0647: "Scary"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Tolf

Re: "Scary" Discussion

Postby Tolf » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:55 pm UTC

I find it bad that some high school kids Dont even get this
http://www.bustedtees.com/blowme

Even worse.,,,,
Zelda Ocarina of time
Over ten years man

I'm 15 and I still prefer cartridges to disks and Ocarina of Time is still my favorite game.
I had an idea to put cartridges back for game consoles using flash drives. Seems a lot simpler than disks that can get scratched and such.

gypkap

Postby gypkap » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:02 pm UTC

No one has brought this up yet.

While lots of people have music on iPods and so forth, if they bought that music as a protected copy (iTunes, and there are others), they don't really have a way to keep those tunes permanently, because the copy protection won't let them. What are people going to do when their music players die, and the music can't be transferred? This is where the ancient media of LPs and CDs lets people listen to music that isn't copy protected. Yes, I'm still buying new and used CDs... :)

Zaoldyeck

Postby Zaoldyeck » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

I'm 21, I'm younger than the Beatles were when they came out on Ed Sullivan, and yet, I can't help but feel so very tragically old.

This really was a scary comic @_@

(Hell, even this discussion makes me feel old)

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

ysth wrote:
BlueNight wrote:Wait... You mean that there are children right now, possibly reading this forum and responding in erudite tones, to whom The Lion King is as much "before their time" as The Rescuers was for me? To whom The Rescuers is as old as 101 Dalmations is to me?
The math doesn't work there; The Rescuers was 1959 and the Hundred and One Dalmations 1956...

The Rescuers was '77, and 101 Dalmatians was '61.
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

You know in the year 2020 I'm going to look back on all of this with such clarity.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

vidd

Postby vidd » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

[quote="odie]Comment: all i can say is shit thats scary, was it that long ago?[/quote]

i, for one, am scared shitless. kidyounAUGHT aughhh

vviipp

Postby vviipp » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

I was in Grade 2 when 9/11 happened, but I think we were out during recess. What I should have done before I graduated was ask my Grade 2 teacher what we were doing during 9/11 'cause I don't remember a damn thing.

vidd

Postby vidd » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

vviipp wrote:I was in Grade 2 when 9/11 happened, but I think we were out during recess. What I should have done before I graduated was ask my Grade 2 teacher what we were doing during 9/11 'cause I don't remember a damn thing.

thank you for making me feel all that extra old.
so what?

Ezbez

Postby Ezbez » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

I like the subtle shading on "Uncle Rob"'s face.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

All this talk of 9/11 makes me wonder if anybody else's school tried so militantly to hide it. I was in fifth grade when the vice principal walked in, gave everybody a letter for their parents and told us to follow our normal routine and avoid the news(when one kid asked "what if we normally watch the news?", she reiterated the point that we were not to watch it).
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

captain2obvious
Location: Standing in line, waiting for the Justice League to accept my application

Postby captain2obvious » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

The discussion has just gotten depressing. Its also made me realize how strange a kid I am. I'm 16, I love floppy-drives, I owned an NES, I listen to 70s and 80s music, I remember the transition from VHS to DVD and I remember being upset about it (same for cartridges to disks); but at the same time I used a computer when i was a little kid and I barely remember cassettes. I'm not sure if I should feel old or what :?
Belial wrote:A misunderstanding? On the internet??!!? Say it ain't so, Superman!!!
Pseudonym wrote:Assuming we know everything is sheer arrogance, but assuming we know nothing is sheer absurdity.

captain2obvious
Location: Standing in line, waiting for the Justice League to accept my application

Postby captain2obvious » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

BioTube wrote:All this talk of 9/11 makes me wonder if anybody else's school tried so militantly to hide it. I was in fifth grade when the vice principal walked in, gave everybody a letter for their parents and told us to follow our normal routine and avoid the news(when one kid asked "what if we normally watch the news?", she reiterated the point that we were not to watch it).

I was in third grade and our teacher told us right after it happened. She scraped whatever it was she had scheduled and we watched the news until lunch.
Belial wrote:A misunderstanding? On the internet??!!? Say it ain't so, Superman!!!
Pseudonym wrote:Assuming we know everything is sheer arrogance, but assuming we know nothing is sheer absurdity.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

Or us on the west coast it already started before I woke up (the first plane had hit when I woke up that morning, the second minutes later)
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

PaleBlueDot

Postby PaleBlueDot » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:32 pm UTC

Hey, guys. I've been reading xkcd for a while and registered a couple months ago, but haven't posted anything.

