0630: "Time Travel"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

johnmarkos

Re: "Time Travel" Discussion

Postby johnmarkos » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:33 am UTC

How do you know that you existed before this moment?

treblemaker

Postby treblemaker » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:36 am UTC

If 1964 calls, I'm not now.

Kanonfutter

Postby Kanonfutter » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:30 am UTC

johnmarkos wrote:How do you know that you existed before this moment?

Define "exist".

/me travelled from 1974 to here. I still get surprised when students don't remember 911 attacks and the invasion of Iraq as if it was last year.

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:21 am UTC

I have travelled from 1981 ( :shock: ) to say I chortled at this comic. It also reminded me of http://www.xkcd.com/616/ - themes about getting older perhaps?

I like the comics one can enjoy without using Google / having a frankly freaky and encyclopaedic knowledge of the InterFicheTubesHighway, just as much as those which do.

But this comic spoke to me because I have a Linguistics degree and have therefore studied deixis - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deixis - and have had funny supervisions (translate:tutorials) about future selves and now/not-now and so on. Those were the days.

Does being born in the 1980s mean I qualify for neither the Elders nor the Kids? If so, *phew* in many ways.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:51 am UTC

I traveled here from 19 days before the American bicentennial celebration... to find out that most people nowadays don't even know what a bicentennial is.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

macronencer wrote:Well, this is interesting... I'm from 1965. I guess I'm in too :|

Do I have to learn a funny handshake?

Nope, it starts to shake all by itself.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Whitedark

Postby Whitedark » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

Editer wrote:My boss once observed, "It is possible to travel through time, but only in one direction, and at a constant speed."

I'm not so sure, though. Yesterday I laid down on the couch and shut my eyes, and when I opened them a minute later I had traveled two hours into the future!

Really? Last night I closed my eyes for two hours, and when I opened them, it was the same time as when I closed them.

Whitedark

Postby Whitedark » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:42 pm UTC

I don't believe that I exist even in this moment, let alone before it.
Before you talk to me, I should warn you. I am kind of strange ~Xkcd

mdog

Postby mdog » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

Whitedark wrote:
Editer wrote:My boss once observed, "It is possible to travel through time, but only in one direction, and at a constant speed."

I'm not so sure, though. Yesterday I laid down on the couch and shut my eyes, and when I opened them a minute later I had traveled two hours into the future!

Really? Last night I closed my eyes for two hours, and when I opened them, it was the same time as when I closed them.

You're 20. Blink. You're 40. Etc. I have traveled here from 1946 (really) to mention that, irrespective of napping effects, blinking appears to be an even more amazing form of time displacement. Have tried to not blink. Doesn't work.
一期一會
This one time, this one opportunity to meet each other.

thanosQR

Postby thanosQR » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:Is there a popculture reference for this one? I'm in the dark.

I have too much gelati-sugar in my blood for a'thinkin'

how about http://www.futureme.org/ ?

Valcien

Postby Valcien » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

If this layman is not mistaken, every single particle of your body can travel forward in time at a different speed simultaniously. Accelerate, and time passes more slowly. If you want to travel forward in time faster than anyone else, leave the earth and stop your momentum. 'Cause we're all moving at around one thousand miles per hour right now. Freaky huh!?

Back to 1982 for me.

johnmarkos

Postby johnmarkos » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:08 pm UTC

They tell me I traveled here from late 1970, but for some reason, I can't remember a single thing that happened before summer, 1973, and I have only the vaguest idea of what was going on around me before about 1977.

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:52 pm UTC

I have traveled here from the far and mysterious time of 1977 to say I really enjoyed this comic.

I envy the kids who traveled here from 1985, and hope Doc Brown can send them back... to the future!

What about it, Future Boy??!!
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

meat.paste

Postby meat.paste » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:56 am UTC

While I have been assured by the proper authorities that I come from 1967, I don't believe them. I have always been here. I can hear it in the voice of Kosh from Babylon 5, so it must be true.
Huh? What?

HighSpeedFallingObjects

Postby HighSpeedFallingObjects » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:38 am UTC

I'm not sure that's exactly true. Didn't Einstein say that time is relative? His theory was that the only thing that is constant is the speed of light, and that everything around it, including time itself, adjusts around this speed. Or something like that. So depending on certain circumstances like speed and mass, time in certain places may be going faster or slower than in other places.

But then again, I've only traveled here from 1993 (and all the subsequent dates that follow) to get here. I could be wrong. =]

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:20 am UTC

Light wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:I travelled from year 1999 to say I didn't get that comic 209, it's like too obscure to me. But the new strip is like awesome! Also, I was eating a bagel this morning! Randall, get me out of your shoulderblade! Or something!

Seriously, you should study comic 209 until you get it. It isn't very funny - it is profound and inspirational. It made me desperately want to get a kayak, and sad that I have to hang the laundry instead. I hope you get it before you've got too much laundry in your life. But always remember kids, don't get into a kayak with strange people you meet on the internet!

By comparison, this comic is mundane. But if you never peak, you'll be on an upwards trajectory until death, which would make death the best thing that ever happened to you... and who wants that?

