0554: "Not Enough Work"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Alsadius

0554: "Not Enough Work"

Postby Alsadius » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:01 am UTC

Alt text: It's even harder if you're an asshole who pronounces <> brackets.

vodka.cobra

Re: "Not Enough Work" Discussion

Postby vodka.cobra » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:03 am UTC

Appended to my
To-do list: Make my website
Haiku compliant.

EDIT: http://xkcd.com/554/ -- Just in case the person above me forgets to edit this link into their post.
Last edited by vodka.cobra on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:05 am UTC

Actually, I think if all your coders don't understand that asking that question is pointless, because they already know all the good webcomics, they may need a little bit less work.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:05 am UTC

Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

flashstorm

Postby flashstorm » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:06 am UTC

needs moar linking and commentary

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:08 am UTC

All together...

SENRYU!

TheAbstractor

Postby TheAbstractor » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:09 am UTC

File this under "jokes 90% of the population, and 99% over 60 or under 20 wouldn't understand."

Aww hell . . . just file all of XKCD under that.

Iluvatar

Postby Iluvatar » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:10 am UTC

The race is on. Prizes:
Bronze to the first to post their static haiku compliant site
Silver to the first to post their reasonably complex dynamic haiku compliant site
Gold to the first to put out a haiku-compliant cms

Bonus: Write a haiku compliance validator.
"Don't you see?!"

"Get out of my bed, Randall, I'm trying to sleep!"

Your results may vary.

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Postby athelas » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:10 am UTC

...or if you're an asshole that pronounces quotation marks and slashes.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:15 am UTC

TheAbstractor wrote:File this under "jokes 90% of the population, and 99% over 60 or under 13 wouldn't understand."

fix'd
You need to get in touch with the youth of today, 'n stuff. Ya dig?
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:19 am UTC

You camel-licking donkey-humping pizza face.

Marquee is a beautiful html tag, but nooooo, not for you!
C'mon! Why are you so high and mighty? Sure, I may barely know html, and I still don't understand what exactly the difference between <ul> and <ol> is. And sure, I like to use a lot of primary colors. IS there really anything wrong with that? IS htere really anything wrong with marquee? Marquee makes the page dynamic, make a person not just stare at the maningless piece of trash you call a webcomic in boredom, but instead their eyes are darting all around. Excitement! You know, like action movies! Like Jurassic Park! You remember Jurassic Park, right? Raptors and stuff. That has a lot of things around, and I think that webpages should too! If you disagree, Randall, you're just a hypocrite.
Marquee makes the page dynamic. Especially when you put a link in it! It can be like a game. CLick the link to get to the next comic! Something! Anything! Be like my page! Be bold! Be daring! Dpon't judge people for having a more active aesthetic taste. There is nothing wrong with Myspace, I tell you!

What I'm saying, Randall, is why don;t you challenge your readers? You are as interactive as television, but eight times as boring, since your characters don't even move. Make animation! Get Matthew Broderick to voice the Black Capped Boy! I love the Black CApped Boy! But he's nothing now, just a static stick figure. Can't we see some animation of him stabbing some woman? That would be so funny, lol.

But nope, contribute to tis culture of laziness, dickweed. I hope my chronically obese children puke on your grave, you worthless woman.

Not cool, not funny, not a good comic.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:29 am UTC

Randall used kind of strong language here for people who pronounce brackets.

CorwinShiu

Postby CorwinShiu » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:31 am UTC

Hey I more than doubled my typing speed from switching to Dvorak.
It took me about a week or two to catch up on speed.

If you guys don't have a huge report/essay to write up in the near future, you guys should give Dvorak a try. It's so much more comfortable than QWERTY. My fingers are spoiled now, I can't type on public computers.

almightyze

Postby almightyze » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:34 am UTC

SocialSceneRepairman wrote:All together...

SENRYU!

O_o

o_O (for yr name...)
01010011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00100000
01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01101001
01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01101001
01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110

Allah o akbar! Azadi!

tak

Postby tak » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:35 am UTC

I laughed at the Dvorak one because I did that in 2004 at a little sign company I used to work for. I spent my last couple of weeks there (in addition to my regular duties) learning Dvorak to slow myself down a little, but when I was laid off I was already quicker than I ever was on QWERTY. Hey, they had the nerve to call me overhead when they let me go when I did all of their computer maintenance, networking, and sign proofs... and they had an entire second building fully staffed to create awnings when they only made (at best) one per month. I know for a fact they didn't make enough on that one awning per month to justify the building rental alone, let alone the power bill to keep the equipment there up and running and the $11.00-$15.00 per hour for each of the 12-15 people there.

