0633: "Blockbuster Mining"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AL_

Re: "Blockbuster Mining" Discussion

Postby AL_ » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

Kow wrote:Someone should make Roald Dhall's BFG into a movie.

They already did, and made a pretty good go of it too

l'viaquez

Postby l'viaquez » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

I'm not sure why you'd have to be "cautiously" optimistic about Where the Wild Things Are. It's fucking Spike Jonze. And what part about either trailer wasn't absolutely amazing?

dasada122

Postby dasada122 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

Well, it looks like Randall's back on his stride. Two excellent comics in as many days.

Askara

Postby Askara » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

markdavo wrote:Maybe it would have been better if a non-adapted book had been chosen...like Ender's Game... Only most of those scenes would actually make sense then... Lord of the Flies?...Oh wait...

Orson Scott Card has received a lot of offers for the movie rights to Ender's Game. His answer has been that sure, as long as the movie is entirely faithful to the book, the plot is not changed to add action scenes, the characters retain their ages and racial backgrounds, and under no circumstance can Ender's character be softened or changed in any way -that includes no romantic interests whatsoever-.

That was in the 2007 Comic-Con, I think? He was in a panel talking about the Wyrms graphic novels and someone asked if he was interested in any movie deals. He then mentioned many studios were waiting for him to die so they could buy the rights off his heirs, but he was making "special preparations" to make sure that didn't happen. I think he's writing those conditions in his will xD.

Also, the Lord of the Flies movie was rather decent. They didn't dumb it down, left all the disturbing bits in it.

*EDITED FOR GRAMMAR*
Last edited by Askara on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Silverstorm42

Postby Silverstorm42 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:58 pm UTC

LOL, Harriet the Spy as a real spy. Maybe that's what she grew up to do.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Silverstorm42

Postby Silverstorm42 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:01 pm UTC

Gleep! I typed L O L and it turned into "This cheese is burning me"! Is this some sort of inside joke?
*Googles*
*is still confused*
*is xkcd neophyte*
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Mr. Burke

Postby Mr. Burke » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:22 pm UTC

sircheeziusbreezius wrote:usually it goes that people from the US are american, people from canada are canadian, mexicans are from mexico, etc.

At this point I'd like to quote
Jeff Dunham/José Jalapeño wrote:I'm Cuban. I'm from Florida.

Oh, and of course the people on St. Pierre et Miquelon are ... French.

irishnut

Postby irishnut » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

sircheeziusbreezius wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:
Bluewink wrote:... not all North Americans are Americans

Out of curiosity, how does that work again? Doesn't being North American imply that you live in The Americas?

not if youre canadian or mexican..

yeah as a canadian i would actually be kind of offended to be referred to as an american, and your stupidity kind of confounds me, he says not all North Americans are Americans, thats like saying not all Europeans are French....

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:28 pm UTC

What other childrens' books or TV shows could benefit from this conversion?

Postman Pat. Tagline: He always delivers.
And clearly he would be a mafia delivery guy, with very dark glasses and a submachine gun.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

Mr. Burke wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:

Out of curiosity, how does that work again? Doesn't being North American imply that you live in The Americas?

Or from Greenland or St. Pierre et Miquelon. I usually mean Canada (sans Québec, if you like) and the USA when referring to North America. Also, if American means “citizen of the USA”, what do you call the inhabitants of all of America?

usually it goes that people from the US are american, people from canada are canadian, mexicans are from mexico, etc. although, as i said in my reply to some other guy, i supposed that technically american COULD apply to anyone from north, central or south america, but thats not how its commonly used.

But then, how do you refer to a group of people from the Americas -- both south, central and north?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

jahwn lemonjello
Location: 3rd spacial dimension, our universe, Milky way, solar system, Earth, The Americas, USA

Postby jahwn lemonjello » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:09 pm UTC

They did this to polar express, A great book, a weird movie that defeated the purpose.
Hunting will not be a sport until the U.S. government recognizes the right to arm bears.

While there is a bad way to be weird, there is no good way not to be.

All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wander are lost.

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:But then, how do you refer to a group of people from the Americas -- both south, central and north?