I'm 15, and I spent my early childhood in a world of rotary dial phones, CD ROMs, VHS tapes, and dial-up internet. I experienced the later part of the Disney Renaissance and the Golden Age of Disney/Pixar (you know what I'm talking about). I Remember the transition from VHS to DVD very well, although my family has always been behind the times when it comes to technology. Musically, I'm 55 or 60, having grown up with the music of the 60s and 70s playing on cassette and CD. I experienced 9/11 as a very confused 7 year-old, and watched the 2003 invasion of Iraq on the floor of my Grandparents living room. Although I was born during the Chretien premiership and the Clinton administration, I became politically aware at 11, so my whole political awareness has been post-9/11 and Bush Jr. era. The first election I ever followed was the 2006 Canadian federal election, and my first presidential election was 2008.

To people my age, not only has Freddie Mercury always been dead, Kurt Cobain has.

aslovensyrup

Postby aslovensyrup » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

You should train thirty year olds to say "Star Wars came out before I was born, but I'm old enough to have this conversation with you." That should keep the listener guessing and confused.
(I can't claim that since I was finishing my freshman year in college when Darth Vader made his first appearance, but I did actually used to freak 'older' people out with "Sputnik was in orbit before I was born.")

Just thought for those of you who had calmed down from the shock of this comic I would give you a scare from the other side.

tetsujin

Postby tetsujin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

PaleBlueDot wrote:To people my age, not only has Freddie Mercury always been dead, Kurt Cobain has.

Yeah, I think Cobain is definitely one for this sort of thing - probably because I was in 7th grade or so when "Smells like Teen Spirit" came out, and we were knee-deep in "Generation X" talk when I was in high school... So...

People born after Cobain died are now in high school... People born after "Smells like Teen Spirit" are finishing high school or starting college...

Are you one of those old-school Star Trek fans who scoffs at the JJ Abrams treatment? Maybe you aren't clear on why they felt the need to reboot?

Those born after Star Trek IV, and Shatner's epic Star Trek Convention/"Get a Life" sketch on SNL, and the start of Star Trek: The Next Generation, are old enough to drink in the US.

Remember how cool the Borg were, back in the day? Those born after the end of Star Trek: The Next Generation are in high school. "First Contact", arguably the last good Borg story, was 13 years ago. The climactic "Best of Both Worlds" aired nineteen years ago.

Those born after Star Trek VI, the send-off film for the original cast, at which point said castmembers hadn't yet died or entered severe old age but had become seriously and unquestionably old, are now legally adults.

Those people who think Greedo shot first? Teenagers, now, some of them. Those born after the special editions are now 12.

Street Fighter II? Motal Kombat? 17-18 years ago.

Those born after the "Lord of the Rings" film trilogy are probably old enough to watch it... (Depends on how you define "old enough"...)

And finally - Guster is now doing a tour to celebrate the ten-year anniversary of their third album, "Lost and Gone Forever"...

<shrug> It kind of stinks sometimes to think about how much time has gone by, and put that in perspective of how much time is likely to remain - accept the end of one's youth, etc. But, you know, that's life...
---GEC
I want to create a truly new command-line shell for Unix.
Anybody want to place bets on whether I ever get any code written?

aterimperator

Postby aterimperator » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

Mazurka wrote:Think about how many people will grow up to drive in cars that ALL have CD players in them. And how many of those will NOT have a tape cassette player. What about all the kids who won't know that Ender's Game actually has three sequels and a parallel novel (assuming they know of Ender's Game in the first place)? Or that Lord of the Rings wasn't originally a movie...
I personally prefer tape players, it allows me to use this new fandangled mp3 contraption... Also no one read's Ender's Game's sequels, everyone reads ender's shadow and its sequels instead.

aterimperator

Postby aterimperator » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

EldestPort wrote:5 1/4" floppies? Anyone?
Hmm, good point, I remember those.

aquilo

Postby aquilo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

BioTube wrote:All this talk of 9/11 makes me wonder if anybody else's school tried so militantly to hide it. I was in fifth grade when the vice principal walked in, gave everybody a letter for their parents and told us to follow our normal routine and avoid the news(when one kid asked "what if we normally watch the news?", she reiterated the point that we were not to watch it).

