0620: "Wings"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Re: "Wings" Discussion

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:11 am UTC

This comic was a triumph.

My favourite bit was how the Blackhat Guy was in it.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Mavrisa

Postby Mavrisa » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:13 am UTC

Well we can easily see where Randall got the idea for this comic... Oh wikipedia...
"I think nature's imagination is so much greater than man's, she's never gonna let us relax."

WontonSoup

Postby WontonSoup » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:25 am UTC

neurodan wrote:I just want to know how to parse the alt-text...

Where do I put the parentheses??

Please (do not try any of this and) die or get arrested.

Obviously.
Last edited by WontonSoup on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:25 am UTC

A heat source strong enough to melt glue at that distance will be noticeable - as in "did another sun just come up?" if not first-degree burns - long before the wings come apart.

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:37 am UTC

cqli wrote:According to Henry Petroski, modern accident reconstruction investigators have determined the altitude that Icarus must have been at and the temperature would have been very cold.

Yes. And Icarus's lack of a keeled sternum is another hole in the story. :wink:
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

sithwalrus

Postby sithwalrus » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:42 am UTC

I have already kind of did this...
No, i didn't do the math based of titan, or use a bridge, but i had a nice trebuchet, so i altered the weight to match my own (accounting for the arms leverage), tied myself on with a harness (and a rope to pull myself back to the ground) got a couple stiff pieces of siding, and managed to fly around for a while. since they were not real wings they didn't work well, (it was more like swimming really) but i am sure this can be done.
with the last comic, i said that Randal had shattered my image of his nerdiness, and i wanted him to reprove it in his next one, and i just wanted to say, well done dude. That was probably the most awesome xkcd ever.
Now i want to do it for real. lets all support this "myth" as strongly as possible, post it on every forum, and the mythbusters site, and within the year, we should see this in action. i look forward to the day.

Kisama

Postby Kisama » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:44 am UTC

Yay a clever and funny and sciency comic again! Now I remember why I started reading xkcd in the first place :)

[EDIT - Stupid question removed]
cd880b726e0a0dbd4237f10d15da46f4

Charlie!

Postby Charlie! » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:11 am UTC

Hm, I guess you'd need to start the bricks off with the greek mythology fans at the top of the bridge and cut the rope length by a third.

And after that you'd need to rush Mr. Flier to the burn ward, since the wings will dissipate heat too quickly unless they've got that heat lamp set to "homocide."
Some people tell me I laugh too much. To them I say, "ha ha ha!"

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:34 am UTC

Yeah, the whole bricks-being-on-ground and rope-being-slack confused the heck out of me.

Who says XKCD is unsuitable for liberal-arts majors?! I bet none of you engineering types understood the comic's subtle yet brilliant anti-colonial theme shown by BHG standing atop the industrialized bridge while melting the organic and "natural" wings of the protagonist. The third friend is obviously a reference to the translator; the imperialistic colonial culture maintains its archetypal non-communication with the oppressed nation.

Randall's critique of the artificiality of western culture (for it is an explicitly European allusion that motivates the colonialist!) stifling all other forms of self-expression is genius.

Sheer genius.
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

Benson

Postby Benson » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:35 am UTC

Sucram wrote:
knight427 wrote:
Sucram wrote:What one needs to do this effectively is a modified "auto-belay". Otherwise as soon as he flaps his wings the effect the bricks are having on him will change.
Ok..more to the point.. it won't be consistant like atmospheric pressure and gravity. With the autobelay, one simply adjusts the settings and hey presto it pulls 91% of your mass regardless of how high you are or if you're flapping. When you flap, you'll go up, you can glide and you can fall...but more slowly.

Feel free to contradict my hypothesis.
Or to supply me with your skill in adjusting auto-belays...I have the device but not the brains.

No, the bricks will pull him with the same force regardless of whether he is flapping his wings. There may be some jerkiness from the rope stretching, maybe.

