0557: "Students"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

littlelj

Re: "Students" Discussion

Postby littlelj » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:23 am UTC

Loved the comic. I too have had that dream and the variations (on stage not knowing lines, making a presentation at work without preparation or notes).

Amusingly, my mother recently had this experience in real life. Her FB status read: "is feeling odd. Three hours ago I was on stage in front of 1000 people with no rehearsals and I couldn't remember the show." It was a "get into opera" thing apparently.

Power Rangers? You make me feel old. My little brother liked them; I was already too cool.

My dreams range from the epic and narrative ("film dreams" - which I am then able to write up and exploit muahahahaha) to the little bizarre snippets. The film dreams are far more fun.

Last night I dreamed my husband was my son. That is, that they had bizarrely swapped lives. :| Sleep deprivation much?
Dudes, I'm a woman.

zerohero

Postby zerohero » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:26 am UTC

Hmm, funny, because I've had this dream myself in the past. Maybe it has something to do with stress?

Have any of you, by the way, ever had the dream where you turn up for school/work, and suddenly realize that you are in only your underwear (or completely naked)?
.narfNET - http://narf.byethost16.com
This is a personal site of mine catering to console emulators and other things of interest
.narfNET forums - http://narf.byethost16.com/forums
Give us a visit! We're always happy to accept new members

twocows

Postby twocows » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:38 am UTC

Agh! I just had this dream a few hours ago! It was fine, though, because it was a trigonometry course, which I (quite literally) know in my sleep.

drazen

Postby drazen » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:40 am UTC

I'm 32 and I still have recurring variations on the college dream. I just had one a couple nights ago where I supposedly didn't have enough credits to graduate.

Other recurring dreams: dreams about sex and/or fighting with ex's from 8+ years ago; various evil people/forces/demons trying to kill me (I have the "shifting landscapes" going on in these, too, things like my bedroom being connected to my work office, but they seem to make sense at the time), and a variation of the naked dream where I'm wearing some sort of unusual/weird/embarrassing outfit in a public place - usually a mall - and have to run and hide before a love interest spots me, as all the clothing stores that sell something normal are closed.

Last night's dream? A sour ending to a date. Wrestling the green ranger would at least have been less depressing than my own brain turning me down!

anamnesies

Postby anamnesies » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:57 am UTC

Holy crap, Randall, GTFO my head!

I had this exact same dream this morning. Except that in it, I seemed to be perfectly OK with the fact that I knew nothing about the class, or that I didn't seem to be attending it at all.

richard_senior

Postby richard_senior » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:03 am UTC

This is so true.
I was still having this dream in 2004.
I graduated in 1996!

Capt. Jon

Postby Capt. Jon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:20 am UTC

I'm a lecturer and i've had the dream where I've forgotten to set the assignment.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:22 am UTC

I hate that dream. I graduated dammit, I don't need to go through this hell again!
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

.Alice.

Postby .Alice. » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:29 am UTC

Awwh, don't tell me that!

I have this dream even though I've never been late, or even last-minute with an assignment (well, okay, there were some in high school that I just didn't hand in, but that's different -- that was deliberate)... Last week, it was a dream where my literature review (honours assesment, not due for a semester yet) was "due tomorrow", and I hadn't even read any of the papers I needed to, and then my USB stick which had all of them on it became unreadable, and I was running around trying to find the papers again (they were unrelated physical objects hidden around campus, which was the bit that finally gave me the hint that this wasn't actually real. Especially as I had been at home when I realised all this, and home is two hours from uni...) Don't like these dreams!

greylion

Postby greylion » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:35 am UTC

I've had two dreams, where I woke up immensely confused and it took me maybe 20-30 minutes to get back to reality.
Both times has been a few months after someone close in my family died; my father(1996) and my oldest sister(2007).
In both dreams I spent a long time talking to them, but finally it dawned on my that they were dead and I told them, and that's when I woke up, totally messed up in my head because I'd just talked to them so it seemed really hard for me to believe that they were dead.
Only after I 'replayed' their funeral in my head a couple of times did I get back to 'normality'.

