0634: "Date"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lu6cifer

Re: "Date" Discussion

Postby lu6cifer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:34 am UTC

wheee! I was in AP bio while reading this :)
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:34 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:For some reason, I don't like his use of the word disintegrate. I think degenerate or deteriorate would have been better word choices.

But that's just me...

Vent your frustration here!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:35 am UTC

They're talking about making kids.

Making kids.

MAKING kids.

Seriously, what planet is Randall living in?

(also, thanks for the caption at the botton -- every joke totally needs explaining at the end so the dumb masses will get it)

Squid Tamer

Postby Squid Tamer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:41 am UTC

But if they have a red-head on the second try, what happens to the first kid? Will he forever be treated the inferior of the two? The "Not what we wanted" kid?

These are powerful forces we're dealing with.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:55 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:For some reason, I don't like his use of the word disintegrate. I think degenerate or deteriorate would have been better word choices.

But that's just me...

Vent your frustration here!

The word itself doesn't annoy me; it's the fact he chose that word that annoys me. Disintegrate just doesn't sound right.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Mental Mouse

Postby Mental Mouse » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:04 pm UTC

Yeah, color-blindness wasn't the best line for the guy... his father is irrelevant, and it just means that his daughters will all be carriers, while his sons will be unaffected. Yep, my own dad was colorblind, while I got the "artists eyes" from Mom's side of the family. Perfect color vision, baby!

Red hair is trickier -- as I understand it, the usual form is a mixed-dominance allele, where one-out-of-two gives a paler color, such as strawberry blond or auburn. (But possibly still red freckles.) But that also gets overlaid by the "regular" melanin phenotype, so if that would be dark, you get chestnut (brunette) or black with red highlights. And eye color is even trickier -- the "brown over blue" story is just a fragment of the possibilities.

Shoulda stuck with earlobes and tongue curling, or maybe the "taster" genes. ("50% chance of a cabbage fan." "uh-oh...".)

blubloblu

Postby blubloblu » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

Anyone else really perturbed by the rounded corners of the panel?

Yarram

Postby Yarram » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:01 pm UTC

I'm confused why everyones commenting on the mis-logic behind a person who's parents are colourblind (Which coincidently automatically means that the child is colourblind, because colourblindness is an X chromosome trait, which while coincidently meaning that all male children who are colourblind won't have had the colourblindness passed on from their father, and all girls must have a father who's colourblind, and a mother who is at the very least, a carrier of the colourblind gene, because colourblindness is not a dominant trait, so both chromosones need it for a girl to be colourblind, which automatically means any son of a colourblind woman will be colourblind... But I'm sure we were all aware of this, I was just reiterating for the purpose of my statement. (The irony is that this explanation will take longer than the actual statement)) and not on the fact that the comic strip is funnier because of the irony included because of a colourblindness not allowing us to see red and green properly. Why assume that the man must have some other disorder when it's funnier because of the illogic?

OCEAT

Postby OCEAT » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

I liked it. I could see myself and a friend doing this on a bored Friday afternoon, though we're not dating.
Also, yea, in XKCDland (is it a place? Or a satellite floating through space?) people make babies. See: "Sweet! We made a baby!"
GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Say "ocean".
Look at my name.
Tee-hee.

Simon17

Postby Simon17 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:28 pm UTC

Red Hal: I was not feigning apathy. I just wanted everyone to be aware of my geek credentials, since nudity is such a big part of geek culture. I didn't want people to think that I disliked the comic simply because I am not part of "Xkcd's" target audience.

Also is it common among assholes to use a bunch of big words they learned in college to makeselves look smarter on the internet.
Randall, get out of my trunk!

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

OCEAT wrote:Also, yea, in XKCDland (is it a place? Or a satellite floating through space?) people make babies. See: "Sweet! We made a baby!"

Okay, well, I thought the point of that was to highlight the absolute nadir of parental ineptitude.
That would mean the people in the newest comic are not "quirky and smart people who DO NOT BELONG TO THE NUMB MASSES", but complete imbeciles?

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:19 pm UTC

Mental Mouse wrote:Yeah, color-blindness wasn't the best line for the guy... his father is irrelevant, and it just means that his daughters will all be carriers, while his sons will be unaffected. Yep, my own dad was colorblind, while I got the "artists eyes" from Mom's side of the family. Perfect color vision, baby!

Well clearly he's thinking about the grandkids.

They've got to be careful tough, green eyes and red hair isn't always a winning combination.

I know a guy who looks like a traffic light.

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:They're talking about making kids.

