0255: "Subjectivity"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

0255: "Subjectivity"

Postby Peshmerga » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:05 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/c255.html

"Or maybe the slide is like Aslan, and gets taller as I do (except without the feeling of discomfort when I reach my teens and suddenly get the Christ stuff.)"

I broke my collar bone falling off one of those things. Fucking slides...
i hurd u liek mudkips???

demeteloaf

Postby demeteloaf » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:07 am UTC

Posting the thread before the broken link to the comic is fixed shows dedication!

Kin

Postby Kin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:08 am UTC

Ahh. Yes. Perhaps though...It is not broken? All I see is "Subjectivity"

It is an Internal reality not to be influenced by images...

Or maybe a image forgotten to be posted...

Velociraptor4life

Postby Velociraptor4life » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:13 am UTC

I kept refreshing, thinking my internet was broken.

I'm still thinking about this...
But the caption makes me giggle.
Silly Narnia.
John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.

Scigatt

Postby Scigatt » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:14 am UTC

I saw the comic...

haha!

mattmacf

Postby mattmacf » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:15 am UTC

Working link...
(EDIT: The OP's link works now. Disregard this post)
Last edited by mattmacf on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:15 am UTC

I only see the word Subjectivity where the image should be...if thats the comic today, I don't get it. Is it a FireFox issue?

(p.s. if you don't see me for a while, it's because my computer has a really nasty worm that activates when the system is turned off and then back on [restarting is okay]).

EDIT: A slide that grows with you? That sounds nice. Makes me wonder what it is made of...

I didn't get the Narnia reference though.
Last edited by The LuigiManiac on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Velociraptor4life

Postby Velociraptor4life » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:17 am UTC

Way to go.
It was broken.

Now that makes me giggle a lot.
I wish the things I went back to were still huge.

I visited my old elementary school a few weeks ago.
I'm a sophomore in High school, and it had been at least four years since I had visited the place.
Even the sinks seemed tiny.

It makes me want to go back to being a little kid.
Everything was big then.
John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.

MHZmaster

Postby MHZmaster » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:18 am UTC

I saw that the image was missing and assumed it was intended. Then I proceeded to check the page source to find how Mr. Munroe got the alt text to work while hovering over text. And why I couldn't highlight "subjectivity". I even tried checking the image url, which, of course, gave a 404 error. I then decided I was too lazy to check the css and find what class "s" did.

...sigh. The things I do for this stupid webcomic....

It always shocks me when I visit my relatives and find that I am taller than (almost) all of them. Everywhere else, I'm just a shrimp. Fucking genetics.
Last edited by MHZmaster on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

chan the evoker

Postby chan the evoker » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:18 am UTC

Shift+R should get the image loaded. I think it clears the cache.

rhalleys5th

Postby rhalleys5th » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:23 am UTC

Man, I liked the Chronicles of Narnia a lot better before I realized it was a bunch of Christian allegory.

Shale

Postby Shale » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:33 am UTC

Up to a point, yeah. But not getting the allegory just made The Last Battle really freakin' weird. Not that Revelations isn't weird, but at least when you get that you know what's going on. Poor little atheist second-grader me just saw a bunch of his favorite characters die for no reason.

UserGoogol

Postby UserGoogol » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:36 am UTC

I only had a vague awaremess of the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe growing up (and no interaction at all with the other books), but when I saw the movie last year, I was about halfway into the movie and thought to myself, "The Christian allegories aren't as bad as people said." But then almost immediately after I thought that, Aslan died for Edmund's sins.

Kin

Postby Kin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:40 am UTC

MHZmaster wrote:[...]this stupid webcomic....

WE must kill all spies. The red spiders must not win!

MHZ, we will speak again shortly....At your funeral...
[?]

~Right, on topic~

-This, in fact, happened just today to me!! Went to a park from my 'younger days'. However, more interesting, was the shocking backwards effect from highschool-middle school. My middle school (Age 9~13) was in fact much LARGER then my high school (Age 14~18) as a result of the former being new with very large architectural design and the latter being 50 years old and built on a more reasonable budget. Disorientating to enter hallways so large...and brightly colored..and evil, because, of course, middle school was evil oppression, moreso even then highschool.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:48 am UTC

When I was a kid, in the park near my Grandmother's place there was one of these huge slides... it was quite fun.

Recently, when I was visiting my Grandmother again, I went to go have another look at this slide I loved as a kid...

And it had been removed, along with this (also fun) metal climbing frame thing, and it had all been replaced with this plastic moulded playset monstrosity.

Stupid councils.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

MHZmaster

Postby MHZmaster » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:59 am UTC

Kin wrote:
MHZmaster wrote:[...]this stupid webcomic....

WE must kill all spies. The red spiders must not win!

MHZ, we will speak again shortly....At your funeral...
[?]

