA. There used to be a sticker on the ceiling of my band classroom in high school that said "gullible" on it. So sometimes people would say gullible is on the ceiling, and they wouldn't be lieing...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”