When would I ever want to?

doctorpsycho1960

Postby doctorpsycho1960 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

Saying Harriet the Spy is like the Hardy Boys is like saying Les Miserable is like The Count of Monte Cristo.

And I can only shake my head in puzzlement at anyone's feeling hopeful after seeing the trailer for Where the Wild Things Are. I mean, let's start with Max being about twice the age he ought to be....

But then, making a feature film out of a picture book is pretty much always a bad idea. Didn't work for The Cat in the Hat, didn't work for How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and I ain't looking forward to Goodnight Moon: The Movie.

Askara

Postby Askara » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

Ray Bradbury's Switch on the Night.

Make the child an angsty teenager and turn Dark into a sexy goth vampire.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:41 pm UTC

doctorpsycho1960 wrote:But then, making a feature film out of a picture book is pretty much always a bad idea.

On the contrary.

On the double contrary. ('way more political than Watchmen', Felstaff says aside)
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Pi is exactly three

Postby Pi is exactly three » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

Silverstorm42 wrote:Gleep! I typed L O L and it turned into "This cheese is burning me"! Is this some sort of inside joke?
*Googles*
*is still confused*
*is xkcd neophyte*

1. Yes. Yes it is.
2. The Preview button is your friend. xkcd has many traps for the unwary.
3. Clearly, you have already worked out one way of dodging a forum word filter. Now, can you do it without making the phrase appear altered?
"We are the weirdos, Mister!"
--Fairuza Balk, The Craft

I have travelled from 1955 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

Pi is exactly three wrote:3. Clearly, you have already worked out one way of dodging a forum word filter. Now, can you do it without making the phrase appear altered?

The greek alphabet is your friend, lοl.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Werewolf

Postby Werewolf » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

Jealousy wrote:
Zamfir wrote:Actually, I think it's the opposite. The publishing house hired anonymous authors to write books, and all books in a series get the same pseudonymous author, although they are actually written by different authors. And they used more or less the same author pool to write others series under other names.

Poor choice of wording on my part. According to Wikipedia, Edward Stratemeyer sent plot summaries to anonymous authors, who would then actually write the darned things. Which is why I said "created" rather than 'wrote' in my post's first sentence. But then I promptly undermined that with my second sentence. S:

I said I'd given you the condensed version. I already knew about all that.

(Truthfully, I got the whole story, and most of the rest of my library of useless information, from Uncle John's Bathroom Reader.)

Klvino

Postby Klvino » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:27 pm UTC

Elipongo wrote:Rather reminds me of how Hollywood raped Heinlein's Starship Troopers. That turned me off to most movies from books forever.

QFT, even more so in how Heinlein didn't write a Starship Troopers 2 or 3 and yet Hollywood produced said movies.
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

ysth

Postby ysth » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

Storm wrote:I think Randall sometimes needs to provide a wiki link right to page of whatever he is referencing. If we don't get it, we're going there anyway.
More fun: he should only make cultural references that are for some reason missing from wikipedia.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

Siguy

Rules for "Individual XKCD Comic Threads"

Postby Siguy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

Holy crap! I felt exactly the same way about the 2007 Bridge to Teribithia adaptation. The trailer put me off of it because it looked like they'd raped it into some terrible cheap Chronicles of Narnia ripoff. I didn't know that it was actually faithful to the book until I heard on the radio about how the movie was apparently too faithful to the book and the trailer was misleading. This is a rare occasion where a misleading trailer is a good thing.
Last edited by Felstaff on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Watch where you're posting this next time, lol

Snowdream

Postby Snowdream » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

This was a brilliant comic.

I haven't seen that movie in ages, but I loved it as a kid. I very much thought it was a very good movie when I was a child, and I still enjoy it today.

I guess we have a bit of a Generation Gap forming between the kids growing up today (z), and my generation (y).

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:49 pm UTC

On the "american" thing:

1st I'm a citizen of the United States of America. (emphasis mine... duh)
2nd The whole continent is "The Americas".
3rd Anyone living on the continent is an American. Only ignorant ass-hats who live in the United States of America have the hubris to call themselves Americans as if they owned the whole of the continent.
4th Although it means little, I apologize for my fellow countrymen who are too retarded to understand geography or even give the correct name for their own country when asked.