Ninhursag. That's the planet where all geniuses live, regardless of them knowing it or not.
Terra is such a bore.

(also, thanks for the caption at the botton -- every joke totally needs explaining at the end so the dumb masses will get it)

I don't think he was explaining the joke. His afterthoughts on the comics seem to be his attempt at capitalizing on the joke. It works fine for me.
Chaos Reigns!

sircheeziusbreezius

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

it strikes me as odd that so many people are saying they did this in high school.
this was 7th grade stuff for me and punnett squares where nowhere to be found in my high school bio..
good comic for a quick laugh though

Caffeinated wrote:Tell me I'm not the only girl that sits home at night and maps out the genetics of my ideal mate.

i hope that you are the only girl who does this, and that i am the only guy who does this.
then there is no question as to who we belong with...
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him. He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; shun him. He who knows and knows that he knows is wise; follow him.

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

sircheeziusbreezius wrote:
Caffeinated wrote:Tell me I'm not the only girl that sits home at night and maps out the genetics of my ideal mate.

i hope that you are the only girl who does this, and that i am the only guy who does this.
then there is no question as to who we belong with...

...but what if you're genetically, um... unideal? :shock:

umop ap!sdn

Postby umop ap!sdn » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:01 pm UTC

Squid Tamer wrote:But if they have a red-head on the second try, what happens to the first kid? Will he forever be treated the inferior of the two? The "Not what we wanted" kid?

Well as long as they keep the receipt, it shouldn't be a problem.

Interesting that the "red headed step child' is desirable in this situation.
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

If not satisfied with this post, please return unused portion for full refund.

Gero

Postby Gero » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:10 pm UTC

root wrote:alt-text: Well, the kid's definitely getting the biology geek phenotype.

That's one of my phenotypes too. The gene for it must be recessive cause neither my parents show even a little.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:11 pm UTC

Yarram wrote:I'm confused why everyones commenting on the mis-logic behind a person who's parents are colourblind (Which coincidently automatically means that the child is colourblind, because colourblindness is an X chromosome trait, which while coincidently meaning that all male children who are colourblind won't have had the colourblindness passed on from their father, and all girls must have a father who's colourblind, and a mother who is at the very least, a carrier of the colourblind gene, because colourblindness is not a dominant trait, so both chromosones need it for a girl to be colourblind, which automatically means any son of a colourblind woman will be colourblind... But I'm sure we were all aware of this, I was just reiterating for the purpose of my statement. (The irony is that this explanation will take longer than the actual statement)) and not on the fact that the comic strip is funnier because of the irony included because of a colourblindness not allowing us to see red and green properly. Why assume that the man must have some other disorder when it's funnier because of the illogic?

Hey, Randall only gives us biologists the occasional xkcd comic to criticize, let us have our fun. :D

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Al-pocalypse wrote:A truely 'Get out of my head Randall' moment!

My girlfriend and I were actually doing this last night! And figured out that with our mix of genetics that almost anything is possible in our offspring! I dread to think what the results will eventually be!

Perhaps your avatar provides a clue? :wink:
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

sircheeziusbreezius

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

Jamaican Castle wrote:...but what if you're genetically, um... unideal? :shock:

surgery lololol
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him. He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; shun him. He who knows and knows that he knows is wise; follow him.

obituary

Postby obituary » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

i dont think gingers are adorable.

:p
hey. i like you. <3.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

Eikinkloster wrote:

Ninhursag. That's the planet where all geniuses live, regardless of them knowing it or not.
Terra is such a bore.

If a world is boring for being inhabited by actual human beings, well, I'd rather stay in it; at least here I can HAVE my children.

IIAOPSW

Postby IIAOPSW » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

But that's just me...

i didn't like it either. I would have said digressed.

I had this problem once when i couldn't recall the word decay so i used deteriorate instead. I think randall had the same problem
-President of the peoples republik of the internet.

screw your coffee, i download my java!

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

So, if the biologists were also interested in optometry, would the be searching to see if their child would be macular degenerate?
(that could be really bad)

Squid Tamer wrote:But if they have a red-head on the second try, what happens to the first kid? Will he forever be treated the inferior of the two? The "Not what we wanted" kid?

I resemble that remark.

Mental Mouse wrote:Yeah, color-blindness wasn't the best line for the guy... his father is irrelevant, and it just means that his daughters will all be carriers, while his sons will be unaffected. Yep, my own dad was colorblind, while I got the "artists eyes" from Mom's side of the family. Perfect color vision, baby!

