0585: "Outreach"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Troger64

Re: "Outreach" Discussion

Postby Troger64 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

slobrummer wrote:Was anyone else reminded of a wallpaper containing a muscular guy grabbing onto a shark as they both are in freefall? I hunted for the picture (it's often found on the chans, but I didn't see it anywhere in the wallpaper or tech section) but didn't see it.

its a gorilla
http://www.dapperstache.com/picotheday/gorilla_shark

kaedra

Postby kaedra » Mon May 18, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

I find this strip to be utterly realistic, but that may be because I read "Jurassic Park" at an impressionable age and subsequently became a molecular biologist. (Still working on those raptors, though.)

ibiwan

Postby ibiwan » Mon May 18, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

So what are we saying, here? xkcd has now Flown The Shark?

I never did figure out why The Fonz' ski jump was supposed to be so cheesy, but this explains it well.

sevans

Postby sevans » Mon May 18, 2009 10:58 pm UTC

Don't you mean "Bat-shark-repellent"?

Dlaten

Postby Dlaten » Mon May 18, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

duckshirt wrote:Yeah, best win in a while.
Dlaten wrote:As for the alternate text, which is implausible? A shark floating over dry land or a young girl wanting to be a scientist?
¡This cheese is burning me!, he never stops trying to encourage gender equality in science...

That was not really a slam against women, although a jokes against scientists. A young boy would probably prefer to be a football player or a basketball player instead of something as awesome as a scientist. As per any belief that I may be sexist I would like to point out that I remember and fear the consequences on http://xkcd.com/322/

By the way, you are the first person to call me cheese. That caught me by surprise.

miggit999

Postby miggit999 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:44 am UTC

What happened to the third scientist? Did the shark eat him?
ImageImageImage

MSTK

Postby MSTK » Tue May 19, 2009 2:05 am UTC

I would like to second the notion that this comic would have made an amazing comic in itself with just the final four panels.

Orca

Postby Orca » Tue May 19, 2009 2:16 am UTC

freddyfish wrote:
Now an orca on the other hand...

I may be a bit late, but did someone say orca?

*cue chomping of baby seals to scare people*
If you start an argument over whether "they" "them" and "their" can be used as gender neutral singular pronouns, in this thread, I will do terrible, terrible things to you.
-Belial

useless whelp

Postby useless whelp » Tue May 19, 2009 2:52 am UTC

I think you guys are overlooking an even better marine life experiment. Fill a Portuguese man-of-war with helium, and it will float!(I think?) You might need a very small needle or the man-of-war will pop. Then get a bucket full of them and drop them off a skyscraper. Raining jellyfish, anyone?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue May 19, 2009 3:50 am UTC

Attach the Balloon to a NARWHAL!!!

Jousting, anyone?

slobrummer

Postby slobrummer » Tue May 19, 2009 4:02 am UTC

Troger64 wrote:
slobrummer wrote:Was anyone else reminded of a wallpaper containing a muscular guy grabbing onto a shark as they both are in freefall? I hunted for the picture (it's often found on the chans, but I didn't see it anywhere in the wallpaper or tech section) but didn't see it.

its a gorilla

I've seen that one, but I'm talking about a similar one with similar style drawing.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue May 19, 2009 8:59 am UTC

UmbralRaptor wrote:Now that I think about it, this seems vaguely like a Far Side (the one with ballooning buffalo, inspired by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballooning_(spider))
Also, the one where the scientist is surprised by the overnight success of his attempts to breed piranha with flying fish :mrgreen:

My husband says he wants a tshirt with the scientists going "AAAAAAA" on the front and the shark chomping on the back. Or possibly the shark on the front and the little girl's career aspirations on the back.

thetimman

Postby thetimman » Tue May 19, 2009 10:42 am UTC

At least the shark didn't have FRIKKIN' LASERS...

Then we'd all have to add mirror suits to our defense kit.

Dlaten

Postby Dlaten » Tue May 19, 2009 11:04 am UTC

It explains the possibility of the 12th frame in http://xkcd.com/445/

Throtex

Postby Throtex » Tue May 19, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

A good scientist always knows where his microscope and Erlenmeyer flask is. Even when being chased by a shark.

