0647: "Scary"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

odie

0647: "Scary"

Postby odie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:03 am UTC

Alt Text: I'm teaching every 8 year old relative to say this and every 14 year old to do the same thing with Toy Story. Also, Pokemon hit the US over a decade ago and kids born after Aladdin came out will turn 18 next year

Comment: all i can say is shit thats scary, was it that long ago?

Glade

Re: "Scary" Discussion

Postby Glade » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:05 am UTC

I like doing that sort of thing- making older people realize that what has been a fact of life for them is a piece of history for me.

Having it done back to me just reassures me that it's effective.

TheTedinator

Postby TheTedinator » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:06 am UTC

I like this comic. Toy Story came out before I was born? And wow, even to me 9/11 seems more recent.

bradleyjx

Postby bradleyjx » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:06 am UTC

I just started hitting the point in college when I can start measuring experiences in decades rather than years.

Not the most fun realization in the world...

Me321

Postby Me321 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:06 am UTC

Also this year's college freshmen were born after the fall of the berlin wall.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:07 am UTC

I didn't think the 9/11 thing was so bad since I was thinking about that recently. But some of that other stuff is actually kind of scary... :shock:

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:07 am UTC

Stop that, you're scaring me >_<

Hi joee!

In contribution, I had this conversation on another forum not a week ago. Someone was saying how The Little Mermaid was released 20 years ago, and that Ariel was now a milf. That scared me :$

Ursula was hot, for a milf, back in the day.

aeris92

Postby aeris92 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:08 am UTC

Wow, that was pretty deep, y'know. I had to pause for a minute and think about it - I'm turning 18 next year and I've done nothing meaningful with my life - does that feeling ever go away?

captain2obvious
Location: Standing in line, waiting for the Justice League to accept my application

Postby captain2obvious » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:08 am UTC

The comic isn't nearly as scary as the fact that it took 3 minutes to get a comic thread going
Belial wrote:A misunderstanding? On the internet??!!? Say it ain't so, Superman!!!
Pseudonym wrote:Assuming we know everything is sheer arrogance, but assuming we know nothing is sheer absurdity.

frezik

Postby frezik » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:09 am UTC

I'll post the obligatory "get out of my head, Randal". A little while ago, I saw someone post "I was 10 when I saw the planes hit the towers", and I realized that person would be 18 by now, that they would have vague memories of Clinton the way I have vague memories of Reagan, and that I'm now far enough outside the age / 2 + 7 rule that I can no longer date an 18 year old.

Very scary indeed.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Mcecny

Postby Mcecny » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:10 am UTC

That is one scary comic. I was alive when windows first came out....scary thought.

TheTedinator

Postby TheTedinator » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:10 am UTC

captain2obvious wrote:The comic isn't nearly as scary as the fact that it took 3 minutes to get a comic thread going

I came to read peoples reactions and there was no thread! I almost started one, but then i refreshed the page and there was a discussion.

ETA: Did anyone else notice that his head seems to dent in the last panel? My initial thought is that he'd brained himself with the flashlight... :P
Last edited by TheTedinator on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Blackjack

Postby Blackjack » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:10 am UTC

Has it really been THAT long? Sheesh, I was thinking earlier about how awesome Pokemon was back in the day.

...if anyone needs me, I'll be curled up in bed in the fetal position.

aeris92

Postby aeris92 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:11 am UTC

captain2obvious wrote:The comic isn't nearly as scary as the fact that it took 3 minutes to get a comic thread going

I would've started one but I was so terribly shaken. And now, I think It's time to go to sleep and hopefully not dream of those towers.
Last edited by aeris92 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Megaryuu

Postby Megaryuu » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:12 am UTC

I was born after the internet. I'm 18.

Me321

Postby Me321 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:12 am UTC

we were all in shock.

another one, the current college freshmen have only known 3 presidents.

captain2obvious
Location: Standing in line, waiting for the Justice League to accept my application

Postby captain2obvious » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:13 am UTC

TheTedinator wrote:

I came to read peoples reactions and there was no thread! I almost started one, but then i refreshed the page and there was a discussion.

Same here, I love reading peoples reactions to the comics. I waited for a few minutes and then made one but then I saw this one up, so I jumped onto this un.
Belial wrote:A misunderstanding? On the internet??!!? Say it ain't so, Superman!!!
Pseudonym wrote:Assuming we know everything is sheer arrogance, but assuming we know nothing is sheer absurdity.

Megaryuu

Postby Megaryuu » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:15 am UTC

What year did Windows XP come out anyone?

TheTedinator

Postby TheTedinator » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:16 am UTC

captain2obvious wrote:
TheTedinator wrote:

Same here, I love reading peoples reactions to the comics. I waited for a few minutes and then made one but then I saw this one up, so I jumped onto this un.

I've never been around at the birth of a discussion thread, so I'm surprised at how fast people post.

captain2obvious

Postby captain2obvious » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:18 am UTC

TheTedinator wrote:ETA: Did anyone else notice that his head seems to dent in the last panel? My initial thought is that he'd brained himself with the flashlight... :P

Actually his brain imploded from his new level of awareness. =P

aldld

Postby aldld » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:19 am UTC

Did Randall get some new pens, or something?

frezik

Postby frezik » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:21 am UTC

Me321 wrote:another one, the current college freshmen have only known 3 presidents.

That doesn't seem quite right. An 18 year old would be born in 1991, when Bush I was President, and then there's Clinton, Bush II, and Obama, making 4. Unless you're only counting Presidents who have so far served a full term.

Not a particularly unusual fact, in any case. A pair of two-term Presidents take up 16 years, and a third would be halfway through the term to make 18. The max would be 4 one-term Presidents plus a half term.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

KestralTweet

Postby KestralTweet » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:22 am UTC

Megaryuu wrote:What year did Windows XP come out anyone?

