0604: "Qwertial Aphasia"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Scyphozoa

Re: "Qwertial Aphasia" Discussion

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

Max2009 wrote:Randall, get outta my head!!

I just got a college paper back, and I got a decent grade on it, but in the markup there was a red underline in the sentence:

It is also true of a graph with k+1 nodes. Since in each case that the graph gets bigger, there are 2 cuts: the MST and the additional pineapple.

See, my roommate had just come back from the store, and he had bought a pineapple. So I was in the middle of saying "what are you going to do with a pineapple?" and lost five points on my paper.

I'm surprised nobody's said it yet:

"Well, that's not so surprising, after all pineapple does sort of sound like pylons."
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

This happens to me pretty often. Similar thing also happens when I'm just speaking, because sometimes I'm already mentally in another part of the sentence I'm saying, and create accidental portmanteaux. Sometimes I even mix a word with it's synonym, like I couldn't decide which word to use. Funny and a bit annoying at the same time.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

While giraffes are really cute as cuddly toys. I am worried that there is one in the woman's closet. It's a bad sign.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:16 pm UTC

Rhombus wrote:Is nobody else bothered by this yet another mention of cunnilingus?

Frankly, it's getting a licking old.

Maybe there's going to be a new phrase added to romance,
sarcasm, math, and language.

InfamousAnarchist

Postby InfamousAnarchist » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

Ubik wrote:This happens to me pretty often. Similar thing also happens when I'm just speaking, because sometimes I'm already mentally in another part of the sentence I'm saying, and create accidental portmanteaux. Sometimes I even mix a word with it's synonym, like I couldn't decide which word to use. Funny and a bit annoying at the same time.

I'm pretty sure that when I do this, I'm just trying to be pretentious. I'll say "difficult" when I mean "hard" (like a diamond). I think my brain is just trying to use big words for the sake of big words.

I'm such a douche.
sever every leg
amanda palmer please come home please

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

InfamousAnarchist wrote:I'll say "difficult" when I mean "hard" (like a diamond).
By mixing I meant, for example, situations where both "difficult" and "hard" are appropriate words and then I say "hafficult." Though, now that I think about it, I occasionally might be saying things in your way too.

araveugnitsuga

Postby araveugnitsuga » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

skordge wrote:Very good one!

On a slightly related note, I know an economics professor who has a disorder that prevents him typing/writing out things correctly (dyslexia, if I'm not wrong, but not sure). He does notice this after he typed/wrote it out. He uses Debian, and seeing him type out commands in the shell is just demonic: "taptaptaptaptap oh taptaptaptaptaptap wrong again taptaptaptaptap DAMN!", and so on.

I have dyslexia and astigmatism, plus Qwertial aphasia and it wasn't that bad when using Debian but, when handwritting for Spanish Literature things got really ugly, my prblem was mainly transcribing without glasses while talking to my mother about why I took Spanish Literature, a completely unrelated assignature to what I was studying. I needed to show a prescription for glasses and some proof I had dyslexia to be able to redo the project. (Transcribe the entire Cantar del Mío Cid)

Typing is a lot easier to correct, because I have learnt that proofreading is necesary before posting or printing or sending, my Msn conversation normally take very long.
This post took 10 minutes to be written and proofread.

Also, High school was hell for me because sometimes in math I wuold invert numbers and get weird results.
From my first grade entry test
8+22=14
Fourth Grade:
2671068708*9=296785412
Seventh Grade
5^x/x+x^4/x+3^x6/x+8x/x=x^4+x^3+6^3+8

Also, when playing the piano for the school orchestra, when I was forced to read music things usually went awfully wrong.
Chopin is impossible to memorize and the left hand in Etude Revolutionary got pretty messed up. Never again did I played piano alone without an orchestra behind or infront of me.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

dennisw wrote:It's been almost an hour and nobody's mentioned Dvorak.

Until now.

And not since then.

Until now

Incidentally, would the adjective form of Dvorak be 'dvorakal' or 'dvorakial'?

skordge

Postby skordge » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

araveugnitsuga wrote:I have dyslexia and astigmatism, plus Qwertial aphasia and it wasn't that bad when using Debian but, when handwriting for Spanish Literature things got really ugly, my prblem was mainly transcribing without glasses while talking to my mother about why I took Spanish Literature, a completely unrelated assignature to what I was studying. I needed to show a prescription for glasses and some proof I had dyslexia to be able to redo the project. (Transcribe the entire Cantar del Mío Cid)

Si que la tienes dificil, te tendre que decir.

araveugnitsuga wrote:This post took 10 minutes to be written and proofread.