I kid! I KID!
Were I not in love with xkcd (platonic love, you pervert!), do you think I would have gone to all that trouble in my quest to solve the mystery of the missing comic?

The webcomic is not stupid. Merely THE BEST THING THAT'S EVER HAPPENED TO ME. Maybe someday you can forgive me? Before my funeral?

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:40 am UTC

The playground of my elementary school has gotten so much cooler since I left.
I mean that in the completely literal sense. Everything is now covered in plastic and in the shade.
That may not seem like a big deal, but our summer temperatures get to over 120'F. So until mid to late october, and from late April or early May, reccess was well into the 90's if not 100's. There's also a bunch of new stuff.
no fair.

Trella

Postby Trella » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:47 am UTC

My elementary school playground was the coolest thing ever. It had several wooden structures shaped like different features (castle, pirate ship, etc) and about 15 different slides, not to mention several sets of monkey bars and other gymnastic-type equipment. I went back there a few years back and it was this grotesque purple and green plastic monstrosity. I was so sad :(

MathBluster

Postby MathBluster » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:48 am UTC

I remember a park I sued to go to as a kid (Milford, PA, if that rings a bell with anyone) that had a phenomenal metal merry-go-round. That thing was beautiful. It was heavy, and metal, and smooth-riding, and amazingly dangerous, especially at high speeds.

Actually, as far as I know, it's still there. A couple or three years ago I checked it out. It had a new coat of paint. Maybe the people in charge of the park knew how fun it was and left it there. It was the only non-plastic thing in the playground.
~MathBluster

Trella

Postby Trella » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:58 am UTC

MathBluster wrote:I remember a park I sued to go to as a kid (Milford, PA, if that rings a bell with anyone) that had a phenomenal metal merry-go-round. That thing was beautiful. It was heavy, and metal, and smooth-riding, and amazingly dangerous, especially at high speeds.

Actually, as far as I know, it's still there. A couple or three years ago I checked it out. It had a new coat of paint. Maybe the people in charge of the park knew how fun it was and left it there. It was the only non-plastic thing in the playground.

Not to get off-topic but the Milford in Somerset or Pike County?

To keep my post somewhat on-topic...it makes me sad how many of the most fun old structures have been removed because of "safety" concerns and fear that some kid will randomly injure himself and those running the playground will get sued. Some of my fondest memories on playgrounds were on structures that probably wouldn't pass inspection today.

Joshua

Postby Joshua » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:00 am UTC

All I can remember (and I think most of you are with me on this) of my elementary school playground is *that* slide.

Y'know, the big metal one that burned you if you touched it too long (at all)..

Oh.. and I guess there was that other slide composed of a bunch of spinning rods, on which you were more likely than not to break your fingers.
Good times.
good times

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:16 am UTC

Joshua wrote:All I can remember (and I think most of you are with me on this) of my elementary school playground is *that* slide.

Y'know, the big metal one that burned you if you touched it too long (at all)..

Doesn't every elementary school have one of those? They were so common that I'm sure at one point it was a law. Also, although I cut off the second half of the post, I also remember those as good times. Especially when we got to go the big park at the other side of the hill for every third lunch recess. The big park didn't have a hot metal slide though.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

aether

Postby aether » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:28 am UTC

Nowadays playgrounds are made entirely out of bright red, yellow, and blue plastic, as if they're trying to be a new and exciting descendant of the traditional splintered wood and hot metal we all grew up with, but try not to be disappointed when we just look at them and sigh, mourning for the swingsets of our lost youth.

Kin

Postby Kin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:41 am UTC

In respect to your seemingly redemption worthy response [Mhz]....

I hesitantly agree...Perhaps...You do not enjoy espionage.

Merely as a precautionary step, though, It would be wise of Mr.Munroe to issue care bear stare therapy combined with kitty dosage.

All will succumb....

You may be....You may be...Forgiven. Tread lightly kind soul...My life I hope to guard viciously.

joeneedstogrowup

Postby joeneedstogrowup » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:52 am UTC

when i was growing up, there was this ENORMOUS tree next to the playground in my neighborhood, which i fondly remember not being able to run around in less than 4 mississippis. we moved away when i was 7.

6 years later, we drove through the neighborhood to see what had changed. all the housing units had been torn down and rebuilt and the playground had been replaced by an ugly plastic pile. but that enormous oak was still there, and still ridiculously large! you go, fat oak tree!
Lotta sad Joes out there. Stalin killed people to ease his mind, Smith married a buncha girls, and Comeau draws a webcomic.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:13 am UTC

For some reason I still see the people on TV as being as tall, or really close to my height even though often they're like 5 foot when I'm 6 foot. Maybe it's just because if they're the same size as me/a little bit taller then the chicks are hotter or something, or maybe it's the camera.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

MathBluster

Postby MathBluster » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:31 am UTC

Trella wrote:
MathBluster wrote:I remember a park I sued to go to as a kid (Milford, PA, if that rings a bell with anyone) that had a phenomenal metal merry-go-round. That thing was beautiful. It was heavy, and metal, and smooth-riding, and amazingly dangerous, especially at high speeds.

