0616: "Lease"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Max2009

Re: "Lease" Discussion

Postby Max2009 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:34 am UTC

This made me laugh.
I am glad to see that there are no grownup fans of xkcd. That means there's still hope for the world.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

rolandnl

Re: Lease

Postby rolandnl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:56 am UTC

Ah, flashback humor

And what's the problem with Lego's and adulthood. I'm currently hosting a monthly Lego-and-Beer event, where people meet up, get drunk and build stuff. It all seems very adult to me?

iain_benson

Postby iain_benson » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:57 am UTC

Please can I just say ARRRRGHHH!!! to all the people using the word 'legos'

<pedant mode>LEGO is a registered trademark of the company, not the product. You build things out of 'LEGO bricks', not 'legos'</pedant mode>

Ahem, sorry about that ... normal (lurking) service will now be resumed!

The_Great_Yoshi_Rider

Postby The_Great_Yoshi_Rider » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:03 am UTC

This comic is the exact reason why I have a roommate. He knows how to pay attention to things that I ignore. Y'know, like having food in the apartment.

KyrieEleison

Postby KyrieEleison » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:11 am UTC

My first "Randall, get out of my head!"

Actually, at this point, he's only got one foot in my head, but whatev. I'm looking for my first real job at this point (actually, "still," despite having graduated college a year ago - heck, I'd take steady work in favor of temping), and I'm wondering if I am looking for a job because I'm 25 and I should have a job, or if I'll just go crazy if I don't work, and why am I worrying about it right now, because the money I do make is enough to pay my bills, and my parents don't mind me living at home (not that I have enough to afford living on my own anyway). Should I just work with what I have at the moment and basically write full-time, or do I get the full-time job so I can get that teaching credential, so I can do what I've wanted to do since 3rd grade?

This existential breakdown is brought to you by the letter "D," as in "Don't mind me. I'll be over here trying not to pull my hair out."

sunami

Postby sunami » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:13 am UTC

Being that I'm pretty much myself when I was in elementary school, plus a couple of months of personal growing at 19, I feel like this all the damn time. Walking down the street I used to see all these adults and feel, not exactly scared but apprehensive (ish? something) at having to do all these adult things. Now that I'm older it's not even remotely how I expected. I can seriously live off of a simple job, with few hours. It just feels, wrong. But it's not!
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

teaser

Postby teaser » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:20 am UTC

madsci wrote:If I had the 220v power to handle it, I'd have bought a used electric forklift by now.

You Americans and your 110V power... HA-HA!

Trin

Postby Trin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:30 am UTC

Just registered here because this one creeped me out and I had to share that with someone.

You know, me and my bf just found an apartment and are going to sign the lease today, and I feel bewildered because come ON, how could I be a responsible person when I'm probably faking it, or just managing to act like one by sheer luck? (Being only 19 doesn't help, I tell you, and neither does checking all the formal stuff about the apartment and calculating whether there will be enough money for food while your bf (who is 26 btw) is worrying about WoW)

Just for example: the thing we liked most about the apartment was the super fast Internet connection so we can both play WoW at the same time without Dalaran lagging. :lol: And there is enough place for our huge collection of SF/FF books.

And then I see this comic and am all like 'hey, stop reading my mind!'

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:45 am UTC

iain_benson wrote:<pedant mode>LEGO is a registered trademark of the company, not the product. You build things out of 'LEGO bricks', not 'legos'</pedant mode>

Those legos are clearly photoshopped anyway.

In other news: I'm fiscally responsible and adult. Yet during fiduciary-related meetings, I sometimes wish Batman would burst in and save me. (This also goes for shopping trips)
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

greg57

Postby greg57 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:13 am UTC

LuNatic wrote:So this type of thing won't stop when I hit 30 then? I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not...

Even at 34 !

God this strip was so good :)

flyonthewall

Postby flyonthewall » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:17 am UTC

I get this same feeling whenever people ask me to help them out with stuff.

"Could you watch my kids for a day?"
"Wanna drive?"
"Could you wait outside the computer store and hold my wallet while I go to the bathroom?"
"I need someone to help me out with juggling fire, are you free this Saturday?"

