0662: "iPhone or Droid"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Droid, iPhone, etc?

Droid
35%
iPhone
17%
Other G3
12%
Non-smartphone
31%
I call people on my Otter/duck/zune
6%

Total votes: 199

ttremblay

Re: "iPhone or Droid" Discussion

Postby ttremblay » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:15 pm UTC

I <3 Palm Pre and webOS.

For me, I feel naked without the gestures and the way it multi-tasks with cards. It's just so...easy and intuitive.

Everytime I touch an android device I think, "this is ugly, and how the heck do I navigate"

I do like the iPhone experience but ATT is super $$$$. I pay like $60 /mo with Sprint Unlimited GPS/DATA/Text/Calls. (Corp Discount).

mcv

Re: iPhone or Droid Discussion

Postby mcv » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:24 pm UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:Those are times when I don't really need internet access. If I'm browsing in a store, I'm...browsing in a store.

When I'm browsing in a store, I'm looking up reviews for the products I'm looking at (books, usually). It makes me a more informed customer, and I like that.

DeadCatX2

Postby DeadCatX2 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

I have a Droid. I love it. It is what I call a "convergence device" - a combination of devices that accidentally makes phone calls. And it is awesome.

I thought I would hate the data plan, but it turns out to be not so bad. If I'm out and about and decide that I want some donuts, I can search google maps for any donut places in my immediate vicinity. If I'm somewhere without Wifi and someone asks me a question that requires a google search, I have no problem.

Ubiquitous Internet has changed my life, and this is only day six.

Christo

Postby Christo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

Am I missing something? This whole conversation seems ironic. I mean aren't we engaging in the "pale facsimile of fulfillment" that the comic warns us about? :cry:
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

UltramaticOrange

Postby UltramaticOrange » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:32 pm UTC

What? Droid? Really? I know Endaget and other sites have been giving it a lot of hype, but I thought the underclocked processor would speak for itslef, especially when there's choices like the HTC Hero (super slick) and the Samsung Moment (can we say 800Mhz processor?). I've been waiting for some moderate proliferation of Android phones and now that we're on the leading edge of it, I'm wondering, why in the hell is everyone drawn to what seems like such an unappealing phone?

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Christo wrote:Am I missing something? This whole conversation seems ironic. I mean aren't we engaging in the "pale facsimile of fulfillment" that the comic warns us about? :cry:

I've been the whole day wondering what the hell is supposed to be funny or amusing about that strip. But I think you just got what the joke is supposed to be.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

I never understood the appeal of a physical keyboard on cellthingies. I mean, on a laptop/netbook I understand, but when you're typing on chiclet-sized keys with your thumbs, is the tactile feedback really necessary or helpful? In my mind it just takes up more bulk or, in some cases, shrinks the available screen size. Plus, on-screen keyboards can be context-sensitive and change when you hit Shift or Alt, saving even more space.

But that and any other complaints I have with specific devices really just pissing in the wind because, personally, I can't stand the whole cell phone scene. I want cellular carriers to work like my Internet at home: I can get any physical device I want and then sign up with any carrier I want, in two separate processes; I'm not tied into some bullshit multi-year contract; and if/when I decide my current carrier blows chunks and decide to switch, I don't have to pitch the device into the trash and buy a brand new one because each one only works with one carrier. GODDAMMIT.

Needless to say, I don't expect that to ever happen.

gspencer wrote:So, what I want to know is on what grounds the "Restlessly Producing" app was rejected from the iPhone store...

Certainly it wasn't because it provided base functionality that the iPhone already has.

Well, naturally it was interfering with their ability to keep people in locked the endless cycle of consumption and disillusionment that drives their (and everyone else's) business. Hell, if such an app really existed, all the world's corporations would probably band together to get it made illegal on the grounds that it's "bad for the economy." And the government would gladly comply. </cynicism>

TheoGB wrote:Also I don't understand iTunes. It's horribly unintuitive. With WinAmp I just type a search phrase into the box and I get a list of artists in one pane and a list of tracks from those artists in the other, either of which might meet my search criteria. Then I double click what I want to play.

