0616: "Lease"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cparker15

Re: "Lease" Discussion

Postby cparker15 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:51 pm UTC

Today's comic sums up my everyday life. If I could somehow manage it, I'd stay home all day and do fun things. Instead, I have a mortgage to pay and mouths to feed. What the...

HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:People still use checkbooks?

What's a "checkbook"?

Seriously, though, all of my bills are either paid automatically or via my bank's free online bill payment system. I had a checkbook maybe ten years ago, when I first opened my checking account. I haven't seen it since then.

Simon17 wrote:People who actually pay rent and bills do. I'm guessing you're one of those people you see using his debit card to buy a Monster energy drink at the student union.

Tool.

Is there something wrong with using a debit card to make routine purchases? I'd rather have the convenience of a single, pliable card that I can use to pay for things instead of having to deal with sheets of paper and small lumps of metal.

On top of that, paying with a debit card eliminates the unnecessary step of going to the ATM, withdrawing cash with the same card, then using the cash to pay. It's simple geometry:

ATM vs Debit.png
ATM vs Debit.png (59.08 KiB) Viewed 5442 times
Peter Gibbons wrote:I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Gero

Postby Gero » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

Self-referencing alt text FTW baybee! Yea!

Excelent :D

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

When my wife (who owned an apartment in Manhattan before we married) and I had our second child we moved to Brooklyn. This was right before the whole market crash... literally right before. We had to buy the new place with bridge loans. With some trickery we ended up with two loans at once, all with the loan officer pushing it through below the radar, which of course, is exactly who this whole thing got screwed in the first place. I'm wandering... oh yes, the point.

I hate credit. HATE it. Before I married my wife I had no credit cards, had left bank accounts to "rot" into sub zero balances, and basically done nothing with my credit at all. My credit rating we horrid. Because my wife had stopped working, I had to be the one to take the loans out based on my salary and such. After closing on the apartment and paying off the loans I now have a ridiculous credit rating. This comic made me think of that. Here I am signing for hundreds of thousands of dollars and secretly I feel like I'm still that 13 year old kid who should never be trusted alone with mommy's wallet.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:58 pm UTC

For those of you that still play with legos, or wish they still had some, check out LDraw and it's supporters. There are loads of websites for it, and just about everything made in lego on it. All the scifis are covered too ;)
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:11 pm UTC

So the funniest part of all this is, there's a point where you realize adults aren't really grown ups at all. there's nothing different about them and other people, it's just that they know what their responsibliites are, and can act in a professional manner when they feel they must. On the inside everything else is exactly the same. Humans are just monkies with coping skills.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

AvgNYer68

Postby AvgNYer68 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

my first post on this forum! ok but to what I'm actually saying:

So as opposed to most people who have posted about today's strip, who freak out because they're just signing their leases, though I do understand the whole fear of maturation thing, having just used my mother's credit card to pay for thousands of dollars of college related stuff (she told me to, but still, it's weird), this comic freaked me out because I've been thinking about Batman.

mostly because of comedian Lewis Black. I bought one of his cd's recently (2005 Carnegie Hall NYC performance), and one of the tracks starts off like this:

(important part of this post):
If you're an adult...and you're planning...to wear a costume...on Halloween...
...don't. I will find you. I will hurt you.

I don't know why it was deemed to be a necessity among a group of adults that, for some reason, they didn't grow out of...childhood. It's not an adult holiday. It's a holiday for children. That's who it's for. [...] It's a holiday for children, because children want to dress up all the time. And you have to go, "Nope, this is the night, so...shut the fuck up."

You're an adult, and you can put on a costume whenever you want. You don't need permission anymore. If you wake up next Tuesday, and you feel like being Batman, go for it. You go into work, your boss says, "Who are you?" And you go, "I am Batman. That's who I am. Who are you?"

