0618: "Asteroid"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sircheeziusbreezius

Re: "Asteroid" discussion

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:54 am UTC

the alt-text made me depressed about this comic, because it made me understand :/
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him. He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; shun him. He who knows and knows that he knows is wise; follow him.

ricree

Postby ricree » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:05 am UTC

My Deep Impact/Little Prince crossover fanfic has been poorly received by the community.

As long as no one rule34s this, we're ok. :D

tachash

Postby tachash » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:07 am UTC

Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:10 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Again I say: huh?

Asteroids aren't funny unless SG-1 is involved.

"Carter! I can see my HOUSE from here!"

On another note, I think we should ban people who need to do research more than twice a week in order to get the comic.
What the hell is wrong with you people? How can you have not read the Little Prince? Having read it, how can you have forgotten it?!?

*Stamps off raving*
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

Philosophe

Postby Philosophe » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:13 am UTC

Max2009 wrote:On another note, I think we should ban people who need to do research more than twice a week in order to get the comic.
What the hell is wrong with you people? How can you have not read the Little Prince? Having read it, how can you have forgotten it?!?

*Stamps off raving*

I got the Prince immediately, but I've never heard of Deep whatsit. Do I still have to go? :P

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:21 am UTC

Haggis wrote:I'm laughing out tears of sorrow right now. Oh Little Prince...

Aw, don't cry
Spoiler:
nothing's sad about old (bomb) shells

that was probably mean, sorry.

stavrosg

Postby stavrosg » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:30 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Randall, stop ruining my childhood, you bastard!

This.

noname

Postby noname » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:32 am UTC

You mean man. Randall :( . This did not paint a nice picture in my head

toad2000

Postby toad2000 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:33 am UTC

I have no idea what The Little Prince is so I didn't get this...

GET INTO MY HEAD RANDALL!

null1024

Postby null1024 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:35 am UTC

I just looked it [The Little Prince] up on Wikipedia to get this, and now I'm rather depressed.

Also, wasn't the drill with the nuke to destroy the asteroid from Armageddon? Not Deep Impact?

nico

Postby nico » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:36 am UTC

Philosophe wrote:I got the Prince immediately, but I've never heard of Deep whatsit. Do I still have to go? :P

Good, I though I was alone.
Little Prince is one of the best books I read as a kid.

I always felt so sorry for the astronomer who wasn't believed because he was not dressed like the other scientists... and maybe that's why I never dress elegant when I present stuff at conferences.
Not joking.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:39 am UTC

This is now automatically among my favorites.

I had to read Le Petit Prince in French last year, and though it was often hard to get through because of the language, I still very much enjoyed it.

Shame on you people who have never heard of it, don't remember it, or didn't like it. (Or at least the first two, I guess people are entitled to their opinions, no matter how stupid)
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

standinginherfield

Postby standinginherfield » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:43 am UTC

1) this would be better without (or with a different) title-text.

2) augh! this is the most heartbreaking thing i have ever seen! i am devastated. this is worse than bambi's mother.
maintain wonder.

standinginherfield

Postby standinginherfield » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:50 am UTC

joee wrote:
glasnt wrote:I got the Deep impact reference, but I'm stumped on Little Prince.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_little_prince

On my to-read list

Edit: HI GLASNT

dude, read it right now. http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks03/0300771h.html

you do not have anything better to be doing than this.
maintain wonder.

Marquee Moon

Postby Marquee Moon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:52 am UTC

Wow just finished reading The Little Prince a couple of hours ago. I was still raw from the ending, and now this... :cry:

westrim

Postby westrim » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:54 am UTC

Okay, now the number of people posting to say that they didn't get it without looking it up is getting annoying. The Little Prince is a classic of literature that's fit for kids. Deep Impact came out only 11 years ago. Seriously, at least look up a reference you don't understand before bitching about it.

Almost as bad are the ones with imperfect knowledge. Deep Impact and Armageddon both tried to drop a nuke down a hole, but DI's attempt failed; thus, the second half of the movie. Guys complaining about the flower; it's from the cover of the book, you might as well complain about the crater being there. So don't.

TL;DR: Wikipedia. Learn it. Use it. And stop bitching.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:59 am UTC

:oops: Until looking things up, I didn't know what The Little Prince was, and my only knowledge of Deep Impact was of the space probe, not the movie...

But now it's depressing.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

pjt33

Postby pjt33 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:07 am UTC

Woohoo! I hated the Little Prince. Maybe it was just the English translation, but it seemed to me to be written for 5 year-olds, and I was given a copy for my birthday in my teens.

