0619: "Supported Features"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Aeetlrcreejl
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:41 am UTC

0619: "Supported Features"

Postby Aeetlrcreejl » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:57 am UTC

Image

Alt-text:I hear many of you finally have this support, but me and my Intel card are still waiting on a kernel patch somewhere in thet pipeline before we can watch Jon Stewart smoothly.
Last edited by Aeetlrcreejl on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:03 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
suso
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: Sky Grund
Contact:

Re: Supported Features

Postby suso » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:00 am UTC

What the hell Randall? Its not the fault of community developers for not supporting flash stuff, its Adobe.

They have been extremely slow in getting things like a native 64-bit flash plugin for Linux and I'm tired of waiting for them. Meanwhile, community developers have time to do other things like support 4096 processors. And the new version of Blender (2.5) is going to kick ass.
Imagine theres no signatures....

dasada122
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: Wherever you aren't looking at the moment.

Re: Supported Features

Postby dasada122 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:03 am UTC

Well, someone had to say it...
If Linux is going to slay the BEAST, they need to start at the bottom features. It irked me to see 5 different ways to alt tab in KDE 4, but none that worked well.

scwizard
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:29 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Supported Features

Postby scwizard » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:04 am UTC

Happy windows user here. This comic is pretty much the reason I switched from Linux to windows after trying Linux out.

Also this :P
~= scwizard =~

ComputerAnalysis
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 4:03 am UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby ComputerAnalysis » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:04 am UTC

Oh,....wow.
I've never noticed that full screen flash didn't work on Linux, I don't think I've ever used it...
Well that's an appropriate comic I suppose. It's surprising though, you'd think someone would have found a way around that.

User avatar
grim4593
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:23 am UTC

Re: Supported Features

Postby grim4593 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:05 am UTC

Maybe that is one of the reasons Linux has such a great system back-end. Since there is no point trying to waste time on flashy GUI's and hardware accelerated doodads they developed stability and great functionality.

User avatar
glasnt
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:18 am UTC
Location: SQUEE!

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby glasnt » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:06 am UTC

Thankfully we Stephen Colbert fans can be satisfied with 320x200 gif images to view our favourite political satirist.

*posts image of Colbert screaming BUNDTCAKE then cowering from the falling cake, an image which I can't find right now :( *

User avatar
plin25
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:32 am UTC
Location: Lost in my mind
Contact:

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby plin25 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:07 am UTC

At first, I misread "4,096" as "4,0%" and was utterly confused.
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ }<((((((º>

User avatar
J the Ninja
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:08 pm UTC
Location: Portland, USA
Contact:

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby J the Ninja » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:09 am UTC

If you send some goons to beat Adobe's ass into gear, could you remind them flash video playback on OS X sucks down 30-50% CPU time (on a dual core) for no good reason?
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

User avatar
kriel
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:58 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere I'm not.
Contact:

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby kriel » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:11 am UTC

It's so true. Flash is one of the few things that I really, REALLY wish worked well in linux. I'm tempted just to keep a VM around (virtualbox + xp + seamless mode = ossom) just for flash. Well, and the whole gaming thing, but nine times out of ten I really should be doing something BESIDES games..

Yes, flash sucks as a format. The problem? everyone's still using it. Come up with a better one. (ogg vs mp3, * vs quicktime, html strict vs html ie-version...)

User avatar
suso
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: Sky Grund
Contact:

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby suso » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:11 am UTC

Randall, in case none of you had noticed, Linux is used on like 80% of the world's top 500 super computers, so having support for large numbers of CPUs and high performance stuff might be important so that we can solve problems like if its going to rain in your fucking windows parade. :evil:
Imagine theres no signatures....

HighSpeedFallingObjects
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 2:15 am UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby HighSpeedFallingObjects » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:13 am UTC

plin25 wrote:At first, I misread "4,096" as "4,0%" and was utterly confused.


Me too, I just came here to understand that. I was like, what is that? A 4% CPU?