DieJay

Postby DieJay » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

Randall, get out of my head! I'm moving in a new apartment next week, and I've been actually thinking about it immensely for the past few months. Except that, unlike most of you it seems, I made poor choices in my life and I actually wish I could go back 6 years in the past just so I could stay one more year with my mom to figure things out before getting all those responsibilities and FUBAR my life :(

And now, even though I finally obtained my IT degree, I owe our great country over 20k$... thanks a lot.
Proud Duct-Tape Programmer since 2000.
"More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency (without necessarily achieving it) than for any other single reason - including blind stupidity."
-W.A. Wulf

umop ap!sdn

Postby umop ap!sdn » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

nirvana_grace wrote:Heh. Just wait until you realize your parents had exactly the same thoughts. Few moments in my life were scarier than realizing that my best role-models were not the calm, uber-competent, earth-bound astronauts they appeared to be; and were, in fact, making it up as they went along. :shock:

I have also realized this, just terrifying! My sister announced she was pregnant, and we were talking and she said she was scared, and didn't know what they were gonna do... and would she and her bf be good parents... half way through the conversation I realized that my mom probably had this same conversation when she was pregnant with me... :shock:

HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:
seventoes wrote:You had to make this comic right as I get my first bank account. Also... a checkbook. I feel 40 when I hold it.

People still use checkbooks?

Oh all the time! Well, my ego writes the checks. The only issue is my body can't cash them. Causes some problems occasionally.
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

If not satisfied with this post, please return unused portion for full refund.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

People still use plastic cards? I find cash much easier, and convenient.

AvgNYer68

Postby AvgNYer68 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:05 pm UTC

also just realized that this is the end result of # 616:
http://xkcd.com/418/

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

I signed my first lease at 19, my sophomore year at college, but didn't feel nervous about it. That's probably because I had a bad number in the dorm lotto system and my plans with a low number person fell through. The pressure of not having anywhere to stay was less than the pressure of signing a lease.

I signed my mortgage at 29. A casual aquiantance had told me earlier how many papers he had to sign and initial for his mortgage, so I kept track. I'm signing papers to spend almost a third of a million dollars, and all that's going through my head is some imaginary contest with a guy I barely know. It turns out I did have quite a bit more to sign than he did. When I told him, he mumbled something about his wife signing stuff too, so his count was low.

Actually, the most conflict I've felt about growing up was when I was around 14. I decided that I was too old for my toys, mostly Transformers, so I sold most of them at yard sales to buy CDs. Now, my tastes in music have changed, but I still like Transformers and wish I had them back. At least I had enough sense to keep Devestator.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

I think it has to do with the fact that we* tend to be pretty mature as kids.

* readers of xkcd, hackers, nerds, geeks. I tend to believe that the readers of xkcd are either hackers, or like hackers in mind (but lacking the skill, or having a different specialty). Members of this forum tend to follow hacker practices, and are shocked when this is pointed out. No one starts as a hacker, they all became as they are, and develop these mindsets and practices. These draw them to the community. I believe the hacker community is one collector of this mindset, but surely many go uncollected. I think xkcd is another such collector of us.

Code: Select all

|_|*|_|
|_|_|*|
|*|*|*|
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:47 pm UTC

"I'm pretty sure I stopped growing in my teens"
At 21 and 4'10" I'm still shorter than many 8th graders. That just makes it extra hard to feel adult.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:20 am UTC

This gives me hope since I am afraid like a-new-parent-afraid of being concidred an adult soon. I will remember this comic while getting student loans, grants and all that jazz. I think this can be/is a universal comic for even those who aren't into xkcd and so forth.

@cephalopod9- don't worry about it. My bestie is just five foot and has a Mickey Mouse voice.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

jbalfantz

Postby jbalfantz » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:45 am UTC

maybe it's "confusus sum quod BatHominem proscipio." That's the shortest I could make it. And not having taken Latin for 11 years makes me a little rusty.

nick_the_insane wrote:Slight tangent - a friend of mine was wondering how you'd translate "I don't know what you just said because I was thinking about Batman" into Latin. Anyone know?

Angafirith

Postby Angafirith » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:56 am UTC

This sums up how I felt when I bought my car back in March. I was getting financing through my credit union at work and hadn't put in any of the paperwork yet. I wasn't paying any sort of down payment. Even knowing that, they still let me drive it home that day. They told me to just bring the check in whenever it came.

They trusted me with a car worth over $25,000? What?

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:06 am UTC

Has anyone else noticed how the style of this comic is different? I'm looking at the line quality and the lettering. Looks like it may be an older comic that Randall was saving? Or he's just changing up his style to be different?
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

ssampier

Postby ssampier » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:00 am UTC

When I was a child, I thought as a child. When I become an adult, I put away childish things, including the need to ever grow up.

I would be so there for a xkcd apartment Lego building. But I have to be in bed before 11, I have work at 8 am.

