0648: "Fall Foliage"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Carteeg_Struve

Re: "Fall Foliage" Discussion

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:06 pm UTC

Here it was cold most of the summer, then it got damp and wet for several weeks in September. This was just enough to convince most people to take their ACs out of their windows.

Then, as typical, it got real hot for a few days just to torture those people whose AC units were now in their attics/basements before getting dang cold again.

Got to love New England.

(I used to not believe in global warming... now I'm in favor of it.)
Last edited by Carteeg_Struve on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

stib

Postby stib » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

Simon17 wrote:
eviloatmeal wrote:Title text: "Dude, why would you pay six thousand dollars for a piece of software that won't even install natively on your Linux box and is easily replaced by the GIMP?"

Good old GIMP.
"Kind of like Photoshop 5"

Gimp? Why would you want to bother with gimp when you could do it with imagemagick?

Code: Select all

convert -modulate 100,100,200 ~/summercolors.jpeg ~/autumncolours.jpg

Or you could do a whole summer's worth in one go:

Code: Select all

cd ~/summerpix
for file in * ; do
convert -modulate 100,100,200 "$file" "${file//summer/autumn}";
done

-stib

opal

Postby opal » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

True story:
at this moment im attending this 4 week photoshop training, while beeing in the last and so called project week the task beeing: find one picture of nature on the net, and transform it to 4 of the 4 seasons, i happend to work on my harvest picture, whitch has been a spring picture before, got bored, because here in germany its 3 pm and class finishes 4 pm so i thought it the ideal time to check xkcd...
DO i have to say the "get out of" sentence, OR do i just look suspiciussly around, searching for the webcam my friends installed in order to freak me out, allthough i think they woudnlt be abble to fake a xkcd-comic this well ?!?
PS:the really sad and creppy thing about it beeing, that even the alt text fits.....

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

The leaves changed color and fell from the trees way too quickly up here, but they were nonetheless very beautiful.

*sigh*
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:31 pm UTC

title text FTW.

In Michigan you can drive north around this time (if you live in the south like most) and the leaves feel like they are changing as you go. There is a special time of year for the trip and the band of trees change... like a time warp of sorts... at 65 mph.

I can only assume Windsor has the same effect.

obligatory (full) colorblind version.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:32 pm UTC

I took my toddler to playgroup this morning where we made pictures with glue and fallen leaves. So I found this comic kind of gentle and wistful and tolerant.

Didja know that native British trees don't make exciting colours? All the "wowzers that's vivid" leaves are from imported trees.

I used to have a life, honest. It involved alcohol and live music and everything.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

NorthLondon

Postby NorthLondon » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:53 pm UTC

Makes me think of Keats' ode "To Autumn: "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness..."

And then thinking of that Keats poem makes me want an exceedingly good cake.

kerfuffleninja

Postby kerfuffleninja » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:06 pm UTC

I feel like we should turn this into some kind of meetup...

musashi1600

Postby musashi1600 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

Quick and simplistic example of Photoshop being applied in such a way:

For what it's worth, if the above scene ever looked like that in real life, I'd probably have some big problem(s) to worry about.
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

Giannist

Postby Giannist » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

Screw fall, it's snowing
"All Hail the God of Entropy!"

rollo

Postby rollo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:51 pm UTC

Heh, I live in Vermont, looking at the currently fading red, yellows, and oranges. Very pretty, always enjoyable (especially from the air if you get the chance to fly in a small airplane or glider). The funny thing is this comic does not point out that their car is probably stopped on the road holding up about 50 other people trying to get somewhere. The traffic on route 100 is similar to New York City in rush hour without traffic lights, especially in front of Ben and Jerry's. I wonder, does the entire population of southern New England flock to Vermont during Columbus day weekend? If I were to go to Connecticut, would anyone actually be there? That would be kinda cool, and creepy.

Also, why is it that cars with Connecticut and Massachusetts plates cannot drive? But on a good note we need the tourism, keeps the state alive. Its amazing how far people will go to see and take pictures of a chemical reaction that annually occurs as part of a biological process.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

JESUS FUCK Depressing alt. text much, Munroe?

