0606: "Cutting Edge"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

MehPlusRawr

Re: "Cutting Edge" discussion

Postby MehPlusRawr » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

Not sure if anyone posted this, but I'm bothered by the fact that he didn't talk about my favorite Orange Box game: Team Fortress 2. Also, I still haven't played HL2 much. Kinda sad.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:41 pm UTC

Zylon wrote:Only if you're the worst kind of graphics whore. I still regularly play the likes of Thief and System Shock 2, games which are now nearly a decade old.
Speaking of which, was that "Rebirth" mod for System Shock 2 ever finished? I'm pretty sure there was at least a highres textures pack. It's so hard to keep track of these things.

danielearwicker

Postby danielearwicker » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

Durandal wrote:
quadripedman wrote:Uh, Randal, what are you doing in my head? I just got HL2 a few weeks ago ($2 at Good Will and a few hours of some questionabally legal maneuvers involving falsifying a receipt and other such things) and have been playing it non-stop.

That's actually what we call a 'coincidence'.

Hey! That's exactly the same word I use for that thing!

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:03 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Speaking of which, was that "Rebirth" mod for System Shock 2 ever finished? I'm pretty sure there was at least a highres textures pack. It's so hard to keep track of these things.

"Rebirth" is the mod that updates AI models. It was permanently abandoned years ago, though what did get done was great stuff. The texture upgrade project, "SHTUP", is still churning away.

Emblematic

Postby Emblematic » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:29 am UTC

I'd be playing Half-Life 2 nowadays just because it's really good! That's why I play older games...

Postby 6453893 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:10 am UTC

In 2006, my parents decided to surprise me with Neverwinter Nights. I can relate so well to the alt text.

Tenth Speed Writer

Postby Tenth Speed Writer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:46 am UTC

... my brother!
Civil Engineering Major, University of Alabama.
"Yessir, I reckon 'em 'ere cent'rl s'port beams'll hol' up a'right..."

Mallet über alles!

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:19 am UTC

Randall, get out of my head!

I am currently saving up for a system that can play Oblivion and Fallout 3 without problems. Then I'll be able to play Morrowind properly, too, and maybe Doom 3.

The computer I'm typing this on runs most maps on Unreal with no slowdown; I'm working my way through the game for the second time because a friend told me the expansion pack doesn't stop when the marines start attacking you; there's a cave across the field somewhere. I thought you were just supposed to keep killing them until you run out of ammo and die; a rather unique ending. (Yes, the ORIGINAL Unreal Gold. The detail textures still blow my mind.)

I've got Ultimate Doom on my other computer. I have yet to beat E4M4 on hard/fast. Once I've beaten it, it's on to DOOM][.

Manual labor sucks.
---------
BlueNight

serrath

Postby serrath » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:46 am UTC

Eventually he'll stumble upon Free Allegiance and he'll fall in love... Oh wait, that was supposed to happen in 2006.

. . .

Why is he still playing other games?!

Rufaellie
Location: Something only has location compared to something else.

Postby Rufaellie » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:04 am UTC

I do this with music all the time. "Oh man, check out this album by Coldplay! I think it's called 'Parachutes'."
Rufaellie wrote:I think at least twice.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:28 am UTC

In re: waiting for price drops on Steam: Yes. Very yes. I got Bioshock on that $5 sale day, but even the $20 it's been down to ever since I can remember would have been a great deal. It's still like $40 in stores. :P Now I'm waiting for Mirror's Edge to have a weekend deal. Just about everything does eventually.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Bert

Postby Bert » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:43 am UTC

Psh, I say every year start back at Atari and work your way up, try and see if you can beat your record each year. (This includes all nintendo, sony, microsoft, sega, etc. systems).

Extra Challenge: If you wind up taking the first challenge, try not to play the same game more than once over the course of however long you decide to do this.