Valisk

Postby Valisk » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:06 am UTC

Walter.Horvath wrote:That man must be running some kind of an apartment complex for xkcd fans...

that is a genuinely good idea.

Especially since that will be one of the most prepared places on earth when the Raptors return.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:00 am UTC

cparker15 wrote:Is there something wrong with using a debit card to make routine purchases? I'd rather have the convenience of a single, pliable card that I can use to pay for things instead of having to deal with sheets of paper and small lumps of metal.

On top of that, paying with a debit card eliminates the unnecessary step of going to the ATM, withdrawing cash with the same card, then using the cash to pay. It's simple geometry:

ATM vs Debit.png
I pay for everything with debit card unless I have to use cash :D
And that diagram describes the situation where I buy chocolate. The ATM is are about half a minute's walk from Woolworths...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:10 am UTC

Simon17 wrote:

People who actually pay rent and bills do. I'm guessing you're one of those people you see using his debit card to buy a Monster energy drink at the student union.

Tool.

People still pay their rent and bills with cheques?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

yaPete

Postby yaPete » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:28 am UTC

Simon17 wrote:

People who actually pay rent and bills do. I'm guessing you're one of those people you see using his debit card to buy a Monster energy drink at the student union.

Tool.

Just because your banking system is outdated.

I *have* a chequebook, but it's very rare that I use it. In fact, looking at the stubs, I've written six cheques in the last two years. Mostly to luddite eBayers, and one obscure bureaucracy that's stuck in the past. And I am a fully-functioning adult who owns his own house and also rents to other people.

When I lived in Germany there was no such thing as cheques even ten years ago; I think France has gone the same way. Probably Australia too.

That said, I agree with you about cash at the bar. Unless you're buying a round for a dozen people, buying drinks with a card just seems wrong.

Pete

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:37 am UTC

Randall craps diamonds. Classic XKCD reflecting my life. I've been impossibly stressed out over paying bills on my first apartment and I watched Batman the animated series like a couple days ago (target audience much?). Randall has, as he sometimes does, delivered a perfect little slice of perspective that just makes everything seem like not such a big deal anymore.
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:40 pm UTC

The alt-text really made it for me. Could this be the start of an ongoing storyline? The adventures of ballpit girl and Batman man, maybe?
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Storm

Postby Storm » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:50 pm UTC

I think what happens next is he starts taping rulers to the walls to make sure the house he's in doesn't change dimensions.

In regards to these forums people are frowned upon for acting like the rest of the internet, does that not make us more mature to some extent. We just have the smarts to be ready for the raptors.
Three Quotes:
Spoiler:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"- J.R.R. Tolkien
"This life is more than just a read through"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:45 pm UTC

I turned 28 yesterday. Tomorrow is my fifth wedding anniversary. I have a toddler.

And yet still I can't believe estate agents are taking me seriously when I say I have a house to sell and want to look at bigger houses to buy. It's like some naughty prank!!

Edit to add: I only use my cheque book three times a year - the three times the babysign classes need paying for.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

littlelj wrote:And yet still I can't believe estate agents are taking me seriously when I say I have a house to sell and want to look at bigger houses to buy. It's like some naughty prank!!

Your toddler could show up with an approval from the bank, and they would take it seriously. It's amazing how when you clothe yourself in money, the situation changes from, "Scram, kid!" to, "How may I help you, sir?"

But not always. When my friend was 21, he landed a job with an excellent bonus package. He wanted to buy a new Acura Integra... in cash. He had to go to four dealerships before he found one that was ready to sell him a car. Everyone else wanted to offer him financing or wait for a credit check. Either no one was ready to believe he had the cash, or they all wanted to set up a fat financing deal.
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

ritvax wrote:
littlelj wrote:And yet still I can't believe estate agents are taking me seriously when I say I have a house to sell and want to look at bigger houses to buy. It's like some naughty prank!!

Your toddler could show up with an approval from the bank, and they would take it seriously. It's amazing how when you clothe yourself in money, the situation changes from, "Scram, kid!" to, "How may I help you, sir?"

But not always. When my friend was 21, he landed a job with an excellent bonus package. He wanted to buy a new Acura Integra... in cash. He had to go to four dealerships before he found one that was ready to sell him a car. Everyone else wanted to offer him financing or wait for a credit check. Either no one was ready to believe he had the cash, or they all wanted to set up a fat financing deal.

