0594: "Period"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Tongtong

Re: "Period" Discussion

Postby Tongtong » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

haha that made me laugh lots. Then i had to work it out to see if it actually was 413nano hertz :)

Draconova

Postby Draconova » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

So every time I try this, I keep getting the response, well it varies 28 days is ideal. So good luck everyone saving up to use this line. Hope you're a good comedian on your feet.

Alastriona

Postby Alastriona » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:05 pm UTC

Surprised no one has added in "in popular culture" section on wikipedia yet. :P

super_aardvark

Postby super_aardvark » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:18 pm UTC

dennisw wrote:
delusion wrote:There's this girl with a tattoo on her uteruslower abdomen

I wonder what the tattoos on her kidneys look like.

Don't be silly, a kidney tattoo would require major invasive surgery! A uterus tattoo just requires a tattoo artist with very small hands.

Just think... your kid could learn to read before it learns to breathe!

Spoiler:
Ok, ok, unless it's immediately after childbirth, it's really gonna require an endoscopic tattoo machine.

iabervon

Postby iabervon » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

I love references to frequencies less than 1 Hz, although (like the Cure), I'm most fond of 1.65 uHz.

It doesn't actually make sense to say someone's at 413 nHz. The frequency is constant (assuming they're regular); the thing that changes over time is the phase. "She's getting close to 2 pi." probably makes the most sense.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Jay-qu wrote:nano hurts, so I presume it doesnt hurt that much... :P

Ok, this was funnier than the original.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

iabervon wrote:I love references to frequencies less than 1 Hz, although (like the Cure), I'm most fond of 1.65 uHz.

Ok, you puzzled me. It's not 17 Seconds. It's not One Hundred Years. The only relevant data my calculations came up (if they're right) with was 7 days... Friday I'm in Love?

Applesauce

Postby Applesauce » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

This set off all my "Oh me yarm sexism" alarms. The pun was decently clever (though I saw it coming from panel two), but why is the girl offscreen and invisible for the whole thing? The joke is made at her expense, and she's literally being exploited for the sake of a juvenile pun. NOT COOL.

Maybe if she had been turning her own pain into a physics joke, instead of being the subject of a physics joke made by a man (so many levels of wrong! Honestly, Randall, I thought you were more aware of this stuff), it would've been okay. Female readers could identify with her and take some enjoyment out of their next periods because of it. Oh but wait, I forgot--women are so totally incapacitated by their periods that they can't get off the couch to appear in the comic, much less think about physics. That's why they shouldn't run for president or be entrusted with anything important--you don't want a menstruating woman to have access to the doomsday button. Right.

Screw you, Randall Munroe.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:54 pm UTC

Applesauce wrote:This set off all my "Oh me yarm sexism" alarms. The pun was decently clever (though I saw it coming from panel two), but why is the girl offscreen and invisible for the whole thing? The joke is made at her expense, and she's literally being exploited for the sake of a juvenile pun. NOT COOL.

Maybe if she had been turning her own pain into a physics joke, instead of being the subject of a physics joke made by a man (so many levels of wrong! Honestly, Randall, I thought you were more aware of this stuff), it would've been okay. Female readers could identify with her and take some enjoyment out of their next periods because of it. Oh but wait, I forgot--women are so totally incapacitated by their periods that they can't get off the couch to appear in the comic, much less think about physics. That's why they shouldn't run for president or be entrusted with anything important--you don't want a menstruating woman to have access to the doomsday button. Right.

Umm - maybe she's inserting a tampon? But your right, next comic a female should make fun of a males period.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

wlao wrote:
tehol wrote:EDIT: Also, I am disappointed that no one has directly tried a 'get out of my vagina randall'

THAT would've made the comic, XD

I don't think Randall's mother is reading this forum...

Well played, good sir.

SocialSceneRepairman wrote:
Zorlin wrote:This happened to my girlfriend once!

If it's not happening to your girlfriend on a regular basis, you might be in trouble.

...Oh.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:52 pm UTC

Applesauce wrote:This set off all my "Oh me yarm sexism" alarms. The pun was decently clever (though I saw it coming from panel two), but why is the girl offscreen and invisible for the whole thing? The joke is made at her expense, and she's literally being exploited for the sake of a juvenile pun. NOT COOL.

Hm... I would like to say that I really dont believe Randall meant it at all like that.. Seriously, if he makes a joke at a females expense, it isnt the end of the world, and you should be able to take a joke. Im a girl. Have periods. I laughed at this. Im sure eventually he'll make some sort of joke about a boy. I know there already have been some.

Anyways, just dont blow up over a comic. It isnt womens-rights fest.

Thank you.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Shotglass

Postby Shotglass » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

was anyone else thinking of this classic dilbert after reading todays strip?

delusion

Postby delusion » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

Batman7 wrote:
delusion wrote:I have been trying to figure out a puzzle for a few days now which I think is another math-language pun. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

There's this girl with a tattoo on her uterus [ slightly NSFW, PG-13: http://torgo.spleens.net/skankmatics.jpg ]

The closest I have come to rendering it properly in wolfram alpha is this:

[ http://www59.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=F+ln+(W)+integral+from+-+infinity+to+T+W^x+dx+%3D+28 ]

We've confirmed a few things: the integral from/to are correct (T to negative infinity), the exponent on W is correct. And we're pretty sure from conversation that W represents a lowercase omega, but we're not positive.