After Googling “auto belay”, I don’t think it would work. It needs to be anchored to the ground in place of the suspended bricks and adjusted to provide the right resistance, which will allow it act the same as the bricks when he is falling (slowing his decent). But the belay does not provide any pulling force (as far as I know) so it would not allow him to get airborne in the first place.

I was actually reffering to top mounted autobelays. They're very much like seatbelts. But more fun. And the inconsistancy I was reffering to with the bricks wasn't so much the force as when the bricks hit the ground cause you've gone too high. Top mounted auto belay gives you alot of freedom.

The bricks hitting the ground shouldn't be an issue; the rope as shown has too much slack, but in reality you'd have the bricks 20 feet or so off the ground when you're on the ground. One of the simplest ways to accomplish this is to start with a long rope (as shown), and haul down on it to lift the bricks 20 feet before fastening it to your harness at that point -- maybe that's what birdman is planning to do.

The real issue is that your mass is now 1.91x what it should be, plus a tiny amount for the rotating mass in the pulleys, and a similar or greater amount for the rope. This is gonna completely trash the dynamics for real flight, although I suppose it would still be good enough for testing launch/climb power.

You, sir, name? wrote:I wanna try it. But I don't want to die or get arrested, though. I may also need frictionless pulleys and mass-less rope. Damn, I can't seem to buy these ideal mechanical components anywhere! Don't they manufacture them anymore?!

No need for massless rope as long as you keep the length on both sides roughly the same; a few feet one way or other won't matter if you have the power surplus to manage controlled flight, and if you start below the bricks (as is natural), you start at a disadvantage. If the weight really bothers you, leave a doubled-over tail on the counterweight end of the rope, and ensure it's long enough to coil up on the ground. That way that end gets unweighted as fast as your end. Naturally, factor the (now-static) imbalance into your counterweight figure.

Much the same argument can be made for the pulleys; certainly I'd be much more concerned with the effect of multiplying your mass by 1.91 than adding a few ounces of friction. Unfortunately, however, I can't suggest a way to mitigate their effects.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:44 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Couldn't one just decapitate a man and a bull and stitch them back together in the wrong order? I don't think anyone has tried that as of late, and previous attempts probably failed because they didn't have immunosuppressants. Either way, you don't need it to live all that long. Just long enough for a photo op.

Oh, good point. It would be like the 'RUSSIANS CUT APART AND REASSEMBLE DOGS' thing.
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:01 am UTC

I too was rushed to the burn ward because of the cheese.

I'm glad to see a really funny xkcd comic again. Geeky physics and cool injuries, what could be better?
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

EugeneSlipped

Postby EugeneSlipped » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:03 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:Wow, that looks like it'd be a ton of fun... The flying part, not the falling.

You know what, just get Mythbusters to build it and try it, I'm sure they'd be all for that.
That's what I was thinking the whole time while reading this thread, I'd love to have the Mythbusters try it out!

squishycube

Postby squishycube » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:07 am UTC

ryannayr417 wrote:[H]is son Icarus was the retard that tempted fate and drowned.

No. Icarus was the one who dreamed and pushed the limit in an attempt to achieve more. Without people like Icarus mankind would still be sitting in a cave being cold. Obviously these people fail and get hurt sometimes. Admittedly this is not part of the original moral of the story, which is (depending on source) to do with moderation.
My usual approach is useless here

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:37 am UTC

Good thing he separated his pulleys, so as to avoid the Why Murphy's Not At Work problem.

Decorian

Postby Decorian » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:17 am UTC

He does seem to be flying in a circle. But that would probably be harder as you would then have the problem of the rope not being perfectly vertical, and you would need to take into account that reduced lift in the weight of the bricks.

A simpler option would be to just fly vertically upwards by flapping with a hummingbird style forwards and backwards power strokes. Of course then you'd need an extra 'wing' or tail between your legs to stabalise yourself.

breintje

Postby breintje » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:19 am UTC

Rope: Check, Hot Glue: Check, various wing materials: Check. Hmm, lessee if i can find any (frictionless) pulleys around here. And some 70 Kg of mass.