Actually, I wonder about this. People have a tendency to be attracted to someone who seems cheerful and upbeat and motivated etc. But these things are frequently seasonal, or even happen every couple of years. You get together with someone who seems happy to you, and then when they stop seeming happy you think it's the relationship, and then finally end things. Humbug! I say. And GOOD DAY, SIR! People got moods and waves. If you love them, that's part of the deal.

kerfuffleninja wrote:I feel like we should turn this into some kind of meetup...
Fall foliage meet up! I'm for it!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Halrandir

Postby Halrandir » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

rollo wrote:The funny thing is this comic does not point out that their car is probably stopped on the road holding up about 50 other people trying to get somewhere. The traffic on route 100 is similar to New York City in rush hour without traffic lights, especially in front of Ben and Jerry's. I wonder, does the entire population of southern New England flock to Vermont during Columbus day weekend?

Because you've got peak foliage this weekend. Over here in New Hampshire, everything is hitting peak from about the White Mountains up north, but the altitude is so high in those areas only the bottom 1/3rd to 2/3rds of the mountains have deciduous trees. Once the Lakes Region here hits peak in another week or two, we'll get all the rest of the country swarming up here as usual. :) As far as traffic goes, I don't know about you guys but up in the mountains here the road is widened to have about a 10-20' wider breakdown lane than usual pretty much anywhere along the road that has a good view especially for this time of year.

Just for reference, for those people who have never seen New England foliage, this is from about 10 days before peak times around Mt. Washington (by now all the last bits of green should be gone).
Foliage.JPG
Foliage.JPG (634.96 KiB) Viewed 4901 times

I'd really like to see someone use the hue slider and get that. :D

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

This comic reminded me of the episode of Family Guy where leafers show up in Quahog.
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:52 pm UTC

Carteeg_Struve wrote:Got to love New England.

(I used to not believe in global warming... now I'm in favor of it.)

Here in a western suburb of Boston, eating lunch at the dining-room table, I can look out the window and see the neighbors across the stree. Behind their house are two large maples, one with a few green leaves among the mass of bright orange-red, the other completely reddish-maroon. Meanwhile, our large sugar maple is barely starting to turn to its usual brilliant yellow with a few red twinges. (The poison ivy, which grows everywhere and climbs into the trees, has been a bright red for several weeks now. ;-))

In northern New England, there have been a lot of jokes about how most of the people have heard of global warming, and think it's a fine idea. Yeah, it'll probably flood out most of Boston and New York; that's another of the benefits to look forward to.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

previsualconsent wrote:
abzman2000 wrote:am I just extra paranoid, or do the really dark spots in the trees seem to make letters, and words. I see 2 words, one above the other, but I can't make out what they say. this is gonna drive me nuts...

i see it too. can't make it out.

That's probably because you're looking for Latin chars. My wife, who reads Arabic, like to say that it's the perfect alphabet for finding messages in nature. I showed her the comic, and she immediately spotted several Arabic words. Of course, they didn't make any sense. Our theory is that Nature is either a surrealistic, dadaist poet, or a blithering idiot, at least when She's writing in Arabic.

I can read a little Chinese, and that writing isn't as good as Arabic for finding recognizable text in natural scenes, but it's a lot better than the Latin alphabet. My reaction to the trees what that I saw fragments of Chinese characters, but not enough to really pin down. There is what seems to be a 讬 (tuo1, entrust) or maybe 讦 (jie2, pry into others' secrets) char center left, which makes no sense without more context. I thought I saw a 米 (mi3, rice) char out of the corner of my eye, but when I look directly at it, it disappears. Anyway, why would the trees be saying "rice" to me? Surely they don't want us to cut them down and replace them with rice terraces. That looks like a northern New-England scene, and rice just wouldn't work as a crop around there.

I wonder what other alphabets Nature could use to communicate with us? There oughta be some comedy possibilities in this.

Now let's see if xkcd can handle messages with non-8859-1 chars ...

Rory

Postby Rory » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

When I first saw the colors of the trees, before reading the text, I thought they were on fire. (I come from a country with neither brown-leaved trees nor snow.) I suppose the guy's text could also be "Instead of driving all this way, we could've just set the trees on fire back in the summer".

