0623: "Oregon"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cecilff2

Re: "Oregon" Discussion

Postby Cecilff2 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

Sabine wrote:I knew it was Oregon Trail - I loved that game when I was a kid, right up there with Temple of Ra.

Was that the gameboy game with the bouncing sphere and you had to destroy all tiles then land on the exit? I think I made it to the Scarabs once or twice.

Wait scratch that, that was Pyramids of Ra
Last edited by Cecilff2 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Trane

Postby Trane » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:55 pm UTC

They still "made" Oregon Trail in 2000. Of course, when I called The Learning Company to find out why it wouldn't install on a friend's Mac, despite saying Windows/Mac on the side of the box, their response was, "Oh, it doesn't exist." I replied that the box clearly said it does and he clarified, "They wrote the Mac installer, then went and wrote the Windows version, and forgot to go back and write the Mac version."

There you have it. A company which sold a product they forgot to create. Never will I ever work for that company.

* Oregon Trail 4 Deluxe, btw.

cparker15

Postby cparker15 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:03 pm UTC

This comic brings back great memories of my childhood, sitting in the computer lab at the Apple ][e. There was never enough time to get very far, so I always left the computer lab wanting more.

I can't believe I haven't played this game since then. Something must be done!!!
Peter Gibbons wrote:I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

ckbryant

Postby ckbryant » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:22 pm UTC

Real Trailies go as a Farmer and get everyone into Oregon in good health, with 2000 pounds of food minus one day. Real Trailies top 8000 points.

Got what it takes?

--Ford a stream that is less than 2.5 feet deep. Caulk and float if deeper. But always hire the Indian guide later in the game. Bring 3 extra sets of clothing to pay him.
--Start in March, but stop just a day or two before the first river and fill your wagon up with meat! Buy only about 50 lbs. food in Missouri.
--Stop and hunt whenever anyone gets sick. You're mostly resting--the hunting is just a side-benefit. So save your bullets for buffalo, bear, or deer. It's OK if you don't hit anything in a given day.
--To really max your score, you can hunt for food and spend some days trading with other travellers. Every day, you have a chance to make one trade. So you wait until someone is willing to trade bullets, oxen, clothing or wagon parts for food.

Of course, it would be absolutely insane to add months to your trip for all the hunting and trading, instead of getting to Oregon and getting a good spot before Winter comes on. But that sort of thing usually happens when you're trying to max something artificial like your "score."

cyborg_572

Postby cyborg_572 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:48 pm UTC

I don't think either of the gradeschools I went to had Oregon Trail. Possibly because of the lack of Macs, possibly because I'm in Canada. What they had instead was a text adventure with pictures called "Cross Country Canada" where you had to get an 18-wheeler from one side of the country to the other by doing things like turning on the wipers and headlights and repairing the windsheild that almost always broke. It also relied on a printed map that the entire class would be sharing.

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:00 pm UTC

Okay, this is a little freaky.

First, I live in Oregon. And I'm of an age where I played this a LOT on the Apple ][. (I have an emulator on my PC and and an actual ][+ sitting in my closet.)
And just yesterday, I happened to re-read the articles on the game and the Trail while wiki-walking.
And NOW, that evening, this shows up.

Tamasan

Postby Tamasan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

Ah, memories. Both my parents were teachers at a small parochial elementary school when I was growing up. So I had at least an hour or more to kill every day after school before I could go home until I was old enough to walk the half mile home alone.

Oregon Trail - mastered, max score just about anytime I wanted it.
Where in the World (actually was only USA with 50 states you could go to) is Carmen SanDiego? - memorized
MathBlaster (or one of the variants) - mastered
Apple II tutorial that had some cool games and such - memorized
Stupid Revolutionary War game - never once won. Could never beat the British. Ever. This game haunts me worse than some of the impossible Nintendo-difficult NES games I experienced later in life (it even beats out Milon's Secret Castle!)

Stupid British. Argh!

Jirin

Postby Jirin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

Ha. You know a few years ago I finally beat that game as the Farmer on a website based Apple IIe emulator?