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Tue May 19, 2009 1:28 pm UTC

miggit999 wrote:What happened to the third scientist? Did the shark eat him?
Yes, yes it did.
useless whelp wrote:I think you guys are overlooking an even better marine life experiment. Fill a Portuguese man-of-war with helium, and it will float!(I think?) You might need a very small needle or the man-of-war will pop. Then get a bucket full of them and drop them off a skyscraper. Raining jellyfish, anyone?
I'm almost certain that's impossible, but I wish it wasn't, because floating jellies would be awesome. Great for a sea-based supervillain.
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

Godskalken

Postby Godskalken » Tue May 19, 2009 2:33 pm UTC

Hey, I finally figured out what wolfram|alpha is for:
How large must the helium ballon be?

http://www65.wolframalpha.com/input/?i= ... ters%29%29

It took me forever to figure out how to phrase that so that wolfram would understand though. And it refused to do the cm^3->m^3 conversion automatically. But, hey!

Jourdy289

Postby Jourdy289 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:48 pm UTC

dennisw wrote:
Jourdy289 wrote:No, to tag a shark, it can stay out of the water for a few minutes without getting hurt.
I'm an aquarist (google it!) and I've heard of fish that jumped out of their tanks and managed to stay alive for quite some while...[*]
Also, Bettas (see http://theaquariumwiki.com/Betta_splendens ) are capable of breathing atmospheric O2

[*]OK, I always wanted to test the footnote feature :mrgreen: there was this one woman I read about who had a reedfish jump his aquarium one night, and she found him rather stiff by morning.... she put him in the aquarium, and a few hours later, it was swimming again :!:[/*]

EDIT: Do these stupid (no offense Randy) little footnote tags work? or am I being a noob again...?

The [*] is for list items.

• shark repellent
  • speargun
  • crossbow
  • ice cream
  • sun screen
  • blindfold
  • footnotes*
  • lab coat
  • goggles

* Of the do-it-yourself variety

Ah, thank you.
Dlaten wrote:
duckshirt wrote:Yeah, best win in a while.
Dlaten wrote:As for the alternate text, which is implausible? A shark floating over dry land or a young girl wanting to be a scientist?
¡This cheese is burning me!, he never stops trying to encourage gender equality in science...

That was not really a slam against women, although a jokes against scientists. A young boy would probably prefer to be a football player or a basketball player instead of something as awesome as a scientist. As per any belief that I may be sexist I would like to point out that I remember and fear the consequences on http://xkcd.com/322/

By the way, you are the first person to call me cheese. That caught me by surprise.

Or this:
Imagehttp://xkcd.com/342/

KyrieEleison wrote:
Xenobiologista wrote:
spirov92 wrote:
KyrieEleison wrote:First raptors, now sharks. Is there any animal which Randall will not cause us to fear (completely rationally, of course)?

There is no way he'd make us fear cats. When close to a cat we become too stupid to fear even raptors.

Cuttlefish, you forgot cuttlefish.

Yeah, I did... though, do you think that, as I'm not a physicist (I'm an English major), I'll survive the cuttlefish armageddon?

Oh, and I don't need Randall to fear cats. My own adorable Zoe has me plenty afraid on her own, as the scratches on my toes can attest.

I still love this one:
Cut your clothes to fit your body, and not the other way around!
http://thestuffiread.blogspot.com -Book Blog http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk5_48953 -Want to play Travian? Sign up here!

VNVKingdom

Postby VNVKingdom » Tue May 19, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

Figures that after I saw this I went on to read about a Megawatt laser project, with an idea even more terrifying and hilarious than flying sharks:

"We almost forgot to mention the obvious FEL cranial-mount application for sharks. The great problem here, apart from likely weight and waterproofing issues with the laser itself, is of course the lack of any serious electrical supplies onboard the average shark. Megawatt range (several thousand horsepower) snorkel diesels would presumably be OK, as the shark would only be able to use its laser with its head out of the water anyway. One has to say, though, that this system would really be more like a raygun U-boat with a largely gratuitous shark attached."
...To make in hell for us a heaven...

If we're talking cause and effect here, it might be that being a spiteful vindictive bastard with a mild personality disorder might attract you to IT, as opposed to IT making you that way.