October 25 2001 in retail stores.

Well, anyways. This was scary when I realized it. 9/11 was 8 years ago, although it doesn't feel like it. I remember that I was in about 1st or 2nd grade then. Also, I saw Toy Story as a baby of 4 months and 5 days when it came out!

Iluvatar

Postby Iluvatar » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:22 am UTC

Man, the 9/11 thing got me. It seems like it was just a few years back, and we're still living in a "Post-9/11" world.

Come to think of it, I'm going to be really freaked out when I start having political discussions with marginally informed people who don't remember off the top of their head what '9/11' was. Considering the 8-year old in the comic, it won't be too long. :S

aeris92 wrote:I'm turning 18 next year and I've done nothing meaningful with my life - does that feeling ever go away?
Only if you do something meaningful with your life. At the moment, I've got my passion in life (software dev), my hobby (urban exploration), and my friends. Meaning in life, assuming one is not religious, is self-derrived- as such, life is like The Game: the only way to win is to decide you've won.
"Don't you see?!"

"Get out of my bed, Randall, I'm trying to sleep!"

Your results may vary.

AislinKageno

Postby AislinKageno » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:23 am UTC

It was the Aladdin bit that truly terrified me. I hit the two-decade mark this year, and it's a frightening prospect knowing that there are kids around nowadays who never experienced the joys of the Disney Renaissance in the nineties.
<insert awesome signature here!>

Me321

Postby Me321 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:24 am UTC

frezik wrote:
Me321 wrote:another one, the current college freshmen have only known 3 presidents.

That doesn't seem quite right. An 18 year old would be born in 1991, when Bush I was President, and then there's Clinton, Bush II, and Obama, making 4. Unless you're only counting Presidents who have so far served a full term.

Not a particularly unusual fact, in any case. A pair of two-term Presidents take up 16 years, and a third would be halfway through the term to make 18. The max would be 4 one-term Presidents plus a half term.

true, my math was off, but they were only 2 so they still only have rememberd 3 presidents, 2 before this year.

AislinKageno

Postby AislinKageno » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:25 am UTC

Well, anyways. This was scary when I realized it. 9/11 was 8 years ago, although it doesn't feel like it. I remember that I was in about 1st or 2nd grade then. Also, I saw Toy Story as a baby of 4 months and 5 days when it came out!

Your parents took a four-month old baby to a movie theater? I hope you didn't disrupt the movie for too many others. ^^
<insert awesome signature here!>

KestralTweet

Postby KestralTweet » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:27 am UTC

AislinKageno wrote:

Your parents took a four-month old baby to a movie theater? I hope you didn't disrupt the movie for too many others. ^^

My parents tell me I was asleep through the whole thing. I was a sleepy baby. :x

tjo86

Postby tjo86 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:29 am UTC

I joined this forum just to say this:
Damn you Randall Munroe. Damn you so much

(23 btw)

schismtracer

Postby schismtracer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:29 am UTC

God dammit, 27 year-olds shouldn't feel old...yet here I am.

:(

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:30 am UTC

Hmm... The 8th Graders in my mom's English class have never known a world with out PokeMon.

I was in 8th grad when 9/11 happened...

How many high schoolers have never used a floppy disk? Or dang, video cassettes... those started disappearing ten or eleven years ago....

Nyerguds

Postby Nyerguds » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:33 am UTC

Arrrgh... it's TITLE text.

Get it right, people!

cephalopod9 wrote:How many high schoolers have never used a floppy disk? Or dang, video cassettes... those started disappearing ten or eleven years ago....

Too true... and none of them have any clue how to do stuff like simple batch rename or copy operations with wildcards in a command prompt either. It's pretty sad...

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:35 am UTC

glasnt wrote:In contribution, I had this conversation on another forum not a week ago. Someone was saying how The Little Mermaid was released 20 years ago, and that Ariel was now a milf. That scared me :$

Ursula was hot, for a milf, back in the day.

I believe the word you're looking for is actually "cougar." "Milf" does not imply any particular age, but does entail parenthood. And while I will not deny that Ursula is one bad mother, and some may consider her a hot mama... OK I'm done.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

joee

Postby joee » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:36 am UTC

hi glasnt! feeling any better?

I'm simultaneously being derided for not knowing about 80s kids TV, and scared at how much kids tv/music/everything now has changed so much since i was a kid >.<
Hi glasnt.

RamblingPants

Postby RamblingPants » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:39 am UTC

I worked with kids this summer, and freaked out when I realized this. Not only 9/11, but the children I could sit down and have a conversation with never knew a world without Pokemon. That seemed to mess with me the most.

Get out of my head from four months ago, Randall.

mlch1453

Postby mlch1453 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:41 am UTC

You know what's scary? There are currently 666 topics on this board

dr7

Postby dr7 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:42 am UTC

THANKS A LOT, I AM NOW FREAKED OUT BEYOND BELIEF.

I won't get any sleep tonight.
dr7: king of the wicker people

nomulous

Postby nomulous » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:43 am UTC

Next it'll be "younger than YouTube" which was circa 2003 I think.

Kailen

Postby Kailen » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:43 am UTC

I recently got back into Magic:TG. I came to this realization when I was showing one of my opponents (Edit: He's 12) cards that were older than he is.
Last edited by Kailen on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
* These senseless ramblings brought to you by Insanity™. If you just can't figure the dang thing out, it must be Insanity™.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:46 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:How many high schoolers have never used a floppy disk? Or dang, video cassettes... those started disappearing ten or eleven years ago....

Used both, am Sophomore. I did this too, recently. Huh.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”