I hear new versions of the game teach you little factoids about history and pretend hunting didn't exist. Horray for re-writing history to be more Basically Decent! Hey, did you know there was nobody on the North American continent before Christopher Columbus got there? It's true!

Brad

Postby Brad » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

Yes I played a lot of Oregon Trail in the early 90's.

Yes, I loved the game and have fond memories of it.

No, this comic is not funny. Not even a little bit. "HAY GUYZ DO YOU REMEMBER ORGON TRAIL! HAHAH DISENTERY amirite?"

Worse than Wednesday's.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

"early settlers arrive"? In 1825? Fuck you, Randall. Chose your words better.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

umop ap!sdn

Postby umop ap!sdn » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

Noclaf wrote: And was I the only one who gave the children swear words for names?

NO! A classmate would get sent to the principals office every "Computer Lab Day" After the first few times he wasn't allowed to go.

Another fun thing we would do, name the characters after friends in class, then make fun of them the rest of the day when they died of various funny sounding diseases. 4th grade was a simpler time!

Born in '77 and rocked OT on an Apple ][!!!

thanksbastards wrote: I however do recall an awesome X-wing star wars game, all wireframe and excellent, which I am apparently the only person who ever played.

Was this an arcade game? I remember playing something like this at Showbiz (before it was "Chucky Cheese"). It had a "H" style controller that rotated and twisted. You'd fly along the surface of the Death Star blowing up "turrets" and "towers" (all just wireframe trapezoids)
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

If not satisfied with this post, please return unused portion for full refund.

vslayer

Postby vslayer » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:Knock yerselves out with this slice of nostalgia: http://www.virtualapple.org/oregontraildisk.html

you sir, are a god.

Ithica

Postby Ithica » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

Brad wrote:Worse than Wednesday's.

Nothing in the history of webcomics has been worse than Wednesday's. It was a comic based around a haiku about a proof that was WRONG about stuff they teach you when you're about 12 years old. A comic that had a godawful joke shoehorned into it that made absolutely no sense (when you're sleep deprived, people don't suddenly start speaking in haiku or fly).

If that comic was a pregnancy, it should have been an early abortion, terminated before Randall's boyfriend or parents caught wind of it. Unfortunately he not only kept this crippled, retarded spawn, he showed it off, and has no doubt put many people off of the idea for a long time.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:06 pm UTC

umop ap!sdn wrote:Born in '77 and rocked OT on an Apple ][!!!

Ok, so maybe it's not that I'm too old (born in '75); just was at the wrong school, maybe?

umop ap!sdn wrote:It had a "H" style controller that rotated and twisted. You'd fly along the surface of the Death Star blowing up "turrets" and "towers" (all just wireframe trapezoids)

I would practically wet my pants while thinking about playing this game as a seven-year-old. First game I truly loved.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:12 pm UTC

thanksbastards wrote:how old do you need to be to have grown up w/ the oregon trail? I am 21 and my friends al lclaim to remember it, but I never actually played. saw it played, but not me myself. I however do recall an awesome X-wing star wars game, all wireframe and excellent, which I am apparently the only person who ever played. That and that tank game and super violent animated chess. you know, with the queen with an anvil in her purse?

I'm 14 and my family had it on our first comp actually i can find the disc right now
Any one ever played Yukon trial
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

atimholt

Postby atimholt » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:22 pm UTC

Ithica wrote:

Nothing in the history of webcomics has been worse than Wednesday's. It was a comic based around a haiku about a proof that was WRONG about stuff they teach you when you're about 12 years old. A comic that had a godawful joke shoehorned into it that made absolutely no sense (when you're sleep deprived, people don't suddenly start speaking in haiku or fly).

If that comic was a pregnancy, it should have been an early abortion, terminated before Randall's boyfriend or parents caught wind of it. Unfortunately he not only kept this crippled, retarded spawn, he showed it off, and has no doubt put many people off of the idea for a long time.