Red hair is trickier -- as I understand it, the usual form is a mixed-dominance allele, where one-out-of-two gives a paler color, such as strawberry blond or auburn. (But possibly still red freckles.) But that also gets overlaid by the "regular" melanin phenotype, so if that would be dark, you get chestnut (brunette) or black with red highlights. And eye color is even trickier -- the "brown over blue" story is just a fragment of the possibilities.

Shoulda stuck with earlobes and tongue curling, or maybe the "taster" genes. ("50% chance of a cabbage fan." "uh-oh...".)

Total win!!! Hereby crowned King of the Lab for the next 42 minutes.
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Ekko

Postby Ekko » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

I initially read the "both my parents were colorblind" as separate from the conversation. It's actually quite funny that way, with the careful planning being totally useless.

Also, if the man is red/green colorblind, he's likely misinterpreting the "redeye" effect on a photograph as green eyes. I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it's funnier if it is.
I prefer to think of it as ekkochamber.me, personally.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:11 pm UTC

quadmaster wrote:Yay genealogy! first p0st!!!!!1!!1! I is so hax
Actually, 8th grade science has left me with an eternal hatred for punnett squares.

Same here. I never understood them, which was infuriating because they looked so simple.

Heh, they're doing natural genetic engineering! Somehow, it's even more inhuman (inhumane?) than artificial genetic engineering.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

lalliend

Postby lalliend » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:26 pm UTC

I do Punnet squares in my head All the time! Heterozygous are more fun than recessives.

syko_lozz

Postby syko_lozz » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

awesome- this is going into todays genetics lecture!
Debate politics with a fern. If you lose, refuse to water it.

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

Oh man, I can totally see myself doing this. I have half a mind to organize a speed-genotyping-date at the Life Science faculty to see who can come up with the most interesting family prospects. :P

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:29 am UTC

Simon17 wrote:You're absolutely right. How could I have been so stupid? That was just silly. Let me give it another shot:

Eternal Density wrote:An xkcd relating to human reproduction? How novel.
And by novel I mean not novel

I was employing a literary technique known as irony, because I said the opposite of what I meant.
And the point of replacing my joke with something Randall would do in a comic is what exactly?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

quadmaster

Postby quadmaster » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:37 am UTC

...semi misquote...
that is all
Come on, can't I have a little fun? :D

EDIT: Dang, and my last post for a while, to.
I... I didn't do it.
<- he did it, I swear

Troger64

Postby Troger64 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:54 am UTC

its all fun and game

but i remember a time where my biology-major sister told me she was scoping guys out, making sure they had good genes (ie no glasses, not short...)

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:16 am UTC

Yes, yes they are. Because in order to HAVE a child, one first needs to MAKE said child.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:28 am UTC

Faranya wrote:

Yes, yes they are. Because in order to HAVE a child, one first needs to MAKE said child.

Yes, and biologists all speak like that, because they're all geeky and scientific like, and they don't speak like actual people. DUDE THAT'S COMEDY GOLD

... you know, one COULD suppose that the bad dialogue is part of the joke, but I'm being led to believe that you don't think so.

Jenni Nikki

Postby Jenni Nikki » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:27 am UTC

I've done this, sometimes in my head, sometimes with the other person. Even though I date girls. :lol:

aldld

Postby aldld » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:20 am UTC

blubloblu wrote:Anyone else really perturbed by the rounded corners of the panel?

Yes! I noticed that too! I even went back a few to make sure that it wasn't always like this.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:44 am UTC

aldld wrote:
blubloblu wrote:Anyone else really perturbed by the rounded corners of the panel?

Yes! I noticed that too! I even went back a few to make sure that it wasn't always like this.

It kinda reminded me of Battlestar Galactica... which in turn made me wonder if Cylonness would be a recesive trait or not.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

surreal20

Postby surreal20 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:03 am UTC

I don't know if anyone said anything yet, but a female is unable to be color blind. It's genetic that only males are color blind. Sorry, but it just bothered me that it said that both his parent's were color blind. *twitches*

I still found it funny :)

axtheb

Postby axtheb » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:56 am UTC

surreal20 wrote:I don't know if anyone said anything yet, but a female is unable to be color blind. It's genetic that only males are color blind. Sorry, but it just bothered me that it said that both his parent's were color blind. *twitches*

I still found it funny :)

Really? I know at least two color blind girls. One has deuteranomaly and one has tritanomaly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

Okay, let's say that, though probably very unlikely, they manage to "make" a redheaded, green-eyed, red-green colorblind boy. Would the boy be able to tell much difference between the color of his hair and the color of his eyes? :p
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”