During the last year or so, I've realized that you actually don't die; your soul or 'Overself' can't die. Only the body dies.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:24 am UTC

Just to add another data point: I'm 33. Graduated high school in 1995. In 2008, I still have recurring dreams that I'm going to fail a required class and not graduate. Usually Senior English or microbiology. Which were both issues, but I'm surprised math never shows up, that was usually my worst subject. Also somewhat surprising: I withdrew from college after my second year, but rarely have dreams about failing college classes. Maybe it's because my university was such a crock.

I don't think my dreams quite fit into the first-person or third-person modes. It's more like a memory has been injected directly into my head. Which makes sense, I guess.

I always liked Neil Gaiman's description in Volume 10 of The Sandman, when everyone is at the big event, and the remark is made how in dreams, you can go from being in one place to being in another without a transition, and that's okay in a dream. So true.

Glad to report that I have never had a dream involving Green Ranger and/or Crisco. However, I'm surprised that nobody has yet reported wondering what the practical application of a swimming pool full of routers was.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

bonzombiekitty

Postby bonzombiekitty » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:32 am UTC

I have this nightmare every few months and I've been out of school for almost 3 years now. Oddly enough, the nightmare usually involves high school English or Math classes, rather than any college courses. I've been having them more recently now that I've been helping my girlfriend with her bio stats class (a graduate level course on basic statistics).

Monimonika

Postby Monimonika » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:40 am UTC

Oh me yarm! :shock:

That is the exact same nightmare that I've been occasionally having for the past 3 years (I graduated college back in 2005) as well! I can relate to this comic almost word-for-word, except for the ending. I never figure out it's a dream until I wake up stressed out and have to take a few seconds reminding myself that I have an actual job now that has nothing to do with coursework.

Scary. :twisted:

tad604

Postby tad604 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:42 am UTC

I've had this dream many times post college graduation. The most disturbing variation, is when I find out I can't graduate college until I make up requirements I missed in grade school and find myself back at my catholic grade school taking a math or history class so I can graduate college.

Julien

Postby Julien » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:47 am UTC

I graduated from High School ten years ago and still I have this dream all the time...

It's just EXACTLY how it happens. I'm glad to see other people also experiments it.
Do not conquer. Do not fight back. Do not give up.
(One cookie for each person who recognizes the guy on my avatar. And no, it's not me. Clue : he's not a former american president.)

mazhang

Postby mazhang » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:00 pm UTC

Wow...almost every single person in this thread had a dream just like it...awesome. :o I just had a dream last night that I got up at 1 P.M. and missed school, but I woke up drenched in sweat right before my dream could finish. I ended up getting up at around 3 A.M. in the morning, and I can't go back to sleep. So I'm stuck here browsing the XKCD forums as always until school starts. =)

Realistic dreams always seems to occur a lot more commonly with me than the rest of my family. I remember one of my sister told me a dream involving Frodo, boomerangs, and...a library? Something odd of that sort.

CiDhed

Postby CiDhed » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:08 pm UTC

White Ranger ftw.

slapmastered

Postby slapmastered » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:32 pm UTC

I had to register for the forums for this discussion...mostly because via lurking, I can't BELIEVE no one has mentioned/had this mouse-over text remind them of a certain '80's classic movie...

"Is it a dream where you see yourself in sort of Sun God robes, standing on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

...Bonus points for Movie Title and Character Name...

steek

Postby steek » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:37 pm UTC

I just woke up from a dream about betting on cow races...GO MOOOEY GO!!!