I, personally, loved the comic. Occasional mistakes can be forgiven, the meaning of the comic was clear.
Maybe I found it particularly funny since I don't usually go to bed until 3 in the morning. I wish I could reset my internal clock. I also used to get very slap happy late at night.
Totally random totally awesome SF quote:
Jorane Sutt put the tips of carefully-manicured fingers together and said, "It's something of a puzzle. In fact--and this is in the strictest confidence--it may be another one of Hari Seldon's crises."

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:28 pm UTC

In case it hasn't been mentioned already, a remake of Oregon Trail is available for most cell phones.

And please, everyone ignore Ithica. He obviously registered just to troll.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

Zylon wrote:And please, everyone ignore Ithica. He obviously registered just to troll.

That much is obvious. Internet happy box, anyone?
internet-happy-box.jpg
internet-happy-box.jpg (15.2 KiB) Viewed 5263 times

Jahoclave wrote:n00b. Teacher was better. Higher bonus multiplier. As for the rest. All you need is ammo and a willingness to screw over the natives.

Teacher was only available in the sequel. The original only had banker, carpenter, and farmer.

Goplat wrote:
Lawrensaurus wrote:Never take the ferry. Always caulk the wagon and float.
What's wrong with the ferry? It's safer and it only costs a few bucks.

I've had the ferry break on me. Not to mention that not everyone is a banker and can afford to wait 5 days.

Also, hiring an Indian to help you cross is the only way to cross the Snake River reliably. Bring extra clothes. KF
~Kizyr

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

Zylon wrote:And please, everyone ignore Ithica. He obviously registered just to troll.

Well, if Ithaca does mean it, I agree with him/her, though I don't feel nearly as strongly about it. I don't want xkcd to just stop. I do come back three times a week, after all. I'm hanging around in case Randall does another big story with a plot. Those are the good times. They seem to cater to his biggest strengths, but I wouldn't think he'd be able to do them very often. When he does, though, it's always a huge treat.

Ithica

Postby Ithica » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:42 pm UTC

atimholt wrote:I, personally, loved the comic.

What exactly did you love about it? The incorrect grade school math? The 'punchline'? Or does Randall just have to vaguely reference something close to what you do to make you "love" it.

Seriously, I am 100% genuinely interested in what made you love Wednesday's comic, did you actually laugh out loud when you read it? I honestly can't see how anyone could so much as smirk at it.

Angry Rooster

Postby Angry Rooster » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:07 pm UTC

cyborg_572 wrote:I don't think either of the gradeschools I went to had Oregon Trail. Possibly because of the lack of Macs, possibly because I'm in Canada. What they had instead was a text adventure with pictures called "Cross Country Canada" where you had to get an 18-wheeler from one side of the country to the other by doing things like turning on the wipers and headlights and repairing the windsheild that almost always broke. It also relied on a printed map that the entire class would be sharing.

There's a version of this on VirtualApple as well, http://www.virtualapple.org/crosscountrycanada.html

If you try and play it, you'll probably want a list of commands: http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin ... 6644/30240

It seems *way* more educational than Oregon Trail. All I got from Oregon Trail was the names of diseases people died from. You Canadians actually learned facts... I had to answer Molybdenum to the first trivia question it asked me, fantastic!

mysticRight

Postby mysticRight » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:09 pm UTC

What is with all of you people who say you have never played Oregon Trail? That game is so classic! Go download the original game NOW and play! I am so dissapointed in the youth these days.

umop ap!sdn

Postby umop ap!sdn » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

josta59 wrote:I would practically wet my pants while thinking about playing this game as a seven-year-old. First game I truly loved.

Practically?!?
Oh wait... :oops:

I'm glad someone else thinks this game exists. I was talking about it a while ago to a few friends that just looked at me like I was nuts. I convinced myself I made it up... I made up the greatest game ever... but now I'm conflicted, I'm happy that the game exists and happy that others loved it as much as me, but I'm not as cool because I didn't come up with it.
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

If not satisfied with this post, please return unused portion for full refund.

A.DTheMediocre

Postby A.DTheMediocre » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

You know what?