Overhead. Riiiiiiiight.

But they went under 9 months later anyway. Oddly enough, every company I've ever worked for has gone out of business... even the retail stores now with the economy as it is.

If you guys don't have a huge report/essay to write up in the near future, you guys should give Dvorak a try. It's so much more comfortable than QWERTY. My fingers are spoiled now, I can't type on public computers.

Yeah, mang, tell me about it. Typing in Dvorak and then going to Qwerty is like going from silk to burlap.

Aquila

Postby Aquila » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:39 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Be like my page! Be bold! Be daring! Dpon't judge people for having a more active aesthetic taste. There is nothing wrong with Myspace, I tell you!

The faux-indignation of sje46 notwithstanding, for the love of all that is good and holy, don't go to that site! Speaking of things that can't be unseen... :shock:

AaronV

Postby AaronV » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:40 am UTC

Get out of my head!
just wrote haiku compliant
Internet webpage.

ok, well maybe not...

slavik262E

Postby slavik262E » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:43 am UTC

aion7 wrote:
TheAbstractor wrote:File this under "jokes 90% of the population, and 99% over 60 or under 13 wouldn't understand."

fix'd
You need to get in touch with the youth of today, 'n stuff. Ya dig?

17 and laughing like hell.

Vir4030

Postby Vir4030 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:44 am UTC

All the Dvorak typists in the house say Yeah!

I typed 100 WPM before switching to Dvorak, and it's the same after typing on it for 10 years. I caught up to 100 WPM pretty quickly in maybe a month of 100% switchover. It's the same speed, but it feels much better. I used to get bad cramps in my left wrist while typing for extended periods of time.

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:50 am UTC

I can't believe that "reading the XKCD forum" didn't make the cut in that comic. It's always my first stop before validating any HTML.

war3_master

Postby war3_master » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:52 am UTC

Umm... I'm only counting 3, 5, 3 on that haiku. Aren't Haikus 5, 7, 5? Anyways, I now need to try to make my C++ code Haiku compliant. That will be a real challenge.

Handie

Postby Handie » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:56 am UTC

Someone please tell me the benefits of a Dvorak keyboard?
Sounds interesting...
Starwars MMORPG
Great fun, check it out!
http://www.swcombine.com

war3_master

Postby war3_master » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:59 am UTC

Handie wrote:Someone please tell me the benefits of a Dvorak keyboard?
Sounds interesting...

Dvorak was designed with speed in mind, so you get a faster typing speed (after you get used to it, or course). Its also more comfortable for typing for extended periods of time.

i3ootleg

Postby i3ootleg » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:00 am UTC

The gopher compatibility panel hath slain me!

jacobraccuia

Postby jacobraccuia » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:02 am UTC

Sje, your linked website is disgusting, as in, it's ugly as hell. If I ever need tuxedos or whatever the hell you offer/do (I can't really tell because the page is so bright and busy in the worst possible way), I shall make sure I NEVER go there.

I hope your post is all sarcasm so I can feel stupid for actually responding to you

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:04 am UTC

jacobraccuia wrote:Sje, your linked website is disgusting, as in, it's ugly as hell. If I ever need tuxedos or whatever the hell you offer/do (I can't really tell because the page is so bright and busy in the worst possible way), I shall make sure I NEVER go there.

I hope your post is all sarcasm so I can feel stupid for actually responding to you

My friend asked me to make it for her aunt.
You really don't like it?
:(
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Jasn

Postby Jasn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:07 am UTC

war3_master wrote:Umm... I'm only counting 3, 5, 3 on that haiku. Aren't Haikus 5, 7, 5? Anyways, I now need to try to make my C++ code Haiku compliant. That will be a real challenge.

Count the syllables, not the words.

div - class - e - quals - main
span - I - D - e - quals - mar - quee
blog - slash - span - slash - div

tak

Postby tak » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:07 am UTC

sje46 wrote:My friend asked me to make it for her aunt.
It has no aesthetic appeal whatsoever (earning thumbs-up from me), but the music is an automatic lose just for being there regardless of what it is.

Qwert

Postby Qwert » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:30 am UTC

Iluvatar wrote:The race is on. Prizes:
Bronze to the first to post their static haiku compliant site
Silver to the first to post their reasonably complex dynamic haiku compliant site
Gold to the first to put out a haiku-compliant cms

Bonus: Write a haiku compliance validator.

