0546: "Music DRM"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Insanity's Partner

0546: "Music DRM"

Postby Insanity's Partner » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:04 am UTC

http://www.xkcd.com/546/

Alt text: Just yesterday I bought my first non-drm'd songs. (The Last Vegas, in keeping with my 'I only listen to songs from Guitar Hero' theme).

Does anyone else feel mildly sad that there's no longer any real legitimate reason to pirate music anymore?

(Edited to include alt text. Sorry about that; forgot to paste it in. ^_^;;)
Last edited by Insanity's Partner on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dead Like Me: (n.) [ded lajk mi:] Firefly for people who excel at not giving a shit.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Music DRM Discussion

Postby philsov » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:04 am UTC

I was expecting the last panel to have the guy talking about pirating music and getting it for free. Heh.
Last edited by philsov on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

TheHand

Re: "Music DRM" Discussion

Postby TheHand » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:04 am UTC

FREE!?

I WISH I didn't have to pay for my internet!

Edit: (Well, SOMEONE has to pay for it, as I'm sure someone will point out ;)
Last edited by TheHand on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

sargeras0000

Postby sargeras0000 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:05 am UTC

No legitimate reason? It's free. That's the point. That was the point in the beginning, and it's still the point. Anyone who pretends otherwise is just deluding themselves.

Also, we won‽ Why did no one tell me this‽
Last edited by sargeras0000 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Bujiraso

Postby Bujiraso » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:06 am UTC

I'm still worried about DRM in video games

PS. Title text should be in the first post
Last edited by Bujiraso on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheSkyMovesSideways

Re: Music DRM Discussion

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:06 am UTC

xkcd wrote:Alt text: Just yesterday I bought my first non-drm'd songs. (The Last Vegas, in keeping with my 'I only listen to songs from Guitar Hero' theme)

Wait, what? Just yesterday, I bought Mogwai's latest album. And I've bought a lot of other music prior to that. Not once have I ever bought DRMed music. Fuck paying for non-physical copies of music. 8)

[Yes, I'm aware DRM has been applied to CDs also.]

Oh, wait, there's another thread on this comic. We can has merging?
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

Insanity's Partner

Postby Insanity's Partner » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:06 am UTC

I mean, a legitimate reason to soothe your morals.
Dead Like Me: (n.) [ded lajk mi:] Firefly for people who excel at not giving a shit.

belhilly

Postby belhilly » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:07 am UTC

Philsov: "I was expecting the last panel to have the guy talking about pirating music and getting it for free. Heh."

Yes, me too.

This one isn't as funny as most of his other strips.
I was wondering when he'd mention that iTunes had dropped DRM.

philsov

Postby philsov » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:07 am UTC

Alt text! Add it!

Does anyone else feel mildly sad that there's no longer any real legitimate reason to pirate music anymore?

There wasn't one before DRM existed. There's no sadness on my end.

sargeras0000

Postby sargeras0000 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:08 am UTC

What are these "morals" of which you speak? :P

Insanity's Partner

Postby Insanity's Partner » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:10 am UTC

belhilly wrote:I was wondering when he'd mention that iTunes had dropped DRM.

He did a while ago in an alt text..."Now that Apple's getting rid of DRM, Cory Doctorow will be getting rid of his Steve Jobs voodoo doll."

Eh. I always feel a little bad every time I pirate an indie CD. I feel like the band isn't getting what they honestly deserve. More often than not, I actually will try to go out and eventually buy their CD.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:12 am UTC

I didnt know we had won either. Go us?

Pirating will be around as long as music cost money and the internets are awesome. But great way to troll Randall. And be our news source when we are poorly informed buffoons (usually not this bad, Im on a streak today)
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Grady

Postby Grady » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:15 am UTC

Insanity's Partner wrote:http://www.xkcd.com/546/

Wait, we needed a reason? DRM was ridiculous and all, but I sure wasn't hiding behind it to ignore the fact that pirating is illegal/immoral (that coming from someone who pirates, frequently, music, video games and movies).
Gamercard may be slightly inaccurate due to the fact that my xbox is not always connected to the internet.

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:16 am UTC

Man, I dunno about you all but I actually miss Ruckus. Shit may have been DRM'd to high hell and back, but it was all-you-can-download for free as long as you were a student. I DL'd a ton of stuff and got around to getting rid of the DRM for most of it (I used Daniusoft Media Converter, which I got from giveawayoftheday.com -- as in, for free).

Mm, breaking DRM through an external utility like that from a bunch of free downloads is better than torrenting or direct downloads of illegally distributed media because they're not going to know where the media came from after it was converted. No, they're not.

eleniy86

Postby eleniy86 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:18 am UTC

best line EVER!!!
"...let's rock the fuck out"

guyy

Postby guyy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:20 am UTC

Wait, iTunes really got rid of DRM? I thought that was just a weird rumor.

Of course, Amazon's had no-DRM downloads for a while now and most things on iTunes are on there, too, so I don't see what the big deal is...