Now, as for the comic. It could have been better. What's with all that white space? Yeah, I get the joke and all, but really... there was so much more you could have done with it.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

mrmanme

Postby mrmanme » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

Ditto for my first (in fact, only) exposure to Harriet being the old Michelle Trachtenberg movie.

But what I really like is the number of people confusing this with River Tam/Summer Glau. More specifically, I enjoy the number of people who seem to have managed to mix up the two little sisters from Whedon shows without any prompting other than xkcd.

Pi is exactly three

Postby Pi is exactly three » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:10 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:On the "american" thing:
3rd Anyone living on the continent is an American. Only ignorant ass-hats who live in the United States of America have the hubris to call themselves Americans as if they owned the whole of the continent.

I think I have to dispute this point. Speaking as a Brit, if someone was described to me as an American I would naturally assume that they were a citizen of the USA, simply through common usage, not an ignorance of geography.

I would not expect anyone to refer to a Canadian, a Mexican, a Guatemalan, a Nicaraguan, a Brazilian, a Peruvian, an Argentinian, a Puerto Rican , a Venezuelan, a Bolivian, a Paraguayan, a Colombian, a Uruguayan... as an American.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!"
--Fairuza Balk, The Craft

I have travelled from 1955 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Ronfar

Postby Ronfar » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
doctorpsycho1960 wrote:But then, making a feature film out of a picture book is pretty much always a bad idea.

On the contrary.

On the double contrary. ('way more political than Watchmen', Felstaff says aside)

On the triple contrary.
- Doug

ysth

Postby ysth » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:28 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:

I sometimes like to ask random "Americans" how many countries there are in North America. Hint: more than three.

You, sir, name? wrote:But then, how do you refer to a group of people from the Americas -- both south, central and north?
Oestehemispherios?
Last edited by ysth on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

Cactus Wren

Postby Cactus Wren » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:40 pm UTC

Somewhere Louise Fitzhugh is laughing her ass off.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

Agreed with Wild THings, it "looks" awesome, but, alas, we shall see how good it actually is. If it manages to live up to the book......I will be in love.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:58 pm UTC

ysth wrote:More fun: he should only make cultural references that are for some reason missing from wikipedia.

That would also prevent the idiotic "In popular culture" vandalism on Wikipedia.

I sometimes like to ask random "Americans" how many countries there are in North America. Hint: more than three.

I got curious and went to Wikipedia to check, and now I'm even more confused. In all my geography classes during school, I learnt that North America was Canada, the USA and Mexico, and then there was Central America and South America. I was wrong all the time!

lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl lοl

Mr. Burke

Postby Mr. Burke » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

ysth wrote:I sometimes like to ask random "Americans" how many countries there are in North America. Hint: more than three.
If only things were that easy. Dividing the Americas isn't exactly unambiguous. If you consider Mexico as Central American, you end up with four North American countries (or something similar), only two of which are sovereign.

What's your expected answer?

missbittens

Postby missbittens » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

Good comic, somewhat lessened by the two examples given in the tagline. 'Cause Bridge To Terabithia was actually a pretty good adaption, IMO. It was too Disneyfied, sure, but it stuck to the spirit of the book pretty well, probably because it was directed by the author's son. Who was furious himself at the trailers making it look like some cheapass Narnia ripoff. I wish we'd spent a bit less time in "Terabithia," though, or not been able to see what the kids were imagining, because too much focus was put on their imaginary adventures. I bet that was Disney's fault.

And I totally can't wait for Where The Wild Things Are. It's being directed by Spike Jonze, for one thing, and from everything I can see, they're aiming to make it good, rather than just aiming to make it popular. And the monsters are puppets rather than CGI, too. Also, the trailer was awesome.
Click the egg, help it hatch. Or else it dies.

CameoAppearance

Postby CameoAppearance » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

Not only did I confuse the dark-haired girl with River Tam, I thought this was a production of River Tam Beats Up Everyone. (Although her dialogue's too coherent to be consistent with River's normal characterization.)
I need a better signature.