Al-pocalypse

Postby Al-pocalypse » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:19 am UTC

I love The Little Prince, I also love this comic. It appeals to the side of my brain that laughs at dead baby jokes and reads sickipedia.
Ali ;)

"If I were creating a world I wouldn't mess around with butterflies and daffodiles. I'd have started with lasers, eight o'clock, day one!"
[BOOM!]
"...sorry..."

Kisama

Postby Kisama » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:30 am UTC

westrim wrote:Okay, now the number of people posting to say that they didn't get it without looking it up is getting annoying. The Little Prince is a classic of literature that's fit for kids. Deep Impact came out only 11 years ago. Seriously, at least look up a reference you don't understand before bitching about it.

Almost as bad are the ones with imperfect knowledge. Deep Impact and Armageddon both tried to drop a nuke down a hole, but DI's attempt failed; thus, the second half of the movie. Guys complaining about the flower; it's from the cover of the book, you might as well complain about the crater being there. So don't.

TL;DR: Wikipedia. Learn it. Use it. And stop bitching.
Wow you're, like, the captain of the interwebs! <3

I hadn't watched Deep Impact or read The Little Prince but the comic + title text made it very easy to guess what they are; no research necessary to smile at the comic.

Hmm, after doing a bit of research out of interest, "Le Petit Prince" makes me think of "Namae no nai Kaibutsu" from Monster. It's meant to be a children's story but it's messed up and depressing :/
cd880b726e0a0dbd4237f10d15da46f4

docent

Postby docent » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:31 am UTC

Loved today's comic, will have to reread The Little Prince

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:32 am UTC

Philosophe wrote:I got the Prince immediately, but I've never heard of Deep whatsit. Do I still have to go? :P

Deep Impact was a movie like Armageddon but without Bruce Willis and not as good (they came out at the same time too). Learn to IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120647/
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:33 am UTC

pjt33 wrote:Woohoo! I hated the Little Prince. Maybe it was just the English translation, but it seemed to me to be written for 5 year-olds, and I was given a copy for my birthday in my teens.

There are two ways of looking at it. One is that it's a cute story for 5 year-olds. The other is as a great philosophical work. I generally hate my English teachers for always trying to find meaning where there is none, but in this book I think it's almost obviously there. Perhaps it was the English translation, but I loved the original French version even with only a couple years of French experience.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Whyareall

Postby Whyareall » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:02 am UTC

I got to the last panel, and immediately went "Awww". No having to rely on the title-text for me!

Also, that's the first time in ages I've seen title-text, not alt text! Hooray for club!

EDIT: Holy crap, I just remembered I've been thinking about the box drawn for the little prince with the sheep inside it for the last few days! Weirdest "Randall, get out of my head!" ever?
For those of you who haven't read The Little Prince, the prince asks the main character to draw him a sheep. He tries multiple times, each time something is wrong. As a test, he shows him a drawing that most people thought was a hat (but was actually a side on view of a boa constrictor that had eaten an elephant), to which the prince replies along the lines of "No! No! I don't want an elephant inside a boa. Please, draw me a sheep." Eventually, he gets fed up and draws a box, telling the prince that the sheep is inside it, which makes the prince happy that he finally has a sheep.

This may have already been posted, but you can read the story, complete with illustrations, at http://www.odaha.com/antoine-de-saint-e ... tle-prince
Last edited by Whyareall on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:The problem with imagination is it does a lousy job of interacting with the physical world. And you look crazy when you talk to it.

Nyerguds

Postby Nyerguds » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:04 am UTC

westrim wrote:Guys complaining about the flower; it's from the cover of the book, you might as well complain about the crater being there.

It's a volcano! Not a crater...

I saw the title text pop up in the RSS feed before the image was loaded (the Opera RSS feed reader seems to prefer the Title text over the Alt text to show as Alt text. wtf. That, or the RSS version has no alt text), so I got it right away... even though I knew of the book I never actually read it. But I've successfully googled myself a pair of PDFs (English and French version; still not sure which one I'll read first) and put it on my Todo list :wink:
Last edited by Nyerguds on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:22 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

standinginherfield

Postby standinginherfield » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:16 am UTC

Nyerguds wrote:
westrim wrote:Guys complaining about the flower; it's from the cover of the book, you might as well complain about the crater being there.

It's a volcano! Not a crater...

I saw the title text pop up in the RSS feed before the image was loaded, so I got it right away... even though I knew of the book I never actually read it. But I've successfully googled myself a pair of PDFs (English and French version; still not sure which one I'll read first) and put it on my Todo list :wink:

(if you have the ability, do read the French first. i highly recommend it in case that has not been made clear :) )
maintain wonder.