For some actual free three-dimensional "flight" you would probably need a sort of gantry crane setup, allowing you to move not only vertically, but also laterally over both the X and Z axes. At which point you will need massless gantries, in order not to totally screw up the dynamics. Or power and computerize it, but that's no fun.

I have seen something comparable though, made by mechanical engineering students from the university of Twente. It consists of a harness which is positioned at the end of a long beam in a fork, with a counterweight on the other side. This way you can jump over the thing, in a half-circle some 5-6 metres in radius. The whole contraption can also rotate around the vertical axis so you can pretty much move around the surface of a hemisphere in the air.
Edit: it's called Megajump and you can see it here.
Breintje

WhiteAvenger

Postby WhiteAvenger » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:32 am UTC

At the risk of sounding stupid - I don't get the 91%. Can anyone explain that to me?

Aside from that, brilliant comic. The ending actually made me ROFL.

pueben

Postby pueben » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:35 am UTC

ryannayr417 wrote:Hooray for a modern day Daedalus!

First person to claim this is Icarus gets stabbed in the face. Daedalus came up with the wing idea, his son Icarus was the retard that tempted fate and drowned. Well, I suppose either would be appropriate here as the guy did get his wings melted.... Hmm, it ain't easy being an elitist.

Well, if you want to get Ovidianly technical, it's actually more like 50/50, since Ikaros was the one who flew too close to the sun. The twist here would then either have the effect of turning Ikaros into the cunning worker, or Daidalos into the metaphor for pride and recklessness.

WhiteAvenger wrote:At the risk of sounding stupid - I don't get the 91%. Can anyone explain that to me?

Aside from that, brilliant comic. The ending actually made me ROFL.

The ending is a reference to Greek mythology characters Daidalos and Ikaros. Daedalus was a "skillful artificer" who created wings for his son Ikaros, who then flew too close to the sun.

http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITB ... oc64106497 :)
That translation, which I haven't read, seems to put it in more modern terms, and has seemingly skipped verse altogether.
His nearness to the devouring sun softened the fragrant wax that held the wings: and the wax melted: he flailed with bare arms, but losing his oar-like wings, could not ride the air. Even as his mouth was crying his father’s name, it vanished into the dark blue sea, the Icarian Sea, called after him.

jomala

Postby jomala » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:50 am UTC

I hesitate to say this, but I don't get the physics either, and I think I should!

My calc suggests that (for the sake of argument and simple maths) a 100kg man is roughly the density of water and therefore occupies 0.1 cubic meters, and therefore weighs roughly 1000N in a vacuum and gets 1N back from buoyancy in air. On Titan he'll weigh 140N in a vacuum and get back 1.5N in buoyancy. That doesn't explain the 9% figure. Perhaps that is contigent on the efficiency of wings, but I'd have thought the limiting factor would be the power output of your arms, and wings could be designed for any atmospheric density.

Sorry about taking this too seriously, but I'm curious!

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:41 am UTC

WhiteAvenger wrote:At the risk of sounding stupid - I don't get the 91%. Can anyone explain that to me?
Between the reduced gravity and the increased buoyancy from the atmosphere, you would only need to generate 9% of your (Earth) body weight as lift to be able to fly. So, by putting 91% of his weight in bricks on the other end of the pulley, it leaves him with (effectively) 9% of his Earth body weight. Once he can generate this 9% by flapping, he can fly, proving the principle.

I really liked this one, the art in the bridge scene is great and I burst out laughing at the end.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

DarthDaver

Postby DarthDaver » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:47 am UTC

From the title and the first panel I put together the basic joke... But I NEVER saw the punchline :)
Geeky webcomic drawn by my girlfriend, check it out!!!