Even though I rarely mistype, I proofread a lot too. A lesson learned the hard way, through corporate mail.

araveugnitsuga wrote:Also, when playing the piano for the school orchestra, when I was forced to read music things usually went awfully wrong.
Chopin is impossible to memorize and the left hand in Etude Revolutionary got pretty messed up. Never again did I played piano alone without an orchestra behind or infront of me.

I always had trouble associating music notation with actual sounds, be it classical notation or guitar tabs. Associating sounds with actual keys or frets seems a lot easier to me. Exactly the opposite with written language - while typing this post I must have picked up about 3 different ways of emphasizing the meaning for each sentence with intonations.

Oh, but freudian slips, both written and pronounced, are my bane. Worst ever was when someone pointed out a freudian slip of mine, and I automatically retaliated with: "Well, F*CK FREUD!"
What do you mean, 'booze ain't food'?!

araveugnitsuga

Postby araveugnitsuga » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

skordge wrote:Si que la tienes dificil, te tendre que decir.

No tanto como suena, mi único problema persistente es escribir sin anteojos o sin prestar atención

skordge wrote:I always had trouble associating music notation with actual sounds, be it classical notation or guitar tabs. Associating sounds with actual keys or frets seems a lot easier to me. Exactly the opposite with written language - while typing this post I must have picked up about 3 different ways of emphasizing the meaning for each sentence with intonations.

No, my problem was not identifying the correct note or sound but mixing some terms when they were together like piano and pianissimo or with the timing, the difference between 2/4 and 4/2 is being half an hour ahead of the orhcestra also, sometimes I mixed notes when they were near in the partiture, I actually transcribed some of them to have more space in between.

skordge wrote:Oh, but freudian slips, both written and pronounced, are my bane. Worst ever was when someone pointed out a freudian slip of mine, and I automatically retaliated with: "Well, F*CK FREUD!"

I lost a girlfriend because of that, and the worst thing, it was my mother's name. In my defence she was talking to me in the same tone my mom did.

mastered

Postby mastered » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:43 pm UTC

This happens to me in reverse. If I'm reading or writing/typing [or even thinking] something, whatever it is keeps invading my speech. "No, you can't divide by synæsthesia." ... "What?" ;)
Things are only impossible until they aren't. - Cpt. Picard

Aurora

Postby Aurora » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

This happens to me a lot, but not all that badly. Some mild confusion, but that's all.One of my friends once did that, he was talking to me on MSN at the same time as trying to log onto his other computer, and accidentally typed his password to me. Sadly enough, I could have guessed it.

Aquilai

Postby Aquilai » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:16 am UTC

Faranya wrote:
dennisw wrote:It's been almost an hour and nobody's mentioned Dvorak.

Until now.

And not since then.

Until now

Incidentally, would the adjective form of Dvorak be 'dvorakal' or 'dvorakial'?

And again (example)! Could it be dvorakian?

dragonridingsorceress

Postby dragonridingsorceress » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:53 am UTC

Ah, thank you, FurbyFubar

araveugnitsuga

Postby araveugnitsuga » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:54 am UTC

I don't think it is related to Qwerty, I used Dvorak for around 3 years and it stlil happened. I think it should be called Typographical aphasia not Qwertial Aphasia (I sense a profound hate for Qwerty from Mr. Munroe)
Last edited by araveugnitsuga on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Trendy27

Postby Trendy27 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:36 am UTC

i wonder if zach weiner geohashes.....

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:55 am UTC

software2

Postby software2 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:59 am UTC

Damn you glasnt! I registered just to post that!

screech

Postby screech » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:02 am UTC

I just noticed it too. Ah, the power of the internet.

This happens to me more when I'm typing routine things and I'm thinking about something, so I'll type that instead. I'm usually pretty focused on original writings.
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

ewilkie

Postby ewilkie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:15 am UTC

rwald wrote:
lulzfish wrote:Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal is one of the few webcomics to rival xkcd in coolness.

But I only read their RSS feed.... What does he mean, alt-text picture?

I've got some good news and some bad news.

The good news is, there's more humor to be found on SMBC; on the comic pages (either main page or archive), hover over the little red button thing below the comic, and you'll see an extra panel which provides a second punchline.

The bad news is, you now need to go back through hundreds of comics to view all of their votey-comics.

Thank you so much. Now I have to spend a whole day going through that archive again.