Tormuse

Postby Tormuse » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:17 am UTC

I'm glad the alt-text was there; I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise. I only vaguely remember the "Little Prince" TV show from when I was a kid.
I'm not really that patriotic... really!

Nyerguds

Postby Nyerguds » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:20 am UTC

standinginherfield wrote:(if you have the ability, do read the French first. i highly recommend it in case that has not been made clear :) )

No problem for me. I'm Belgian; it's my second language. But for those with less language knowlegde, here's an English version:

http://wikilivres.info/wiki/The_Little_Prince
(heck, they got the French one too. And a bunch of others, too)

lunarul

Postby lunarul » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:32 am UTC

I don't know about the English translation, but I read the Romanian translation and the book was great... It's not really a children's book, it's more a book for adults who never gave up on being children.
I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:32 am UTC

Man this comic was great, I laughed quite a bit.

Is really The little prince so unknown?

sarabob

Postby sarabob » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:34 am UTC

pjt33 wrote:Woohoo! I hated the Little Prince. Maybe it was just the English translation, but it seemed to me to be written for 5 year-olds, and I was given a copy for my birthday in my teens.

Gave it to my 7-year-old - she read it with no problem whatsoever, but utterly failed to understand what the yellow flash by the prince's ankle was, nor any of the other heart-wrenching parts of the book.

I'm just glad that the rose is still there. It's been bothering me lately.

skordge

Postby skordge » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:37 am UTC

Oh, damn, did not get it, until I read the title text.

Yeah, it made me giggle =)
What do you mean, 'booze ain't food'?!

Tofu-Sama

Postby Tofu-Sama » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:40 am UTC

It took me a moment to recognize the reference to The Little Prince (Le Petit Prince for me, since I read it in a French Immersion class), but now I simultaneosly laughed and was somewhat sad...

EDIT: Hmm, after glancing over parts of the english version I can see many subtleties I missed reading it in a language I was just beginning to understand... I wish we didn't read that back in grade 9...
Last edited by Tofu-Sama on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Just Call me Tofu.

demadaha

Postby demadaha » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:42 am UTC

ricree wrote:
My Deep Impact/Little Prince crossover fanfic has been poorly received by the community.

As long as no one rule34s this, we're ok. :D

Just the suggestion of rule 34 in this case and the names of images that could be created make me decidedly not ok.

I choose to stop my mind before the actual images are formed.
Warning: Post may contain lame, overused reference.
That's no reference! It's a space station!

mjc0961

Postby mjc0961 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:55 am UTC

kcwong wrote:Because Deep Impact + Little Price wasn't well received, we now have Armageddon + Little Prince?

Oh good. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought of Armageddon for the first three panels. I was really confused when the alt text mentioned Deep Impact instead.

milN

Re: "Asteroid" Discussion

Postby milN » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:58 am UTC

That was sooo awesome! I always hated the little emo bastard =]

niccarpediem

Postby niccarpediem » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:10 am UTC

When the comic specified asteroid, I thought of Armageddon because in Deep Impact it was a comet. There were other notable differences between the movies, and I have always felt that Deep Impact got maligned. Also I did get all necessary references, but I think the real joy in xkcd is when you do discover something new that will probably enrich your life.

*notable exception to the enriching of life thing. I had to wiki rule34 back with the "wetriffs" comic...then I discovered 4chan. :( I didn't need that.

ysth

Postby ysth » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:18 am UTC

westrim wrote:Okay, now the number of people posting to say that they didn't get it without looking it up is getting annoying. The Little Prince is a classic of literature that's fit for kids.
Blech. About as suitable for kids as Catcher in the Rye: that is, not at all. Angsty suicidalness just plain doesn't belong in kids' "literature".
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

rocketrat

Postby rocketrat » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:04 am UTC

It bothers me slightly that that is in fact, as far as I know, not a "rover" but a probe.

Reginald

Postby Reginald » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:07 am UTC

"The little Prince" was the first thing I shared with my wife, who passed away last week.* So excuse me when I say this: Randall Munroe you dumbfuck asswanker, choke on your unfunny abomination of a webcomic. You made yourself a mortal enemy today.

I expect this post to be deleted shortly, so I rely on someone who can understand how I feel about this to deliver the message to Munroe. Thanks.

* Yeah well sorry, I'm a liar, that's just what I do for a living.
Last edited by Reginald on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”