HighSpeedFallingObjects
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 2:15 am UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby HighSpeedFallingObjects » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:15 am UTC

Also, just like to say that Linux has too many shortcomings to overcome Windows or Mac OS X just yet, but I'm rooting for it. Sounds kinda cool, but I tried it and found it kind of inconvenient right now.

mattflaschen
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:24 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby mattflaschen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:15 am UTC

Flash is really not a problem on GNU/Linux, if you're willing to use Adobe Flash and proprietary drivers. Granted, I strongly prefer free software and drivers, and open formats. But the software is mostly there, in my experience.

10nitro
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Supported Features

Postby 10nitro » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:19 am UTC

suso wrote:What the hell Randall? Its not the fault of community developers for not supporting flash stuff, its Adobe.

They have been extremely slow in getting things like a native 64-bit flash plugin for Linux and I'm tired of waiting for them. Meanwhile, community developers have time to do other things like support 4096 processors. And the new version of Blender (2.5) is going to kick ass.

Yeah, complain about it to the GNU developers working on GNASH.

dasada122 wrote:Well, someone had to say it...
If Linux is going to slay the BEAST, they need to start at the bottom features.

What, you mean like stability, consistency, and having a complete operating system out-of-the-box, rather than having to add dozens of 3rd party apps to make a complete OS.

dasada122 wrote:It irked me to see 5 different ways to alt tab in KDE 4, but none that worked well.

See, that's your problem, you're using KDE... GNOME `just works'.

But you're real problem is that you think of the singular `Linux'. Linux isn't even most of the system, GNU has the largest share, and many other apps. A more accurate name is `GNU/Linux/X11/TeX/Perl/Python...'. (GNU usually the largest contignet, generally is 15-25% of the system, the Linux kernel only 1.5-3%) Each of these is a created by a separate group of people, with different goals.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

User avatar
kriel
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:58 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere I'm not.
Contact:

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby kriel » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:22 am UTC

mattflaschen wrote:Flash is really not a problem on GNU/Linux, if you're willing to use Adobe Flash and proprietary drivers.

With all my drivers up to date, etc. , and using the adobe flash plugin on Ubuntu 9.04, some flash applications (games come to mind) still lag. (Latest one that I remember: pixel on armorgames)

Again, linux really isn't into games that much at all, but the fact that it lags out to an unplayable level says something about its flash support.

Tath
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:26 am UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby Tath » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:23 am UTC

HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:
plin25 wrote:At first, I misread "4,096" as "4,0%" and was utterly confused.


Me too, I just came here to understand that. I was like, what is that? A 4% CPU?


Me too. I didn't understand till I saw suso's post.

'4,0%? Internalized? Lied? Analyzed? Or is it "attitudes"? Dammit.'

User avatar
DieJay
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:45 pm UTC
Location: here be dragons
Contact:

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby DieJay » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:24 am UTC

To be fair, I can understand where he's coming from. I don't think I'll ever have a need for 1024 cpus in the same pc, let alone 4096. And I'm pretty sure if you can build and run a super computer, writing a feature like that is pretty much child's play...

...then again, some people that work in the computing industry can't even use simple utilities like winzip.
Proud Duct-Tape Programmer since 2000.
"More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency (without necessarily achieving it) than for any other single reason - including blind stupidity."
-W.A. Wulf

dasada122
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: Wherever you aren't looking at the moment.

Re: Supported Features

Postby dasada122 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:29 am UTC

10nitro wrote:But you're real problem is that you think of the singular `Linux'.


Linii?

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:40 am UTC

This one was kinda funny.

I'm sticking with win7 (and XP at work).
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
Steve the Pocket
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:02 am UTC
Location: Going downtuuu in a Luleelurah!

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:41 am UTC

See, it's things like this that make me remind people that Linux was never designed to be a desktop system any more than Unix was. And it doesn't need to be. It's perfectly happy running 99%* of the world's Internet servers. Seriously, I spoke with it the other day and it told me so.

*Disclaimer: 38% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Elladan
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:31 am UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby Elladan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:41 am UTC

Adobe's Linux support is amazingly bad, which is why fullscreen doesn't work on most video cards (extra special true fact: they basically grep the OpenGL vendor name string for "NVidia" and disable hardware scaling if they don't find it). There's nothing anyone can do to fix this other than Adobe. Well, other than implementing OpenGL hardware vendor string spoofing, to go with userid spoofing in your browser, I suppose...

