0563: "Fermirotica"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

nash1429

Re: "Fermirotica" Discussion

Postby nash1429 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:56 am UTC

ok this got boring a while ago, but really you should do the calculation by hand with your equation and my equation and see which one you like better

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:30 am UTC

nash1429 wrote:ok this got boring a while ago, but really you should do the calculation by hand with your equation and my equation and see which one you like better

I like the general form much better.

v = s/t

raspberryicicle

Postby raspberryicicle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

LapsesofSanity wrote:
coreyjkelly wrote:Anybody know where the 2 in the numerator comes from? I assume it has to do with sex involving two people? Other than that, seems like a pretty straightforward derivation... circle area and population density tell you how many people are within "r" of you, and the frequency tells you what the probability is that any given one of them is having sex.
Dimensional analysis FTW

yeah, with such a small number on top, and a large number on the bottom, wouldnt r always come out to be a very small number? itd be weird having people having sex within 6 inches of you...

Well, that'd be where the square root would come in, right? I'm no expert on the maths or anything, but it makes sense.

nash1429

Postby nash1429 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:00 am UTC

actually if you do the math the radicand isn't that small because of unit conversion.

Iamu

Re: 0563: "Fermirotica"

Postby Iamu » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:41 am UTC

So, I know the thread is dead, but I happened to do a weighted calculation for NYC five boroughs based on census data and the Kinsey statistics. Average horizontal distance to sexual intercourse is about 188 meters at any given time. I can run through it if anyone is interested. I'd like to know where Mr. Munroe is living with with 160m. Bangkok, perhaps?

Freddino18
[Title Not Found]

Postby Freddino18 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:42 am UTC

phlip wrote:Why the continual baseless attacks on my maths education? I mean, it's pretty irrelevant to the point. I'm not even going to bother to rebut it, wrong as it is, because it'd be pointless[…]

Thank you, phlip, for that wonderful dissection and subsequent rebuttal of nash's claims regarding "calculational equations". That "What the pants" comment made my day.
Blenders!
GENERATION 23: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Shriekin' Criminal: Wu Tang, Voodoo Foote: pirate, Amos Quirell: wizard, Sun-Ray Fool: blues, Thomaz Hettkamp: Nazi, farty monkey snatcher, phire AvAtAr: 1337 h4x0r

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:50 am UTC

dennisw wrote:
rho421 wrote:If they don't exist, then why are there 95 google results?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... art=0&sa=N

Because 95 results on Google is below the threshold of statistical significance.

For comparison: "differential equation"

Results 1 - 10 of about 948,000 for "differential equation"

"About 252,000 results" for abyssal plain.

"About 5,960,000 results" for chemtrail.

"About 2,080,000 results" for swallowtail butterfly.

"About 24,500,000 results" for flouridation.

Just 6 results for my ex-girlfriend's full name. (I shouldn't have looked that up. Ouch.)

I don't think those numbers are good indications of which ones are real.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:02 am UTC

Sableagle wrote:"About 24,500,000 results" for flouridation.

actually, i get only 31,300 for that. Not a lot people seem to be concerned about ground cereal additives.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:57 am UTC

Dammit. I got teh spelling rgiht when I typed it into teh googel search box but when I maed the froum psot about it teh figners of my left hand got ahead of thsoe on my rgiht again.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Hafting

Postby Hafting » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:04 pm UTC

LapsesofSanity wrote:yeah, with such a small number on top, and a large number on the bottom, wouldnt r always come out to be a very small number? itd be weird having people having sex within 6 inches of you...

Not weird at all. Seems like the distance to your partner?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”