I swear, if this is just a slightly more obtuse version of "period-hertz" I may be sick.

I am curious as well, let me know if you figure it out. It looks like it simplifies ot F*w^t if that helps at all.

I think you misunderstand me, sir. The goal here is that, since I am at the end of my rope with this, I paste the above into an XKCD thread about what I suspect is an incredibly similar joke, and some handy mathemagician comes along and figures it out for me, and you get to see it happen.

Get on it!

squig

Postby squig » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

Alastriona wrote:Surprised no one has added in "in popular culture" section on wikipedia yet. :P

Or on this article.

ethereal_fire

Postby ethereal_fire » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

Speaking as a woman, who has had that immobilizing pain many times before, I still found this funny. Maybe thats just because I appreciate the bluntness of people directly talking about mentration uterous cramps and not trying to skirt around it with code words like "moontime" or "aunty flo" and other rediculous stuff.
(Or maybe its just that I'm the kinda nut who would do something like calcuating that frequency for her self). I'm one to directly say that I hate my uterous at times, and I found the pun funny. Though I feel obligated to point out the assumption of 28 day as standard. For the majority of woman, this figure is not correct at all. My uterous-hertz is would be uncalculatable I'd have to do a range (whats the calcuation for variation between 3 weeks and 3 months?)

Honestly though, not sexist, just funny. It happens to all (or most) women, so take some time to laugh at it, and identify with the comic and the feeling of wanting to kill insensitive people. (I can appreciate the humor of my own pain at time and you'll notice that the guy isn't avoiding her as if she has the plague as some guys do, I'd say he's trying to lift her spirits...)

*shrug* Just my 2 cents worth.
Be precise. Be creative. Be courageous. Be shameless. Be GISHWHES.

Iridos

Postby Iridos » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

VHBT wrote:
SaNE wrote:I've missed something here...
413 nHz? I'm getting 2.4 micro.

28 days is 2419200 seconds, and 1/2419200 is 4.13 x 10^-7.
I think you were using minutes, not seconds. Try dividing your number by 60.

Your google-fu is still weak, grasshopper.
Take that:

http://www.google.com/#q=1%2F(28+days)++in++nanohertz

I

Arpy

Postby Arpy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

This reminds me of the time my math teacher asked "And the [trig] function's period is...?" and I blurted out "28 days!" Nobody laughed, but maybe I didn't say it loudly enough. Maybe.
In bed.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:43 am UTC

What, nobody yet mentioned the "Hertz Doughnut" ?

(Just in case anybody thought Randall made this pun up all on his own)
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Syphon

Postby Syphon » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am UTC

Would you like some french cries with your whaaaamburger?

iceberg

Postby iceberg » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:59 am UTC

Alastriona wrote:Surprised no one has added in "in popular culture" section on wikipedia yet. :P

:wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Period_(physics)#External_links

(last link by the way)
}{}{}{}{}{
you put your mouth on that, and your not even wearing any underwear

Red Chili

Postby Red Chili » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:26 am UTC

iceberg wrote:

(last link by the way)

Reported vandalism.

iceberg

Postby iceberg » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:42 am UTC

Red Chili wrote:
iceberg wrote:

(last link by the way)

Reported vandalism.

not the first time either... :twisted:
}{}{}{}{}{
you put your mouth on that, and your not even wearing any underwear

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:50 am UTC

Applesauce wrote:That's why they shouldn't run for president or be entrusted with anything important--you don't want a menstruating woman to have access to the doomsday button. Right.
"A woman president? But what if she menstruates all over some important legislation?" You can thank The Onion for that one.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Red Chili

Postby Red Chili » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:02 am UTC

iceberg wrote:
Red Chili wrote:
iceberg wrote:

(last link by the way)

Reported vandalism.

not the first time either... :twisted:

No wonder no one likes Wikipedia, what with all these douchebag vandals ruining it and all.

mft2503

Postby mft2503 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:21 am UTC

You need error-bars.

Xenobiologista

Postby Xenobiologista » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:21 am UTC

Old joke...some kid in the pre-matriculation physics course my dad taught 30 years ago said something similar.
Pa: (writing out problem) ...and how long is the period?
Boy: Twenty-eight days, sir!
Girls: (dying of embarrassment (this was in Malaysia and for some of them, the first time they were in a co-ed class.))

Although the uterus-hertz part was funny. And not that it really needs to be said, but in reply to Applesauce above: STOP WHINING. If you read xkcd regularly surely you must have noticed that the bulk of the comics containing female characters are overwhelmingly woman-positive (I believe that's the current buzzword). And yes, I have XX-chromosome credentials like you and ethereal_fire.

As for Wikipedia vandalism - if you don't have anything useful to contribute don't friggin' contribute anything. In case you don't remember, wood. If you really feel the need to tell the whole world how funny it is, email the Museum of Menstruation guy (yes, the webmaster/founder of that website is male), it can go on the jokes page.

ukaberry

Postby ukaberry » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:20 am UTC

The joke is made at her expense, and she's literally being exploited for the sake of a juvenile pun.