Not to get off-topic but the Milford in Somerset or Pike County?

Pike.
~MathBluster

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:38 am UTC

Obviously, the slide is Jesus.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

bashed_monkey

Postby bashed_monkey » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:10 am UTC

when i'm confronted with things from my elementary school past, they usualy turn out to be not that awesome as i remembered them. but i guess that's me growing up.
we had no such big slide back in those days, just some crappy little wooden houses. so we mostly played hide and seek. now, that's something that will always be awesome to me.
ia, ia, yog sothoth! yog sothoth! yog sothoth!

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:28 pm UTC

Best. Alt-text. Ever.

I used to love the Chronicles of Narnia. Now the only ones I can read without twitching a little are "Prince Caspian" and "Voyage of the Dawn Treader"--and the latter is still a bit sketch.

Also, concerning playgrounds: where have all the see-saws gone? Where?
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:33 pm UTC

@Narnia: My parents and maybe some of my teachers recommended the Narnia books to me when I was young (they weren't trying to convert me or anything, they just though it was good fantasy for little people). I read the first one and maybe half of the second one and I just didn't like them. They were boring and kind of off in a way I didn't understand.

Now that I'm older and I understand the whole deal it feels good to have a logical reason to dislike C.S. Lewis and not just a intuitive reason.
~= scwizard =~

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:35 pm UTC

Ren wrote:Also, concerning playgrounds: where have all the see-saws gone? Where?

In New York City they're banned for liability reasons. Lawyers are ruining America.

Some parks still have see-saws and go-rounds though. I just wish they were anywhere nearby.
~= scwizard =~

Iluvatar

Postby Iluvatar » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:50 pm UTC

Excellent comic. It's got discussion foder, and a great joke. When I first read it, it wasn't that great, until I read the alt-text, and I rofl'ed (seriously; I fell out my chair onto the floor laughing - people stared; luckily this is the software engineering area, so it's not too uncommon to see people rofl and find an XKCD on their screen).

As for playgrounds, I used to know a playground saleswoman. She sold the plastic boxes. They weren't really boxes, they were the standard primary-colored modern playgrounds, but they present a sort of "don't play outside the box" mentality. It fun when she babysat my friends and I, since she took us 'playgrounding'; she would take us to various playgrounds throughout the county to try out; some new, some old. I sorta suspected she was mostly product-testing at the time.

I really miss the old wooden playgrounds. I don't know how common they were outside of my area, but they were awesome; these huge mazes of barely climbable turrets and tunnels...
http://www.sptimes.com/News/032801/phot ... rsenic.jpg
http://www.edinboro.net/Graphics/Billin ... ground.jpg
http://www.nnparks.com/images/parks_hunt1.jpg

But they tore most of the ones I knew of down. :(
"Don't you see?!"

"Get out of my bed, Randall, I'm trying to sleep!"

Your results may vary.

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:55 pm UTC

Xkcd.com is sure one to capitalize on reminiscing and relating, huh? ;D

airtank

Postby airtank » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:10 pm UTC

Patashu wrote:Xkcd.com is sure one to capitalize on reminiscing and relating, huh? ;D

That's for damn sure. This baby was on my myspace for a very, very long time.

nnydarko

Asian

Postby nnydarko » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:13 pm UTC

At first, I totally misread the alt-text as "Or maybe the slide is like ASIAN, and gets taller as I do..." and I couldn't figure out what the heck an asian had to do with it.

But to stay slightly more on-topic with the playground equipment thing. The school that I went to in first grade had this awesome 4-tier wooden monstrosity, that had one of those metal slides that could sit 2 people wide. If you had seen this thing it's amazing, splintered beyond reason, giant rusted bolts, so basically cool beyond reason. The school didn't remove it for safety reasons, they only removed it because parents kept complaining that the boys would go below and look up the girls skirts. They removed it before I could come back and see if it was really as big as I remember it. :cry:

/edit first post woot woot

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:46 pm UTC

Welcome to the forums here, then! We would love you you to pop into the Intro thread in General and tell us a little about yourself? Particularly why there's no Do-- in your name, I am curious. :D

EDIT: I have had four cups of very sweet tea in very quick succession! Can anyone tell? Huh? :P

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:54 pm UTC

except without the feeling of discomfort when I reach my teens and suddenly get the Christ stuff

Randal is religious? Wha?
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:57 pm UTC

No. But the Chronicles of Narnia are.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:16 pm UTC

OOoooooh.
My brain didn't connect those two...
On topic, there was a huge slide, it twists and turns down a slope, and it is still huge. Tho I am almost too wide for it these days :(
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”