Wait, iTunes has a Search box too... not to mention the whole interface is just a list of all your tracks sorted by artist. You must have a much bigger library than I do. Granted, I eventually switched to Winamp too because there seems to be no way, in iTunes, to make it not jump to the next track when it's done playing, but its interface seems like the very definition of "unintuitive." For instance, for years I thought it had poor sound quality, but someone online mentioned that you can enable "non-shitty sound quality mode" by clicking a checkbox called "Enable 24 bit mode." Yes, because everybody knows what that means! :roll:

Actually maybe you can help me. Whenever I try to use Winamp's Media Library to select a song, it dumps the entire library into my playlist at once. For years I figured it was a bug, because who the hell would ever want it to do that, but they never did patch it so maybe it's just a "feature" that can be disabled with a checkbox labeled "Disable multi-processing mesmerglobber" or something?
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Christo

Postby Christo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I've been the whole day wondering what the hell is supposed to be funny or amusing about that strip. But I think you just got what the joke is supposed to be.

The joke is that the audience doesn't understand? That makes XKCD on the level of Bill Hicks and Jesus.
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

sorceror

Postby sorceror » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:09 pm UTC

Christo wrote:Am I missing something? This whole conversation seems ironic. I mean aren't we engaging in the "pale facsimile of fulfillment" that the comic warns us about? :cry:

Only if you assume that everyone here actually thinks they'll get happiness out of a smartphone.

Alternatively, it's dimly possible that people are engaging in minimaxing and trying to figure out what device best meets their technical - not emotional - needs. I enjoy nice technology, and I'm not above lusting after features, but I try to maintain perspective. Hence, y'know, how I'm still using a Treo 650 a year and a half after I was eligible for an upgrade, and I specifically said in this very thread that I'm hoping to go six more months with it.

sorceror

Postby sorceror » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:I never understood the appeal of a physical keyboard on cellthingies. I mean, on a laptop/netbook I understand, but when you're typing on chiclet-sized keys with your thumbs, is the tactile feedback really necessary or helpful?

Yes.

vviipp

Postby vviipp » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:25 pm UTC

Plamo wrote:I'm a fan of the Droid. I have a crappy samsung phone, though. Canada sucks for the whole cell business.

True that. The iPhone wasn't available in Canada (like the Kindle or Hulu) until Ted Rogers hooked it up, and it's still a rip off.
What we did was buy an LG touchscreen in Hong Kong. And no one's the wiser.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

I hate phones. Plan and simple.

I do own an iPod Touch (or iTouch as it's come to be known). This has all most of the advantages of the iPhone at a fraction of the cost of ownership. I have the abridged Wikipedia, tons of games, and Katamari. And more games. In fact I often forget it has music on it. Did I mention the games yet?

So I get to "have an app for that" and I don't have to own a phone.

Who want's a phone? That's what IRC is for.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:40 pm UTC

irishnut wrote:p.s. saw this the other day, law number one, thats right http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/11/10-geeky-laws-that-should-exist-but-dont/

That list wins the Internet.

Anyway, the phones. My friend, a total asshole Apple fanboy, has an iPhone, and I got a brief test of it using its little note-writer program. I found the on-screen keyboard downright infuriating. I saw the ads for Droid, and it looks pretty good, but I'm not sure yet. Most of this thread so far is reinforcing my urge to get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Droid

Looks excellent. One question, though; how much does it cost?
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

leumaS

Postby leumaS » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

Nokia N900 > all.

aquilo

Postby aquilo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:24 pm UTC

If you are charismatic enough to get life fulfilment by being elected president or getting a girlfriend, I wish you all the best, but let the rest of us have our nerdy toys.

