0246: "Labyrinth Puzzle"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
vrek
pigasm!
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:49 pm UTC

Postby vrek » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:50 pm UTC

Ok, now heres a question, according to the alt text all the doors lead to inprisonment. So assuming you figured out who is the truth teller(there are many methods already posted to do this) and you ask him which door to go through to reach the goal what would he say?
He can't say his, the stabby guy or the liar's doors because they all go to inprisonment so none of those would be true. SO he would have say some other way to get to the goal but if thats the case(that there is an easier method to get to the goal) whats the point in asking the guards anyways? Also since in the comic if an open area with no other doors (just a lot of walls) and you asked "Which DOOR to go through" with no other doors the easiest method has to be a non-door-ed-off path which in turn makes all answeres to you question lies which is impossible for the truth teller to say. So WHAT WOULD HE DO?

User avatar
OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:08 am UTC
Contact:

Postby OmenPigeon » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:35 pm UTC

vrek wrote: So WHAT WOULD HE DO?


Bask in the glow of having solved the puzzle. It doesn't matter if solving the puzzle doesn't get him out of the maze. He solved it. He won.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

User avatar
vrek
pigasm!
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:49 pm UTC

Postby vrek » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:48 pm UTC

OmenPigeon wrote:
vrek wrote: So WHAT WOULD HE DO?


Bask in the glow of having solved the puzzle. It doesn't matter if solving the puzzle doesn't get him out of the maze. He solved it. He won.


I meant the truth telling guy the the hero.

Alan
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

Postby Alan » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:37 am UTC

Walk up to one of the guards, and make it appear as though you are listening to a whispered remark. Then say more loudly than necessary, "Sorry, what was that? You wanted to know whether, if that guard was the one that always told the truth, whether I would ask one of the other guards as to which door the stabbing guard would tell me you would direct me to?" Then wait.


That sounds like a particularly tricky question. Stab, stab.

Fieari
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:16 am UTC
Location: Okayama, Japan

Postby Fieari » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:32 pm UTC

You guys seem to assume that the stabby guard only stabs people who ask HIM tricky questions. The hat guy has clearly stated that he stabs people who ask (anybody) tricky questions.
Surely it is as ridiculous to consider sqrt(-1) "imaginary" because you can't use it to count pieces of chalk as to consider the number 200 imaginary because by itself it cannot express the location of one point with reference to another. -Isaac Asimov

User avatar
J Spade
Luppoewagan
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:56 pm UTC
Location: Up a creek without a paddle
Contact:

Postby J Spade » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:12 pm UTC

beinsane wrote:One book of puzzles I had contained a puzzle in which you visit a desert island whose natives belong to various tribes, one of which always tells the truth, one of which always lies, one of which alternates, one of which doesn't speak at all except to chime in with a sarcastic aside, etc.

You're at the crossroads and you're trying to reach the Tower of Something, and you're only allowed to ask the natives one question not knowing which tribes they belong to.

The solution given was: "Ignore the natives. It's the only tower on the island. Look up."


ROFL

User avatar
bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢
Posts: 3137
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:27 pm UTC
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Postby bbctol » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:17 pm UTC

What if you ask one of them "What would you say if you were the other one?" and they say "I wouldn't tell you to fuck off!"? Muahaha!

...
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:53 am UTC
Location: Low Earth Orbit.

Postby ... » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:10 pm UTC

This puzzle is easy. Just walk though a door, ignore the guards entirely. If it doesn't lead anywhere or you find signs of booby traps, go back and try another one. When none of them lead anywhere, you can search for a way out elsewhere. That door in the background looks promising.

Alternately, abandoning logic altogether, the fact that the guards let you through the doors means they all of them are almost certainly traps, so avoid them.

User avatar
spambot
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:36 pm UTC

Postby spambot » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

Why do people think that the 2-guard case has been solved?

Logician: What would the other guard say if I asked him?

Guard1: He'd say you were in the wrong labyrinth entirely.
Guard2: I don't know.

L: What's 2+2?

G1: I've been instructed not to answer that question.
G2: I'll yell the answer after you go through one of the doors.

If it were my labyrinth, I'd also add the slight complication of having the guards attack you while you are trying to ask the questions.

oreth
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:19 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby oreth » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
athelas wrote:By the time [our hero, Oreth


O.O

::blink blink::

That was the name of one of my longest running D&D characters. And the only one to make the jump from tabletop to electronic roleplaying.

Along with "Belial", "Gabby", and "Hoshi", that's one of the four names aside from my own that I'll respond to without thinking.

That was a wierd moment, reading that.


You think it was weird.

I find it even weirder that my Longest Standing D&D character (upto 7 years now) and online moniker is used here, by yourself, and myself is even stranger.

I created this account merely to say that.

User avatar
morjax
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:00 pm UTC
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota

Postby morjax » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:11 pm UTC

Yu-chan wrote:did he knock you out with his spandex camel hump?


