0630: "Time Travel"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

aro3n

Re: "Time Travel" Discussion

Postby aro3n » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:45 am UTC

I still don't get it... can someone explain?

DBPZ

Postby DBPZ » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:52 am UTC

aro3n wrote:I still don't get it... can someone explain?

Girls may think that it is a cute style of talking, and, obviously, she is satisfied on her age.

screech

Postby screech » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:55 am UTC

I actually liked this better when the text below it hadn't loaded. It made me imagine some secret society so dedicated to the preservation of bagels that they built a time machine to protect them throughout history. But little did they know they would be the cause of their own demise.

Also, I was lying. I just thought of that while typing.
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

moxmallow

Postby moxmallow » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:03 am UTC

glasnt wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:I have traveled here from 1994 to say this

Bloody hell, I had to stop for a second to work out your age.. someone born in 1994 seems waaayyy too young to be voicing their opinions on an internet forum, let alone being on the internet at all..

.. then I remember that it's not 2001 anymore :(

I usually figure I'd be the youngest, but I have been pleasantly surprised! 1994 seemed young even to me, but I had to remember that I'm nearly 18, and I was posting on the nick.com forums when I was 12 :P
Kalos wrote:Big O notation, because despite having 26 english letters, 24 greek letters, and the ability to make up symbols, we STILL choose the one letter easiest confused with a zero

a.sub

Postby a.sub » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:19 am UTC

Editer wrote:My boss once observed, "It is possible to travel through time, but only in one direction, and at a constant speed."

I'm not so sure, though. Yesterday I laid down on the couch and shut my eyes, and when I opened them a minute later I had traveled two hours into the future!

actually not at a constant rate, google steven hawkings
Spoiler:

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:24 am UTC

Editer wrote:My boss once observed, "It is possible to travel through time, but only in one direction, and at a constant speed."

I'm not so sure, though. Yesterday I laid down on the couch and shut my eyes, and when I opened them a minute later I had traveled two hours into the future!

Not only is nap-speed not constant, but because of relativity all time travel is not constant.

By the way, I'll be 73 in October. No, not this October!
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Wesley Foxx

Postby Wesley Foxx » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:57 am UTC

All I can think of is "WELCOME TO THE WOOOOORLD OF TOMORROW!"

And now I'm trying to wrap my mind around a female version of the scientist saying that.

Also, the time-travel face-bags from Metalocalypse.

"We've figured out a way to travel through time, at the speed of time."
Liberty. Reason. Justice. Civility. Edification. Perfection.

MAIL.

luminosity

Postby luminosity » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:59 am UTC

I traveled here from the year 1985 to say this: 1985 is definitely the superior year to have travelled from.

munchman

Postby munchman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:25 am UTC

skine wrote:'So the [woman] travels through time?'

'Sure! Just like everything else! [She] also goes over water. Come on!'

http://xkcd.com/209/

'Man, there's future *everywhere*'

Damn it! Beat me too it... Ah well... should've looked sooner.
Btw, Randall, brilliant. Another one on the list of things to try, after 525
There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1
Compaq Presario CQ60. 2GB Ram, Intel Celeron Dual Core Processor, Windows Vista Home Premium. 250 GB HDD

SD-Knex

Postby SD-Knex » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:49 am UTC

Dear Past boardizens.
I’ve traveled here from the year 2012 (from December 22—the world doesn’t end by the way) to be the first poster of this thread. Unfortunately I had forgotten my login...

But now that I’m here, doesn't this “to” construction imply that my sole purpose for her whole time travel (at least toward that specific point in time) had been asking that question? She’s probably clairvoyant.

Edit: Oh and by the bye, future humankind is very fond of typographically pleasing quotation marks, apostrophes, dashes, etc.
Silk for Caldé!

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:51 am UTC

luminosity wrote:I traveled here from the year 1985 to say this: 1985 is definitely the superior year to have travelled from.

Yes it is.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:07 am UTC

glasnt wrote:

Bloody hell, I had to stop for a second to work out your age.. someone born in 1994 seems waaayyy too young to be voicing their opinions on an internet forum, let alone being on the internet at all..

I have travelled here from the year 1979 to say this:
My thoughts exactly. My mind is blown because there are actually teenagers in here. My mind is also blown because you are from the 90s.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Pi is exactly three

Postby Pi is exactly three » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:09 am UTC

fealuinix wrote:I've traveled here from the year 1982 to say this:
I feel old now

I have travelled here from the year 1955 to say "You youngsters have some catching up to do..."
"We are the weirdos, Mister!"
--Fairuza Balk, The Craft

I have travelled from 1955 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

CNiall

Postby CNiall » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:39 am UTC

I travelled here from a few seconds previous to wonder what happened to said few seconds.
Last edited by CNiall on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Peanutchair

Postby Peanutchair » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:45 am UTC

I've travelled from 1993 to say this...

I LIKE IT! Now when's the next one coming out?

