0666: "Silent Hammer"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jeszjesz

Re: "Silent Hammer" Discussion

Postby jeszjesz » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:26 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:Stealth carpentry!!! Finally something I can relate to!

endolith wrote:Has anyone actually tried to make a silent hammer? How would it work?

Indeed, behold:

Actually laughed out loud at this.
"My heart is nothing more than an engine forged from the remnants of a dead star" - Kimiko Ross (Dresden Codak - Anagoge Starring Tiny Carl Jung)

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:02 am UTC

Oort wrote:I don't get the last panel. What's an "owner's card" and what does it have to do with skeptics?

The owner (of the house)'s (business) card. The parenthetic parts are assumed.

ToroQ3000

Postby ToroQ3000 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:27 am UTC

Truely Evil for 666!! Though he could have spiced it up with a reference to the Skeptic's mother. :mrgreen:

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:36 am UTC

endolith wrote:Has anyone actually tried to make a silent hammer? How would it work?

They are actually used in auto shops. They are called rubber mallets...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallet.
Damn, forgot how to make proper hyperlinks.
Chaos Reigns!

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:37 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:Stealth carpentry!!! Finally something I can relate to!

Indeed, behold:
Spoiler:

Hey, that's THOUSANDS of times better than my mallet :-)
Chaos Reigns!

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:39 am UTC

I thought people would have noticed the Get Smart reference. There was an episode about a man like this.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:26 am UTC

TiLt wrote:I would love to be able to do this sort of thing. Is it normal to want to copy the BHG?

Want? Yes. Do? No.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

TZer0

Postby TZer0 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:35 pm UTC

Isn't this comic 665, as there's no comic here?

odog1999

Postby odog1999 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:05 pm UTC

I like BHG's organizational skills: one box for drills, one box for non-drills.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

fooladder wrote:I wouldn't mind if a stealth carpenter broke into my house and added some extra living space.
You'd think that giving away the big secret would ruin it, but now I want to read it again knowing the cause of all those shenanigans.

Although that does mean the roaring makes even less sense....
500%!

bolson

Postby bolson » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:49 pm UTC

Paraphrasing Arthur C Clarke:
Sufficiently advanced mischief is indistinguishable from magic

suzi

Postby suzi » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:56 pm UTC

Klapaucius wrote:
fooladder wrote:I wouldn't mind if a stealth carpenter broke into my house and added some extra living space.
You'd think that giving away the big secret would ruin it, but now I want to read it again knowing the cause of all those shenanigans.

My theory: BHG does this to Zampanò, inspiring him to create the Navidson Record. Johnny figures it out at some point but is too strung out to articulate it. Bonus: BHG is actually Lude.

Vulcanis

Postby Vulcanis » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:14 pm UTC

Its actually pretty easy to quiet a hammer with common household materials. I mean, all you do is put a soda bottle on the end of the ba-- Oh, right, hammers.
The only difference between insanity and genius is success.

LTK

Postby LTK » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:18 pm UTC

Did Black Hat Guy buy a bigger black hat?

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:19 pm UTC

suzi wrote:
Klapaucius wrote:

My theory: BHG does this to Zampanò, inspiring him to create the Navidson Record. Johnny figures it out at some point but is too strung out to articulate it. Bonus: BHG is actually Lude.
And the New Director.
500%!

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:41 pm UTC

Justis wrote:No references in the comic to 666? :(
Actually, when I read this comic, I asked myself "Is it all a coincidence that comic #666 is about emulating a poltergeist?"

mobilegamer999 wrote:Even though today's comic has the number 666 wendsdays will truly be the 666'th comic because there was never actually a comic number 404. :D oh and great job on the comic btw Randall.
lulz :D
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/

jeffreyearly

Postby jeffreyearly » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

Nobody seems to have noted that this joke was the basis for Roald Dahl's "The Twits."

Jeffrey

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:06 pm UTC

Get out of my head Randel!!

My wife and I live in a medium sized condo in Brooklyn (go Brooklyn, go Brooklyn) and we share a wall in our walk up with our nice neighbors. Our homes are mirror images. We decided the next time they go on vacation (they ask us to watch the cat for them) that we would knock down the wall between our master bedrooms, remove their master bedroom door and replace it with ... steel covered on their side with drywall... sell all their bedroom furniture on Craig's list and thus increase our apartment size by about 30%.

Of course when they got back and found the end of their hallway no longer lead to anything but a dead end... well you can imagine how they might feel. So we decided the best idea was to put fake blood between the dry wall and the steel wall, so if they tried to bust it down, the wall would "bleed". We'd also put some kind of scary symbols on it. You know, like pentagrams or the number 666.

We weren't sure how the cops would take it though.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

entropomorphic

Postby entropomorphic » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:19 pm UTC

Man, I was sure the alt-text would have a Feng Shui joke. :roll:

dudyk

Postby dudyk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:.

:-)

HighSpeedFallingObjects

Postby HighSpeedFallingObjects » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:45 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:Get out of my head Randel!!

My wife and I live in a medium sized condo in Brooklyn (go Brooklyn, go Brooklyn) and we share a wall in our walk up with our nice neighbors. Our homes are mirror images. We decided the next time they go on vacation (they ask us to watch the cat for them) that we would knock down the wall between our master bedrooms, remove their master bedroom door and replace it with ... steel covered on their side with drywall... sell all their bedroom furniture on Craig's list and thus increase our apartment size by about 30%.

Of course when they got back and found the end of their hallway no longer lead to anything but a dead end... well you can imagine how they might feel. So we decided the best idea was to put fake blood between the dry wall and the steel wall, so if they tried to bust it down, the wall would "bleed". We'd also put some kind of scary symbols on it. You know, like pentagrams or the number 666.