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:05 am UTC

Does anyone else remember Randall discussing this very same concept at one of his talks for MIT? Atleast I think it was, or maybe Google. Seriously this EXACT idea was drawn out and brought up. Anyway, very, very awesome comic, although even if the wings fell off I'm sure his descent would be a lot slower than usual so BHG isn't that much of a dick after all.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Charlie!

Postby Charlie! » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:23 am UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:Does anyone else remember Randall discussing this very same concept at one of his talks for MIT I think it was, or maybe Google. Seriously this EXACT idea was drawn out and brought up. Anyway, very, very awesome comic, although even if the wings fell off I'm sure his descent would be a lot slower than usual so BHG isn't that much of a dick after all.

Huh.
Some people tell me I laugh too much. To them I say, "ha ha ha!"

aylalalalalala

Postby aylalalalalala » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:34 am UTC

by DSDM » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:08 am UTC

Good thing he didn't try running a labyrinth. His Greek mythology friends would need to make a Minotaur to make it authentic, and bestiality is illegal. At least in most states, I think.DSDM

win lol!
as an ex-engineering student and present classics major, this comic ftw! :D
If you were a guitar... I'd pluck you

mheney

Postby mheney » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:10 pm UTC

Cielmerlion wrote:IS there really any possibility that anyone that reads this wont want to try it? I just wish puerto rico had bigger bridges.

Who needs bridges when you've got that great antenna there? The supports for the feed horn are PERFECT!

And there's even a place for the heat lamp!

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

I think this could have been executed differently... something more like:

Same two first panels, with guy describing the scenario. Third panel, the two pause and look at each other... may be one asks the other if they have some rope.

Then cut to the large panel, where guy and girl have constructed two sets of wings and are trying them out under the bridge.

Next panels:

Guy: "Careful, you don't want to fly up too high."
Girl: "Don't worry, Daedalus, the sun isn't going to melt my wings."
Guy: "It's not the sun I'm concerned about."

Last panel would just show the black hat guy with the heat lamp on the bridge deck.
Last edited by uncivlengr on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know what to do for you

HAXUSTHEGREAT

Postby HAXUSTHEGREAT » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:18 pm UTC

It is funny because you have to be into Mythology to know about Icarus because a regular person is too retarded and will wonder if it's some new meal at McDonalds and will look like a fol next time he orders a "McIcarus".

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 pm UTC

Ghavrel wrote:Yeah, the whole bricks-being-on-ground and rope-being-slack confused the heck out of me.

Who says XKCD is unsuitable for liberal-arts majors?! I bet none of you engineering types understood the comic's subtle yet brilliant anti-colonial theme shown by BHG standing atop the industrialized bridge while melting the organic and "natural" wings of the protagonist. The third friend is obviously a reference to the translator; the imperialistic colonial culture maintains its archetypal non-communication with the oppressed nation.

Randall's critique of the artificiality of western culture (for it is an explicitly European allusion that motivates the colonialist!) stifling all other forms of self-expression is genius.

Sheer genius.
You!

Yes you!

I like you.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Wolfkeeper

Postby Wolfkeeper » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:15 pm UTC

I want to build a giant Tizio lamp mechanism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizio) big enough to lift a person. That would allow you to move around in three dimensions.

Bearing friction is potentially an issue, but using hydrostatic air bearings would remove all the friction.

You would have extra momentum though due to the arm, and I'm not sure what the maximum realistic length would be; a few tens of feet seems possible though.

Another way of doing similar things I came up with is to use loops of cables. If you have 3 loops with counterweights placed on them then the weight of the cable doesn't matter- the picture in the comic is unstable because as the flier goes up, the amount of cable on the counterweight side increases and you tend to fly upwards faster and faster; using a loop avoids this issue.

The other problem with the comic is that the flight is self centering, although a tall enough bridge reduces this.

Sucram

Postby Sucram » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

knight427 wrote:
Sucram wrote:
I was actually reffering to top mounted autobelays. They're very much like seatbelts. But more fun. And the inconsistancy I was reffering to with the bricks wasn't so much the force as when the bricks hit the ground cause you've gone too high. Top mounted auto belay gives you alot of freedom.