However, there's a simple workaround for fullscreen which works with most any card:

1. Use compiz. This is the default in some distributions, such as Ubuntu.
2. Enable "Enhanced Zoom Desktop." Hopefully, this is on by default too.
3. Hold down the meta key (it often has this weird wavy waffle shape on it) and wildly spin the scroll wheel to and fro.

The method by which you can solve the full screen flash problem will soon be obvious to you.

750
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:43 am UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby 750 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:45 am UTC

ouch, and here i thought calling a gtk function to see if gtk was loaded, before they load gtk was silly...

what kind of monkeys do adobe have working on linux flash?!

User avatar
'; DROP DATABASE;--
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am UTC
Location: Midwest Alberta, where it's STILL snowy
Contact:

Re: Supported Features

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:47 am UTC

I get the feeling Adobe is one of those companies who either doesn't care about Linux or (for rea$on$ I can't fathom :roll: ) wants it to fail, but provides "support" for it just so they don't look bad. I should note though that Flash works just fine for me, so plain old lousy coding is the more likely explanation.

suso wrote:What the hell Randall? Its not the fault of community developers for not supporting flash stuff, its Adobe.
Glad people realize this. My understanding is that by installing Adobe's Flash plugin, you are in fact automatically agreeing not to contribute to any open-source Flash plugins. And people wonder why those never get anywhere. :roll: Damn proprietary nonsense makes Linux look bad. (I'm looking at you especially, hardware manufacturers.)

With any luck, SVG and HTML5 video will spread enough and grow enough to replace Adobe's nonsense entirely. We all know IE will never support such things, but we can pray that people are willing to switch to an actual web browser for them. However, I fear there still needs to be a fair bit of advancement before this can happen. Last I checked there are still some things that only Flash can do, such as using the webcam and microphone.
Last edited by '; DROP DATABASE;-- on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

User avatar
glasnt
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:18 am UTC
Location: SQUEE!

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby glasnt » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:47 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:This one was kinda funny.

I'm sticking with win7 (and XP at work).

Ew.

Clearly Win 98 is the winner here.

Spoiler:
I hate XP, Vista, Linux.. 98 was awesome.... ok, XP is ok once you tweek it enough.. and get rid of the blue bubble taskbar...


HI JOEE!
Spoiler:
HI ETERNAL DENSITY!

evJeremy
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:35 am UTC

Re: Supported Features

Postby evJeremy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:49 am UTC

10nitro wrote:Yeah, complain about it to the GNU developers working on GNASH.

Why? The GNASH developers are having to essentially reverse engineer flash and figure out what all the opcodes mean and how to implement them. The only reason they even have support of Flash 7 is because MACROMEDIA (not adobe) had released the the info.

10nitro wrote:See, that's your problem, you're using KDE... GNOME `just works'.

Except when GNOME doesn't "just work," you have to revert to manually editing .conf files, which kind of defeats the purpose. Apparently, giving the user any kind of options or a preference dialog is strictly forbidden according to GNOME guidelines. See: gnome-screensaver.

10nitro wrote:But you're real problem is that you think of the singular `Linux'. Linux isn't even most of the system, GNU has the largest share, and many other apps. A more accurate name is `GNU/Linux/X11/TeX/Perl/Python...'. (GNU usually the largest contignet, generally is 15-25% of the system, the Linux kernel only 1.5-3%) Each of these is a created by a separate group of people, with different goals.

k. I guess most people are just using Windows/NT/WPF/Explorer/COMMAND.COM/CMD/VB Script.... then.


Oh, and I've hated Flash long before I found out how terribly supported it is on Linux. Like, around flash 5.

monkeyman8
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:41 am UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby monkeyman8 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:58 am UTC

HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:Also, just like to say that Linux has too many shortcomings to overcome Windows or Mac OS X just yet, but I'm rooting for it. Sounds kinda cool, but I tried it and found it kind of inconvenient right now.

I have to pint out that macs are based on linux (I cound bsd as linux) they just happen to have all the pitfalls of both Linux and Windows


kriel wrote:
mattflaschen wrote:Flash is really not a problem on GNU/Linux, if you're willing to use Adobe Flash and proprietary drivers.