AaronD12

Postby AaronD12 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:38 pm UTC

Droid does have a 256MB application limit. iDon't.

r00tcause

Postby r00tcause » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:40 pm UTC

Mr. Smiles wrote:Couple interesting facts I'd like to point out.
1. The HTC Droid is a lot like the Motorola Droid, but without the keyboard and with Android 1.5 instead of 2.0. HTC has said they will update to 2.0 when they are done working on it for their phones. It's also cheaper.
2. There is a message at the bottom of Motorola's Droid page. "DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies. Used under license." So yes, it IS R2D2.

Well then I'd like to counter-point out that the HTC Droid Eris has an *Arm11* not an *ARM Cortex* so it loses automatically.

r00tcause

Re: iPhone or Droid

Postby r00tcause » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

Nintendon't wrote:Also, iPhone > Droid, mostly because the ease of leaving everything up to iTunes blows the amazingness out of Motorola.

Could you or someone else please explain what's so amazing about itunes? I hear this argument a lot, even from genuine editorials. I am an ex-iphone 3G owner. I hated itunes. Why can't I just drag my mp3 from my folder to my phone? How is itunes easier than this?

Further... say I am at a friends house and I have my iphone and he has an awesome song I wanna put on my device to listen to on the way home... how exactly would I accomplish this with an iphone? (Hint: I already know the answer).

r00tcause

Postby r00tcause » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

Samsung Moment (can we say 800Mhz processor?).

800mhz ARM11 !> 550mhz CortexA8

MHZ is not everything. The A8 is 2 to 3x faster at the same MHZ as the ARM11.

aquilo

Postby aquilo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

r00tcause wrote:
Nintendon't wrote:Also, iPhone > Droid, mostly because the ease of leaving everything up to iTunes blows the amazingness out of Motorola.

Could you or someone else please explain what's so amazing about itunes? I hear this argument a lot, even from genuine editorials. I am an ex-iphone 3G owner. I hated itunes. Why can't I just drag my mp3 from my folder to my phone? How is itunes easier than this?

Further... say I am at a friends house and I have my iphone and he has an awesome song I wanna put on my device to listen to on the way home... how exactly would I accomplish this with an iphone? (Hint: I already know the answer).

I like itunes (at least the mac version of it) and my ipod touch, but the inability to transfer songs from another computer to the ipod is its big failure. As for "leaving everything up to itunes", I do like how it keeps my podcasts constantly updated on my ipod and I like the feature called "genius" that searches for songs that go well together (both melodically and thematically, somehow). But really, these programs all have decent search functions, drag-and-drop organization, and smartlists. I think there are better things we could be debating.

Iridos

Postby Iridos » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:28 am UTC

mcv wrote:[...]It's not about having a phone with extra toys, it's about always having your computer in your pocket, and Nokia seems to be the first to get that. As far as I understand, though, the N900 is not given big marketing because it's part of a line that's still an experiment. The one after the N900 should apparently be something really big and conquer the planet or something. Accidentally they surpassed the competition ahead of schedule.

Actually, with 32GB of internal space + 16GB with the microSD card, I don't see the need for Maemo anymore - if their other devices using Maemo go towards similar specs, they would do better porting their apps to Debian and use plain Debian, with a repository overriding some packages(like probably xorg) and providing additional ones (like their proprietary mirob)... I think typical installs don't use much more than 10GB, so there'd be plenty of space left afterwards.

Cynical Idealist wrote:As for buses, that's what books are for.

Well, a couple of GB are able to store a *lot* of books... it's definitely more feasible than lugging a middle-sized library around...

I never liked mobiles at all (and don't have *any* phone right now), but having a whole little desktop computer with me has a certain appeal... guess what this really needs is a foldable bluetooth keyboard

Heh, that actually exists... I never knew.. something along the line of this:
http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/think ... 25478.html
doh, or even something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Keyboar ... ref=sr_1_6
Looks like that isn't really working well yet, but probably will be the way to go 20 years from today or so (if we're not using speech input by then.. but that hasn't proven so much better than typing... and also is less silent)

I.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:40 am UTC

mcv wrote:
jspenguin wrote:Android is nice (I currently have a G1), but Maemo is far more developer friendly, especially if you don't want to mess with Java.