Agent Foxtrot

Postby Agent Foxtrot » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:48 pm UTC

My school dreams used to involve being wholly unprepared for an exam. Sometimes the dream was a reality. :(

togo1960

Postby togo1960 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:59 pm UTC

In my version of this dream, I show up for a class I've been blowing off - usually in a part of campus I rarely visited - and become panicked to discover we're taking a mid-term exam. In my late 40's, I still have this dream occasionally. I've also have had the one an earlier poster mentioned about trying to convince the high-school administration that I don't really need that algebra class to complete my diploma requirements because I've already completed differential equations.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

slapmastered wrote:"Is it a dream where you see yourself in sort of Sun God robes, standing on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

That was Real Genius. Actor was Val Kilmer. Character was the "hip, cool genius" guy. I don't remember his name. I could cheat and use Google/IMDB, but I won't.

Mmmmm, now I want some popcorn.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:12 pm UTC

I graduated university 18 years ago and I still have this dream - about my comprehensive school, which I left when I was 16. It's always maths, which I could probably have passed even if I hadn't gone to any of the classes :) Bizarrely, I never have it ever about either sixth form or university.

I don't dream about the Green Ranger, though I did go through a phase of Power Rangers being a guilty secret obsession of mine. I had to give it up when my two year old started singing the theme tune :shock:

slapmastered

Postby slapmastered » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:23 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
slapmastered wrote:"Is it a dream where you see yourself in sort of Sun God robes, standing on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

That was Real Genius. Actor was Val Kilmer. Character was the "hip, cool genius" guy. I don't remember his name. I could cheat and use Google/IMDB, but I won't.

Mmmmm, now I want some popcorn.

OOOH...and nearly a perfect score, too. Character name is Chris Knight.

"Why is that TOY on your head?" "Because...if I wear it anywhere else, it chafes..."

...No, this isn't one of my all time favorite movies, why would you ask that?

Jevanyn

Postby Jevanyn » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:27 pm UTC

I have this dream about once a month: It's my senior year of high school, toward the end of the school year. I'm looking for a class; I still haven't memorized my schedule, so I don't remember what room I'm going to, or whether I've done the homework. Then it occurs to me that it doesn't matter if I drop out, because I already have a college degree. But I keep looking for the class anyway.

This dream has gotten more frequent since I went to my 20th high school reunion.

So, um, yeah.

Chasmosaur

Postby Chasmosaur » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

Oh thank you. I nearly had my morning tea coming out of my nose reading this. I graduated 20 years ago and have this dream at least twice a year.

Normally I just lurk, but between the Don Quixote reference on Monday and this today, XKCD has been a much-brighter-than-usual spot in my week.

Julien

Postby Julien » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:48 pm UTC

I have this dream very, very, very often. It's almost a recurrent dream for me.

But it always happen during the dream that I realize I'm graduated, and then I feel so good...I hike all around the school, meeting my friends, chatting with them, teasing them because I am already graduated, seducing teens with my mature look, and cursing the teachers when they try to discipline me. When I wake up I'm always sad it was just a dream...

Yes, I was nasty at school but I feel like I should have been even more.
(One cookie for each person who recognizes the guy on my avatar. And no, it's not me. Clue : he's not a former american president.)

lylebot

Postby lylebot » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

There is a way to stop having this dream: become a university professor.

That has been known to be the source of much worse nightmares though...

Julien

Postby Julien » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

lylebot wrote:There is a way to stop having this dream: become a university professor.

I just told you I dream that I seduce student girls. Do you really think it would be a good idea to make a university professor out of me ?

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:21 pm UTC

Yup. Had that dream many a time. I even had it about having assignments due for highschool while home from college for Christmas break!

Julien wrote:
lylebot wrote:There is a way to stop having this dream: become a university professor.
I just told you I dream that I seduce student girls. Do you really think it would be a good idea to make a university professor out of me ?
sounds like a REASON to be a teacher to me! ;-) (not really)

Actually, it seems to me there's a lot more of cute charming high school boys getting away with murder because their female teachers want to do them then the same thing happening with teenage girls. Maybe that's because the male teachers actually DO try to do their teenage students they want to do, and then get kicked out so the ones who feel that way are less likely to keep teaching? Or is it because women are actually more sexually driven then men and have more difficulty reacting professionally consequently? Or is it just because female teachers are far more common?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Darius1020

Postby Darius1020 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:34 pm UTC

