0261: "Regarding Mussolini"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

EOTistatron

Postby EOTistatron » Tue May 15, 2007 4:13 am UTC

The LuigiManiac wrote:This thread is made of God and WIN.

Fixed. Great comic, too.

Though it really does raise the question as to how quickly any discussion of Nazis prompts the mention of Godwin's law...

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue May 15, 2007 4:29 am UTC

I just realized that if you respond to this, I will officially be involved in a conversation about Nazi furries.
I was going to PM you with the picture, but I couldn't find it and I didn't think to save it when I first came across it.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue May 15, 2007 3:47 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:"The earler Hitler or Nazis are brought up in serious discussion, the more inappropriate and irrelevant that comparison is likely to be."

Incidentally, I hitlered your mom. Nazi style.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Wed May 16, 2007 1:14 am UTC

So someone brought up black hole in another thread and I thought to myself, "Black holes are so cool. I don't know enough about them, so I'll wikipedia it."

Black holes --> Black hole information paradox --> Maxwell's demon --> Second law of thermodynamics --> Zeroth law of thermodynamics --> Zeroth --> Zero Hour --> Stunde Null --> Nazism.

I just Godwinned wikipedia, totally by accident.

As disturbing as this is, it's good to know that if two comics (this one and the wiki one) and one of the most common concepts on the forum are combined, the world doesn't implode.

Now, if velociraptors had somehow been involved, that would be a totally different story.

iw

Postby iw » Wed May 16, 2007 1:23 am UTC

UmbrageOfSnow wrote:EDIT: Oddly enough, I've yet to have a conversation about Atheist NAZIS! in fur suits. Can someone explain this mathematically?

P(A and B and C) < P(A)*P(B)*P(C)

ryan_the_leach

the game

Postby ryan_the_leach » Wed May 16, 2007 1:46 am UTC

EYanyo wrote:
Oh, and on a mostly unrelated note... I just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Damn me too.

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Wed May 16, 2007 2:53 am UTC

iw wrote:
UmbrageOfSnow wrote:EDIT: Oddly enough, I've yet to have a conversation about Atheist NAZIS! in fur suits. Can someone explain this mathematically?

Drat, good point. I can't believe I was stupid enough to make a joke so easily ruined by simple probability theory.

Although I suppose there is a greater probability of that happening on these forums than on most others.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

blob

Postby blob » Wed May 16, 2007 8:22 am UTC

iw wrote:

Unfortunately not. Suppose X is uniform in [0, 1]. A is the event "X in [0, 0.1]", B is the event "X in [0.08, 0.18]".

Then P(A and B) = 0.02 ≥ P(A)*P(B) = 0.1*0.1

"Unless ... unless they kill us, then animate our corpses as dead zombies to fight for them. Then I suppose they've taken our lives, AND our freedom."
- Elan, OOTS 421.

LegosDrgn

Postby LegosDrgn » Wed May 16, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

The LuigiManiac wrote:I'm happy to say I already knew about Godwin's Law. :)

Is it bad that I not only already knew what Godwin's Law was, but that, last year, I wrote a paper for my college-level english class describing the merits of Godwin's Law?

Benevolent Lion

Postby Benevolent Lion » Thu May 17, 2007 2:22 am UTC

Boy, I'm sure glad my friend's don't know about this law. If they did, our Communist and nazi jokes, would be nazi-less.

Btw, blame High School world history courses and The Producers for my generations indifferences.

P.S. You all are communists! (you know I love you guys)
Oohhh, Sexy girlfriend!

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Thu May 17, 2007 5:06 am UTC

Benevolent Lion wrote:Btw, blame High School world history courses and The Producers for my generations indifferences.

So, you're blaming a government-run institution and a group of Jews for your failures? Typical communist/Nazi behaviour.

Blaming a government-run institution for your failures is communist in that Marx predicted violent revolution by the proletariat because of dissatisfaction with government services, one of which is now public schools. Okay, it was a stretch.