I've heard from a G1 owner that the Android is an exceptionally nice development platform. Far better than the iPhone, but also with a toolset perfect for making good apps for smart phones. On linux, I can use any language I choose, but does that language come with all the easy-to-put-together phone UI stuff?

I researched both platforms before deciding on developing on the iPhone. I was completely unenthusiastic about even trying Android development. Especially since this was mostly for my own interest. And considering that I have hobbies that have cost me $1K+ in the past the $99 fee didn't phase me. I spend more on video games every year.

Probably the 2 biggest turn offs for a guy with limited time were:

- [Even now] The official way is to declare your UI in XML. http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/index.html I know there is a 3rd party tool. But at the time I looked at it, apparently it did not work with the production version of Android and who has the time to fix other peoples code? Nobody, that's who.

- Massive lack of documentation and examples. http://developer.android.com/guide/samples/index.html http://developer.android.com/reference/ ... descr.html In the iPhone docs, _EVERY_ object I have used has AT LEAST 1 completely functioning example that you can compile and run and look through the source code. They also provide an easy way to just look a particular files so you don't have to download all the examples to look at the code. All the examples are linked to from the dicumentation eg: http://developer.apple.com/iphone/libra ... rence.html

There are bad things about the iPhone SDK, but the Android tools are not "[far] better than the iPhone".

mcv

Postby mcv » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:42 am UTC

It's not pale. It has vibrant colours!

UltramaticOrange wrote:What? Droid? Really? I know Endaget and other sites have been giving it a lot of hype, but I thought the underclocked processor would speak for itslef, especially when there's choices like the HTC Hero (super slick) and the Samsung Moment (can we say 800Mhz processor?).

Surely you're aware that clock speed doesn't mean all that much? One processor at 600 MHz might be faster than another at 1000 MHz. Also, the Droid (or Milestone as it's called outside Verizon-land) has a separate graphics processor, which not every phone out there has.

Of course there are a lot of other powerful machines out there. I think most of the really high-end ones (iPhone 3GS, Xperia X10, N900, Milestone/Droid) are pretty comparable in speed. The Hero falls short IMO, because it has a smaller screen and doesn't look as cool. Does it have a dedicated graphics processor?

Steve the Pocket wrote:I never understood the appeal of a physical keyboard on cellthingies. I mean, on a laptop/netbook I understand, but when you're typing on chiclet-sized keys with your thumbs, is the tactile feedback really necessary or helpful? In my mind it just takes up more bulk or, in some cases, shrinks the available screen size. Plus, on-screen keyboards can be context-sensitive and change when you hit Shift or Alt, saving even more space.

It saves a lot of screen real eastate while typing, though. I'm still undecided on the physical/virtual keyboard thing. They both have their advantages. The iPhone has a truly excellent virtual keyboard, whereas many high-end devices with keyboards try to cram so much into such a small package that their keyboards suck. But are they really worse than a virtual one? And does the saved screen real estate make up for it, or do you not need so much screen while typing? A big screen is mostly useful while fingering it.

neoliminal wrote:Who want's a phone? That's what IRC is for.

How do you reach IRC without an internet connection? Smart phones aren't about phones, they're pocket computers with a permanent internet connection. Open wifi isn't exactly ubiquitous.

mcv

Postby mcv » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:54 am UTC

AaronD12 wrote:Droid does have a 256MB application limit. iDon't.

That's the really big one I keep forgetting about. I have no idea how big these apps usually are, but as far as I understand, 256 MB is the total size of all apps, so you've got a hard maximum on how many apps you can put on the machine. Sure, maps and other data can be stored elsewhere, but it's still an unnecessary limitation that might stop me from getting a Milestone/Droid. If I still remember it by the time I make the decision.