Damn, you're cool. 8)

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

chocolate.razorblades wrote:Chair of the A.S.S.! Hahaha.

Anyone? :P

that horrible pun ruined what would have been an ok comic.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

millernumber1

Postby millernumber1 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

Maybe it's just me, but this seems a lot like a Dark City joke.

The Boz

Postby The Boz » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

Get out of my head!
Yay! My first GOMH! moment!
A few days ago, I came home two and a half hours before I was supposed to. My dad failed to notice my arrival, even though I said hello. So I go to my room, change clothes, and begin to spy on my dad. He goes to the bathroom, comes out turning off the light, by the time he comes back to the kitchen I turn the light back on. (there is an air flow window near the ceiling between the kitchen and the bathroom, so you can see the light coming through) He goes back to turn the light off, going WTF!?, while I use that time to change the channels on his TV. Once he is back in the kitchen, I ring the outside bell. When he comes to answer the door, I go to the kitchen and mix up the plates, move the meat over to the counter from the table, turn the water on and the like. He comes back and is once again WTF?! All this time I am moving from one hiding place to the next, from under the table to behind the door, from the bedroom to the pantry, from behind the dresser to under the covers on the couch. Mom comes home and I sneak up to her to tell her "He has no idea I am home." She burns her cheese quite hard. Dad notices the smell of burning cheese so comes to see what is up, notices me. It all dawns upon him. I have been f****ing with him for the past hour and a half :D
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!

sithwalrus

Postby sithwalrus » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

i was just thinking about making stealth shoes the other day
my plan involved active noise cancellation though, a good mike, speakers, and it plays back the sound of my footsteps offset by 1/2 periods.
i guess this would work for hammers too.
does anyone know how effective active noise cancellation is for sudden loud noises? my dad says they used it around all the heavy equipment at his job

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

sithwalrus wrote:i was just thinking about making stealth shoes the other day
my plan involved active noise cancellation though, a good mike, speakers, and it plays back the sound of my footsteps offset by 1/2 periods.
does anyone know how effective active noise cancellation is for sudden loud noises? my dad says they used it around all the heavy equipment at his job

To my knowledge it does not work well at all. The problem is that sound is being sent out in 3-D space and you can't cancel the waves in all the directions it is spreading easily. Much easier is stopping it as it attempts to enter the ears because the direction, volume, etc are all knowable at that one spot and thus much easier to match.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

SaintCahier

Postby SaintCahier » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:50 pm UTC

Damaging antique furniture is just plain wrong :-(~~~

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:57 pm UTC

Also, you and your microcontroller would need to match the sound to within microseconds to keep the waves synchronized. Not to mention that your shoes would have to make the exact same sound every time, and on every surface.
It's not really possible.

thelastholdout

Postby thelastholdout » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

Just two weeks ago I was wondering when we'd see the return of Black Hat Guy. I really missed him, Randall. :(

And as usual, his diabolical schemes are the source of epic lulz.

T-D

Postby T-D » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

TZer0 wrote:Isn't this comic 665, as there's no comic here?

You're right! By that logic, this is only comic 664!

makc

Postby makc » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:38 pm UTC

umop ap!sdn

Postby umop ap!sdn » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:53 pm UTC

The hammer is my penis.
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

If not satisfied with this post, please return unused portion for full refund.

pegasos989

Postby pegasos989 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:
Timato wrote:

http://www.shirehydraulics.com.au/SILENT%20HAMMER.html

"Maintaining noise levels below 70 db"
Wow. That's so quiet you wouldn't even get hearing damage from using it continuously!

You don't understand... This picture is to scale!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:39 pm UTC

Or he could do the exact opposite, and make a hammer that hits at 120 db, and then use a focusing dish to knock out the guy's hearing.

khariifa

Postby khariifa » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

suzi wrote:
Klapaucius wrote:

Lude seemed like too nice of a guy to be BHG. My theory is that BHG was actually Zampanò, and he did it to some poor family in Virginia and then wrote a book about how they reacted.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

aldld wrote:When I saw the title of this comic, at first I thought it would be about MC Hammer.

But, the stealth carpentry thing was pretty cool, too!

I thought that to. Unfortunately no MC Hammer.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

And yet, all I can think to myself after reading the comic is "Chairman of the A.S.S." Clearly I do not have the right mindset for this comic.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

stormfire908

Postby stormfire908 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

House of leaves anyone?

sithwalrus

Postby sithwalrus » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:

Also, you and your microcontroller would need to match the sound to within microseconds to keep the waves synchronized. Not to mention that your shoes would have to make the exact same sound every time, and on every surface.
It's not really possible.

you might need to check how this method of noise cancellation works. it does not rely on the sounds it cancels always being the same. (there are a lot of headphones with this implemented, it can filter out all sounds, or specific ranges, but it works the same way for talking, engines, music, etc.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinoise
also, to Neoliminal:
it is easier blocking sound at someones ears, but when you are infiltrating a guarded facility, you probably wont have the luxury of giving all the soldiers a pair of NC headphones beforehand. since it is hypothetically possible to make your footsteps silent, i was wondering to how expensive / reliable it would be. (or if we even have sufficiently compact technology for this)
the biggest problem might be that if the floor/other surroundings are shaken, they could produce new sounds to far away to be canceled. oh well...

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:56 pm UTC

stormfire908 wrote:House of leaves anyone?
Hey, you're right.
I can't believe three people haven't noticed that already.
500%!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”