...but still, I must now find something stupid to buy off iTunes to see if this is true!

ubergeek09

Postby ubergeek09 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:22 am UTC

The real problem with music is the extremely high cost. Look. I know you will all say its cheap, but look at it it would cost a small fortune to fill even a modest sized personal media player at $.99 a song.

overpool

Postby overpool » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:23 am UTC

I can't wait to find out how many sanctimonious anti-DRM zealots will begin legitimately purchasing music now that iTunes is DRM-free. My guess? 5%.

Shay Guy

Postby Shay Guy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:26 am UTC

From a friend's Twitter: "Sad to say, xkcd got it wrong. It's not over, it's not even close. That was just one battle. It won't be over until the suits understand."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:27 am UTC

ubergeek09 wrote:The real problem with music is the extremely high cost. Look. I know you will all say its cheap, but look at it it would cost a small fortune to fill even a modest sized personal media player at $.99 a song.

Because $15-$20 for a 10 song CD is so much cheaper?

Your buck a song is paying for the writing and arranging of the song, which likely took a couple of weeks, and the recording thereof, which probably took a couple of days. For a buck, you get it forever.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

sunami

Postby sunami » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:30 am UTC

muteKi wrote:Man, I dunno about you all but I actually miss Ruckus. Shit may have been DRM'd to high hell and back, but it was all-you-can-download for free as long as you were a student. I DL'd a ton of stuff and got around to getting rid of the DRM for most of it (I used Daniusoft Media Converter, which I got from giveawayoftheday.com -- as in, for free).

You paid for the service with your room and board, so no that wasn't free either.
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:31 am UTC

guyy wrote:Wait, iTunes really got rid of DRM? I thought that was just a weird rumor.

Of course, Amazon's had no-DRM downloads for a while now and most things on iTunes are on there, too, so I don't see what the big deal is...

I love how people either are, or are pretending to be, unaware of that. When you act like DRM isn't dead until iTunes gets rid of it, you're just putting iTunes on a pedestal as some kind of end-all, be-all of music.

They still won't play on most non-Apple-made players, by the way. Once upon a time, that was the complaint -- that Apple was tying their iTunes customers to iPods.

Also I thought Randall was pro-"straight-up piracy" anyway, DRM or not. Or did I miss something along the way?
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:32 am UTC

I am having a lot of trouble feeling passionate about this issue, you all.

philsov

Postby philsov » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Or did I miss something along the way?

He's pretty anti-copyright and enjoys anything open source, but I don't think he's ever gone so far as to actively endorse piracy, short of the "steal this comic" strip, which is really just anti-drm stuff.

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Postby athelas » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:41 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Your buck a song is paying for the writing and arranging of the song, which likely took a couple of weeks, and the recording thereof, which probably took a couple of days. For a buck, you get it forever.
Are you SURE that's where all, or even the majority, of the money is going?

I think that the current model is doomed. Sure you can play around with laws and regulations but the simple economics of copying means that those measures are stopgaps at best. That said, I still think downloading is immoral and will (usually) pay properly until the structure changes.

crimeo

Postby crimeo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:48 am UTC

ubergeek09 wrote:The real problem with music is the extremely high cost. Look. I know you will all say its cheap, but look at it it would cost a small fortune to fill even a modest sized personal media player at $.99 a song.

The real problem with gold is the extremely high cost. Look, it would cost a small fortune to fill even a modest sized bucket at $970 a troy ounce. Therefore, I am justified in stealing gold.

No, I'm sorry, but the size of commercially available containers for a product does not dictate what its price should be... Congratulations, you have hit logic rock bottom. Everybody raise your hands who saw this shift toward even deeper BS coming from 10 miles away while reading DRM rants the past few years.
Last edited by crimeo on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:51 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Quantum Jack

Postby Quantum Jack » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:49 am UTC

floating heads again... is it on purpose? eh?

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:52 am UTC

"But if I'm not being kept down by the Man, what excuse do I have for not doing anything with my life?"

almightyze

Postby almightyze » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:56 am UTC

Okay, now I just feel like Randall's being a dick. This is the second straight strip where his writing has just come across as a bit on the obnoxious side, and a lot of his writing has been a bit off in the past month.

Besides, the copyright situation is a lot bigger than just DRM. The RIAA and MPAA currently wish to monitor internet activity ala the Great Firewall of China and Iran, the difference being supposedly content control (oh, and uh, shut down radio stations). The government all but backs it. The problem is, the moment someone like Sarah Palin or worse (and I do know worse people than that animatronic cocktail waitress) hits office and begins a crusade for "family values" (i.e., patriarchal Christianism), the government can use that sort of monitoring as a weapon. And don't call that a delusion, it's being tested in Australia right now, under the guise of "protecting children."

In any case, way to ruin our focus, Randall. Prick.
Last edited by almightyze on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
01010011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00100000
01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01101001
01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01101001
01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110

Allah o akbar! Azadi!