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:31 pm UTC

That girl should dump him, because that guy is our classic asshole. Especially since he spent hundreds of dollars on software for editing pictures when he could just TAKE BETTER PICTURES GODDAMMIT
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

motex

Postby motex » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

I have to say that there is no image editing program, photoshop gimp or whatever, that could replicate how gorgeous my house looked this morning. I came home from college late last night and this morning woke up to a beautiful new england day.. in photoshop someone would miss how the grass and the oak trees are still green and healthy even though the maples, birches, and pine needles have all changed color and fallen. Yay!

The alt text reminds me irresistibly of something written by Joey Comeau.
If I could feel, I would feel love.
If I could touch, I would touch God
If I could see, I would see truth
And if I could kill, you
would
be
first.

ishkabibble

Postby ishkabibble » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

Giannist wrote:Screw fall, it's snowing

The trees have just started to turn colors here (ie they still have all of their leaves) and it snowed a good two inches over the weekend. All of the trees were covered in snow and the leaves would occasionally dip under the weight of the small drifts, sending small clouds of snow down to the ground. Long after the sky stopped snowing, you could stand under the trees and get this light, Disney-esque snowfall. It was beautiful way to experience winter, especially since I'll be bitching and cursing it in a few weeks when I'm clearing my windshield and prying open frozen car doors.

jadyn

Postby jadyn » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

rho421 wrote:You know, there's some ambiguity present as to whether the man or the woman is the one saying the title-text...

I'm not sure why, but everytime I read the ALT text I feel like Randall is saying it to us individually, as himself. ALT texts were meant for the page creator to communicate with the page reader when the means of images aren't sufficient.

Kinda follows then that ALT text = Randall's candid words to the reader.

Sprocket wrote:JESUS FUCK Depressing alt. text much, Munroe?

Stole the words straight out of my stomach!

Sprocket wrote:People have a tendency to be attracted to someone who seems cheerful and upbeat and motivated etc. But these things are frequently seasonal, or even happen every couple of years. You get together with someone who seems happy to you, and then when they stop seeming happy you think it's the relationship, and then finally end things.

I agree that ending a relationship from such a standpoint seems unfair, but at the same time, pursuing one in the first place out of an attraction for someone's positive aura seems much healthier than going at it out of (1) pure physical attraction and/or (2) like-minded destructive depression.

daemonbarber

Postby daemonbarber » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

There's a message in those trees - I just can't figure it out!

OCEAT

Postby OCEAT » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

I sort of see the words in the trees...
DLC/TMP?
RGL/HAMMER?
NU/HUWH?

Maybe we should look at it in a mirror.
GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Say "ocean".
Look at my name.
Tee-hee.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

You could always take infrared pictures if you want red trees.
Spoiler:

If anyone wants to try to decipher words, here's something for you.
Spoiler:
xkcd fall foliage high contrast.jpg
xkcd fall foliage high contrast.jpg (149.32 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

Since we've had a colorblind version, I've supplied a version for Oblivion players.

fall_foliage.png
fall_foliage.png (245.88 KiB) Viewed 4854 times
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Since we've had a colorblind version, I've supplied a version for Oblivion players.

fall_foliage.png

Dear god, I feel like I'm staring at a florescent light.

In other news, instead of buying photoshop, he should have bought himself/her a nice DSLR to take awesome pictures. Photoshop is really only good for removing pimples on my face.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

willyouwontyou

Postby willyouwontyou » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

xkcd comic + a softer world alt text = win

Ridcully

Postby Ridcully » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

Alas! Where I live, the cold has come, but not the pretty leaves; a bunch went overnight from green to brown. Looks like the leaves are going to go all Captain Kirk, and die pathetically.

Dude, why would you pay six thousand dollars for a piece of software that won't even install natively on your Linux box and is easily replaced by the GIMP

It's in my torrent line right now :D oh how evil.
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...
Terry Pratchett

musashi1600

Postby musashi1600 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

rubber314chicken wrote:In other news, instead of buying photoshop, he should have bought himself/her a nice DSLR to take awesome pictures. Photoshop is really only good for removing pimples on my face.