There's a story that ran years ago about how the police caught some Michigan bank robbers who attempted to buy a car with cash.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

Some do not take cash as part of their anti fraud/money laundering obligations. Not sure how much is law and how much is just business practice for safety.
On topic, I got my place at 23. Most of it went over my head, but I was amazed at how many people were really pushy for me to get a large mortgage. However, most did make sure all the checks were done properly. And one adviser told me I should walk right out of the door that moment if I thought I would ever default or would have trouble paying the bill. I never did go with him anyway, but it made me really think about the responsibility.
I think it's a bit different now with the crisis in the markets etc. However I still see alot of financing deals being "push" through to completion to score sales points and bonuses.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Just want to point out, the love a Lego is going to come in handy when the kid from http://xkcd.com/441/ grows up a bit.

Aspergia

Postby Aspergia » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

I'd like to add my voice to all the 'this is me!' posts.

I've just turned 28, own my own home (including negotiating a refinance deal in the middle of the worst of the financial mess) have paid off a new car, hold down a professional job, and live alone despite a disability.

I honestly don't know how I fooled everyone... I'm just an eight year old autistic kid at heart. :)
Join my quest to hear every song in the world: No Song Twice

ianus

Postby ianus » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

I've made a translation to Spanish of this webcomic.
You can see it here
http://www.unangelo.com/2009/07/29-anos/
In my blog I've posted the link to the original xkcd comic.

As far as I understood xkcd let copy and share the comics, but did I had the rights to translating it to Spanish?

Anyone knows it?

Thanks

KingLeigh

Postby KingLeigh » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:47 pm UTC

My band play a song based around this exact idea - how we feel that we ended up as adults when we still feel like kids and are just stumbling through all these 'grown up' scenarios. We call it 'Falling With Style'.

nick_the_insane

Postby nick_the_insane » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:34 am UTC

Much thanks to mcat172 and jbalfantz for the translations, and lolz at T3m3r1ty for the "oh wait..." moment :lol:

Oh and my new sig, thanks to Sprocket: "Humans are just monkeys with coping skills"

squig

Postby squig » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:00 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
cparker15 wrote:Is there something wrong with using a debit card to make routine purchases? I'd rather have the convenience of a single, pliable card that I can use to pay for things instead of having to deal with sheets of paper and small lumps of metal.

ATM vs Debit.png
I pay for everything with debit card unless I have to use cash :D
And that diagram describes the situation where I buy chocolate. The ATM is are about half a minute's walk from Woolworths...

Woolworths really?

reevey

Postby reevey » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

I think it's amazing how many XKCDers seem to be leasing (renting) their first place right now. I'm due to move in on 15th, if I can get the curséd agent to answer my blasted questions.

On an unrelated note, did you know that 616 is the actual number of the beast? British quiz show QI (Quite Interesting, presented by Stephen Fry) said so, apparently 666 was a mistranslaton.
** Money can't buy you friends, but you get a better class of enemy. ~ Spike Milligan **

** It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase "As pretty as an airport" appear. ~ Douglas Adams **

Math_Mage

Postby Math_Mage » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

reevey wrote:On an unrelated note, did you know that 616 is the actual number of the beast? British quiz show QI (Quite Interesting, presented by Stephen Fry) said so, apparently 666 was a mistranslaton.

No, it's actually [imath]6^{6^6}[/imath]. Haven't you read The Number of the Beast? (Actually, I don't blame you if you haven't; that book's a lot of work for little result.) Of course, if you start with 616 then the transformation is quite boring. :P

yahiek

Postby yahiek » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:49 pm UTC

mcat172 wrote:
nick_the_insane wrote:Slight tangent - a friend of mine was wondering how you'd translate "I don't know what you just said because I was thinking about Batman" into Latin. Anyone know?

I'm not completely sure, but it should be something like

Nescio quid dixisti quod putabo de Batman

now to translate batman...

well bat is vespertilio and man is vir or homo so some combination of the two will work

should that perhaps be "putabam" (imperfect, not future, for "I was thinking")?

also, FWIW, Latin Wikipedia has Batman as "Vir Vespertilianus"

Werewolf

Postby Werewolf » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:48 am UTC

That was epic.

This almost-sort-of-not-really makes up for that cheap shot you did in "Asteroid".

Omnicontemplation

Postby Omnicontemplation » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:59 pm UTC

Exemplifies this idea:
"This Boy" - I'm From Barcelona
(This is a song.)
Sorry this is a few days late, I just caught up.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”