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Tue May 19, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

Amarsir wrote:What if instead of attaching a helium tank, (which would be a bit unweildy), they build a device for hydrolysis. The shark's underwater anyway, so just split off some Hydrogen. That has the benefit of being less dense as well, for greater buoyancy. Of course then we have battery issues...

it would require 100/~22 ≈4m of H2
to produce this you need (13.4+2.2)kj/g * 18g/mol *4m = 1.12Mj
using the most dense energy capacitor 5.7M/l would require just 0.20L
a typical pressurized container for a gas will contain 400*its volume and thus require 0.25L.

However there is less to go wrong with pressurized helium than electrolysis to produce hydrogen. All of this completely ignores reality
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Tue May 19, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Xbehave wrote:
Amarsir wrote:What if instead of attaching a helium tank, (which would be a bit unweildy), they build a device for hydrolysis. The shark's underwater anyway, so just split off some Hydrogen. That has the benefit of being less dense as well, for greater buoyancy. Of course then we have battery issues...

it would require 100/~22 ≈4m of H2
to produce this you need (13.4+2.2)kj/g * 18g/mol *4m = 1.12Mj
using the most dense energy capacitor 5.7M/l would require just 0.20L
a typical pressurized container for a gas will contain 400*its volume and thus require 0.25L.

However there is less to go wrong with pressurized helium than electrolysis to produce hydrogen. All of this completely ignores reality
Is Amarsir secretly George Lucas?
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

MuToiD_MaN

Postby MuToiD_MaN » Tue May 19, 2009 9:23 pm UTC

slobrummer wrote:
Troger64 wrote:

its a gorilla

I've seen that one, but I'm talking about a similar one with similar style drawing.

Fools. It's Haggar from the game Final Fight performing his Pile Driver on a big shark.

ĉiam veti sur Duke

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Wed May 20, 2009 3:07 am UTC

Godskalken wrote:Hey, I finally figured out what wolfram|alpha is for:
How large must the helium ballon be?

http://www65.wolframalpha.com/input/?i= ... ters%29%29

It took me forever to figure out how to phrase that so that wolfram would understand though. And it refused to do the cm^3->m^3 conversion automatically. But, hey!

Except that it gives a rather large answer... 2068 m^3. Apparently Wolfram thinks the typical weight of a maneater shark is 2268 kg. Wikipedia says "A typical adult great white shark ... has a mass of 680–1,100 kilograms", so this seems extreme. Using bull sharks as previously suggested (Wiki: "Bull sharks are large and stout. Males can reach 2.1 m (6 ft 11 in) and weigh 91 kg (200 lb). Females can be much larger:up to 4 m (13 ft 1 in)[13] and 318 kg (700 lb).") would help - if we take a male bull shark we can get away with, say, 85kg as the weight, so we'd only need 77.5 m^3 of helium at atmospheric pressure.

Though when I tried Alpha with a bull shark, it promptly substituted a Swan River whaler and gave me a range of 82.05 to 209.7 m^3. Amusingly, it gave me an option to use a Bluntnose six-gill shark instead, but when I tried it, the result was "Insufficient data available".

In any case, the helium still has to be pretty amazingly pressurised to fit in that little tag. And it does raise the question of why the scientists would be putting enough helium in the tags to lift the entire shark rather than merely enough to lift the tag. Any tags that do pop out properly aren't going to be landing for a long time.

EndWggn

Postby EndWggn » Wed May 20, 2009 4:04 am UTC

zdrawingmaster wrote:Just think if they did this with the raptors from Jurassic Park. Flying raptors! aaaaagghhhhh!

That's what Tremors is for. :twisted:
Was that the third or second movie that they could fly?

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Wed May 20, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

EndWggn wrote:
zdrawingmaster wrote:Just think if they did this with the raptors from Jurassic Park. Flying raptors! aaaaagghhhhh!

That's what Tremors is for. :twisted:
Was that the third or second movie that they could fly?

