0666: "Silent Hammer"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

PeteThePessimist

Re: "Silent Hammer" Discussion

Postby PeteThePessimist » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:09 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:
endolith wrote:Has anyone actually tried to make a silent hammer? How would it work?

Indeed, behold:
Spoiler:

And yet, they have made sonic silent-hammers.
Spoiler:

Also: Page get.

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:20 am UTC

hmm... is this 664, 665, or 666? There could have been some apocalypse-related joke if it was the latter. Nonetheless, this joke was pretty good, and it is surprising only one person has commented on the state of the antique furniture. BHG should focus on something larger, though, like his theft of a nuclear submarine.
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:10 am UTC

666, 616... whatever.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

serrath

Postby serrath » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:22 am UTC

mobilegamer999 wrote:Even though today's comic has the number 666 wendsdays will truly be the 666'th comic because there was never actually a comic number 404. :D oh and great job on the comic btw Randall.

Actually, Friday's ought to be the real 666. Randall started indexing from "1" for some reason...

boradis

Postby boradis » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:00 am UTC

Squid Tamer wrote:I've been around a lot of pounding hammers lately, and boy do I wish there were silent hammers.

God, you and me both. The uses for silent tools would be numerous and wonderful.

rick_j

Postby rick_j » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:17 am UTC

this comic immediately reminded me of a calvin & hobbes strip. if you don't recall which one, then you don't deserve to know.

Me321

Postby Me321 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:54 am UTC

Ok i looked for the commercial that this reminded me of but i could not find it, so...if someone can find it please post it, if you don't know what commercial i am talking about then you don't watch enough tv :)

Ferahgo

Postby Ferahgo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:32 am UTC

Dexter definitely needs to look into getting a silent hammer.

LaughingMan42

Postby LaughingMan42 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:54 am UTC

Just remember that something like this is always better than a supernatural explanation. Oakum's razor demands it.

TheoGB

Postby TheoGB » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:21 am UTC

LaughingMan42 wrote:Just remember that something like this is always better than a supernatural explanation. Oakum's razor demands it.

That's going to be one shit razor.

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:27 am UTC

TheoGB wrote:
LaughingMan42 wrote:Just remember that something like this is always better than a supernatural explanation. Oakum's razor demands it.

That's going to be one shit razor.

LOL

That's probably been said over and over, but don't all, I mean ALL supernatural events become doubtful when high enough tech is involved? False memory implantation could make you believe in anything... hell, doesn't hypnosis already makes that possible?

And yet we relly in feelings... "I feel this means a superior force..." Hell, how can we still trust this kind of feeling? I feel love can bloom, and I hell KNOW it's a complete sham. For instance. Yet, we're programmed to feel it.
Chaos Reigns!

SunDawg

Postby SunDawg » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

heh, "drills" and "non-drills" boxes in the 2nd panel

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:26 pm UTC

SunDawg wrote:heh, "drills" and "non-drills" boxes in the 2nd panel

I saw that, but out of respect for the non-drills I didn't want to bring it up.
[hint, scary!]

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:06 pm UTC

I liked classholes older, narrower hat better. Why did he buy a new one? The old one suited the shape of his head better.

jdmack

Postby jdmack » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

All I can say is I hope Joe Nickell makes an appearance in a future comic to give BHG his come-comeuppance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Nickell

J. D.

ammy55

Postby ammy55 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

must buy silent tools :lol: :shock:

muahaha
silent wanton destruction :twisted:

scgtrp

Postby scgtrp » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:48 am UTC

I was expecting a 666 joke as well (followed by a real-life apocalypse triggered by the xkcd apocalypse) but this is way better. :D

To the people saying this is really #665: It's almost as if you didn't know about the super-secret hidden comic that makes up for #404. I don't even know where you got 664 from. (What does indexing from 1 have to do with it? That way #42 is indeed the 42nd comic.)

NefariousWheel

Postby NefariousWheel » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:57 am UTC

The Boz wrote:Get out of my head!
Yay! My first GOMH! moment!
A few days ago, I came home two and a half hours before I was supposed to. My dad failed to notice my arrival, even though I said hello. So I go to my room, change clothes, and begin to spy on my dad. He goes to the bathroom, comes out turning off the light, by the time he comes back to the kitchen I turn the light back on....

Truly evil. But pre-empted by the old black & white movie "Gaslight" which put this perversion into a lot of impressionable minds (like those of my folks. I'm sure of it).

Some years ago a friend of mine spoke of his neighbors who lived on a boat in San Pedro. "Psychologists - especially two of them - should never be allowed to have children" he said. He said his neighbors either turned a light on or turned one off every time their child sneezed, from the moment he came home from the hospital. A few years past that discussion a naptha tanker blew up rather dramatically near their dock. I've always wondered about that. Correlation isn't causation, but sometimes it can sure dilate the pupils.

NefariousWheel

Postby NefariousWheel » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:16 am UTC

TZer0 wrote:Isn't this comic 665, as there's no comic here?

So, is http://www.xkcd.com/664/ or http://www.xkcd.com/663/ the Neighbor of the Beast?

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:29 am UTC

The guy in the hat sounds like a real life troll. :|

tappitytap112

Postby tappitytap112 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:52 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:Clearly he hasn't perfected walking in tap shoes without making a noise.

It's pretty easy; I've done it many times. All you have to do is walk on the balls on your feet so your toes don't touch the floor. Then again, it only works with soft-soled tap shoes.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

Ivora wrote:The guy in the hat sounds like a real "life troll".

fix'd
[hint, scary!]