I know I've been studying computers now for sometime, but sometimes I consider getting a degree in health care or psychology, just to see if they'd let me practice.

Turning 28 in a month, I expect you all to bring me cake. And a utility belt.

michael24easilybored

Postby michael24easilybored » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:25 am UTC

"oh my god, like, I rent a flat too! me and randall, we're like, totally the same person!"

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:30 am UTC

synp wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I still live with my parents... I wonder if I would be able to handle a lease. Not that i was thinking about it before reading the comic. Randall has actually kept out of my head as I asked. (Though I have been thinking of related things, such as having just passed the point where I'm half of my dad's age...)

That's a tough one. You realize that when your dad was your age, he was a responsible adult, living with a wife and a kid...

Lucky for me, my dad had me at 45. Still several years to go.
I'm 23.5 and I wonder how he could have coped with a baby me since I don't think I could do it.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Simplex

Postby Simplex » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:31 am UTC

"I still make lego buildings sometimes".....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/surrey/8168892.stm

50 replies, and i'm seriously the first to post this?

seventoes

Postby seventoes » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:32 am UTC

You had to make this comic right as I get my first bank account. Also... a checkbook. I feel 40 when I hold it.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

HighSpeedFallingObjects

Postby HighSpeedFallingObjects » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:38 am UTC

seventoes wrote:You had to make this comic right as I get my first bank account. Also... a checkbook. I feel 40 when I hold it.

People still use checkbooks?

Tsunoba

Postby Tsunoba » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:43 am UTC

I have to say both "Get out of my head!" and "Thank you for being inside my head."

I was just thinking earlier today that just because I'm an adult legally doesn't make me an adult mentally, but responsibility is rushing up and I'm just not ready.

But this was a helpful reminder that I'm not alone with this feeling, and I really needed that. Somehow, it's a relief, knowing that.

T3m3r1ty

Postby T3m3r1ty » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:51 am UTC

nick_the_insane wrote:Slight tangent - a friend of mine was wondering how you'd translate "I don't know what you just said because I was thinking about Batman" into Latin. Anyone know?

I'd ask someone else to do it
River: Noah's Ark is a problem.
Book: Really.
River: We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit five thousand species of mammal on the same boat.

T3m3r1ty

Postby T3m3r1ty » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:54 am UTC

mcat172 wrote:
nick_the_insane wrote:Slight tangent - a friend of mine was wondering how you'd translate "I don't know what you just said because I was thinking about Batman" into Latin. Anyone know?

I'm not completely sure, but it should be something like

Nescio quid dixisti quod putabo de Batman

now to translate batman...

well bat is vespertilio and man is vir or homo so some combination of the two will work

Oh, I someone did
River: Noah's Ark is a problem.

Book: Really.

River: We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit five thousand species of mammal on the same boat.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:13 am UTC

Multichromatic PVC testicles? :shock:

Or was the reference possibly to some other type of event involving balls in a building... hmmm... have we ever seen this before?! Hmmm... hmmm... :lol:
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:Multichromatic PVC testicles? :shock:

Or was the reference possibly to some other type of event involving balls in a building... hmmm... have we ever seen this before?! Hmmm... hmmm... :¡This cheese is burning me!:

Lurk more.
shrdlu wrote:
westrim wrote:I'm not sure what the alt-text is referencing, mostly because it depend on what type of balls she's getting. Is she making a ball pit?

http://xkcd.com/150/

Also, painfully obvious to the "serious" fans.

Note: "serious" in this context does not mean lease-signing checkbook-toting grownups, but fanatic, die-hard xkcd fans (who, by definition, are not serious about anything serious).
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

Steroid

Postby Steroid » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:50 am UTC

My grandfather, marine wounded in Korea, ex-truck-driver, ex-vending-machine repairman*, runner of two businesses--one successful, father of three, happily married for over 40 years. Never, until his last illness, missed the Bugs and Daffy Show on Saturday mornings.