I'm diggin' the codpiece

User avatar
jeszjesz
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:01 am UTC
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: "Labyrinth Puzzle" Discussion

Postby jeszjesz » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:21 am UTC

You need four questions, but at least none of them will get you stabbed:
Ask each one "will you stab me if I ask a tricky question?" <- see, NOT a tricky question.
Whichever guard answers "no", ask them which door leads out.

This also solves the problem of none of the obvious three doors leading out - the honest guard will have to walk all the way through the maze to the real door that leads out. Or, if no doors lead out, you can stab HIM for getting your hopes up. Jerk.
"My heart is nothing more than an engine forged from the remnants of a dead star" - Kimiko Ross (Dresden Codak - Anagoge Starring Tiny Carl Jung)

boarderx1313
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:01 am UTC

Re: "Labyrinth Puzzle" Discussion

Postby boarderx1313 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:08 am UTC

jeszjesz wrote:You need four questions, but at least none of them will get you stabbed:
Ask each one "will you stab me if I ask a tricky question?" <- see, NOT a tricky question.
Whichever guard answers "no", ask them which door leads out.


You're very close, but you make one assumption that is not necessarily true, which is that the stabbing guard also always tells the truth. What you have to do is ask all three of them that question. If you get two "yes" responses, the one "no" response is the truthful guard. If you get two "no" responses, the one "yes" response is the lying guard, who you can then question to find the truthful guard, keeping in mind that his answers are lies.

User avatar
jeszjesz
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:01 am UTC
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: "Labyrinth Puzzle" Discussion

Postby jeszjesz » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:32 am UTC

Well, I guess that's not the only assumption:
Nowhere is it stated that the stabby guard will actually answer questions at all, in fact it appears that none of the guards are obliged to answer any of your questions.
The honest and dishonest guards also have spears and appear under no obligation to refrain from stabbing you too, and all three may stab you for other reasons not explicitly stated.
Lastly, all three appear to be human - tricky, dangerous creatures best avoided. Much better to try to find your own way out.
"My heart is nothing more than an engine forged from the remnants of a dead star" - Kimiko Ross (Dresden Codak - Anagoge Starring Tiny Carl Jung)

boarderx1313
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:01 am UTC

Re: "Labyrinth Puzzle" Discussion

Postby boarderx1313 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:33 am UTC

jeszjesz wrote:Well, I guess that's not the only assumption:
Nowhere is it stated that the stabby guard will actually answer questions at all, in fact it appears that none of the guards are obliged to answer any of your questions.
The honest and dishonest guards also have spears and appear under no obligation to refrain from stabbing you too, and all three may stab you for other reasons not explicitly stated.
Lastly, all three appear to be human - tricky, dangerous creatures best avoided. Much better to try to find your own way out.


excellent answer

User avatar
'; DROP DATABASE;--
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am UTC
Location: Midwest Alberta, where it's STILL snowy
Contact:

Re:

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:33 am UTC

vrek wrote:Ok, now heres a question, according to the alt text all the doors lead to inprisonment. So assuming you figured out who is the truth teller(there are many methods already posted to do this) and you ask him which door to go through to reach the goal what would he say?
He can't say his, the stabby guy or the liar's doors because they all go to inprisonment so none of those would be true. SO he would have say some other way to get to the goal but if thats the case(that there is an easier method to get to the goal) whats the point in asking the guards anyways? Also since in the comic if an open area with no other doors (just a lot of walls) and you asked "Which DOOR to go through" with no other doors the easiest method has to be a non-door-ed-off path which in turn makes all answeres to you question lies which is impossible for the truth teller to say. So WHAT WOULD HE DO?
"None of them."
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

User avatar
Insanity's Partner
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:17 am UTC
Location: Opposite-Florida

Re: "Labyrinth Puzzle" Discussion

Postby Insanity's Partner » Tue May 19, 2009 2:40 am UTC

"Right, so if I asked you if you would let me by, would your answer be the same as this question?"

*stab*

"AHH! You bastard! You stabbed me in the ear? Who does that?!"
Dead Like Me: (n.) [ded lajk mi:] Firefly for people who excel at not giving a shit.

User avatar
roderik
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:16 pm UTC
Location: Below sealevel

Re: "Labyrinth Puzzle" Discussion

Postby roderik » Tue May 19, 2009 3:22 pm UTC

and then there was another version of this puzzle I once saw, with an entirely different solution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fasaXIR66tE&feature=related

Jof16's
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:08 pm UTC

Re: 0246: "Labyrinth Puzzle"

Postby Jof16's » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:23 am UTC

Sorry to bring this back after so long. But...

If you can ask each guard one question, then ask them what color your skin is. The one that always lies will obviously lie, the one that always tells the truth will tell the truth (again, obviously) and the one that stabs people won't stab you because it's not a trick question.

This only works if the guard that always lies guards the door to nowhere (or death, your preference) and the guard that always tells the truth guards the door out that leads out (barring the alt text, of course).


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hetas and 36 guests