Win the internet: Write a haiku compliance validator that is haiku compliant.
2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2.
- Grabel's Law
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer

war3_master

Postby war3_master » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:31 am UTC

Jasn wrote:
war3_master wrote:Umm... I'm only counting 3, 5, 3 on that haiku. Aren't Haikus 5, 7, 5? Anyways, I now need to try to make my C++ code Haiku compliant. That will be a real challenge.

Ah, I don't pronounce equals and slashes

muffin of doom

Postby muffin of doom » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:32 am UTC

CorwinShiu wrote:If you guys don't have a huge report/essay to write up in the near future, you guys should give Dvorak a try. It's so much more comfortable than QWERTY. My fingers are spoiled now, I can't type on public computers.

See for me, that's a reason not to switch to Dvorak. It's bad enough switching between my home computer (US keyboard) and work computer (Japanese keyboard), and they're almost identical except for a few punctuation marks. I suppose if I'm ever in a situation where I'm really only using one computer, I might consider it. Or, you know, if the whole world comes to its collective senses and Dvorak becomes the norm. But I'd say that's about as likely as the metric system becoming standard in the US... :roll:

Edit: Also, I wonder if there's any way to track increases in traffic at certain Wikipedia pages just after each new comic is posted. I bet the traffic at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard is spiking right now.
Last edited by muffin of doom on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

gormster

Postby gormster » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:36 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
jacobraccuia wrote:Sje, your linked website is disgusting, as in, it's ugly as hell. If I ever need tuxedos or whatever the hell you offer/do (I can't really tell because the page is so bright and busy in the worst possible way), I shall make sure I NEVER go there.

My friend asked me to make it for her aunt.

obvious troll is obvious.
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

gormster

Postby gormster » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:38 am UTC

muffin of doom wrote:
CorwinShiu wrote:If you guys don't have a huge report/essay to write up in the near future, you guys should give Dvorak a try. It's so much more comfortable than QWERTY. My fingers are spoiled now, I can't type on public computers.

See for me, that's a reason not to switch to Dvorak. It's bad enough switching between my home computer (US keyboard) and work computer (Japanese keyboard), and they're almost identical except for a few punctuation marks. I suppose if I'm ever in a situation where I'm really only using one computer, I might consider it. Or, you know, if the whole world comes to its collective senses and Dvorak becomes the norm. But I'd say that's about as likely as the metric system becoming standard in the US... :roll:

For the love god, please adopt the metric system. Obama, make this a priority. (I assume he reads xkcd. I bet Kevin Rudd does.)
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

Midna

Postby Midna » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:55 am UTC

I confess. I make a little noise in my head when I see the <> brackets. It sounds sort of like "ent" but with a slight accent.

atimholt

Postby atimholt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:56 am UTC

Yes. Dvorak. What's hilarious is I've currently got three active keyboards going right now (You know, cycle through them with Ctrl+shift).
The First is Dvorak
The Second is Qwerty. People sometimes need to borrow my computer, it's a fact of life
The third is one I constructed to cover the Deseret Alphabet in Unicode. I don't use it, but I've got it!

As for loss of qwerty-bility, I virtually never run into a situation where I even have to use another computer. I'm no admin or anything, and I've got a laptop I can take places.
Last edited by atimholt on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Totally random totally awesome SF quote:
Jorane Sutt put the tips of carefully-manicured fingers together and said, "It's something of a puzzle. In fact--and this is in the strictest confidence--it may be another one of Hari Seldon's crises."

Grumm3

Postby Grumm3 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:58 am UTC

====================
Our pages are now /
HTML, XHTML-strict, and /
Haiku compliant
====================

Also a haiku if you pronounce HTML as "hitmal" (or something like that). 8)

Layers upon layers, man!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:59 am UTC

Wow, I was just reading this guy's webcomic. Get out of my head Randall!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Cecil

Postby Cecil » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:15 am UTC

I'm typing on dvorak right now - it's been my primary layout since I learned it in high school. I always get a good laugh out of my co-workers reactions when they come over to show me something on my computer - "What the hell is wrong with your keyboard?!". Only a couple people had actually heard of dvorak before I told them. I don't find it any faster but it's certainly a lot more comfortable. I also haven't lost the ability to touch type on qwerty, even though I haven't used it regularly in over 10 years.

And damn you Randall for including that last panel. Now I can't send this great comic out to anybody at work!

snafubar

Postby snafubar » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:21 am UTC

Jasn wrote:

Damn, you beat me to it. I planned to write out the syllables of the haiku when I came to this thread.
Last edited by snafubar on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
We are god's unwanted children, so be it!

Moz

Postby Moz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:23 am UTC

Jasn wrote:

Nice try, but haikus go by mora, not syllable!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”