With all my drivers up to date, etc. , and using the adobe flash plugin on Ubuntu 9.04, some flash applications (games come to mind) still lag. (Latest one that I remember: pixel on armorgames)

Again, linux really isn't into games that much at all, but the fact that it lags out to an unplayable level says something about its flash support.


Well it seems to me that, you're doing it wrong. I'm running a 9 year old laptop and linux runs flash games just fine, hell wine runs anything that meets system specs just fine. in fact I just tabbed out of Space Rangers 2 to tell you that you're wrong.

User avatar
Amora
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:28 pm UTC
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Contact:

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby Amora » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:01 am UTC

Who wants to watch Jon Stewart smoothly anyways?
Bloody Orange lover.

User avatar
Omegaton
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby Omegaton » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:08 am UTC

DieJay wrote:To be fair, I can understand where he's coming from. I don't think I'll ever have a need for 1024 cpus in the same pc, let alone 4096. And I'm pretty sure if you can build and run a super computer, writing a feature like that is pretty much child's play...

...then again, some people that work in the computing industry can't even use simple utilities like winzip.

I'm fairly sure back when the computer was first invented they didn't even think that anyone other than businesses would need them. If you invent something that could be useful, someone will find a use for it. I can't imagine it either, though maybe in the future that's a direction we'll go.

User avatar
StClair
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:07 am UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby StClair » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:19 am UTC

But, but, utility and usability has nothing to do with demonstrating the massive size of my programming wang!

R'nway
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:33 am UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby R'nway » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:20 am UTC

As I understand it (and have experienced), the drivers for Intel video cards are in a state of transition, and right now, any kind of fullscreen sucks, especially in KDE (Kubuntu 9.04 to be specific). Even VLC playback is jittery, but Flash is completely unusable. The problem is that right now, the mode that lets them access memory locations more efficiently isn't supported, so its basically doing all the work that the card would normally do in parallel on the CPU in serial. (CPU consumption is also roughly 75% when trying to watch Flash video.)

Also, note that fullscreen flash video worked marvelously on Kubuntu 8.10, and then went down the toilet when I upgraded to 9.04, without any change in the Flash plugin. So responsibility for this does lie with the Linux community, as they willingly admit. See http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904#Performance%20regressions%20on%20Intel%20graphics%20cards for more information.

On the other hand, as several have stated, a command line Linux install is rocking the house on my server!

Other references:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/252094
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/IntelPerformance

wakingrufus
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:53 am UTC

Re: Supported Features

Postby wakingrufus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:31 am UTC

dasada122 wrote:
10nitro wrote:But you're real problem is that you think of the singular `Linux'.


Linii?

linuces

the only problem i have with flash i high CPU usage, but i am using proprietary NVIDIA drivers and flashplugin-nonfree version 10 so i suppose that is why.

chinaman
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:33 am UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby chinaman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:37 am UTC

have been trying to suffer through ubuntu for the last year, but finally gave up tonight, for exactly this reason. after opening up chrome (yet another reason to ditch the penguin), xkcd was the first page i went to. i lol'd. hard.

have been lurking for about two years now, and this is the first comic that made me say, "ok, i have to register now."

User avatar
Werewolf
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:35 am UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby Werewolf » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:44 am UTC

I thought you were one of use, Randall. A loyal Linux user. How dare you point out an advantage of Wyndoze!

rflrob
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:45 pm UTC
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA, Terra, Sol
Contact:

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby rflrob » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:45 am UTC

From a friend, who doesn't have a forum account here:
firefox apparently has serious issues if you're looking at flash, but your page is SCROLLABLE
i found this out because the colbert report videos worked just fine, but the daily show videos did not
until i grabbed the url to the video player itself and stuck that in the url bar. then the daily show started playing much smoother.
Ten is approximately infinity (It's very large)
Ten is approximately zero (It's very small)

User avatar
dcxk
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:16 am UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby dcxk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:49 am UTC

At first I thought the comic referred to 4096 bit CPUs. Quite a shock since I was fairly certain we'd not reached 128.

"Xkcd: because Moore's law just isn't fucking cutting it."
She shatters the chains.~ Peter Kropotkin

User avatar
Max2009
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:20 pm UTC
Location: Where?
Contact:

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby Max2009 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:04 am UTC

So I can't watch full screen flash. Big deal! Why would I want to?