Iridos wrote:Actually, with 32GB of internal space + 16GB with the microSD card, I don't see the need for Maemo anymore - if their other devices using Maemo go towards similar specs, they would do better porting their apps to Debian and use plain Debian, with a repository overriding some packages(like probably xorg) and providing additional ones (like their proprietary mirob)... I think typical installs don't use much more than 10GB, so there'd be plenty of space left afterwards.

Don't forget Debian is also popular on desktops with much bigger screens and accurate mice. On the N900, I want to push buttons with my big fat clumsy fingers. You can install many Debian apps directly on Maemo, but personally I'd prefer a special version for small screen and big fingers.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:43 am UTC

mcv wrote:
Amarantha wrote:Amarantha is holding out for the Sony X10, unless something better is announced in the meantime.
Well, there's the Milestone/Droid. The X10 definitely sounds interesting, but it'll take longer to arrive, as far as I know. And I'm not sure I want my money to go to Sony.
I do rather dislike Sony, but for me it's not a phone so much as a portable internet, so I want an enormous screen. The X10 is just large enough at 4". I'd was tempted by the 4.3" of the HTC HD2, but if I'm forced to go with a capacitive screen, I'd rather have Android than WinMo.

Christo

Postby Christo » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:06 pm UTC

aquilo wrote:If you are charismatic enough to get life fulfilment by being elected president or getting a girlfriend, I wish you all the best, but let the rest of us have our nerdy toys.

I'm calling a foul on you, sir. I'm throwing a yellow card and pink slip your way. I'm fairly new to this board, but I fricking love it because it's filled with some of the smartest and friendliest people I've ever met online. Where else on the net can you ask a question about Oxford commas and get an enthusiastic response? This is a board of heroes, and I dare say that someone here may one day become president. Someone here may even one day have a girlfriend. :)

My point is just that I would have guessed that the conversation spinning out of this strip would be about the rat race of consumerism or the paradox of an economy based on consumer spending. I'm not saying gadgets aren't cool too, though, as a side note, I get more fulfillment chatting with a guy like you on my Commodore 32 than I would if I were using a fancier machine talking to an @$$hole.

CiDhed

Postby CiDhed » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:57 pm UTC

Most android apps are under a megabyte. I had quite a few apps on my G1 which only has 71 megs before I went to apps2sd. Now I have a 512mb ext4 partition on my class 6 card that holds all my apps. I had 50 or so apps and games on there and barely tipped 100mb used.

Fears about 256mb for apps on the droid are unwarranted.

DivideByZero

Postby DivideByZero » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:06 pm UTC

I have a Droid and It is great. Better than any iPhone 3GS I've ever seen.

Sereue

Postby Sereue » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

I have a G1 and there isn't anything I wish it did that it either doesn't do or presumably have the capability to do. ("Presumably" because I'm not a tech-y sort of person and don't know the first thing about writing apps and the like..) One of my coworkers has the iPhone and we constantly bicker (in a friendly, "it doesn't really matter who wins because we're arguing about phones" kind of way) about which is better. So this was a bit of a "get out of my head moment" for me. [I was starting to think it would never happen... I'm not sure if I should be relieved or worried...] o_O

Sunidesus

Postby Sunidesus » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:38 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:I never understood the appeal of a physical keyboard on cellthingies. I mean, on a laptop/netbook I understand, but when you're typing on chiclet-sized keys with your thumbs, is the tactile feedback really necessary or helpful? In my mind it just takes up more bulk or, in some cases, shrinks the available screen size. Plus, on-screen keyboards can be context-sensitive and change when you hit Shift or Alt, saving even more space.

For me it has more to do with speed/accuracy. I'll use the on-screen keyboard if whatever I want to type is only a couple characters long, but anything longer than that and I am a heck of a lot faster and more accurate with the physical one.