Must have been the third, as I've seen the first two and there wasn't any flight, though they did get somewhat smarter in no.2

Me & my buds have forever sworn off Tremors III for the same reasons as Smokey & the Bandit III and Matrix Revolutions. Some things were just not meant for the consumption of mortal men and are instead cursed artefacts escaped from an outer circle of hell.
(particularly S&TB3 in that no original cast return except for one guy who was originally a supporting actor... you can actually feel the suck radiating from it through the disc laminate, box, label, AND cellophane...)

Xenobiologista

Postby Xenobiologista » Wed May 20, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

kaedra wrote:I find this strip to be utterly realistic, but that may be because I read "Jurassic Park" at an impressionable age and subsequently became a molecular biologist. (Still working on those raptors, though.)
If reconstituting a vertebrate-sized genome from tens-of-million-year-old, heavily contaminated samples sounds realistic to you - not to mention putting it back into a cell and restoring it to a pluripotent embryonic state and sticking the whole can o' worms into an appropriately-sized egg - your lab must be a lot more awesome than mine :lol:

If we're gonna get raptors I think the reverse-engineering method of making them out of chickens would be a lot more doable. Besides, I like chickens.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Wed May 20, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

Is anyone else confused as to why the data gathering tracker-mo-jig found its way back to the scientists despite the setup for the comic saying that these devices would -not- be making it back to the scientists (without being mailed)? Or for that matter, why them being attacked by the attached shark would make a girl want to be a scientist? How many people aspire to being attacked by deadly creatures?

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Thu May 21, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Kalos wrote:Is anyone else confused as to why the data gathering tracker-mo-jig found its way back to the scientists despite the setup for the comic saying that these devices would -not- be making it back to the scientists (without being mailed)? Or for that matter, why them being attacked by the attached shark would make a girl want to be a scientist? How many people aspire to being attacked by deadly creatures?

Try reading the rest of the thread...

On the first point, the most plausible argument raised was that it wouldn't have been as funny otherwise. Other hypotheses were that perhaps the tag had popped out almost imediately (but there's a panel intervening that seems to show a significant amount of travel by the shark), or that the tag / balloon had homing gear installed (in which case they wouldn't need to have them mailed in).

On the second point, there are many possible reasons. Perhaps she wanted to work on flying shark defences (or bat-shark-repellent). Conversely, perhaps she wanted to work on the next stage of flying shark development (presumably mounting cranial lasers). Perhaps she's Bindi Irwin.

Schema

Postby Schema » Fri May 22, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

This immediately reminded me of "The Shark in Charlie's Window":

http://www.amazon.com/shark-Charlies-wi ... B00070VZ6Q

One of my favorite books as a kid.

Claren

Postby Claren » Sat May 23, 2009 7:07 am UTC

Am I the only one who loves this strip, but thinks it would have been vastly improved if Randall had omitted the Shark's eyes (the way he does with every living thing that normally have them) ?

cynicalbastard

Postby cynicalbastard » Wed May 27, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

but... What is the average airspeed of a great white shark?
Poo-tee-weet?

ooloi

Postby ooloi » Wed May 27, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

It's like a bad combination of "Deep Blue Sea" and a Bond movie.....

"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die..."

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Thu May 28, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

cynicalbastard wrote:but... What is the average airspeed of a great white shark?

Must I? Oh, well, since no one else has... African or European?
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

ErixTheRed

Re: 0585: "Outreach"

Postby ErixTheRed » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

Anybody else think of this comic when they saw the DQ commercial with the "Heart-shaped ballons with sharks attached to them"?

mago

Postby mago » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

This is why science is awesome:
Floating sharks and shark-repellants.

VanLeeroy

Postby VanLeeroy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

mago wrote:This is why science is awesome:
Floating sharks and shark-repellants.

:lol: nice remark)

brandtsound

Postby brandtsound » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

So, while it isn't a REAL shark, ThinkGeek has a flying shark for sale:

Air Swimmers Flying R/C Sea Life

Enjoy responsibly! :D
~ brandtsound, inc. ~

jpers36

Postby jpers36 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:01 pm UTC

Plutarch

Postby Plutarch » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

No helium balloons, but flying sharks nonetheless. A tornado full of them. Sharknado, on Syfy.

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Plutarch wrote:No helium balloons, but flying sharks nonetheless. A tornado full of them. Sharknado, on Syfy.

Oh god... if this is half as good as Sharktopus, I'm in for a treat.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”