If you've never played the 1974 American Educational game "Oregon Trail" don't even bother reading today's strip.

We don't need your kind here.

You know what? If you haven't read the 2007 xkcd strip "Penny Arcade" don't even bother reading this comment.

We don't need your kind here.

KingErroneous

Postby KingErroneous » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

I could never make it to Oregon, because those damn FuzzBodies kept making my MULE go haywire and run away.

wlao

Postby wlao » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

Ithica wrote:

While the comic wasn't among the best of the best, the discussion afterwards was really amusing - people arguing how it should have been proved properly, and improving the haiku to become correct. It was like watching a committee work...

I guess that you are the kind of person who is always logical and rational - even when hallucinating. " Excuse me, you claim to be an elephant, but you are green, have three trunk, eight legs and purple eyes. FAIL!".

jhumOneOhOne

Postby jhumOneOhOne » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:00 pm UTC

What, Randy puts a bunch of videogame references in a comic, and y'all instantly cream your pants? There isn't even a punchline! This is just shameful. You'd be angry if your favorite sports team played a shoddy game, why don't you expect the same level of excellence here?

Forum Viking

Postby Forum Viking » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:07 pm UTC

First off, this is the discussion for the Oregon comic, not the previous one. That has a dedicated thread where I'm sure they'll all agree with you. Go there.

Next, anyone remember Amazon Trail? That game was impossible, but it was the best of the series. The easiest was Yukon Trail; if you could make it past the border and the rapids you could probably beat that game. It was just a matter of how much gold you found when you got to Dawson City or where ever it ended. Oregon Trail (I think it was OT 2 or 3 by this time) wasn't too bad. But Amazon Trail? That game was practically in real-time! You had to drive your canoe all the way down from frickin' Belem to whatever Inca city it was that you were supposed to get to (no one remembers because no one ever got there). I even bought that game from one of those twice-a-year bookfairs we had, and even after hours at home I never beat it. It was great though - instead of hunting there was fishing (spearfishing actually, and it would tell you what kind of fish and how much it weighed when you caught it), and there were great perils you had to face like rapids, cannibals, and a bunch of historical figures like Teddy Roosevelt and de Aguirre you could talk to - which reminds me, not only were you traveling through the Amazon; you were traveling through time as well! That game was the shit, mystical panther and all.

Most people played DinoPark Tycoon at the computer lab I think though...
Search engines: Helping you help yourself.

ivan09193

Postby ivan09193 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:08 pm UTC

For me, Oregon Trail II was the *definitive* gaming experience. The level of detail was amazing. Over twenty years of starting game points, with realistic locales along the way for each starting year. The choice of Independence, Missouri, Kanesville (Council Bluffs in later years), Kansas, St. Joseph, Missouri and Nauvoo, Illinois (Mormons, anyone?) as starting points. Multiple historic trails are in the game, including the California Trail, the Applegate Trail, the route of the Mormon Trek, and even more obscure paths. More diseases than I can count, and more actual medications to boot. They even included a painted copy of "Westward the course of empire takes its way" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westward_t ... es_Its_Way) as the title screen in my version. It was like Manifest Destiny on a CD-ROM. God I loved that game. Why don't they make games like that anymore? Those poor kids growing up on first person shooters....

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

jhumOneOhOne wrote:What, Randy puts a bunch of videogame references in a comic, and y'all instantly cream your pants? There isn't even a punchline! This is just shameful. You'd be angry if your favorite sports team played a shoddy game, why don't you expect the same level of excellence here?

I think the people who are really bothered about the quality of the comics just gave up or see no point in posting here. I know that's my case specifically. The others who actually enjoy it, though, are all too happy to post. Perhaps this lack of constructive criticism is having a negative effect on the comic? I notice the recent strips seem just contented in throwing the references and leaving them hanging in the air, as if Randall already KNOWS the discussion will flourish here and thinks that's sufficient. It's a pretty bitter cycle.

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:20 am UTC

I think the biggest fun was to put the names of your friends (or enemies) in as your party, then declare with glee, "HA HA! Billy has died from Dysentery!"

