0633: "Blockbuster Mining"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

10nitro

0633: "Blockbuster Mining"

Postby 10nitro » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:02 am UTC

alt-text: The 2007 trailer for Bridge to Terebithia trailer put me off too much to see that particular movie, but I am cautiously optimistic about Where the Wild Things Are.

comment: I don't get it. I don't watch TV to get the commercial references...
[edit:] I love xkcdians: wiki
Last edited by 10nitro on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:12 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

Orca

Re: "Blockbuster Mining" Discussion

Postby Orca » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:03 am UTC

I'm disappointed it took the thread two whole minutes to be made.
If you start an argument over whether "they" "them" and "their" can be used as gender neutral singular pronouns, in this thread, I will do terrible, terrible things to you.
-Belial

joee

Postby joee » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:03 am UTC

I have a feeling I need to know what Harriet the Spy is...

hi glasnt!
Hi glasnt.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:04 am UTC

I was going to make the thread, but I hesitated, and I was trying to figure out what the hell the joke is.

Who's Harriet?

Rehio

Postby Rehio » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:05 am UTC

The Bridge to Terabithia wasn't completely horrible, but it wasn't great either. The book is still better, as it usually is.

Well, except for I, Robot. That's like the only movie that I think stayed really well with the book.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:06 am UTC

Orca wrote:I'm disappointed it took the thread two whole minutes to be made.

Yeah, I was totally waiting for it. I briefly considered starting it myself, but thought someone was going to ninja me.

Indeed, what childhood book will Hollywood ruin next? It surprises me that many short stories and picture books can be stretched into movies...

I had to look up Harriett the Spy... I'll wait for someone to express their disbelief and people not knowing this piece of pop culture.
Last edited by Omegaton on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:07 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Soap

Postby Soap » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:06 am UTC

Im curıous about the blank space that takes up most of the top half of the comıc. Does ıt mean anythıng or ıs ıt just style?
Attention Customers
Our Storage Area is Very "Limited" so Please Keep Your "Total" to Under $10.00 Per "Redemption" Per "Day"
Thank You
---sign at a recycling center

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:07 am UTC

Orca wrote:I'm disappointed it took the thread two whole minutes to be made.

At least it didn't take 35 minutes like it sometimes does when I'm gone. Seriously though, I've seen a thread go up in 14 seconds. What.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
Eagle Scout

sircheeziusbreezius

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:08 am UTC

i feel like over the past few weeks, randall has been trying to kill our fond childhood memories..

and i have no problem with it. i love it :D
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him. He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; shun him. He who knows and knows that he knows is wise; follow him.

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:I had to look up Harriett the Spy... I'll wait for someone to express their disbelief and people not knowing this piece of pop culture.

Don't worry, everyone thus far has said they don't know it either.

edit: nevermind, it looks like this guy does:
sircheeziusbreezius wrote:i feel like over the past few weeks, randall has been trying to kill our fond childhood memories..

and i have no problem with it. i love it :D

Not Randal, Hollywood, jeez.
Last edited by 10nitro on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
Eagle Scout

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:10 am UTC

10nitro wrote:
Omegaton wrote:I had to look up Harriett the Spy... I'll wait for someone to express their disbelief and people not knowing this piece of pop culture.

Don't worry, everyone thus far has said they don't know it either.

Hey, it happened with CSI Miami and The Little Prince references, so I'm sure it'll come soon enough.

brainfreeze215

Postby brainfreeze215 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:12 am UTC

The Bridge to Terebithia movie was actually pretty decent. It was terribly advertised.

sircheeziusbreezius

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:14 am UTC

10nitro wrote:Not Randal, Hollywood, jeez.

well yeah, its hollywood. but i dont pay enough attention to hollywood to where id know about this if it hadnt been for randall.
randall is the one putting the information into my head, but it makes me happy.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him. He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; shun him. He who knows and knows that he knows is wise; follow him.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:16 am UTC

Um, so I'm making with one of my most complete cases of not-getting-ness ever.
[edit]Well, I understand the logical reasoning behind the humour - it's not exactly a new idea for xkcd - but other than that it's pretty meaningless to me.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Squid Tamer

Postby Squid Tamer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:19 am UTC

I thought that I've already seen a movie of that title, a long time ago.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:19 am UTC

joee wrote:I have a feeling I need to know what Harriet the Spy is...

hi glasnt!

Hi joee!

All I recall of Harriet the Spy (1996) is Rosie O'Donnell. Ew. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116493/

Then again, Hating Alison Ashley was pretty much on par with the book (from what I saw of the trailer).

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:27 am UTC

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I seriously thought everyone had to read Harriet the Spy in fourth grade. And wasn't there a live-action movie also? I swear I remember watching it.