Hilarity aside. I enjoyed the comic, it reminded me of the way my friends and I often start our sentences with the phrase, "So I found this thing on Stumbleupon yesterday...". It pretty much starts most of our conversations.
Richard Dawkins was put on this Earth to test our faith. Like fossils... and facts.
-
Stewart Lee.

CameoAppearance

Postby CameoAppearance » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:04 am UTC

moxmallow wrote:
glasnt wrote:

I usually figure I'd be the youngest, but I have been pleasantly surprised! 1994 seemed young even to me, but I had to remember that I'm nearly 18, and I was posting on the nick.com forums when I was 12 :P

I have travelled here from the year 1992 to say this: I, too, am used to being the youngest one around on forums, even though I'm entering an age group where this is no longer a reasonable expectation. (This goes all the way back to when I was 11 and posting on a Neopets fan forum where most everyone was between 14 and 24. Shut up, Neopets was still cool in 2003.)

Outdated perceptions of my own age aside, I also did a double-take because my sister was born in 1994 and I still think of her as being, like, 12.
I need a better signature.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:06 am UTC

I travelled from year 1999 to say I didn't get that comic 209, it's like too obscure to me. But the new strip is like awesome! Also, I was eating a bagel this morning! Randall, get me out of your shoulderblade! Or something!

Ano

Postby Ano » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:08 am UTC

I've traveled here from the year 1985 to say this: I love her :D

EhloVader

Postby EhloVader » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:14 am UTC

I have traveled here from 1983 to say this:

This form of time travel makes much more sense than that of most Movies, where the user is instantly transported backwards in time instantly. At least one movie on time travel, that I know of,(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primer_(film)) does make the traveler experience both the time back and the time forward in real time when traveling. (that seems more realistic to me)

Alzhaid

Postby Alzhaid » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:26 am UTC

The Now that is now, it is no more Now now!

I also liked the "Primer" movie, although in the end it had no sense (I've read some reports in the movie forum, written by people that say they had seen it around 50 times, and even after that they can't give an explanation of all the events in the movie).

I think in time travel movies very often they don't try to mantain a coherent story. Well, in fact in a lot of movies they forget about coherence because just special fx matters to many people :)

I liked a lot the time travel in the Twelve Monkeys movie, that was really nice!!
Last edited by Alzhaid on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:44 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:42 am UTC

DBPZ wrote:

Girls may think that it is a cute style of talking, and, obviously, she is satisfied on her age.

I have traveled here from the year 2008 to point out that it is still technically true even if she was born some other year that is before 1983.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:23 pm UTC

Am I the only one who's figured out that faster-than-time time travel would leave out in the cold of space?
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

dharmamama

Postby dharmamama » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:28 pm UTC

I've travelled from 1965 to say this:

The act of writing on a forum is a type of time travel; I'm writing these words *now*, but your *now*, as you're reading them, is in my current future.

Though I might re-read them at the same time as someone else reading them for the first time, hence I'll be in the past, the now, and this now's future all at once. Though I reckon that's true just about any moment.

togo1960

Postby togo1960 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:28 pm UTC

BioTube wrote:Am I the only one who's figured out that faster-than-time time travel would leave out in the cold of space?

No. As would slower-than-time time travel.

Light

Postby Light » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:

I travelled from year 1999 to say I didn't get that comic 209, it's like too obscure to me. But the new strip is like awesome! Also, I was eating a bagel this morning! Randall, get me out of your shoulderblade! Or something!

Seriously, you should study comic 209 until you get it. It isn't very funny - it is profound and inspirational. It made me desperately want to get a kayak, and sad that I have to hang the laundry instead. I hope you get it before you've got too much laundry in your life. But always remember kids, don't get into a kayak with strange people you meet on the internet!

By comparison, this comic is mundane. But if you never peak, you'll be on an upwards trajectory until death, which would make death the best thing that ever happened to you... and who wants that?

Frankie

Postby Frankie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:56 pm UTC

I have traveled here from the Age of Aquarius (or was it the Era of Apollo?) to say:
If you didn't get it right away, then you haven't watched NEARLY enough cliched time travel movies.

p.s. Anyone here ever use "Come with me if you want to live" as a successful pickup line?

ShinSeifer

Postby ShinSeifer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

I've traveled a long way here from 1989 to say that I once actually left an audio message for the Future Myself that I plan to listen again something like 5 or 6 years from now.

Home-made nostalgia, the best way to exploit our time travel capabilities :D and that of tape recorders. Bad thing is I cannot send an answer to the Past Myself.
I'm here to give you these ->

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

While my consciousness was not present at the time, atoms and particles which comprise my being have traveled for 13.7 billion years to say this:

Will you humans shut the fuck up on your tiny little planet? Everything is so DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA with you. Sheesh.

Love,
The Universe.
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:09 pm UTC

Dear future self;

I've traveled here from the years 1968, 1969, 1974, and 2009 to tell you something very important. You must read this sentence very carefully.