I hope you're proud of yourself.

You should be. I can't believe I didn't know it was there

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:34 am UTC

araveugnitsuga"[quote="skordge wrote:Oh, but freudian slips, both written and pronounced, are my bane. Worst ever was when someone pointed out a freudian slip of mine, and I automatically retaliated with: "Well, F*CK FREUD!"

I lost a girlfriend because of that, and the worst thing, it was my mother's name. In my defence she was talking to me in the same tone my mom did.[/quote]Your mother's name was Freud? That's Freudian.

Anyhow, I spent today stuck in bed with a mild giraffe. Fortunately it's not as bad as the one I had last month.

Flu! I meant flu!
Technical Ben wrote:While giraffes are really cute as cuddly toys. I am worried that there is one in the woman's closet. It's a bad sign.
The giraffe has come out of the closet now.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

kogle

Postby kogle » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:EDIT: Now that I've looked through a few hundred of them: http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1510#comic This one's alt text is the only reference to Randall within the comic that I've seen.

I got one more that you may add to your collection then :)

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1124#comic
Last edited by Hammer on Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Live link removed

Shale

Postby Shale » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

Plus, of course, today's.

KhayPrower

Postby KhayPrower » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:25 pm UTC

:D I am so happy today, now. First I checked (as always) this xkcd, and found an amusing reference to smbc, then on smbc the extra panel was for xkcd! I spasmed with joy :P The two comics I really read, pay attention to, care about, and love, cross-referenced each other today. It was such a pleasant surprise, and so funny, I am just certain I will be in a happy mood all day :) Thanks to both Randall and Zach for giving me such a great gift and pleasant day today. I needed it!

-Khay

littlebuddy

Postby littlebuddy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

I can afford both.

araveugnitsuga

Postby araveugnitsuga » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:11 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I lost a girlfriend because of that, and the worst thing, it was my mother's name. In my defence she was talking to me in the same tone my mom did.
Your mother's name was Freud? That's Freudian.[/quote]
No, because of one it happened, I called my mother name instead of hers at a romantic dinner.

skordge

Postby skordge » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

araveugnitsuga wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Your mother's name was Freud? That's Freudian.

No, because of one it happened, I called my mother name instead of hers at a romantic dinner.

Still pretty Freudian.
What do you mean, 'booze ain't food'?!

abstractpotato

Postby abstractpotato » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

I've done this a few weeks ago, except in reverse. Was typing up history homework while talking to a friend; meant to say "you like bagels" but ended up saying "economy".

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:34 pm UTC

Proof that giraffes are the webcomic artisan's animal of choice. I think it's because Larson copyrighted the cow.

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

BionicCryonic

Postby BionicCryonic » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:57 am UTC

Hmm. This one time during class, I was writing a paper about my memories at school (it was a week or so before school ended) and some idiot wlaks up to me and starts talking shit about me. Anyways I said back 'Go away you cock.' Turns out my paper said 'The thing I liked most about <my school> was the cock.' Thank god I wrote that in pencil, but I just narrowly spotted it before I turned it in.

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:22 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Image

It's a good thing you didn't post this alone, or I would have assumed m4g meant something quite different. Image

Moving swiftly on... I suffer from qwertial aphasia too. I just can't think of a funny example right now.
Last edited by ManaUser on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:44 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

araveugnitsuga wrote:I don't think it is related to Qwerty, I used Dvorak for around 3 years and it stlil happened. I think it should be called Typographical aphasia not Qwertial Aphasia (I sense a profound hate for Qwerty from Mr. Munroe)

Ah, finally!
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:23 pm UTC

So yeah, SMBC did use that votey yesterday, but didn't even TRY to make a comic to go along with it.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

It reminds me of this one time I had a conversation with a friend while playing a videogame.

I turned to the side ingame to look at him in real life.

I guess that's the opposite of this though.

neu242

My comment was erased :-O

Postby neu242 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
neu242 wrote:This comic is perfect for the One Million Giraffes project :)

How cuuute. I have to make one.

Where did my original posting go? It's erased from this thread and I cannot find it via the "View your posts" link.

neu242

Postby neu242 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

arbivark wrote:http://olahelland.net/giraffes/?id=6838

It's gone! :-O

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

There is a rule that you can only post links after you have posted already 5 posts. So that it is proven that you are not a spambot or not e.g. the owner of that site trying to promote it.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Proof that giraffes are the webcomic artisan's animal of choice. [img]PennyArcade[/img]

Indeed: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=464
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”