0573: "Parental Trolling"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

0573: "Parental Trolling"

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:03 am UTC

Alt-text: They'll pick music and culture that they know annoys you. Building in behavioral easter eggs is a fair retaliation!

Wow. Wow. Randall, you are a whore of the Bene Gesserit and deserve a horrible death.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

confuzzled

Re: "Parental Trolling" Discussion

Postby confuzzled » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:07 am UTC

Hehe... he raised a murloc. :mrgreen:

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:08 am UTC

lol, that's not very nice

Interesting to see that trolling still exists in the future
~= scwizard =~

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:11 am UTC

I hope we don't still call it trolling by then.

Daisy

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:11 am UTC

I know this is silly, but my favorite part is totally the fact that the dad totally couldn't care less about the rickrolling, the "Wow." and not even looking...It's just so parental to me.
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people. - Best fortune cookie ever.

cpp789

Postby cpp789 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:12 am UTC

This would be horrible. He should have made it something harder to trigger, like getting afraid whenever someone says "fnord".

aeris92

Postby aeris92 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:12 am UTC

Is there some reference I'm not getting?

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:14 am UTC

Did anyone else read this and then get to work on a literature search on how to do it?*

* This is my response to a lot of the XKCD comics. The research for Cuttlefish was epic. If only the funding requests had been approved. :(
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Daisy

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:16 am UTC

MiB24601 wrote:Did anyone else read this and then get to work on a literature search on how to do it?*

Haha...I think that's probably just you... But if you figure it out, I want to know.
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people. - Best fortune cookie ever.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:20 am UTC

Daisy wrote:I know this is silly, but my favorite part is totally the fact that the dad totally couldn't care less about the rickrolling, the "Wow." and not even looking...It's just so parental to me.

Well, just going up to a guy and sticking an iThingy playing it in their face is a pretty lame version of the prank. For one thing, the bait-and-switch aspect isn't there.

I wonder if this dad is any relation to Black Hat Guy. This seems more like the sort of thing he'd do.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

ohnoesmilk

Postby ohnoesmilk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:29 am UTC

You can tell it's the future, he and the computer are floating!

Steve the Pocket wrote:
I wonder if this dad is any relation to Black Hat Guy. This seems more like the sort of thing he'd do.

He can't be! He has no black hat! And his daughter would be much more devious with BHM and BHG as parents.
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:34 am UTC

i laughed. I hope i am still able to do silly things when I get older.
BTW, has anyone else noticed the scheduling is off or something? is it just me?

DWarrior

Postby DWarrior » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:35 am UTC

the "in" haircut is a double pig-tail with a mullet? Those gosh danged kids in the future days; when we will have had been their age, we will have had known about fashion!
Last edited by DWarrior on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Daisy

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:43 am UTC

DWarrior wrote:the "in" haircut is a double pig-tail with a mohawk? Those gosh danged kids in the future days; when we will have had been their age, we will have had known about fashion!

I think her hair is adorable! And where is this mohawk you're talking about? I totally don't see it.
Funny quote/old person rant, though.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:43 am UTC

DWarrior wrote:when we will have had been their age, we will have had known about fashion!

Ow, my sense of time!

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:47 am UTC

Clearly he hasn't realised the best behavioural conditioning.

Any mention of 'The Game' makes the child bust out 'Never Gonna Give You Up', including the dance.

.. I should never have children.

Whyareall

Postby Whyareall » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:48 am UTC

Daisy wrote:
DWarrior wrote:the "in" haircut is a double pig-tail with a mohawk? Those gosh danged kids in the future days; when we will have had been their age, we will have had known about fashion!

I think her hair is adorable! And where is this mohawk you're talking about? I totally don't see it.

I think he means mullet.
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:The problem with imagination is it does a lousy job of interacting with the physical world. And you look crazy when you talk to it.

DWarrior

Postby DWarrior » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:49 am UTC

Whyareall wrote:
Daisy wrote:

I think he means mullet.

oops, mullet of course!

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:00 am UTC

DWarrior wrote: when we will have had been their age, we will have had known about fashion!

What tense is this!?

I find the haircut cool, it does make me wonder what hairstyles will be like later.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

DWarrior

Postby DWarrior » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:06 am UTC

Cryopyre wrote:
DWarrior wrote: when we will have had been their age, we will have had known about fashion!

What tense is this!?

future past perfect? I don't think it's an official tense.

TheCad

Postby TheCad » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:16 am UTC

DWarrior wrote:
Cryopyre wrote:

What tense is this!?

future past perfect? I don't think it's an official tense.

Future pluperfect, I'd say.

P.S. First post on xkcd but long time troller, love the comic and you guys!

Office_Shredder

Postby Office_Shredder » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:19 am UTC

Let's be honest, this comic would only be mildly amusing except for the use of 'bleegle warble yargle' for when she can't speak
Physics question: I'm sitting at my desk doing homework, when I get up to make myself dinner. I sit back down again. Where the hell did my pen go?!? Objects at rest tend to stay at rest my ass

BlueEyedGreen

Postby BlueEyedGreen » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:21 am UTC

I love how everything in the future is curvy, and how computers are just sleek glowing membranes floating at desk level.

Office_Shredder

Postby Office_Shredder » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:30 am UTC

BlueEyedGreen wrote:I love how everything in the future is curvy, and how computers are just sleek glowing membranes floating at desk level.