I see what you mean about the bricks bumping the ground if you are at max altitude. But there is still the problem of the belay not pulling up (only proving resistance on the way down). At least I assume that is how they work, otherwise it kind of spoils the challenge of climbing, no?

That's what I mean by modifying it. The belay has to put up slightly as it is, otherwise it won't pick up slack rope as you climb (and then you will presumably fall to your doom). I simply suggest that instead of pulling up with a force which would normally only slightly exceed that of the ropes own weight, change that force to something like (lame 3 second math) 80*0.91=ctrl-c-ctrl-t-ctrl v google=728N...

drewster1829

Postby drewster1829 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

WontonSoup wrote:

Obviously.

Dang! You got to it first. I was thinking the same interpretation of the alt-text. :D
"Distrust your judgment the moment you can discern the shadow of a personal motive in it."
-- Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Alsadius

Postby Alsadius » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

jomala wrote:I hesitate to say this, but I don't get the physics either, and I think I should!

My calc suggests that (for the sake of argument and simple maths) a 100kg man is roughly the density of water and therefore occupies 0.1 cubic meters, and therefore weighs roughly 1000N in a vacuum and gets 1N back from buoyancy in air. On Titan he'll weigh 140N in a vacuum and get back 1.5N in buoyancy. That doesn't explain the 9% figure. Perhaps that is contigent on the efficiency of wings, but I'd have thought the limiting factor would be the power output of your arms, and wings could be designed for any atmospheric density.

Sorry about taking this too seriously, but I'm curious!

It's not about buoyancy, it's about lift. The assumption is that you gain 50% more lift from flapping wings in a 50% thicker atmosphere. Thus, the same action that would generate 140N of lift on Titan will generate ~90N of lift on Earth, or 9% of your 1000N weight. I'm not sure if this assumption is valid - there has to be a limit on the down-force your arms can provide regardless of medium(for example, he couldn't lift seven tons by using wings underwater) - but that's the basis of it.

Schmerzenkind

Postby Schmerzenkind » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:14 pm UTC

I love that bridge. It's beautiful with a great atmosphere. And it also serves as a priceless setting for the Black Hat.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

WontonSoup wrote:

Obviously.

FAIL.

"Please do not try any of this and (die or get arrested)."

BTW, your version is pretty funny if you remove the parenthetical section.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

autoclave239

Postby autoclave239 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:05 pm UTC

Okay, this is all well and good, but what I want to know is, how big would the wings have to be for you to use them to lift 9% of your mass?

Sappharos

Postby Sappharos » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

Has anyone ever seen a heat lamp with a big bold label saying "HEAT LAMP" that you can read from a mile away? Usually it's "BLACK & DECKER" or something...
Taking into account the necessary suspension of disbelief, though, excellent comic! :D

dcxk

Postby dcxk » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

According to Henry Petroski, modern accident reconstruction investigators have determined the altitude that Icarus must have been at and the temperature would have been very cold.
Classical retcons are not allowed. Obviously Icarus flew (holding his breath mind you) out of earth's atmosphere to the sun (to a proximity sufficient to melt the wax), whence he was slungshot back to earth, only to fall to his death in the exact same inertially translated coordinates which he would have reached had he merely fallen.
It's the only historically correct and scientifically consistent explanation!
She shatters the chains.~ Peter Kropotkin

Cedric Tsui

Postby Cedric Tsui » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:54 pm UTC

What's more.

Hot Glue melts at 250-380°F. There would be a little bit of burning skin.

pminva

Postby pminva » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:56 pm UTC

Sappharos »

Has anyone ever seen a heat lamp with a big bold label saying "HEAT LAMP" that you can read from a mile away? Usually it's "BLACK & DECKER" or something...

Actually I got one from ACME that said "HEAT LAMP" on it. It was a rebuilt one that had previously been returned by another customer (W Coy.. something) and came in a big crate with the name "ACME" on the side.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”