Anyway, Harriet is a kid who watches people for fun, and because she does not have very much common sense, she writes down her observations and reactions in her notebook (I knew this wasn't wise, and I was a clueless 10-year-old). The "popular" kid finds her notebook and reads it to everyone, and a lot of what she says is embarrassing or hurtful so Harriet loses her friends and a lot of drama happens. Eventually they learn lessons and move on and are friends again and stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_the_Spy

I fully approve of this movie idea, set ten or so years after the book. She and River Tam should hang out.

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:29 am UTC

Since I have a little sister, I knew that Harriet the Spy was like Hardy Boys for girls. But that's all I knew. I never knew they made it into a movie, and I don't think I'd ever want to watch it.
Comic not funny.
I understand on an intellectual where there joke should be, but it did nothing for me.
Randall, try harder. Or less hard, whatever works.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:31 am UTC

Lunch Meat wrote:I fully approve of this movie idea, set ten or so years after the book. She and River Tam should hang out.

I was expecting a River reference... small girl beating people up. But how is that not in the spirit of Firefly?
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
Eagle Scout

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:32 am UTC

This summer...

*pictures of kids in a park*

You think that your children are safe...

*more pictures, panning to carer*

.. you think your babysitter is a trusted member of society ..

*pregent pause, cut to black*

.. or are they?

*Blood, screaming*

Your babysitter... is a murderer

child: "Arg! Don't hurt me!"

teen: "You're mine, kid!"

*large club being swung around by teen, shadowing in a child's bedroom*

.. Babysitter's Club.. the Movie.

teen: "Let's play some hide and seek, kids... *mwahahahaa...*"

Coming soon...

FishyFred

Postby FishyFred » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:34 am UTC

I'll have you folks know that the movie version of Harriet the Spy holds up really well after 13 years. Seriously. It's one of my favorites.

sircheeziusbreezius

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:35 am UTC

glasnt wrote:teen: "Let's play some hide and seek, kids... *mwahahahaa...*"

Coming soon...

thats so....
i love you.
that was great.

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:37 am UTC

Max2009 wrote:Since I have a little sister, I knew that Harriet the Spy was like Hardy Boys for girls.

That helps a ton, I didn't read Hardy Boys either (at least I know of it, though).

glasnt wrote:.. or are they?

I take it you support the use of `they' as a 3rd person singular pronoun. Now I feel silly, I tried digging through Dinosaur Comics for the link XD.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
Eagle Scout

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:37 am UTC

I am of the opinion that Wikipedia needs to get rid of all "In Popular Culture" sections and ban them entirely.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:41 am UTC

10nitro wrote:
Max2009 wrote:
I take it you support the use of `they' as a 3rd person singular pronoun. Now I feel silly, I tried digging through Dinosaur Comics for the link XD.

Don't blame me. Blame the Americanisation of movie voiceovers.

Manticorehunter

Postby Manticorehunter » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:45 am UTC

People here seriously need to study up on their children's literature. I mean, who hasn't read Harriet the Spy and The Little Prince?
Anyway, get out of my head, Randall. I was just thinking about re-reading Harriet the Spy. Also, I would totally watch this movie.

Wulf Reigns

Postby Wulf Reigns » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:50 am UTC

I actually found this one pretty funny, at least worth a chuckle. Mostly because I recognized the title immediately, at least enough to think "Wasn't that a kid's book?"

Maybe not the funniest comic ever, but enough to get a smile and a chuckle.

aurumelectrum13

Postby aurumelectrum13 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:03 am UTC

glasnt wrote:
joee wrote:I have a feeling I need to know what Harriet the Spy is...

hi glasnt!

Hi joee!

All I recall of Harriet the Spy (1996) is Rosie O'Donnell. Ew. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116493/

Then again, Hating Alison Ashley was pretty much on par with the book (from what I saw of the trailer).

For those of you that feel the need to make fun of Rosie O'Donnell: http://xkcd.com/114/

thret

Postby thret » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:10 am UTC

Rehio wrote:The Bridge to Terabithia wasn't completely horrible, but it wasn't great either. The book is still better, as it usually is.

Well, except for I, Robot. That's like the only movie that I think stayed really well with the book.

I can think of at least 3 more off the top of my head:
BBC Pride and Prejudice http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112130/
Remains of the Day http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107943/
Othello http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114057/

Although Othello may not count, as it is intended for that purpose.

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:11 am UTC

Hey Glasnt, you goobered the quotes here in your post.
Ordinarily I wouldn't mind, but I don't want to get in trouble with the Grammar Police.
They seriously scare me.

glasnt wrote:
10nitro wrote:
Max2009 wrote:

Don't blame me. Blame the Americanisation of movie voiceovers.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

Kow

Postby Kow » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:12 am UTC

Someone should make Roald Dhall's BFG into a movie.

scenario3

Postby scenario3 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:14 am UTC

Max2009 wrote:Since I have a little sister, I knew that Harriet the Spy was like Hardy Boys for girls.