Mr. Coffee

Postby Mr. Coffee » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:39 am UTC

This sort of thing works better with movies. It's not as time-critical as online games and I'll take a comfortable chair and 24" monitor over a crowded theater any day.

ungeniusman

Postby ungeniusman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:16 am UTC

OHMYGAWD

I totally do that, except on a, like, four year delay. I beat Half-Life 2 last fall. ALSO, I totally know what he means about the command and conquer servers!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhrandallgetoutofmyheadahhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Generic_Guy

Postby Generic_Guy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:49 am UTC

FoolishOwl wrote:Occasionally, I still play Angband.
I'm surprised that this guy's the only one is this topic (besides me, but I didn't mention it) that plays Angband! Surely at least one more person likes it? D:
Okay, so I like MAngband more, but it's an Angband variant, isn't it? :mrgreen:

Nyerguds

Postby Nyerguds » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:46 pm UTC

IIAOPSW wrote:and as for C&C, i have C&C Red Alert (released 1996) . win XP won't even run the regular version so i have to use the pixelated DOS version. so yes, i'm one of the few people running a DOS game in the 21st century.

Tried patching? The existing official 1.08 patch fixes that. And then there's the beta 3.03 patch too.

sakeniwefu

Postby sakeniwefu » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:35 pm UTC

Oh god! The ending in Monkey Island II sucks big time!!!

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:10 pm UTC

Any up for some nettrek or .. um... core wars?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

DarkLoaf

Postby DarkLoaf » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:44 pm UTC

I'm sorta the same way, I bought C&C Red Alert 3 last year and low and behold 6 months later, I found myself reinstalling C&C Red Alert 2. (whose servers are still quite alive for a game almost 10 years old) C&C the original though...holy crap. I remember playing that with my friend down in the basement when we were 8. I would not wanna play the guy still in that server. They're always the pros.

FoolishOwl

Postby FoolishOwl » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:In 2006, my parents decided to surprise me with Neverwinter Nights. I can relate so well to the alt text.

Neverwinter Nights is *still* much better than Neverwinter Nights 2, and there are more people playing it online.

neoliminal wrote:Any up for some nettrek or .. um... core wars?

They finally put netrek-client-cow on the Ubuntu multiverse repository -- so I'm up for it.

Zerak-Tul

Postby Zerak-Tul » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqy3FSOiMSo

Half-Life 2 in 60 seconds (spoilers).

redsoxfantom

Postby redsoxfantom » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

I shouldn't laugh as I just got around to beating Half-Life 2 a few weeks ago...

asdfzxc

Postby asdfzxc » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

I buy PC games on a 3-year lag, console games on a 2-year lag and consoles on a 2-3 year lag. My PC is only upgraded when I break something (around once every 4 years).

squig

Postby squig » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:34 am UTC

Imagist wrote:I just bought a copy of Diablo 2.

Man, I've been playing D2 (expansion) non-stop for years!

The1exile

Postby The1exile » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:51 am UTC

FoolishOwl wrote:Neverwinter Nights is *still* much better than Neverwinter Nights 2, and there are more people playing it online.

Baldur's Gate 2 is still much better than NWN, and it's 9 years old now. I always liked 2E better, anyway.
mosc wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:The military wrote custom PS3 software and bought a bunch of them for some very specific application.

A modern warfare lan party, duh.

gregthebunny

Postby gregthebunny » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:07 am UTC

QuarterToTomorrow wrote:I registered to say this. How petty am I?

I too signed up just to participate in this thread. Welcome, petty brother. :D

I like the "$20 or less" method as opposed to the "5 years old" method. I pick up most of my games at the local video resale shop. They're cheap and almost always in like-new condition. Then again, I play mostly single-player console games, and I rarely play online. So I could care less if game servers are still up or not.

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:11 am UTC

Generic_Guy wrote:
I'm surprised that this guy's the only one is this topic (besides me, but I didn't mention it) that plays Angband! Surely at least one more person likes it? D:
Okay, so I like MAngband more, but it's an Angband variant, isn't it? :mrgreen:

I play Angband, but tend to play Rogue and ADoM more often.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

Nyerguds

Postby Nyerguds » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:15 am UTC

DarkLoaf wrote:C&C the original though...holy crap. I remember playing that with my friend down in the basement when we were 8. I would not wanna play the guy still in that server. They're always the pros.