I was in high-school, and at my school they made an announcement to keep rumours from getting out of hand. They basically said "Yes, there have been terrorist attacks in the States. Yes, there are casualties. No, there have been no attacks in Canada. Please do not beat up students from Middle-Eastern countries, they had nothing to do with this." Then each of my classes watched the news for the rest of the day.

HighSpeedFallingObjects

Postby HighSpeedFallingObjects » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:36 am UTC

I'm sixteen, and I believe I was in third grade when 9/11 happened. I still remember it quite clearly, it's not something one forgets -- especially when everyone's all like, "Never forget".

I also remember a lot of old movies because my grandma had old Disney movies that I'd watch. My favorite was (and still is 'cause I'm a loser and all) The Brave Little Toaster, which was released in 1987 according to Wikipedia. The oldest I saw was probably Pinocchio, which came out in the 30s I think.

I also remember when Cartoon Network aired older shows like the Original Scooby-Doo, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Loony Tunes, The Chuck Jones and that other guy's cartoons -- and also the awesome shows of the 90s that I still miss: Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, The Powerpuff Girls, Courage The Cowardly Dog, Cow and Chicken.

I definitely remember VHS, because we had a lot of those. Also floppy discs, which I used until flash drives came out. And Windows 95, since my grandma never upgraded her ancient machine. And non-digital music on CDs and Cassettes. And pagers/beepers. And AOL dial-up. And polyphonic ring tones on cell phones without cameras. And Pocket PCs. Okay, now I guess I'm moving into territory of tech that really isn't that old to some of you, but you get the point.

So even I feel kind of old sometimes. That's really weird. My little siblings are growing up in a world where 9/11, HD content, smart phones, broadband internet and awful mainstream music are all common. Huh.

Sarda

Postby Sarda » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:50 am UTC

BioTube wrote:SirMustapha, the interval's getting smaller because technology's advancing faster(how many people here have used a joystick?).

This doesn't make me feel any younger... I was using a joystick for Jedi Knight games at 7. 9 years ago.
If P AND NOT P then the lotto numbers will be 4, 19, 23, 194, the fine structure constant, and Birmingham.

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:35 am UTC

As a 16-year-old who has lived his entire life in New York City...wow.

September 11th, 2001 was my second day of third grade. It was a partly cloudy day with low humidity and temperatures in the upper 60's. Attending a Jewish day school, I originally thought we were being let out early because of yet another Jewish holiday.

I remember watching the news reports on ABC7 and NY1, flipping to Channel 12 and seeing "No Signal" (they used the North Tower antenna to broadcast, so their channel was down), seeing my father come home after walking for miles (he had been on his way to a 9:05 business meeting on the 110th floor of the WTC1 when he saw both planes hit), and watching WTC7 collapse live.

*sigh*

On an slightly different note, the other day I found my little sister (in 5th grade) playing Runescape. I played Runescape at her age. I raked up ~150k in gp and was this close to egtting mithril full armor. She asked me if I knew about Runescape. I told her that I ha played before they incorporated 3D (released as Runescape 2). She didn't believe that Runescape had ever been 2D.

*sigh*
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

MarioMaster151

Postby MarioMaster151 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:53 am UTC

i hate realizing that i play videogames that are older than most of my friends (NES/SNES/atari/sega genesis) and that kids now think the nintendo 64 and playstation 1 are ancient, when i remember standing in line at walmart for ten minutes to play mario 64 for the first time, and it was soooo amazing because it was 3-D and the graphics were like nothing i'd ever seen before. and kids who dont know that lord of the rings was a book before it was a movie disturb me. and remembering a time before cd's (they're not that old) and a computer that runs on ms dos....shit. im getting old. that is scary

MooglesLord

Postby MooglesLord » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:57 am UTC

aterimperator wrote:
Mazurka wrote:Think about how many people will grow up to drive in cars that ALL have CD players in them. And how many of those will NOT have a tape cassette player. What about all the kids who won't know that Ender's Game actually has three sequels and a parallel novel (assuming they know of Ender's Game in the first place)? Or that Lord of the Rings wasn't originally a movie...
I personally prefer tape players, it allows me to use this new fandangled mp3 contraption... Also no one read's Ender's Game's sequels, everyone reads ender's shadow and its sequels instead.

I actually really liked the tape player in my Oldsmobile. Back when my mp3 worked it was pretty awesome having to not change cd's every so often. I'm still rather happy that my inheritance from my parents will be their cassette/vinyl collection, as well as most of their books.