I don't have this dream, this actually happens to me, at least for tests,

I'm still in high school, but i expect that this will happen to me in college, man, its gonna be fun!

vviipp

Postby vviipp » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:40 pm UTC

Hell, yeah! I'm only passed my first semester of Grade 9, but I already have several lists of things to dream about. The English projects I have to do over Spring Break, for example.
Edit: Alright, I've finished it and handed it in. But as a procrastinator, anyone who's actually stupid enough to read this might know how I did.
Last edited by vviipp on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Iluvatar

Postby Iluvatar » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

I get this too / get out of my head, Randall / etc.

I would guess that this dream stems from the leftovers of our subconscious. During the day, our subconscious minds are responsible for reminding us when to do things like go to class or that our homework is due. Subconsciously, we're all like "Oh me yarm, am I late for class? Do I need to do this assignment? Was I supposed to be doing something else right now?!" This bleeds into dreams, where our subconscious dumps it's leftovers.

I'd further guess that at times where sleep is erratic, infrequent, and/or shortlived (ie college), the mental understanding of "This is reality" and "This is sleep" blurs, allowing more of the subconscious worries into our dreams where the form worst-case scenarios (I forgot to go to class to turn in the assignment I forgot to do, which'll prevent me from graduating, and my dog got run over).

What screws with me is that I get the reverse in equal proportion to this - I'll get a dream where I'm able to resolve whatever's plaguing me at the time. If I did, in fact, miss a big assignment, I'll dream that I didn't only to wake up and find out that yes, I still did. What really screws with me is when it becomes cyclical over several nights:
Real: I forgot the assignment.
Dream: Oh wait, no, I just forgot that I already did it.
Real: I didn't actually do it.
Dream: Yes I did.
Real: No I didn't, and now the deadline's tomorrow..
Dream: WTF is real?!

But I'm on co-op now, so I only have the good dreams (bad things happen -> wake up -> reality is good). :)
"Don't you see?!"

"Get out of my bed, Randall, I'm trying to sleep!"

Your results may vary.

codingismy9to5

Postby codingismy9to5 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:45 pm UTC

I registered for the forums just so I could leave a "me too." I've only been out of college for 4 years, but I spent 6 years there and still have this dream pretty frequently. It always terrifies me.

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

WOw, this comic was awfully prescient for me. :P Though it's not so much a dream as having a course that I'm not sure I'm going to pass, and being glad I don't need it to graduate.

I totally relate to the "I just want to get out of here" part, too. :P
Most people would post something witty, humourous, or perhaps offensive in their signature. Unfortunately, you won't find anything like this here.

haliblix

Postby haliblix » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

For some reason I only have this dream about high school and not college which helps me to not freak out with the thought "Wait, how can i be here if I remember college?" and then I wake up. Nowadays it's waking up on Sundays violently, thinking "HOLY SHIT I'M LATE FOR WORK".

Kayube

Postby Kayube » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

So, does this mean we can expect Randall to convert to the Church of Oliver any day now?

(Yeah, I've been thinking about Power Rangers recently- watch RPM, people, it's actually pretty good- which even included a dream about them just last night, though Green wasn't involved for some reason- I was the original Blue.)

teamcorndog

Postby teamcorndog » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

I have this dream a lot...except it's always set in high school (sometimes even elementary school). I'm a grad student in the waking world. Why won't the nightmare end??

i3ootleg

Postby i3ootleg » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:26 pm UTC

I had this dream a few weeks after classes ended several years ago, but about a two months before I received my actual diploma.

Thankfully I haven't had it since. Now I'm going to be waiting for it. :evil:

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:27 pm UTC

About 6 months ago as I was starting off as an undergrad I pretty much I had this dream. I got yanked back 1.5 years to my end-of-secondary-school examinations, past a whole gap year of my life in between. It felt weird to be fretting about noddy Further Maths again, when it should be Thermodynamics afflicting me.
Further correlation to today's strip: I was recently passed the mp3 of the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers theme song.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”