Actually, the Hardy Boys are detectives; they go around solving crimes. Harriet is a spy; she goes around spying on people and writing down her observations. Not really the same...

FishyFred wrote:I'll have you folks know that the movie version of Harriet the Spy holds up really well after 13 years. Seriously. It's one of my favorites.

You are awesome.

Let me also throw in that the book holds up well after 45 or so years. It's somewhat dated in a few ways (which are mostly unavoidable), but it really is an awesome book. I read it back when I was in elementary school, and I read it a few months ago (I'm now in college). And it's one of those rare books that can really teach you something no matter how old you are when you read it.

Benson

Postby Benson » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:26 am UTC

Ok, I completely didn't get this until the Harriet-readers explained it. Thanks, all!

But I love the way stick figures seem to contain more blood than their body volume -- makes me wonder how fast they can be drained of blood, given adequate vacuuming systems.

westrim

Postby westrim » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:39 am UTC

This is said firmly not looking at the previous posts:

I am really disappointed in this strip. I feel the entire concept should have been scrapped (or at least used a different property; Harriet is not yet classic, not nerdy, not really notable outside kid lit still), but even if it had to be done, it could have been done much better. I knew what Harriet the spy was, having as my goal in life the collection of at least an understanding of every piece of media, event, and concept possible, but I doubt more than 10% of the readership did. And for those that don't, there won't be an "oh, that is funny, and interesting, and I should check that out" because there's no hint of an intriguing puzzle or story or concept in the strip, or what Harriet the Spy was about (besides a girl spy). It certainly isn't on par with The Little Prince.

But I'm digressing on that point. What really bugs me is the altext (or whatever you wish to call it, it's irrelevant). Randall occasionally makes mistakes or lapses in logic, but he's never sounded outright ignorant. I don't know whether he knows this or not; and to me his wording indicates not, but those trailers were blatantly false. That he apparently did no research on that point, as even the Wikipedia page notes the trailer idiocy (and tv tropes too) really, really bugs me. For the record, the movie was excellent and by all accounts (though not mine; I've only seen the movie, not read the book) among the most faithful and well done adaptations ever done. If he knows that, but the trailer got lodged in his brain, fine. But it doesn't sound like that's what happened.

Oh, and Where the Wild Things Are will hopefully be awesome after the re shoot.

Connington

Postby Connington » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:41 am UTC

brainfreeze215 wrote:The Bridge to Terebithia movie was actually pretty decent. It was terribly advertised.

Honestly though, how could you market it? "The girl dies at the end, and it's really heartbreaking, but it teaches good lessons about being mature with death?"

Spoileriffic, and no parent who hadn't actually read the book would take their children.

And Randall, if you happen to be reading this, there's about 30 seconds or so of faux-Chronicles of Narnia animation in the commercials, right?

Well, there's about twice that amount of FCONA in the actual feature length movie. It's actually a good movie!

yellie

Postby yellie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:44 am UTC

I for one am disgusted so many people don't know who Harriet the Spy is. :(

But yeah, I love this comic, if only because it made me want to find all my old Harriet-esque notebooks I had when I was a kid.

Werewolf

Postby Werewolf » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:45 am UTC

Read that book in 5th Grade. Gave me a good lol :D

Help. My post went weird. The cheese is not burning me. L O L triggers a word filter. Epic win.
Last edited by Werewolf on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:52 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

bookaholic

Postby bookaholic » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:46 am UTC

Add me to the list of people shocked at the ignorance about Harriet the Spy. Look it up on Wikipedia. Why does anyone still read xkcd, see what is obviously an unfamiliar reference, and not look it up on Wikipedia, anyway?

I unfortunately have too indistinct a memory of the book for an "ah, memories" reaction, but I still loved the comic.

(No, Harriet the Spy has no content relationship whatsoever with the Hardy Boys.)

Jealousy

Postby Jealousy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:53 am UTC

I understand why the comic supposed to be funny (I hope), but I just couldn't get it up to this one. ):
Max2009 wrote:Since I have a little sister, I knew that Harriet the Spy was like Hardy Boys for girls. But that's all I knew. I never knew they made it into a movie, and I don't think I'd ever want to watch it.

Nancy Drew was much closer to being Hardy Boys for girls. In fact, Nancy Drew is basically a genderswap Hardy Boys, come to think of it.

msto

Postby msto » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:00 am UTC

Rehio wrote:Well, except for I, Robot. That's like the only movie that I think stayed really well with the book.

Registered just to say:

That damn well better be sarcasm.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”