With the right knowledge, a DSLR combined with Photoshop for post-processing work can be an amazing tool. In lieu of Photoshop and the ability to use it, Lightroom is ridiculously easy to learn, and can produce results most people would be happy with.
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

Sarda

Postby Sarda » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:15 am UTC

Editer wrote:
Username4242 wrote:It went straight from summer to winter where I live--trees were green one day, then completely dead in below freezing temperatures the next.

"winter changed into spring, spring changed into summer, summer changed back into winter, and winter gave spring and summer a miss and went straight on into autumn"
If P AND NOT P then the lotto numbers will be 4, 19, 23, 194, the fine structure constant, and Birmingham.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:29 am UTC

nbonaparte wrote:If anyone wants to try to decipher words, here's something for you.
Spoiler:

I couldn't make out anything before, but with that I'm definitely seeing "EPIC" as the first word, but can't make out what's below it.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:28 am UTC

Cloud Walker wrote:I couldn't make out anything before, but with that I'm definitely seeing "EPIC" as the first word, but can't make out what's below it.
Really? All I can see is something resembling one of those busy Renaissance murals.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

HighSpeedFallingObjects

Postby HighSpeedFallingObjects » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:55 am UTC

Wow, I love the alt-text.

(And shuddup, it is alt-text, not title text. :) )

Sudo-Fu

Postby Sudo-Fu » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:19 am UTC

Cloud Walker wrote:
nbonaparte wrote:If anyone wants to try to decipher words, here's something for you.
Spoiler:

I couldn't make out anything before, but with that I'm definitely seeing "EPIC" as the first word, but can't make out what's below it.

I'm seeing "EPIC HAX"... maybe just because I feel like that's something Randall would put in a comic.

On a side note: dear god, these colors are beautiful. We need more colored comics - I'd be happy if they only updated once a week. Quality over quantity, anyday.
Wait..... what??

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:57 am UTC

Editer wrote:
Username4242 wrote:It went straight from summer to winter where I live--trees were green one day, then completely dead in below freezing temperatures the next.

"Winter changed into spring. Spring changed into summer. Summer changed back into winter."

..and winter gave spring and summer a miss and went straight on into autumn.
*high five*

msimswil

Postby msimswil » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:05 am UTC

musashi1600 wrote:Quick and simplistic example of Photoshop being applied in such a way:
Spoiler:
For what it's worth, if the above scene ever looked like that in real life, I'd probably have some big problem(s) to worry about.

Looks similar to how I imagine the post-Apocalyptic world of The Amtrak Wars :D

Ooh! Ooh! I can do links now! :P Autumn leaves in Nikko, Japan (and I had to jump through some hoops to give you a Japanese google image search; sudo be grateful)
It seems that on April 29th 2010 I was in bed... with your sister.

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:42 am UTC

Having grown up in New England, I never thought much of the leaves changing. It was just something they did. Then I went out in the world and apparently it's a big deal to other folk. So much so that while I was browsing a top 100 natural wonders list earlier, the leaves of New England sat at 16, sandwiched between Iguaçu Falls at 17 and Yellowstone National Park at 15.

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:24 am UTC

jadyn wrote:I'm not sure why, but everytime I read the ALT text I feel like Randall is saying it to us individually, as himself. ALT texts were meant for the page creator to communicate with the page reader when the means of images aren't sufficient.

Kinda follows then that ALT text = Randall's candid words to the reader.

I think the TITLE text comes as an afterthought, a chance for a second punch line. It sometimes sound like the author, sometimes like a character. I liked this TITLE text. This TITLE text sounded sort of poetic. Even though it is indeed a very depressing TITLE text.
Chaos Reigns!

Spectrum

Postby Spectrum » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:13 pm UTC

An optical engineer I know says: "Argh.... Everyone knows that you should subtract some reasonable multiple of the chlorophyll spectrum, rather than simply shifting the hue!"

Jenaroo

Postby Jenaroo » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

It's a shame I live in Texas. During the Fall season we get rain, car accidents, and mutant crickets.

How is Maine during this time of year?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”