0169: "Words that End in GRY"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

YTPrenewed

Re: "Words that End in 'GRY'" Discussion

Postby YTPrenewed » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:57 pm UTC

Postmodernists nothing, the fifth panel is a reminder that needs to be seen across the Internet...

... and probably in quite a few offline contexts as well. o.o

rmsgrey

Re: 0169: "Words that End in GRY"

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

I like the answer "nugry" - a neologism meaning "someone who is so unfamiliar with common riddles that they still get the wording of the '-gry' riddle wrong"

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:27 pm UTC

I hadn't heard of the Gry puzzle until now, and interpreted the comic as 'There are three words in "The English Language". That end in "Gry", "Angry" and "Hungry" are two [words]. What's the third [word in "The English Language"]?', with the second sentence being a red herring.
(It would be difficult for man-with-hat to determine how the sentence was punctuated when being spoken to)
Surprisingly nobody has yet mentioned this interpretation.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:36 am UTC

INt€rN€t WaNd€r€R wrote:I hadn't heard of the Gry puzzle until now, and interpreted the comic as 'There are three words in "The English Language". That end in "Gry", "Angry" and "Hungry" are two [words]. What's the third [word in "The English Language"]?', with the second sentence being a red herring.
(It would be difficult for man-with-hat to determine how the sentence was punctuated when being spoken to)
Surprisingly nobody has yet mentioned this interpretation.

He is known as Black Hat Guy, or BHG, for short. And he's a classhole.

Doctor Kya

Postby Doctor Kya » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:07 pm UTC

Funnily enough, there is now an answer to this "riddle". Since the original douchebaggery began, the word "hangry" has been coined. Now there really are three words in current usage in "the English language" that end in -gry.

The fifth panel is my life. I might get it tattooed over my heart.

(Also, Anderson Tao, the creator of the Mr. E. game, is oddly reminiscent of BHG and is the reason I sought out this comic tonight so that I could remind myself of Randall's exact wording when I told him why his app isn't a puzzle game so much as an exercise in his own feelings of superiority.)

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:57 pm UTC

Interesting. Would that be a Malamanteau, or simply either a neologism, malapropism or portmanteau?

chenille

Postby chenille » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:43 am UTC

It's a brand new portmanteau of the other two answers. I think it still counts as obscure, and until the unfortunate day when it's not, someone who expects it as the answer might still get grabbed and sliced.

addams

Re:

Postby addams » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:57 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
animatorgeek wrote:Um... I don't get it. Can someone explain it to me?

Basically the person asks the person what the 3rd word is. When the person fumbles and tries to find what the third word ending in -gry is the person who said the question tells them it's "language".

To get it just ignore the sentence "'Angry' and 'Hungry' are two of them."

There are 3 words in "the English language". What is the third?

Now with the quotes it's obvious, but you don't hear the quotes when someone tells asks you this.

It's supposed to be an exercise to demonstrate the misinterperatation in the way you can say things.

So basically the whole "joke" (I guess, what else could you call it?) is based soley on being purposely misinterperated. The problem is anyone who inevitably says that always acts smug and intelligent when you don't get the answer.

oh. ok.
It's like GrandPa's joke.

"RailRoad Crossing; Look out for the cars."
"Can you say that without any 'R's'?"
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Klear

Re: Re:

Postby Klear » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:55 pm UTC

addams wrote:It's like GrandPa's joke.

That is sooo easy if you're Czech =P

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:09 pm UTC

Doctor Kya wrote:Funnily enough, there is now an answer to this "riddle". Since the original douchebaggery began, the word "hangry" has been coined. Now there really are three words in current usage in "the English language" that end in -gry.

The fifth panel is my life. I might get it tattooed over my heart.

(Also, Anderson Tao, the creator of the Mr. E. game, is oddly reminiscent of BHG and is the reason I sought out this comic tonight so that I could remind myself of Randall's exact wording when I told him why his app isn't a puzzle game so much as an exercise in his own feelings of superiority.)

An accepted answer used to be "nugry - n. Someone who is so new to puzzling that they haven't yet learned a correct phrasing of the '-gry' riddle."

jpvlsmv

Re: Re:

Postby jpvlsmv » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:27 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
addams wrote:It's like GrandPa's joke.

That is sooo easy if you're Czech =P

Or if you're Bostonian

YTPrenewed

Postby YTPrenewed » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:57 am UTC

Bumping because an incident on another website (under another pseudonym, though) made me think about this comic. I previously endorsed applying its message across the Internet. My current opinion now flies in the face of that.

First off, the guy in the comic wasn't just "communicating badly," (a broad concept that could be extended to things like needless ambiguity, etc...) he was misspeaking, period. The phrase "three words in the English language that end in gry" specifically implies three that end in gry. There are no words in the phrase "the English language" that end in gry. This requires one to assume the broad category in question was the English language itself.

Secondly... it's pushing it to apply it "across the Internet" as I previously endorsed. It can be clever to act smug after being misunderstood, because sometimes the way someone interprets something ambiguous; or even just the fact that they jumped to conclusions to the extent that they did; says more about them than it does about you.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”