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:
sithwalrus wrote:i was just thinking about making stealth shoes the other day
my plan involved active noise cancellation though, a good mike, speakers, and it plays back the sound of my footsteps offset by 1/2 periods.
i guess this would work for hammers too.
does anyone know how effective active noise cancellation is for sudden loud noises? my dad says they used it around all the heavy equipment at his job

To my knowledge it does not work well at all. The problem is that sound is being sent out in 3-D space and you can't cancel the waves in all the directions it is spreading easily. Much easier is stopping it as it attempts to enter the ears because the direction, volume, etc are all knowable at that one spot and thus much easier to match.

I think the real problem is how rapidly the wavelength gets short as the frequecy rises. As a rule of tumb, you have to start taking into account propagation effects if your device is more than about 1/10 of the wavelength. The (temperature dependent) speed of sound is about 300m/s. This means at 10 HZ (Wavelength 30m), your noise canceling device has to have dimensions of less than about 3m to allow you to ignore wave propagation (Which you have to do if you don't know where the receiver is). At the just-audible 30Hz freqency (L 10m), you are down to 1m. At 300Hz, the lowest frequency in the pass-band of telephones and low-end stereos (L 1m), you have only 10cm (about 4 inches) to work with. At the upper end of the telephone pass-band (3000Hz, L 10cm), you noise source and canceling apparatus have to be within about 1cm (about 25/64 of an inch).
lulzfish wrote:Also, you and your microcontroller would need to match the sound to within microseconds to keep the waves synchronized. Not to mention that your shoes would have to make the exact same sound every time, and on every surface.
It's not really possible.

Kids these days!

You don't need a mircocontroller. You can do it all (in real-time) in the analog domain with an OP-AMP (essentially an analog computer).

serrath wrote:
mobilegamer999 wrote:Even though today's comic has the number 666 wendsdays will truly be the 666'th comic because there was never actually a comic number 404. :D oh and great job on the comic btw Randall.

Actually, Friday's ought to be the real 666. Randall started indexing from "1" for some reason...

Faulty reasoning. mobilegamer999 clearly used the term "666'th" that I believe represents enumeration of physical objects. The 0'th comic represents a null comic.

It has been argued that since 404 is also a null comic, all subsequent comics are "off by one." However, you (serrath) seem to be arguing that neither comics '0' nor '404' should be considered 'null' comics. In effect, you are looking at the comic numbers as labels, rather than simple enumeration. You can find the actual labels Randal assigned here.

Edit: I suspect my reasoning is faulty here, but can't figure out exactly where I went wrong. (Maybe we should drop it)

Edit2: I think I figured it out: by ignoring the assigned numbers, serrath is doing enumeration as well. I neglected to explain why the counting of physical objects has to start a 1. The answer: '0' represents the absence of objects. This of course is convention established through history. The Romans did not even have a number representing the absence of objects. I'm sure yes can chose another number such as "-1" to represent the absence of objects, but there is little historical precedent.
Last edited by phillipsjk on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Did you get the number on that truck?

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

TZer0 wrote:Isn't this comic 665, as there's no comic here?

Everyone please stop pointing it out or I will fucking END you.

<3

~ B
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

iakiss

Postby iakiss » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:20 am UTC

by far one of my favorites

cypher

Postby cypher » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:33 am UTC

moxmallow wrote:
captain2obvious wrote:Well some would say this is just 665.. Im just kidding! Please no one start that!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If you didn't get this, just type

http://www.xkcd.com/404

and pretend that the comic does in fact exit. This guys is a genius.
find the limit as x approaches infinity of
___x___
(x2+1)1/2
using L'Hôpital's rule.

Imaginary Friend

Postby Imaginary Friend » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:04 am UTC

I want to thank all of you who mentioned xkcd's 404th comic; I can't believe I missed that before! The cheese burnt me when I went there!

Archosaur

Postby Archosaur » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

endolith wrote:Has anyone actually tried to make a silent hammer? How would it work?

I have an idea.
Have you seen commercials for the auto-hammer? (craftsman)
It basically vibrates nails into wood.

What if you jacked up the frequency of the vibration to above human hearing range?

Okay, not technically silent, or really feasible at all, but hey...

Chrisism

Postby Chrisism » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:43 am UTC

Archosaur wrote:

I have an idea.
Have you seen commercials for the auto-hammer? (craftsman)
It basically vibrates nails into wood.

What if you jacked up the frequency of the vibration to above human hearing range?

Okay, not technically silent, or really feasible at all, but hey...

How about a combination of a suction cup and pnuematic press, though if it goes wrong a loud pop is likely to wake up the subject / victim.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:16 am UTC

Chrisism wrote:How about a combination of a suction cup and pnuematic press

Worst sex toy ever.

π=3.15

Postby π=3.15 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:43 am UTC

A plunger, lube and aspirin.

Pull harder, mom!

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:49 am UTC

I was only responding to the post above me, you know, not announcing a contest.

Cuddleskunk

Postby Cuddleskunk » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:20 am UTC

Did anyone else notice that there is no such organization as the "American Skeptics Society?" It is simply known as the "Skeptics Society."

What makes this funny?

"American Skeptics Society" would be ASS. So, the chair of the ASS...
Funny...I wonder if it was intentional.

t-note

Postby t-note » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

Quicksilver wrote:I thought people would have noticed the Get Smart reference. There was an episode about a man like this.

I do. I used to watch that show all the time with my grandma, and the second you mentioned it, that scene popped into my head. LOL

and my further comments are this:
I've had that very thought many a time, not necessarily for skeptics... but certainly for people I'd dearly love to drive mad. :twisted:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”