Of course, none of us little bastards knew what dysentery was, but it was cool to kill someone. In a video game. Not in real life. Why are you looking at me like that??
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:12 am UTC

ritvax wrote:I think the biggest fun was to put the names of your friends (or enemies) in as your party, then declare with glee, "HA HA! Billy has died from Dysentery!"

Of course, none of us little bastards knew what dysentery was, but it was cool to kill someone. In a video game. Not in real life. Why are you looking at me like that??

A subtle nuance lost on a generation of schoolchildren.

Maybe it is the institutionalized terror of imaginary death that makes the distinction so blurred...

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:18 am UTC

To all of you who have never played Oregon Trail, and didn't get today's comic, I pity you. Here you've got more advanced games where you can actually challenge someone in another part of your state, country, or even another part of the world to a battle. You can command an entire squad from the comfort of your home. You actually get to see blood splatter. There are devices that you can attach to your game consoles that when your car gets bumped, you feel the bump. You have games with advertising in them. You have games that require secret codes or "h4x" in order to unlock extra levels or give you extra weapons. You have games that require a subscription to play. You have games that have a hit song.

We didn't have that. We had games with low-key graphics. We had to flip disks in order to continue playing the game. More often than not we lost twenty dollars and my self respect, because we didn't have walk-throughs or cheats or "h4x" that helped us win. We relied on our wits. If we lost twenty dollars and my self respect, we knew what not to do next time.

To this generation of gamers with all your fancy gadgets and high-falutin' graphics and sounds n' things, I really pity you.

Now excuse me, there's some damn kids on my damn lawn.

The second I read the comic, I cracked up. People at work looked at me and asked if I was ok. I showed them the comic. They cracked up with me.
PRG

An important message for you:

odog1999

Postby odog1999 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:11 am UTC

My school gaming progression was
Oregon Trail/Number Munchers/Odell Lake on the Apple ][ in 2nd/3rd grade =>
classroom-wide Bolo tournaments on the Machintosh in 4th/5th grade =>
Marathon 4-player solo tournaments in middle school =>
Return to Castle Wolfenstein in high school

quantum_quandary

Postby quantum_quandary » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:42 am UTC

Forum Viking wrote:Next, anyone remember Amazon Trail? That game was impossible, but it was the best of the series. The easiest was Yukon Trail; if you could make it past the border and the rapids you could probably beat that game. It was just a matter of how much gold you found when you got to Dawson City or where ever it ended. Oregon Trail (I think it was OT 2 or 3 by this time) wasn't too bad. But Amazon Trail? That game was practically in real-time! You had to drive your canoe all the way down from frickin' Belem to whatever Inca city it was that you were supposed to get to (no one remembers because no one ever got there). I even bought that game from one of those twice-a-year bookfairs we had, and even after hours at home I never beat it. It was great though - instead of hunting there was fishing (spearfishing actually, and it would tell you what kind of fish and how much it weighed when you caught it), and there were great perils you had to face like rapids, cannibals, and a bunch of historical figures like Teddy Roosevelt and de Aguirre you could talk to - which reminds me, not only were you traveling through the Amazon; you were traveling through time as well! That game was the shit, mystical panther and all.

Wholeheartedly agreed; Amazon Trail was the best one. Intricate and always interesting. (Okay, so it was also a total acid-trip. Who cares?) Collecting photographs of samples in the rainforest was a fun challenge, and the whole time-travel subplot was fascinating once you actually realised what was going on. I remember playing it for three hours once only to abruptly realise that I'd made a wrong turn on the river and had gone down some random estuary of the Xingu River or something. Who knew that the real-time canoeing directions actually had an effect like that?

I'm trying to remember the name of the final city in it. * racks brain * Vilcabamba, I think. I still miss the game, actually; I think I'll put it on the Games to Re-Purchase on CD on eBay and Beat Once I Have a Free Summer list. (Also includes The Learning Company's 'Treasure Cove'. I came within two rounds of finishing constructing that darn Rainbow Bridge before our 486 crashed and lost all of my game files.)