Well, honestly, who do you expect to be the butt of the joke in this one? The oh-so-many men with uteruses?

I actually had a bad case of the uterus-hertz as I read the comic. Still found it funny.

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:56 am UTC

Also, does this really count as a physics pun? Frequency has a lot of applications outside physics, and it's pretty much always measured in hertz...it almost seems like calling a joke on the word "meter" a physics pun.

Kaijyuu

Postby Kaijyuu » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:11 am UTC

There was no sexism in this comic. Any you found you created yourself.

Stop contributing to the problem.
The cake is a lie, but truth is in Pi.

super_aardvark

Postby super_aardvark » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

Kaijyuu wrote:There was no sexism in this comic. Any you found you created yourself.

This can be generalized to "There was no X in this Y. Any you found you created yourself." You might be amazed, if you really think about it, how often this holds true. 'Course, I always find it's a lot easier to see it that way when "you" isn't me.

ManHadn't

Postby ManHadn't » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:06 pm UTC

Every time I visit the forums, I re-read the comic.

And I just now realized the pun. :roll:
These people here, they're so lazy
They stay inside and watch... shows
You chose
Not to be one of those
But you still don't know
How the good life goes

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:15 pm UTC

super_aardvark wrote:This can be generalized to "There was no X in this Y. Any you found you created yourself."

Wouldn't it be "There was no XY in this XX?"
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

delusion

Postby delusion » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

Luke: What's in there?
Yoda: Only what you take with you.

Dew_N_O

Postby Dew_N_O » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

Kaijyuu wrote:There was no sexism in this comic. Any you found you created yourself.

Maybe. Or maybe you're just not attuned to the sexism that the poster sees. Either possibility makes sense. And if the latter is true, then you are the one downplaying sexism and therefore contributing to the problem. What then?

ymak

Postby ymak » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

And beats are the manifestation of PMS?

I suppose it bears mentioning that I'm a girl and a high school physics student and was on my own lovely time of the month when this posted--so I thought it was hilarious. For a webcomic of romance, sarcasm and math, it was very fitting. -applauds-
DISCLAIMER: The above post was made by a high school physics student.

The attraction between two bodies is inversely proportional to the distance squared... so maybe you'd like me better if I sat a little closer.

sulleric

Postby sulleric » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

Sometimes I'm disappointed in how little understanding some people have of this style of humor (*ahem, applesauce*). This comic is riddled with bad puns and double meanings, but in the best way possible. I read this yesterday when I was with my girlfriend, and I had to interrupt her reading to show it to her. It's pretty much the most hilarious and relevant comic I've read in a long time, especially considering that I met her in a college physics class last semester where I bedazzled her with my intuitive knowledge of harmonic motion and sound, and the sarcastic/ironic nature of the guy's joke at the girl's expense is exactly the kind of humor that makes us like each other so much. When she told me she spent three quarters of an hour waiting in line at the DMV, I told her that was a lie because women don't understand fractions. She thought it was hilarious.

I've been an XKCD fan for many years and an occasional board-lurker, but after seeing the disapproval of this comic I had to register just to show my support. Thank you Randall for being awesome, and although I know it doesn't need to be said, please don't ever change to appeal to the unfortunately vocal section of your fan base that apparently thinks you should.

EDIT: I also wanted to comment on someone else's post saying something about menstruation not fitting into a sine wave (but too lazy to find it and quote it)... the term "Hertz" or "cycles per second" doesn't apply strictly to sine waves, but to any cyclic function. You could express the frequency of a stoplight (assuming its not based on a sensor) in Hertz, or even a heartbeat.
Last edited by sulleric on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

wlao

Postby wlao » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

This discussion is becoming really serious, so I guess that's why my brain suddenly reminded me of an old saying:
"Never trust a person who can bleed for five days without dying."
I'm not saying that it is a good one, full of visdom and such. I'm just saying...

delusion

Postby delusion » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

Dew_N_O wrote:

Maybe. Or maybe you're just not attuned to the sexism that the poster sees. Either possibility makes sense. And if the latter is true, then you are the one downplaying sexism and therefore contributing to the problem. What then?

Or maybe there's such a thing as being oversensitive. Maybe it's possible that just because there is some way to take offense at a thing, that sometimes it has a lot more to do with the audience than the author. Maybe it's possible that everything doesn't have to become a textual deconstruction where what the author means is less relevant to how it makes you feel.

Maybe it's actually just possible that we can take context and intent into account and not turn this into a drum-circle therapy where everyone has an obligation to express a flood of emotions that aren't actually relevant to most peoples' experience of the joke. Maybe we can skip group session today.

nka

Postby nka » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

I have a uterus hertz and I approve of this comic.

captHij

Postby captHij » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

Tongtong wrote:haha that made me laugh lots. Then i had to work it out to see if it actually was 413nano hertz :)

Ihave to admint that it took me a while to get the pun. I just saw hertz and focused on the frequency. The really sad thing is that I initially thought that the number was off by a factor of 2*Pi.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”