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:56 am UTC

We won? I must have missed that when I was browsing several online music stores, not finding any of the music I want (read: anything from outside the USA), nor anything in a lossless format. Wake me up when online stores offer a product as good as CDs.
TheHand wrote:FREE!?

I WISH I didn't have to pay for my internet!
That's what neighbours are for.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:00 am UTC

Quantum Jack wrote:floating heads again... is it on purpose? eh?

I'm trying to think of what it could possibly mean on purpose, but I think the symbolism of heads disconnected from their bodies is lost on me.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:04 am UTC

philsov wrote:
Or did I miss something along the way?

He's pretty anti-copyright and enjoys anything open source, but I don't think he's ever gone so far as to actively endorse piracy, short of the "steal this comic" strip, which is really just anti-drm stuff.

http://xkcd.com/345/
Granted, it's more out of retaliation for the industry's asshattery than because free music is some kind of right, but it has nothing to do with DRM.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:05 am UTC

almightyze wrote:Okay, now I just feel like Randall's being a dick. This is the second straight strip where his writing has just come across as a bit on the obnoxious side, and a lot of his writing has been a bit off in the past month.

Besides, the copyright situation is a lot bigger than just DRM. The RIAA and MPAA currently wish to monitor internet activity ala the Great Firewall of China and Iran, the difference being supposedly content control (oh, and uh, shut down radio stations). The government all but backs it. The problem is, the moment someone like Sarah Palin or worse (and I do know worse people than that animatronic cocktail waitress) hits office and begins a crusade for "family values" (i.e., patriarchal Christianism), the government can use that sort of monitoring as a weapon. And don't call that a delusion, it's being tested in Australia right now, under the guise of "protecting children."

In any case, way to ruin our focus, Randall. Prick.

Not funny Randall.
You are turning this country into a totalitarian christianist patriarchy!
Not cool, not funny, not a good comic.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

almightyze

Postby almightyze » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:13 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Not funny Randall.

I have a hard time noticing whether your sarcasm is partial or total. Either way, it doesn't make me any less inclined to deck you in the face.
01010011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00100000
01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01101001
01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01101001
01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110

Allah o akbar! Azadi!

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:15 am UTC

almightyze wrote:
sje46 wrote:Not funny Randall.

I have a hard time noticing whether your sarcasm is partial or total. Either way, it doesn't make me any less inclined to deck you in the face.

Oh nose! My nose!
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:15 am UTC

Not funny Randall.

Gosh! I'm so disappointed. I was expecting an entire branch of your family tree to have died from hunger because they didn't get paid for their music. I was actually looking forward to reading the story. (Not funny sje :D :D )

Love the last frame ... "I don't really care ... I just like being a jerk and expressing myself." HA! Too many of those on the internet.
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Meng Bomin

Postby Meng Bomin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:20 am UTC

sunami wrote:
muteKi wrote:Man, I dunno about you all but I actually miss Ruckus. Shit may have been DRM'd to high hell and back, but it was all-you-can-download for free as long as you were a student. I DL'd a ton of stuff and got around to getting rid of the DRM for most of it (I used Daniusoft Media Converter, which I got from giveawayoftheday.com -- as in, for free).

You paid for the service with your room and board, so no that wasn't free either.

I was under the impression that it was paid for by the banner ads that were displayed by the player and during downloading. Either way, effective distribution networks need to get resources from somewhere. It will be interesting to see how the equilibrium in terms of these networks shifts in the coming years with regard to their size, prices, and amount of free riders.

PeteThePessimist

Postby PeteThePessimist » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:26 am UTC

Explain to me what this DRM thing are.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:29 am UTC

PeteThePessimist wrote:Explain to me what this DRM thing are.

What is your native language? I'll send you a link.
This is English: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management
and this is simple english: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management
EDIT:
Gosh! I'm so disappointed. I was expecting an entire branch of your family tree to have died from hunger because they didn't get paid for their music. I was actually looking forward to reading the story. (Not funny sje :D :D )
Ah! But almightyze did a fine job himself of over-exaggerating! He did my job for me!

mattflaschen

Postby mattflaschen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:45 am UTC

overpool wrote:I can't wait to find out how many sanctimonious anti-DRM zealots will begin legitimately purchasing music now that iTunes is DRM-free. My guess? 5%.

Speaking for myself, I'm not actually guilty of this. Well... I am guilty of being of being a "sanctimonious anti-DRM zealot". But I'm not a hypocrite. As soon as AmazonMP3 went up, I started buying DRM-free songs, and I haven't stopped since.

Shay Guy wrote:From a friend's Twitter: "Sad to say, xkcd got it wrong. It's not over, it's not even close. That was just one battle. It won't be over until the suits understand."

If Randall had wrote "We won the DRM war", your friend would be right. The film and video game DRM wars are still raging. But the music DRM war is well and fairly won. Though we're always seeking warriors for the open format battle.</metaphor>

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”