0173: "Movie Seating"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:05 am UTC

In my experience people just kind of flop into the various seats and are either forced to become buddies with the person beside them or to begin a feud that will last many generations. It all depends on the distance between the two peoples preferred-amount-of-movie-talking value, really.

http://www.xkcd.com/c173.html

myoumyouou

Postby myoumyouou » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:11 am UTC

yeah, and it kinda sucks when you're stuck between two couples who are paying no attention to the movie whatsoever and arn't being discrete about it either.
everything you've ever thought about has been thought about before. think about it

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:14 am UTC

I have to say my friends are pretty good at the strategic placement of people. Last time we went, they cunningly arranged for me to be next to the guy I liked and the chocolates (which I bought) to be in the seat on the other side, so every time I wanted one, I'd have to lean over him.

Or poke him in the ribs. But, you know, it was a good theory!

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu

Postby EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:26 am UTC

hermaj wrote:I have to say my friends are pretty good at the strategic placement of people. Last time we went, they cunningly arranged for me to be next to the guy I liked and the chocolates (which I bought) to be in the seat on the other side, so every time I wanted one, I'd have to lean over him.

Or poke him in the ribs. But, you know, it was a good theory!

Yet another reason to _only_ go with your significant other. The last thing you need at the theatre is an accidental three- or foursome.

For bonus points, be romantic during inappropriate moments: when the hero/heroine has been mortally wounded, when Darth is chokin' an underling, Schindler's List, or even when the first Xenomorph is "born" during (a revival of) Alien.
When you have at your disposal a hammer made of three spacefaring battleships, do you still need to pay taxes?

iamscottevil

Hmmm

Postby iamscottevil » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:28 am UTC

Is that one couple both men in the illustration? No judgement, just art question.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:39 am UTC

Oh no, it's a hetero relationship. Theres a missing circle. xkcd will post movie_seating_r.jpg in a few hours...
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

Pau!
Dutiful Sycophant

Postby Pau! » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:01 am UTC

I find when going with 7+ people, it's best to use two rows, in such a way that
that couples sit in the corners for minimum disturbance while connecting you to the most people possible.

= in a relationship
-friend

So ideally, if you're a large group, the most polite thing to do is sit in either the left or right seat groups, beside the walls. You block/annoy the smallest number of people. So with the wall being on the left, you'd go
X=X-f-f-f
X=X-f-f-f

In this case, if the significant other is not already integrated into the group, you place them to the right of the already integrated one so they are forced to be included in the conversation.

MightyMouse

Postby MightyMouse » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:48 am UTC

Poor guy at the bottom I say, unless his courting's successful this film is not going to be enjoyable for him.

kira
I hate bananas.

Postby kira » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:37 am UTC

Usually, my friends and I would end up doing a very simple version of a shortest path algorithm. That is, each person sits next to the person that they have the strongest relationship with.

Of course, usually there's only like four or five of us which is a much easier group size.

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:17 am UTC

With us, once you have passed through the doors to the theatre, the line you are in is final. No overtaking allowed...single file at all times.

These are the unspoken (but now typed) rules.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:08 pm UTC

Would have been funnier if two couples had one way crushes on two other single people. Or a circle of one way crushes D:

/rant
i hurd u liek mudkips???

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:23 pm UTC

Doesn't anybody go to the movies to watch the movie anymore!?!

You people sicken me.

I guess the good old days of the movies are over now, with an (personally recorded over the past two years) average of 18 minutes of previews + COMMERCIALS. We already paid to see the movie, why do we have to see ads? Its funny how just about everything on the internet lets you pay to get rid of the ads, but the movie prices go up, then they show you ads. Plus, the popcorn is barely even edible these days.

Unless what you are saying is funny, then I'll laugh right along with you. High quality social commentary is always welcome!
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:24 pm UTC

I think I need to stop making obscure references. No one got it?