The Ender's Game bit does scare me a little bit though. I remember how surprised I was after I first read it that there were several sequels and a parallel series, both of each either really made me think, or got me all choked up (Damn Shadow of the Giant!). Is it weird that on the off chance I ever have kids, I'm gonna try and raise them in an environment somewhat similar to what I grew up in? I'd like them surrounded by old and new technology and concepts alike, so that they can appreciate that which came before them, and still marvel at all the new things ahead.

Also, for the record, at 19, I still stand by my decision that some of the best games ever made were created for the Sega genesis :) I'm actually replaying Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium right now.

Morningstar

Postby Morningstar » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:57 am UTC

It works in the reverse too.

I am turning 28 this month. I remember what it was like to see the Berlin Wall come down over the TV. I remember where I was when Lady Diana died. I remember Pokemon being new and edgy. I remember the rise of the internet, and the birth of the mobile phone. I remember Australia's bicentennary.

All of these things are events that have had an effect on how I experience the world, and realise the people who don't remember it will not have these things as formative experiences. Similarly, I don't remember the moon landing. I don't recall woodstock, JFK assassination, etc...

The last living memories of World War I are dying or dead.

billythehick

Postby billythehick » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:53 am UTC

i was the lead in a pantomime two years ago, my phone at the time was a Nokia 3510. About a third of the cast were younger than it.

billythehick

Postby billythehick » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:54 am UTC

Morningstar wrote:The last living memories of World War I are dying or dead.

How can a living memory be dead?

foodeater184

Postby foodeater184 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:13 am UTC

Some people here seem to be looking at the past through rose colored glasses here.. why would you keep using obsolete technologies unless you had to? For example, floppies were annoying as hell to me when I was a kid.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:53 am UTC

Four years ago (I think that's about when it was), I sat in on a meeting of a community college Statistics class. The prof told a story about a poll related to the Rodney King verdict, and he said, "Some of you may have heard about Rodney King..." I was well underway with a thought process about how, damn, I know that a lot of people don't really follow the news, I know that one should never take for granted that people are knowledgeable about important events and issues, but, wow, is it really possible that a substantial number of people could miss something as big as the Rodney King riots?! ....and then I realized that most of the people in that room were in preschool when those riots happened. That felt weeeiiiiird.

Mazurka wrote:What about all the kids who won't know that Ender's Game actually has three sequels and a parallel novel (assuming they know of Ender's Game in the first place)?

Wait, why would modern kids be any less likely to know this than anybody else? I haven't heard of them being out of print or anything. :? :?:
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Blackjack

Postby Blackjack » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:19 am UTC

Oh damn, and another thing!

I remember my buddy and I scraping money together and sending off to get games- Jazz Jackrabbit, Jill of the Jungle, and... Hocus Pocus, I think we ended up getting, at different times.

On floppy discs.

We had to wait like 2 months to get them.

Those were some fuckin' awesome games, though, and well worth the wait, but still... waiting for software to arrive in the mailbox. It's something that just doesn't happen anymore.

Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN

Postby Chuff » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:19 am UTC

The first Harry Potter book and the last bad theatrical Batman movie came out 12 years ago, in 1997.
Andre the Giant died the year I was born, 1993.

Have fun, guys.
The Great Hippo wrote:The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
addams wrote:How human of him. "If, they can do it, then, I can do it." Humans. Pfft. Poor us.

aquilo

Postby aquilo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:21 am UTC

foodeater184 wrote:Some people here seem to be looking at the past through rose colored glasses here.. why would you keep using obsolete technologies unless you had to? For example, floppies were annoying as hell to me when I was a kid.

I see two parts to this:

First, it's about keeping a sense of wonder about new technology. I think it's really cool that you no longer have to wait for photos to be developed, and that computers can run full-motion video, and that I can instantly read an introductory article on any subject online without having a book about it. For younger kids, these things are normal, and it's kind of sad that the wonder is gone.

Second, we want things that we really enjoyed to be appreciated. This is especially true of our grandparent's generation. They had a lot of fun playing outside-games that kids today have forgotten, and have replaced with video games. Those outside games were good, and kids today should give them a try. It's the same with TV shows and movies. Kids' shows from the '80s were awesome, and it's a bit sad that some of them no longer air and only exist on fanboy DVDs and online top-ten lists.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:33 am UTC

Blackjack wrote:Oh damn, and another thing!