/Very happy owner of a G1

roflcopter

IRe: "iPhone or Droid" Discussion

Postby roflcopter » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:49 pm UTC

I love my DROID, so far I have not found anything I don't like about it, the keyboard is not the best, about on par with the HTC Raphael. I use the physical keyboard for longer things(I am typing this post from my DROID while laying on the couch watching tv.) The portrait and landscape virtual keyboards are both quite good, falling just short of the iPhone's. I absolutely love the multitasking abilities it has and am finding myself using my desktop less and less now that I have gotten it. I would fully recommend it to anyone in the market, especially if they already have VZW, it is a wonderful network, all my friends with iPhones and G1s don't have 3G here while I do!

mcv

Postby mcv » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:I do rather dislike Sony, but for me it's not a phone so much as a portable internet, so I want an enormous screen. The X10 is just large enough at 4". I'd was tempted by the 4.3" of the HTC HD2, but if I'm forced to go with a capacitive screen, I'd rather have Android than WinMo.

That one amazes me too. Who wants WinMo on a high-end device like that? I do love the HD2's gigantic screen, but I want a different OS. The X10 would also be very cool to have. In fact, I think it's the best looking phone out there, except that it's not yet out there. I believe I'll have to wait until January before I can get it, and I need a new machine now.

tangofox

Postby tangofox » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:00 am UTC

Haha, this is the first comic I've read on my Droid. Stop stalking me, Randall. But seriously, I love this lil bastard. It indeed does.

boradis

Postby boradis » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:28 am UTC

aquilo wrote:
ex-kgb wrote:Also, Droid > iPhone, mostly because iTunes blows.

I don't understand why a lot of people feel so strongly against iTunes. I find that it's really easy to use and it has all the features I need. Is there something technical that it's doing poorly that a non-computer person like me wouldn't notice?

I've got an iPhone 3Gs and work in a Mac office, though I have both a Mac and two PCs at home. As a result of my experience with and admiration for Apple products, I have to say that iTunes is the foulest piece of malware ever to masquerade as an application.

"Malware? What, like those phoney search bars that push porn ads at you with every click? You must be joking!" Sadly, I'm not.

As a media organizer, iTunes blows. Its window organization is bewildering to say the least -- how many times have you closed a window, only to have nothing at all showing? Try this. Start iTunes, and from your movie library, start playing a movie. Now pause the movie, and go back to the library window without quitting iTunes and WITHOUT going to the iTunes store window. I'll wait.

How'd that go? Did you give in and look at Apple's ads on the iTunes store front? What does that remind you of? Does the term "dick move" come to mind?

Now, assuming you're on a Mac, click the little green zoom button in the upper left. In every other Mac application, this button zooms the window to whatever the last size it held was, or defaults to the largest size available. Oh, what? iTunes breaks that rule by turning into a mini-player instead? That's nice. So now you don't actually have a zoom button for the program, do you?

But worst of all, keeping iTunes happy is the reason your iPhone can't play Flash files. Let's say you've got a daily news show you like to watch that's free on its own site, and free on Hulu (both of which use Flash), but on iTunes its $1.99. If you're on your iPhone, what are you going to do? The App store is another culprit in this, because think of all the Flash apps that could just skate around Apple/iTunes/App store getting a cut if the device played Flash.

iTunes sucks.

pavja2

Postby pavja2 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:13 am UTC

I am a proud iphone user, mainly because I am jailbroken. Not only do I feel imensely tech savvy being jailbroken, but I also get lots of great things that apple banned from the app store for example:

1) A video camera (on my 3G)

2) A FREE turn by turn voice GPS

3) A way to customize themes for my phone, everything from a springboard background to changing the entire look of the phone:http://iphonehelp.in/2009/05/05/ihome-theme-for-iphone-via-cydia-winterboard/

4) I can run a Mini-vMac emulator, windows 3, windows 95, and windows 98 ON MY IPHONE, (its slow on the 3g but works great on 3GS)

5) I can download an XKCD app to view XKCD comics as they come out.