I guess you didn't get the irony. First, I'm NOT a 10-year-old. Second, it was just a snarky way to say this latest strip is a watered-down, dumbed-down, unfunny version of an old and beaten idea which was already done way, way better by the very same webcomic.

Michael of Lucan

Postby Michael of Lucan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:45 pm UTC

I travelled here from the the year 1952. Yes, that's 1952, and I claim the Golden ... whatever it was. I forget...

Let me tell you that this future is not what I expected at all. Very disappointing indeed. They promised me I would be able to fly to work, and a holiday on Mars. I want my money back.

However, people are just the same as they are back in my time. This new-fangled interwebs thing just allows them to show more people how stupid they are. And how much they like sex. Just like in my time.

Bo102010

Postby Bo102010 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:00 am UTC

OK, this comic appeared on a Monday (or Sunday night, or whatever).

The previous Saturday morning, my fiance and I met with her father for brunch. We went in to a Panera Bread Co. restaurant. As soon as we got in the door, my fiance's father said something to the effect of "Well I came all this this way, and I wondered if there were any bagels left." I thought this was an odd comment at the time, but we were standing in front of several bagels on a plate, so I assumed I had missed a beat in the conversation. It intrigued me, though, because he said it kind of like a joke. I meant to ask my fiance about it later, but forgot.

Then Monday morning this comic appears.

I felt sure that there was some song or Internet meme that referenced traveling and then asking about bagels, so I Googled a bit and couldn't find anything relevant (today of course you'll get references to XKCD. Google needs to add a "search for x before it became popular" feature).

I was utterly baffled, and asked my fiance, who claims to have no recollection of bagels ever being discussed at brunch.

I read this thread through all the way, hoping someone would link to the joke or meme or something, but no dice! It's just a clever way of thinking about moving through time, and bagels are irrelevant!

I tried to register to ask, but I COULDN"T PASS THE CAPTCHA. Seriously. The forum locked me out. This became a lot funnier with Friday's comic.

So, I think I'm losing my mind. Someone please tell me this is just a popular joke or song or something.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:

I'm not sure that's exactly true. Didn't Einstein say that time is relative? His theory was that the only thing that is constant is the speed of light, and that everything around it, including time itself, adjusts around this speed. Or something like that. So depending on certain circumstances like speed and mass, time in certain places may be going faster or slower than in other places.

But then again, I've only traveled here from 1993 (and all the subsequent dates that follow) to get here. I could be wrong. =]

The actual simplistic phrasing of relativity is that you can travel through time at a constant speed in a limited number of directions. Changing your velocity changes the direction in which you are traveling through time. And the directions are relative to each other (i.e. in any frame of reference that frame's "forward" can be treated as straight ahead while all others are off at an angle, and none are 45 degrees or more away from that angle (45 degrees is the speed of light)

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:28 pm UTC

XbHW_TestEngr wrote:The "Council of Elders" needs to start our own Discussion Group. HA!
(Never thought I would be a member of a Council of Elders.)

Can I join? 1970 (28 March)

I'm glad to see I'm not the oldest person on the echochamber :mrgreen:
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

JustMe

Postby JustMe » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:51 am UTC

I know I'm way too late for this thread but I've been catching up. As a member of the council of elders, the fact that so many from the Kid's Table read XKCD makes me less afraid for our future!
I have traveled from 1963 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:14 am UTC

ShinSeifer wrote:I've traveled a long way here from 1989 to say that I once actually left an audio message for the Future Myself that I plan to listen again something like 5 or 6 years from now.

By that time you will probably be unable to find any working device capable of playing audio tapes :)

Sto Helit

Postby Sto Helit » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:23 am UTC

Whitedark wrote:

Then how do you exist for me to be a figment of your imagination?
Do not crush the flowers of wisdom with the hobnail boots of cynicism.
Bill Bailey

You look just like you!
Eric Idle

…And one of them turned to me and said, 'Oh my God! Eric Idle!'
Michael Palin

Rocksinmyhead

Postby Rocksinmyhead » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:28 am UTC

I travelled all the way from 1984 to post in this thread

and we will meet again in the place where there is no darkness.... :^U

Smile

Postby Smile » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

Sto Helit wrote:
Whitedark wrote:

If you don't exist, neither does your imagination.
Simple Minded (and proud of it)

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:49 pm UTC

Smile wrote:
Sto Helit wrote:
Whitedark wrote:

Perhaps not, but the corroborating evidence of hundreds of other people that I have met has proven to me that I do in fact exist.

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:38 am UTC

Faranya wrote:
Smile wrote:
Sto Helit wrote:
Whitedark wrote:

Perhaps not, but the corroborating evidence of hundreds of other people that I have met has proven to me that I do in fact exist.

Really? Show me these alleged people, perhaps they are just figments of your imagination.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:55 am UTC

10nitro wrote:
Faranya wrote:
Smile wrote:
Sto Helit wrote:Then how do you exist for me to be a figment of your imagination?

Really? Show me these alleged people, perhaps they are just figments of your imagination.

But we have already established that if I did not exist, neither would my imagination. So either my corroborating evidence of people exists, or alternatively, that evidence was a figment of my imagination, which is contingent on my existence to exist.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”