I remember my buddy and I scraping money together and sending off to get games- Jazz Jackrabbit, Jill of the Jungle, and... Hocus Pocus, I think we ended up getting, at different times.

On floppy discs.

We had to wait like 2 months to get them.

Those were some fuckin' awesome games, though, and well worth the wait, but still... waiting for software to arrive in the mailbox. It's something that just doesn't happen anymore.

Jazz Jackrabbit! Jazz Jackrabbit! Jazz Freaking Jackrabbit!

Oh my god that game was awesome. I miss it. I remember playing it on a computer that had Windows 95, yet we always used DoS to get into all the games and such. I dunno why.

I played Jazz Jackrabbit when I was about 5 or 6. It came on floppy disks. 5 1/4 inch floppy disks. About three of them. Those things were huge. and floppy. they didn't have the hard shell like the 3 inch ones, so they actually were floppy. I loved that.

And before I looked up floppy disks just now, I didn't even know that 8 inch floppies had ever existed. damn. This thread is doing a pretty good job at making me feel old, and I'm only 18. But what made me feel older was when I was working at an after school day care. The Topic of birthdays came up and it was revealed to me that all of them were born after the year 2000. 2000 Feels just like yesterday T.T

msimswil

Postby msimswil » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:40 am UTC

Me321 wrote:70's 80's 90's.....wait this decade is almost over and we dont have a name for it, how is this possible.

Naughties. As in, "I graduated in naughty-three." Or "Remember the oil wars of the naughties?"

Works for me.
It seems that on April 29th 2010 I was in bed... with your sister.

Me321

Postby Me321 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:06 am UTC

Some interesting facts,

The last wife of a U.S. Civil war Veteran died just a few years ago.
Spoiler:
.......I know what you are thinking and yes he was that old and she was that young, i think they got married in the 1920's

There is only one living U.S. WW1 Veteran
Spoiler:
I think he lied about his age, and he was born in about 1902?

shimo1989

Postby shimo1989 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:14 am UTC

9/11 happened when I was in grade 7. I didn't speak a word of English then, and when the teacher brought me and the rest of the class into a big room with a TV at the front, I thought it was a movie, but I couldn't figure out why the entire grade was there watching the TV. Only later did I find out what had happened.

danielfede

Postby danielfede » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:56 am UTC

Kinda late to post, but im a bit amazed that nobody brought up the atari 2600, mine still works, and i play it once in a while. It's like flash games now, play a bit and come back later, haha.

What makes mee feel old is games... i remember playing smash bros when it just came out, and its been over 10 years now! same with Grim fandango.

Im 19, and i know i was born after the atari, and the NES, but they'll always be a part of me, i still play asteroids once in a while.

Any one remember how AWESOME medal of honor Allied assult graphics were?... yeah... until i bought my VGA and played assassins creed, or call of duty 5, kinda makes me sad i bought it (i was really happy playing old games the way the looked), now i look at the old games and they seem ugly (still great games) but ugly.

Just random thought anyways.

SW15243

Postby SW15243 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:50 am UTC

I am 18 years old, and here are some scary facts related to my age:

The first President Bush was halfway through his term when I was born

The Sega Genesis is older than I am

I was 10 when 9/11 happened

-- Facts about my Birth Year --

Ten days before I was born, Rodney King was beaten by Los Angeles police officers

The day I was born, the Exxon Valdez dispute was settled

About 2 weeks after I was born, Comedy Central began airing

The year I was born, Boris Yeltsin was elected, and the Warsaw Pact was dissolved

Freddy Mercury announced that he had AIDS

Nirvana's 'Nevermind' was released

For the metalheads like myself, that whole Mayhem thing started less than a month after I was born

-----

I'll think of some more stuff to scare the crap out of you guys later

steve296

Postby steve296 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:38 am UTC

Hi folks.

I have only one issue with this particular comic. I don't get it.

P.S.: I'm 17 years old.

SW15243

Postby SW15243 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:44 am UTC

steve296 wrote:Hi folks.

I have only one issue with this particular comic. I don't get it.

P.S.: I'm 17 years old.

The joke is in the fact that it makes him feel old. 9/11 was 8 years ago, now. So children who were born after 9/11 are now old enough to discuss the issue.
It's the equivalent of the Berlin Wall for people our age

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”