I still feel superior because the last time my computer crashed was over a year ago, when Vista kamikaze'd for the last time.
I will take stability over pointless "bling" any day.
And apparently, so will many others. As seen on Slashdot.
And it turns out that Mac users think so too.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

Image

jtolds
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:07 am UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby jtolds » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:12 am UTC

No no no no Randall. I registered for this forum just cause of this comic.

I want to point out again what Elladan said just in case anyone missed it, because it's key.

Elladan wrote:Adobe's Linux support is amazingly bad, which is why fullscreen doesn't work on most video cards (extra special true fact: they basically grep the OpenGL vendor name string for "NVidia" and disable hardware scaling if they don't find it). There's nothing anyone can do to fix this other than Adobe. Well, other than implementing OpenGL hardware vendor string spoofing, to go with userid spoofing in your browser, I suppose...

However, there's a simple workaround for fullscreen which works with most any card:

1. Use compiz. This is the default in some distributions, such as Ubuntu.
2. Enable "Enhanced Zoom Desktop." Hopefully, this is on by default too.
3. Hold down the meta key (it often has this weird wavy waffle shape on it) and wildly spin the scroll wheel to and fro.

The method by which you can solve the full screen flash problem will soon be obvious to you.


I use this functionality on my Mac too, because Adobe's fullscreen scaling on Apple is just as jittery for me as it is on Linux. On Macs, if you hold down, um, either control or function, now I don't recall which, and then use the scroll wheel on your mouse (like, if you have a mighty mouse), you can get the operating system to do the rescaling for you by zooming in and out. The flash video fullscreen just always sucks for me no matter which way you cut it.

Having the operating system do the rescaling is far more effective, as it's much more likely to work well with hardware assistance.

boshi
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:08 am UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby boshi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:18 am UTC

Hi everyone, first post.

Randal, have you tried making sure that your CPU frequency scaling isn't failing to clock for flash? There is a handy widget for that in the default ubuntu installation of gnome that will show realtime scaling info.

Intel enhanced speedstep was a big help on the pentium-m series cpus, but ubuntu still doesn't seem to deal with it quite correctly by default.

I had that problem with Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04. Whatever frequency tool it shipped with would increase the frequency on any commands with a nice of 0, but on anything even more nice it wouldn't clock at all, including for flashplayer. So there I had a 1.73GHz cpu, of which I could only use 800MHz.

I used apt to remove whatever that tool was and instead installed the ( very friendly and easy to configure ) cpufreqd. This clocks the cpu up even on nice processes ( according to how you set it in the config file ) and I haven't had any problems with flash since then.

Also I'd like to warn that disabling the cpu frequency scaling outright is a bad idea. Both windows and ubunutu both do a lot of background frequency scaling on laptops, and it will get your cpu quite toasty idling at full clockspeed, and there is no measurable performance benefit according to my testing between "ondemand" and full speed modes.

My current configuration:
Thinkpad Z60m
Intel Pentium-M 740 ( 1.73GHz 90nm, 32 bits )
1.5GB DDR2
Intel 915G chipset ( GMA 900 Video )
Ubuntu 9.04

Benson
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

Postby Benson » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:29 am UTC

monkeyman8 wrote:I have to pint out that macs are based on linux (I cound bsd as linux) they just happen to have all the pitfalls of both Linux and Windows

Please don't (count *BSD as Linux).

Linux isn't what makes my Linux & NetBSD boxen so much more pleasant to work with than my one XP box. Nor (despite what RMS would like to think) is GNU, nor yet NetBSD. Those are all valuable chunks of code, but they're replaceable. What sets these apart is UNIX, which is a concept (or maybe a collection of concepts), not code. (UNIX is also a trademark, of course, but I'm not using it in that sense.)

Now OS X is a UNIX implementation to the same extent that e.g. Ubuntu is, so replacing "linux" with "UNIX" (or something like "*nix", if you like, to avoid concept/trademark confusion) in your statement above leaves you with something true. But talking about Linux in this case (and, IMO, about 40-50% of the time people use it) is just plain wrong and misleading.


BTW, count me among the briefly puzzled about the 4,0% CPUs. :shock:


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 91 guests