Quit your job.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Kailen

Postby Kailen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:17 pm UTC

You will be reading this at some point in the past.
* These senseless ramblings brought to you by Insanity™. If you just can't figure the dang thing out, it must be Insanity™.

croat_ante

Postby croat_ante » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:Is there a popculture reference for this one? I'm in the dark.

I have too much gelati-sugar in my blood for a'thinkin'

I can't believe no one mentioned the Jim prank on Dwight from 'The Office (US)'. Jim sends Dwight one of his own memos informing him someone will posion the coffee today. The memo is signed, "Cordially, Future Dwight". Along the same lines I guess...

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

fealuinix wrote:I've traveled here from the year 1982 to say this:

I feel old now, as foretold by the prophesy.

You feel old!?!?!? I traveled here from 1960.
Just saying ...
... kids these days! (*shakes head)
... and, get off my lawn. (HA!) (Actually, it's more like a weed patch because I spend all my time at work or playing CoD4.)
... and, hey dharmamama (*wink) HA!

Bagles ... breakfast.
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Nicole88

Postby Nicole88 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:09 pm UTC

Well... 1983 is clearly the most awesome of all the years, so who can blame her?
I'm drunk on panda mystery.

bnlband44

Postby bnlband44 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

I have traveled here from 1983 to share the brilliance of Douglas Adams on the forum.

"Concentrate," hissed Zaphod, "on his name."
"What is it?" asked Arthur.
"Zaphod Beeblebrox the Fourth."
"What?"
"Zaphod Beeblebrox the Fourth. Concentrate!"
"The Fourth?"
"Yeah. Listen, I'm Zaphod Beeblebrox, my father was Zaphod Beeblebrox the Second, my grandfather Zaphod Beeblebrox the Third..."
"What?"
"There was an accident with a contraceptive and a time machine. Now concentrate!"

Loved the comic.

bnlband44

Postby bnlband44 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:26 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Dear future forum lurkers,
This seems like the start of a Fountains of Wayne*/TMBG/ serious-novelty-band song.

*I don't know why they came to mind first... What happened to those guys?

Fountains of Wayne are still playing regularly. Saw them at Bonnaroo 2007. Plus one of the members did a side project with Taylor Hanson (of Hanson), James Iha (of Smashing Pumpkins) and Bun E. Carlos (of Cheap Trick). This is not a joke.

Saw TMBG live last year and got tickets to see them again in November!

Also this comic reminded of a Barenaked Ladies lyric. "Where does the time go when it's not around here?"
Last edited by bnlband44 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ipsos

Postby ipsos » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:31 pm UTC

I have traveled here from the year 1972 to say that it's kind of odd to be the second-oldest one posting here so far.

Also, that I appear to have eaten the last bagel in the kitchen already and will now have to go get some more.

Klvino

Postby Klvino » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:58 pm UTC

ipsos wrote:I have traveled here from the year 1972 to say that it's kind of odd to be the second-oldest one posting here so far.

Also, that I appear to have eaten the last bagel in the kitchen already and will now have to go get some more.

In the context of this thread, you are currently the 3rd oldest, which makes me the fourth oldest. Someone else from the 70's in the thread is the fifth oldest, which now constitutes a council of elders.

In my company, employing over 500 people, the average age is 23. It's a pretty damn scary concept. :shock:
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:14 pm UTC

Klvino wrote:
ipsos wrote:I have traveled here from the year 1972 to say that it's kind of odd to be the second-oldest one posting here so far.

In the context of this thread, you are currently the 3rd oldest, which makes me the fourth oldest. Someone else from the 70's in the thread is the fifth oldest, which now constitutes a council of elders.

In my company, employing over 500 people, the average age is 23. It's a pretty damn scary concept. :shock:

They don't want us anymore. We are outdated. Haven't you heard the slogan?

"Old is stupid, New is better!!"

Now I'm pretty sure I'm the oldest poster. Which, unfortunately, will colour the way everyone reads my posts from now on.
Last edited by neoliminal on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:Now I'm pretty sure I'm the oldest poster. Which, unfortunately, will colour the way everyone reads my posts from now on.

I manage to stay employed by actually knowing how to build, test and design stuff.
The kids come out of college and have never actually designed a working circuit.

The "Council of Elders" needs to start our own Discussion Group. HA!
(Never thought I would be a member of a Council of Elders.)
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:36 pm UTC

Alt-Text: She also starts every letter with "Dear Future <your name>".

I have traveled here from the year 1991 to hope that I wasn't the only one who thought of that story about a girl whose boyfriend went on a mission into space; since they had to use slower-than-light radio to keep in touch, they started each message by saying how old they were, and how old the other would be when it got there. (Or... was it the girlfriend that left, and the boyfriend who stayed? Doesn't really matter I suppose.) Of course I can't remember the title for the life of me.

...now that's gonna bug me all day. /grr.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”