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:47 pm UTC

my friends are generally pretty bad at this, but then i don't like talking during films anyway, i'm always scared that whatever 1 line i miss will be pivotal to the whole thing... so i guess it doesn't really matter, unless you were seated beside someone you disliked.
slow down, you move too fast

MightyMouse

Postby MightyMouse » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:18 pm UTC

Social interaction makes bad films enjoyable and good films amazingly good (exchanging views on just how good something was always makes it seem even better). Talking of which, if anyone hasn't seen 'Children of Men' yet, then WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE?

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:25 pm UTC

I would say something inappropriate and not actually true, but instead i'll say "Getting by on incredible good fortune".

Now, here I link the problems I have in movies to my incredible good fortune. I don't like anything interrupting a movie (some movies I don't mind so much, or if i'm not officially watching it, it's just on). My problem is that sometimes I'll be at a movie with a girl and she'll be all over me and I just want to watch the movie but I can't concentrate on it.

In large groups we tend to just form into preferred order as we enter, by walking alongside who we like more.

WhiteRabbit
Railgun of Infinite Patience

Postby WhiteRabbit » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:34 pm UTC

I've been looking at a similar problem, that of mapping out relationships in my local social network. I started using Graphviz to produce the charts and I put the source file in my subversion repository.

Edited for extraneous commas.
Last edited by WhiteRabbit on Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:39 pm UTC

WhiteRabbit wrote:I've been looking at a similar problem, that of mapping out relationships, in my local social network. I started using Graphviz to produce the charts and I put the source file in my subversion repository.

Haha, you kill me. You would never find this anywhere normal people hang out.

Viva la Geek!
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

blueboybob

Postby blueboybob » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:27 pm UTC

Love the comic but,
This is not possible, some nodes have 3 edges and therfore that means that person is sitting by three people and in a row thats impossible. Furthermore only one person has one edge which is fine because they are sitting on teh end of the row, but someone else must also only have one edge because they would either be sitting at the other end of the row or next to some stranger (which i dispise doing at the movies)... these are just a few things I have noticed... but funny any how

Appleswitch

Postby Appleswitch » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:37 pm UTC

Intruduction: I'm a newbie who got hooked and read everything, now the feed holds a special place in my heart :)

Anyway, I have to say "Moivie Seating" Is my favorite yet. The bottom picture is a network I drew up a few months back and the top one Is a network my friend had made, which he sent me after I told him about mine :P

I guess Its just something all geeks have in common

P.S. I did mine in Omni Graffle :D

Appleswitch

Postby Appleswitch » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:41 pm UTC

I think thats why it's called "Computationally Difficult" :)

wisnij

Re: Official "Movie Seating" Thread

Postby wisnij » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:42 pm UTC

blueboybob wrote:Love the comic but,
This is not possible, some nodes have 3 edges and therfore that means that person is sitting by three people and in a row thats impossible. Furthermore only one person has one edge which is fine because they are sitting on teh end of the row, but someone else must also only have one edge because they would either be sitting at the other end of the row or next to some stranger (which i dispise doing at the movies)... these are just a few things I have noticed... but funny any how

No, the graph only represents relationships between the moviegoers. The point of the problem is to determine the how to remove enough edges from the graph to make it a line, while maximizing total "enjoyment" (presumably represented as the weight of edges of the graph).

In real life a group of friends would probably have a much denser graph, but that would make it harder to draw nicely.
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:01 pm UTC

Gutted to be Hank, Emi or Ali...

The Josh-Kris-Sarah-Billy set is interesting. How come they're in your network at all if they're not connected with the rest?

Appleswitch

Missing conections

Postby Appleswitch » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:05 pm UTC

(Hank, Emi or Ali) and the Josh-Kris-Sarah-Billy set just have missing conections that I don't know enough about to graph, even though I know they are connected somehow. It's actually a really complicated thing to try to map out, worked on that for a number of hours :P

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:15 pm UTC

Check for discussion threads before you make another one.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?t=444

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:16 pm UTC

Use this thread for discussing the comic, damnit! We don't need three discussion topics.

I mean, THREE! I can understand someone accidentally making another one, but two people did it!