Hardly. The pros disappeared years ago. The official servers are empty. The cncnet system has about 5-20 people online at all times, but none of them are people from back then. We're just a bunch of enthousiasts trying to revive C&C1 online play because we happen to like the game.

Glenn Magus Harvey

Postby Glenn Magus Harvey » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

Rufaellie wrote:I do this with music all the time. "Oh man, check out this album by Coldplay! I think it's called 'Parachutes'."

"Oh, man, check out this dance suite by Bach! I think it's called 'French Suite #6 in E major'."

Pwnt. :D

Generic_Guy wrote:

Okay, so I like MAngband more, but it's an Angband variant, isn't it?

I play Nethack. And I discovered it in 2006. BEAT THAT, PEOPLE!

Speaking of which...why are you people playing Half-Life and Portal and various things on Steam and Valve? Aren't those those crazy-new games?

Where's your love for Duke Nukem and Commander Keen?

And heck, where's your love for consoles? : PPPP

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:28 pm UTC

Glenn Magus Harvey wrote:
Rufaellie wrote:I do this with music all the time. "Oh man, check out this album by Coldplay! I think it's called 'Parachutes'."

"Oh, man, check out this dance suite by Bach! I think it's called 'French Suite #6 in E major'."

Pwnt. :D

Generic_Guy wrote:

Okay, so I like MAngband more, but it's an Angband variant, isn't it?

I play Nethack. And I discovered it in 2006. BEAT THAT, PEOPLE!

Speaking of which...why are you people playing Half-Life and Portal and various things on Steam and Valve? Aren't those those crazy-new games?

Where's your love for Duke Nukem and Commander Keen?

And heck, where's your love for consoles? : PPPP

My love for Commander Keen is right here. <3 <3 <3
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

thruddle

Postby thruddle » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

Wierd, I bought orange box a couple of weeks back and have been playing it nonstop too... (obligatory "get out of my head Randall"). That said, my latest purchase is Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis at a much older 17 years old.

Relatedly, was anyone else freaked out by the way practicaly every other resistance fighter in HL2 episode 2 was voiced by Adam Baldwin (Jayne Cobb from firefly)?

itty53

Postby itty53 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

Finally got around to playing Portal for the first time, because of this comic. Beat it today. I hate games that leave you all mind-fucked. MGS2 was the same way, when the damn AI starts telling you to put the controller down. God I need to get laid.

HighSpeedFallingObjects

Postby HighSpeedFallingObjects » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

Quicksilver wrote:This comic is pretty inaccurate. I can play Portal on a Celeron D, the game was designed from the start for low end computers and high end so there was no excuse to have not played the game.

Lies. My one year old Dual-Core laptop runs it like shit. Then again, integrated graphics. But still! Portal was definitely not designed for non-gaming computers, but it could have been. I have no idea what makes modern games so slow, when they aren't much more complex than older games. Half-Life 2 works great on the same laptop, and it doesn't have much larger levels or better graphics.

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:22 am UTC

Dude, all I know is that this comic made me Google "The Cake is a Lie," and I've spend the last six hours reading about Portal and watching YouTube clips of the game...
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:46 am UTC

A link to this new ASCII Portal video seems apropos:
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/07/07/as ... ill-bleed/

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:36 am UTC

I'm still waiting for Commander Keen 7 :evil:

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:08 am UTC

I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:10 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:A link to this new ASCII Portal video seems apropos:
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/07/07/as ... ill-bleed/
Thanks, I seriously needed to see that :D
Sliced bread eat your heart out!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

escalinci

Postby escalinci » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

This is pretty much me, since I just got a 360, but it does have it's advantages. A Pro with an extra pad, Halo 3, RE5, The Orange Box and Mass Effect for £220. Good, no?

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:51 pm UTC

Seriously contemplating getting a PC so I can play Portal. Of course, you're talking to the guy who is still wishing for a PS2 so he can play GTA (the original GTA, that is)...
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”