Seriously, arrested development has been going on for decades and will continue forever.**

I, the 30-year-old anime geek, continue the tradition.

--

*If that looks odd, add an en-dash. OTOH, if they need repair, they are technically ex-vending-machines.

**I hope someday to rewrite this sentence with two more capital letters.

Malsies

Postby Malsies » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:17 am UTC

I wish xkcd would get out of my head. It's starting to creep me out.

I'm supposed to sign the lease for my first apartment tomorrow. I was just talking to my boyfriend last night about how I don't feel adult enough to be doing this.
I slice, I dice, and I fit comfortably into your pocket or glove-box!

(Order in the next ten minutes, and get a second for FREE!)

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:29 am UTC

Dear God, this pretty much sums up my life...
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Al-pocalypse

Postby Al-pocalypse » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:43 am UTC

Having bought a house recently I can confirm that this is also how i felt! I don't think it helped matters that i had a 6" mohawk at the time!

I also remember being dissapointed when i realised if i wanted to set my computer up properly that i wouldn't have a spare room to fill with ball-pond balls. :(
Ali ;)

"If I were creating a world I wouldn't mess around with butterflies and daffodiles. I'd have started with lasers, eight o'clock, day one!"
[BOOM!]
"...sorry..."

Capt. Jon

Postby Capt. Jon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:01 pm UTC

I've been having similar thoughts since starting my first proper, post-PhD job. I have responsibility now, i even sit on a committee representing my department, and committee's actions have real, tangible consequences. That scares me a bit. I bought a dirt jump bike to help cope with it.

nirvana_grace

Postby nirvana_grace » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:25 pm UTC

Heh. Just wait until you realize your parents had exactly the same thoughts. Few moments in my life were scarier than realizing that my best role-models were not the calm, uber-competent, earth-bound astronauts they appeared to be; and were, in fact, making it up as they went along. :shock:
Sure, there are always unintended consequences -- but I can't do nothin' about 'em.

ASW

Postby ASW » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:33 pm UTC

I just turned 30 last week, and am a successful network administrator where I secure firewalls, secure several hundred gigabytes of sql databases and am paid pretty well. I am married to a very intelligent beautiful woman and am a leader in several social circles outside work. I have a mortgage, 2 cars paid off, almost no credit debt, a healthy 401K, and a Will. The world would consider be a mature adult. That being said... I still watch cartoons on saturday morning while eating Peanut Butter Captn Crunch and eyeball the lego ads....love riding my bike not for excercize but because I can go really fast and always think about some dumb trick I should do that I know my bike cant handle and will break my legs.
However, it is my opinion that emotionally and psychologically, people stop maturing when they don't think they need mentors anymore. Eg, most girls from your HS probably stopped when they were 13. Guys stop at age 8 then after doing a plethora of stupid stuff we start in again around 35 I hear :) But the world and people make a lot more sense when the realization that even non-xkcd'ers are putting on a great facade.
Last edited by ASW on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Hamsvlekiss

Postby Hamsvlekiss » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:46 pm UTC

Randall WOULD post this just after I renewed the lease on my apartment for the first time ever. I'M A GROWN-UP I SWEAR.

(And after I bought a lot of animated movies... I only watch them for the art!)

mmmgravy

Postby mmmgravy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:49 pm UTC

ASW wrote:Guys stop at age 8 then after doing a plethora of stupid stuff we start in again around 35 I hear :)

I'm 40 and I think you heard wrong. Maybe it's 45. I hope not though. :)

N>L

Postby N>L » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

Randall get out of my head, they'll be here any minute now to install the ball pit!

Simon17

Postby Simon17 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:People still use checkbooks?

People who actually pay rent and bills do. I'm guessing you're one of those people you see using his debit card to buy a Monster energy drink at the student union.

Tool.
Randall, get out of my trunk!

Otto

Postby Otto » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

I had no problems when signing the leases for my apartments over the years.

I had almost these exact same thoughts when signing the mortgage agreement for my condo, however.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

Walter.Horvath wrote:That man must be running some kind of an apartment complex for xkcd fans...