Yukon Trail was fun for a few days. I found a CD of it a few years back and played it a couple of times. No. 1 Below Bonanza Creek for the win.

Anyone ever play MayaQuest? Impressive photography. Tough as heck, until you figured out that you could save the game before checking your in-game messages (which inexplicably always ate up an incredible amount of your in-game time before the meteor hit), read them, and then go back to the saved game leaving them unread. Africa Trail was a weird one, too: more difficult than most of the rest, and not as entrancing. At least, that's what I found.

As for Oregon Trail, I only ever played II. Fun, though. (My elementary-school computer-applications teacher would always watch us hunting, put on a feigned pout, and say, "Oh, don't hurt the poor little animals!") Oh yeah, and love the comic, by the way.
Oxymoronic and alliterative!

quantum_quandary

Postby quantum_quandary » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:59 am UTC

quantum_quandary wrote:I think I'll put it on the Games to Re-Purchase on CD on eBay and Beat Once I Have a Free Summer list. (Also includes The Learning Company's 'Treasure Cove'. I came within two rounds of finishing constructing that darn Rainbow Bridge before our 486 crashed and lost all of my game files.)

Obviously, I never thought to go looking for downloads of either game on Google. FAIL.
Oxymoronic and alliterative!

ramparts

Postby ramparts » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:04 am UTC

Alright, Google isn't helping but Randall's got me hankering for OT - so where can I download Oregon Trail? Not that old school black and white stuff, that was before my time. Either OT II or OT III, with decent graphics (= decent hunting), but none of this sissy "plant collecting" business like in the new Oregon Trail.

Zero51423

Postby Zero51423 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:07 am UTC

westrim wrote:
laserphaser wrote:Let's just say you have died of dysentery.

Also, this reminds me of Pandemic 2 in a way. Must be all the deaths.

Rhode Island has closed it's port. :D

Madagascar: Holy crap somebody coughed in Greenland. SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING!!!

Also: A rattlesnake has bitten Hardy Beefandpotatoes Goodsoup

Forum Viking

Postby Forum Viking » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:23 am UTC

Anyone ever play MayaQuest?
We had that too. No one ever played it. Took to long to get going I think... I vaguely associate it with bicycles though.
Search engines: Helping you help yourself.

atimholt

Postby atimholt » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:41 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
jhumOneOhOne wrote:What, Randy puts a bunch of videogame references in a comic, and y'all instantly cream your pants? There isn't even a punchline! This is just shameful. You'd be angry if your favorite sports team played a shoddy game, why don't you expect the same level of excellence here?

I think the people who are really bothered about the quality of the comics just gave up or see no point in posting here. I know that's my case specifically. The others who actually enjoy it, though, are all too happy to post. Perhaps this lack of constructive criticism is having a negative effect on the comic? I notice the recent strips seem just contented in throwing the references and leaving them hanging in the air, as if Randall already KNOWS the discussion will flourish here and thinks that's sufficient. It's a pretty bitter cycle.

Apparently, you guys didn't actually read the comic.
You see, the juxtaposition of a winning strategy (taking a cartload of nothing but bullets) layered overtop actual history (imagine if all 500,000 imaginary settlers did this, and if the majority were adolescents and children)...

...Aristotle, in the Poetics (1449a, pp. 34–35), suggested that an ugliness that does not disgust is fundamental to humour (Wikipedia, on Humor)...

...Author E.B. White once said, "Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but the thing dies in the process and the innards are discouraging to any but the pure scientific mind."(this also is cited from the Wikipedia article, but it's a quote! That should add some authority, eh?)...

...office...

...In short, the events recounted never happened, the game was technically innaccurate and imbalanced, and this comic extrapolates what history would have been like had it matched what the game claims. This, of course, does not necessarily make the game unfun.
-River Tam
Totally random totally awesome SF quote:
Jorane Sutt put the tips of carefully-manicured fingers together and said, "It's something of a puzzle. In fact--and this is in the strictest confidence--it may be another one of Hari Seldon's crises."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”