SEE

Postby SEE » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:43 am UTC

ysth wrote:I sometimes like to ask random "Americans" how many countries there are in North America. Hint: more than three.

Please, tell us, what entirely arbitrary definition of North America do you use to pretend to yourself that others who use a different arbitrary definition are ignorant?

Designating in terms of places with a continuous continental shelf, there is no North America distinguishable from South America, Asia, Europe, and Africa.

Designating in terms of a continuous natural land connection, there is no North America distinguishable from South America.

Designating in terms of a continuous land connection, with canals counted as breaking such, there are ten. (Belize, Canada, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, and the United States.) Of course, then Manhattan isn't part of North America, since it's a separate island.

There are 13 countries on the North American tectonic plate — but they include Russia and Japan. (The Bahamas, Belize, Canada, Cuba, Denmark [Greenland], France [Saint Pierre and Miquelon], Guatemala [northern part], Iceland [western part], Mexico, Japan [northern part], Russia [eastern Siberia], the United Kingdom [Bermuda], and the United States.)

Designated politically, the definitions could either include all members of the North American Free Trade Agreement (Canada, Mexico, and the United States), or all members of the North American Aerospace Defense Command (Canada and the United States only).

dasada122

Postby dasada122 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:13 am UTC

SEE wrote:
Of course, then Manhattan isn't part of North America, since it's a separate island.

That may be a good thing.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:16 am UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:Wild THings, it "looks" awesome
Wild Things was a great thriller, but I'm not sure it's the movie you're referring to :)

I'm probably going to be ostracised for saying this, but I thought Starship Troopers was a great satire of modern media and war correspondence. And it had NPH, FFS! I agree it failed as an adaptation of the book.

Would you like to know more?
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

dasada122

Postby dasada122 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:36 am UTC

How DARE you compliment that movie?

msimswil

Postby msimswil » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:38 am UTC

Loving the existential nomenclature crisis.

How about "This is a group of people from the Americas -- south, central and north". Does everything have to have a collective noun? However, <pedantry> I personally wouldn't use "both" when commencing a list of more than two. </pedantry> sudo duckflyingkeyboard

Being British (and having lived in Japan for 15 years) may not entirely preclude me from having heard of Harriet the Spy, yet I kinda object to having someone be disgusted with me for not knowing of this character. I've never watched CSI Miami, so didn't get part of the Newton thing (sorry can't link yet). But thanks to this forum I have broadened my subcultural knowledge... so much so that when I see this...
aleflamedyud wrote:Nae director! Nae producer! Nae studio! Nae Michael Bay! We willnae be fooled again!

...I can now imagine some Pythonesque scotsman taking off his Shades of Justice to deliver a punchline. My life is richer. LLnP!
It seems that on April 29th 2010 I was in bed... with your sister.

sircheeziusbreezius

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:43 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Mr. Burke wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:

Or from Greenland or St. Pierre et Miquelon. I usually mean Canada (sans Québec, if you like) and the USA when referring to North America. Also, if American means “citizen of the USA”, what do you call the inhabitants of all of America?

usually it goes that people from the US are american, people from canada are canadian, mexicans are from mexico, etc. although, as i said in my reply to some other guy, i supposed that technically american COULD apply to anyone from north, central or south america, but thats not how its commonly used.

But then, how do you refer to a group of people from the Americas -- both south, central and north?

first of all, i now question everything you have said due to your improper usage of the word 'both'.
second, if someone was from brazil, someone was from canada and someone was from honduras, you wouldnt call them american, although you technically could.
it would most likely be stated as a brazilian, a canadian and a honduran and you wouldnt group them together.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him. He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; shun him. He who knows and knows that he knows is wise; follow him.

sircheeziusbreezius

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:49 am UTC

VectorZero wrote:Wild Things was a great thriller, but I'm not sure it's the movie you're referring to :)

yeah, thats not the movie being referred to. its "Where the Wild Things Are" which was/is a popular kids book.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him. He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; shun him. He who knows and knows that he knows is wise; follow him.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”