Where is this place and how much is a room? :mrgreen:

On the same subject, the alt text kind of made the comic feel more complete, and xkcd-like, as opposed to just a simple gag.

I'm not an adult yet, but I often worry that I'm going to grow up and be in that guy's situation; being expected to do adult things but not really understanding them because I'll still be thinking the way I do now.

EDIT: Everything below

Max2009 wrote:
eviloatmeal wrote:Multichromatic PVC testicles? :shock:

Or was the reference possibly to some other type of event involving balls in a building... hmmm... have we ever seen this before?! Hmmm... hmmm... :¡This cheese is burning me!:

Lurk more.
shrdlu wrote:
westrim wrote:I'm not sure what the alt-text is referencing, mostly because it depend on what type of balls she's getting. Is she making a ball pit?

http://xkcd.com/150/

Also, painfully obvious to the "serious" fans.

Note: "serious" in this context does not mean lease-signing checkbook-toting grownups, but fanatic, die-hard xkcd fans (who, by definition, are not serious about anything serious).

I'm surprised some people forgot the ball pit. I'm tempted to find westrim and eviloatmeal and smack them upside the head, although I suspect eviloatmeal may have been being sarcastic. And, being serious about serious things is way too predictable for a die-hard xkcd fan to do.

Also: GOD DAMN TYPING OUT QUOTE BBCODE. That's the problem with quotes in an edit; you can't just click the quote button anymore, you have to type it all out. Sorry if I'm not exactly accurate; I copy-and-pasted the text, but I'm not sure if the line spacing is correct.

EDIT2: Yup, screwed up the line spacing. (Hopefully) fixed now.

Meagen wrote:Of course, I don't play with Legos anymore, because video games and Japanese children's cartoons take up most of my time.

You didn't leave time for legos?!?! HERETIC!!!
Last edited by SpringLoaded12 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:29 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Agent Foxtrot

Postby Agent Foxtrot » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:03 pm UTC

Today is my 30th birthday, and the strip couldn't be any more fitting of how I think. For the first time, I can say:

"GET OUT OF MY HEAD, RANDALL!!!"

InfamousAnarchist

Postby InfamousAnarchist » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

Walter.Horvath wrote:That man must be running some kind of an apartment complex for xkcd fans...

Yes please.
sever every leg
amanda palmer please come home please

mmmgravy

Postby mmmgravy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:09 pm UTC

Simon17 wrote:
HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:People still use checkbooks?

People who actually pay rent and bills do. I'm guessing you're one of those people you see using his debit card to buy a Monster energy drink at the student union.

Tool.

That's kinda harsh. Especially when one considers that there are a good number of people who pay their bills through automatic debit or through the payees' websites and, thus, have no need for a checkbook.

Meagen

Postby Meagen » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:09 pm UTC

I'm actually moving in with my fiancé to our own apartment shortly, so this is amazingly relevant. Of course, I don't play with Legos anymore, because video games and Japanese children's cartoons take up most of my time.

swordswinger12

Postby swordswinger12 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

I hate to do it but Get out of my head Randall! i'm getting ready to move in to a house i leased with a few friends.

Evadman

Postby Evadman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:44 pm UTC

I had to join just to post this comment.

I am actually in the middle of leasing a house. Last Friday, I was negotiating the lease and my lawyer was explaining some junk to me and I totally zoned out. I started thinking about how cool it would be if I were the Green Lantern, and could make my own house using my ring. Then I was trying to determine if I would be able to decorate it with regular paint. I figured that a great roommate would be Deadpool, but I figured he would like yellow paint for some reason. I was half way though determining if yellow paint would negate the power of my ring when my lawyer asked me to sign my offer. I was seriously out of it for like 30 minutes. I apparently kept nodding, and my lawyer thought it was because I was following the conversation. When in fact I was just agreeing with myself that a green house would rock.

I asked my lawyer to "rewind the last 30 minutes because I wasn't paying attention due to the fact that Deadpool was going to paint my house yellow if he was my roomate". I got the best look EVER from the owner of the unit, while my lawyer didn't even blink.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”