6) I can answer texts without exiting from an app

7) I can run applications (i.e pandora) in the background

Finally there is I believe a group that is trying to dual boot android and iphone OS, so that you could run android ON THE IPHONE

I am sticking with my jailbroken iphone over the droids for now :)

karimarie

Postby karimarie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:01 am UTC

Another happy Motorola Droid user here. It's my first smartphone--I've been holding out because I hate qwerty keyboards, but when I found out that Verizon finally was getting a phone that ran Android, I decided it was finally time to switch.

I still hate the keyboard (both of them--physical and virtual) but I've made things slightly less painful by downloading an app called ShapeWriter. Still waiting for a halfway decent T9 app though--I'm a hell of a lot faster with that.

Aside from the keypad, my only beefs are tiny (the known issues w/ the camera autofocus, the fact that the damn volume button is way too easy to accidentally hit, the fact that the microUSB plug is on the BOTTOM when the phone is held horizontal, meaning you can't just prop it up on a nightstand or something) but other than that, I really really love it. Sweet sweet little phone. I've spent FAR too much time playing with it and on androidforums.com. :oops: 8)

Kailen

Postby Kailen » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:50 pm UTC

Bah. Engineers need to learn where the phone ends and other gizmos begin. If this keeps up, before you know it you'll be making cell phone calls on portable game systems. Ah, dammit...
* These senseless ramblings brought to you by Insanity™. If you just can't figure the dang thing out, it must be Insanity™.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

Sereue wrote:I have a G1 and there isn't anything I wish it did that it either doesn't do or presumably have the capability to do. ("Presumably" because I'm not a tech-y sort of person and don't know the first thing about writing apps and the like..) One of my coworkers has the iPhone and we constantly bicker (in a friendly, "it doesn't really matter who wins because we're arguing about phones" kind of way) about which is better. So this was a bit of a "get out of my head moment" for me. [I was starting to think it would never happen... I'm not sure if I should be relieved or worried...] o_O

Well, in a round about sort of way it does matter.

Take the June cover of the New Yorker http://brushesapp.com/

And a newly coined term http://www.iphoneography.com/

And compare:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/iphoneography/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/mobilography/
Note how much larger the iPhone group is than the generic group. And the iPhone has only existed for about 3 years now.

The evidence suggests that if you want to "restlessly produce" you should get an iPhone. Your chances are better.

pavja2

Postby pavja2 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

But worst of all, keeping iTunes happy is the reason your iPhone can't play Flash files. Let's say you've got a daily news show you like to watch that's free on its own site, and free on Hulu (both of which use Flash), but on iTunes its $1.99. If you're on your iPhone, what are you going to do? The App store is another culprit in this, because think of all the Flash apps that could just skate around Apple/iTunes/App store getting a cut if the device played Flash.

Just jailbreak and download "iMobile Cinema", with a jailbroken phone there are no disadvantages. :)

Anticitizen

Postby Anticitizen » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:28 pm UTC

The key difference between the two is that Apple keeps attempting to shut the jailbreaking down, and will eventually succeed, if they know how to secure an OS.

On the other hand, Android is *all about* being open. Open source, open development. The dev kit is free and it's free to distribute. Though there is an app store, anyone can write and publish apps anywhere on the web, bypassing any 'app store' approval process. The Android OS is also scheduled to be launched on many, many devices over the upcoming months... I'd seriously predict that Android OS users will outnumber iPhone users in a few short months. Combine the ubiquitous nature of the OS with the ease of development and lack of restrictions, and the number of quality apps available will quickly pass the iPhone, too. And you'll be able to get your Android phone in any shape, size, color, or flavor you like, instead of being restricted to your One iProduct.

Heck, this guy was able to boot Android on an old Palm 650!

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/11/1 ... ife-video/

I think Android is the future of the mobile market.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”