I didn't even notice that :lol:
Physics question: I'm sitting at my desk doing homework, when I get up to make myself dinner. I sit back down again. Where the hell did my pen go?!? Objects at rest tend to stay at rest my ass

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:36 am UTC

BlueEyedGreen wrote:I love how everything in the future is curvy, and how computers are just sleek glowing membranes floating at desk level.

Well, of course. How else would you know that the future has arrived?

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Ronfar

Postby Ronfar » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:44 am UTC

- Doug

Shinyman

Postby Shinyman » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:01 am UTC

Amazingly, I learned that my mom and one of her friends subjected me to similar mental conditioning.
In order to get back at my grandmother (she was a slightly crazy parent) they conditioned me to only refer to her as "Geegaw", to annoy her.
That was a strange revelation, I never personally questioned how the nickname was created

This comic then hits fairly close to home

Zornwerft

Postby Zornwerft » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:05 am UTC

Hm, it could work - with lots of punishment and candy.

MiB24601 wrote:Did anyone else read this and then get to work on a literature search on how to do it?*

* This is my response to a lot of the XKCD comics. The research for Cuttlefish was epic. If only the funding requests had been approved. :(

I started a research, where I might know the "bleeble warble yargle arrgh" from^^ Google didn't come up with anything :\ Maybe it sounded familiar to me due to similar conditioning attempts from my parents...
Yeah, the cuttlefish-day was a day to remember :D

mystichobo

Postby mystichobo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:20 am UTC

Cryopyre wrote:

What tense is this!?

The major problem is simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you, for instance, how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be descibed differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is futher complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations while you are actually traveling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own mother or father.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up; and in fact in later aditions of the book all pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs.

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:20 am UTC

For reals this time: Randall, get out of my head!

I was reading Wired magazine, and this issue has an article on magic tricks and psychology. It included a link to a video about the psychology of magic which inspired a new trick for Penn and Teller. (Teller is presented as the Neal Peart of magic tricks.) I desperately need more sleep, but I had to find that video, so I went online and watched it...

Then I came here.
---------
BlueNight

jspenguin

Postby jspenguin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:23 am UTC

Cryopyre wrote:

What tense is this!?

I find the haircut cool, it does make me wonder what hairstyles will be like later.

I'm not sure, you'll have to consult Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations.

Edit: ninja'd by mystichobo.
Last edited by jspenguin on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

from __future__ import skynet

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:23 am UTC

I made a little wish that the alt text on this one was going to be "May I mambo dogface to the banana patch?", but alas, I was denied.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:24 am UTC

phlip wrote:

Yeah, but we're still using keyboards?
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

MadKingSoupII

Postby MadKingSoupII » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:32 am UTC

I do feel mucho lamo posting solely about her hair, but I say it's actually some of super future cool hairstyle change-o-matic with camouflgae capabilities.
I'm pretty sure it goes x-ray in panel 3, because I can see her brain.

And it's not a keyboard. He's gaming and that's his virtua-senso-field generator recepto-pad.
Future Dad pwns on Halo 17. Or possibly Dance Dance Dance Dance ReRevolution. I can't tell from this angle.

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:34 am UTC

dennisw wrote:
phlip wrote:

After the Internet Explorer v63 bug, the survivors eschewed direct mental interfaces.
---------
BlueNight

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:36 am UTC

That future-chair is incredible. I just hope its 10MW hover-fields are as comfortable as our primitive cushions, as well as being easier to clean.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

Dliessmgg

Postby Dliessmgg » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:47 am UTC

dennisw wrote:
phlip wrote:

It's not a keyboard, it's a floating keyboard of awesomeness!

Lirri

Postby Lirri » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:12 am UTC

MadKingSoupII wrote:I do feel mucho lamo posting solely about her hair, but I say it's actually some of super future cool hairstyle change-o-matic with camouflgae capabilities.
I'm pretty sure it goes x-ray in panel 3, because I can see her brain.

Odd, when I saw the comic I immediately thought of a little kid with curly hair and two ponytails on the sides of her head. The wavy things you saw as brains I saw as just curly hair pulled back.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought murloc.

I wonder if parental trolling just gets classified under trying to outsmart/annoy your kids just because we can :twisted:. Leading me to question how ornery I am because I think the comic's hilarious. Then I end the process with remembering how much my mom went out of her way to annoy me for giggles (read "here's a fresh apple slice" when it's a clove of garlic) and I conclude I'm not as twisted as my mom is and it's acceptable to troll my kids.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:53 am UTC

BlueNight wrote:
dennisw wrote:Yeah, but we're still using keyboards?

After the Internet Explorer v63 bug, the survivors eschewed direct mental interfaces.

Hahahahaha!

Direct mental interface with anything that connects to the internet... Wow... Imagine the trouble you could get into if you weren't careful about reading user agreements.

Edit: oh, and apparently in the future we'll watch music videos on things that look like pieces of paper and aren't harmed by being dropped on the floor.
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Gregu

Postby Gregu » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:55 am UTC

Say what you want. For me this is EPIC!
I want to raise my daughter (if I'll have one) like that. Then pass the secret codeword* to my son-in-law, if I approve of him ;)

* - A codeword works better than upsetting. I wouldn't like my daughter to be non-resistant to stressful situations...
No sig... Ideas welcome...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”