Appleswitch

Postby Appleswitch » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:27 pm UTC

My topic was more along the lines of related, instead of direct discusion. I knew about the other two and thought my post would be better organised in Its own topic, sorry if the name was confusing. Anyways, back to our sceduled brodcasting?

Intruduction: I'm a newbie who got hooked and read everything, now the feed holds a special place in my heart :)

Anyway, I have to say "Moivie Seating" Is my favorite yet. The bottom picture is a network I drew up a few months back and the top one Is a network my friend had made, which he sent me after I told him about mine. :D

I guess Its just something all geeks have in common :P

Last edited by Appleswitch on Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"let me make graphs like that, just point and click and make it look nice. I want to map my social networks too! Unfortunately, I don't have a mac." -xkcd
Poor windows users, with your lack of good software :( quality > quantity

Sitnaltax

Postby Sitnaltax » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:43 pm UTC

All of this is almost as complicated as deciding what urinal to use.
I will not succumb to evil, unless she's cute.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:44 pm UTC

Obviously, you should always use the stall.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:53 pm UTC

Maxim Magazine says to avoid the urinal adjacent to that of another man, except in the case where the other urinals are filled to the brim. However, given the oppurtunity to wait an average of 17 seconds, one must wait that time if there is no possible urinal to occupy without breaking the first rule.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:09 pm UTC

I've stopped going to movies with my friedns after seeing SUperman Returns at the iMax with special 3d scenes. I'm sure at one point Dave tried to jack off a goat.

kira
I hate bananas.

Postby kira » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:30 am UTC

Ephphatha wrote:I think I need to stop making obscure references. No one got it?

You were referencing a past xkcd strip in which two circles were left out, correct?

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:40 am UTC

No dice. I was referring to a chart made about sexual relationships in an american college. Some organisation found out who slept with who and plotted it on a big chart. In one version there was a guy who was linked to 8 girls and one guy, then a revised version was put up a few hours later with a pink circle between the two guys.

It was a YTMND fad for a while.

kira
I hate bananas.

Re: Official "Movie Seating" Thread

Postby kira » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:44 am UTC

blueboybob wrote:Love the comic but,
This is not possible... these are just a few things I have noticed... but funny any how

Love this comment but,
you totally didn't get the joke. But you seem nice anyhow!

xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby xkcd » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:14 am UTC

Appleswitch wrote:My topic was more along the lines of related, instead of direct discusion. I knew about the other two and thought my post would be better organised in Its own topic, sorry if the name was confusing. Anyways, back to our sceduled brodcasting?

Anyway, I have to say "Moivie Seating" Is my favorite yet. The bottom picture is a network I drew up a few months back and the top one Is a network my friend had made, which he sent me after I told him about mine. :D

I guess Its just something all geeks have in common :P

I once spent, and I am not exaggerating at all here, eight hours googling to try to find a simple program that would let me make graphs like that, just point and click to add stuff, and let it arrange them to generally make it look nice. EIGHT HOURS. I still don't have one. I want to map my social networks too!

Unfortunately, I don't have a mac. But maybe someone here can recommend one?

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Postby athelas » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:39 am UTC

DeathByOSI

Postby DeathByOSI » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:49 am UTC

This is just what I needed, the entirely pointless problem to help me learn python. Thank you xkcd =)

aran

Postby aran » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:53 am UTC

I originally thought this comic was going to involve red-black trees or some other sort of tree data structure to determine the seating of people based on some "sociability" scale. :D

Bluebottle

Postby Bluebottle » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:14 am UTC

Socially optimal? TBy that I presume you mean a maximised sum of utility. But that's only relevant if you're a third-person or a perfectly altruisitc participant who wants the 'group' to be as happy as possible. And since you're dealing with people here, that doesn't apply. What I want to know is, is thie arrangement Pareto efficient? Graph theory won't help you when the vertexes are selfish and disagree with each other about where the edges should be.
6.2 seconds (2s.f.)

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:17 am UTC

I think the entire thing is thrown out the window when one of the members makes a natural effort to make new friends and acquantinces on a weekly basis.

i dont even know the hell i just wrote. ive been awake for 25 god damn hours.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”