ZoFreX

Postby ZoFreX » Thu May 17, 2007 2:23 pm UTC

Anyone who likes The Producers is ok with me!

flatluigi

Postby flatluigi » Fri May 18, 2007 1:29 am UTC

Somnia wrote:
Blaming a government-run institution for your failures is communist in that Marx predicted violent revolution by the proletariat because of dissatisfaction with government services, one of which is now public schools. Okay, it was a stretch.

First time I've ever seen someone back up a communist accusation with anything. Kudos.

Now, a question: Would Godwin's law have any effect on conversations about grammar Nazis?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri May 18, 2007 3:07 am UTC

flatluigi wrote:
Somnia wrote:

First time I've ever seen someone back up a communist accusation with anything. Kudos.

Now, a question: Would Godwin's law have any effect on conversations about grammar Nazis?

I don't know, is there a Grammar Hitler who rules them all?

I secretly hope so

I bet their concentration camps are sweet

Drake Zure

Postby Drake Zure » Fri May 18, 2007 3:09 am UTC

i prefer spelling Nazis. They help me.

yes, that is intentional.

Spelling Nazi, at your service.
benjhuey wrote:
IceMod wrote:The fingers did surprise me though.

That's what SHE said.
And then she left. I wonder why...

etho

Postby etho » Sun May 20, 2007 10:44 pm UTC

While many people are familiar with the concept of Godwin's Law as it is being discussed here, relatively few people are aware of some of Godwin's other landmark discoveries:

Godwin's First Law of Thermodynamics: Hitler-based arguments can be neither created nor destroyed.

Godwin's Law of Quantum Physics: As you approach the quantum level of measurement, all matter begins to resemble Hitler.

Godwin's Cat: Godwin's cat simultaneously does and does not have a Hitler mustache.

gsail11

Postby gsail11 » Mon May 21, 2007 2:09 am UTC

EYanyo wrote:Oh, and on a mostly unrelated note... I just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Bastard.

haha oh well, tomorrow I'll be right back in it again.

Now i'm sorta affraid that I'll think about it too much, that it will be on my mind all the time, and I'll end up losing multiple times per day.

oh well, we'll see
Wow! That's a big-ass hole!

Jimboian Logic

Moved Thread

Postby Jimboian Logic » Mon May 21, 2007 6:35 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/c261.html

Most people have discussed the Godwin's Law that states:

'As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.'

I thought I'd like to share with everyone a wonderful line I read in PhysicsWorld.

'What is the experiment that establishes evil as a scientific fact? There is none, as science does not comprehend the concepts of "right" and "wrong" - there are no units ("milli-Hitlers") for degrees of evil.'

George Ellis, Maths Department, University of Cape Town, South Africa

As part of Godwin's Law, I would like to propose the new SI unit of the 'Hitler'.

As taken from the Wikipedia, I will propose a rough estimate of what counts as a 'Hitler'

'Between 1939 and 1945, the SS, assisted by collaborationist governments and recruits from occupied countries, systematically killed somewhere between 11 and 14 million people, including about 6 million Jews, in concentration camps, ghettos and mass executions, or through less systematic methods elsewhere'

If you wish for the ease of calculations to take the number as being 10 million deaths, then that is 10x10^6 deaths or 1 Hitler. As such, this starts to give us a frame of reference for the unit of the Hitler. For example, the murder of 10 people would count as 1 micro-Hitler.

Of course, not all arguments that invoke Godwin's law are necessarily sensible, and are related to the killing of humans, and so conversions may need to be taken into account. For example, 'how many bunnies do you have to kill before you rack up a micro-Hitler?'

I'll leave this as an open discussion, as I'm sure everyone has a wide array of ideas.

(apologies for starting my own thread. Happy discussions. Also, in light of feedback from previous threads, I'll modify my simplifications to 10 million :) )

(Quite alright, just trying to keep things tidy up in here, y'know?) - Tip of the hat, wag of the toe-claw

Benevolent Lion

Postby Benevolent Lion » Tue May 22, 2007 1:08 am UTC

Here's a question about whether or not a kill is assumed a unit of hitler. If one kills a evil being, does it count as a unit of hitler. Or if one kills a raptor, does it push us closer to one hitler? Or if (because I love RPGs too much) in a world of monsters, one slay several mobs, can the slayer eventually hit one hitler?
Oohhh, Sexy girlfriend!

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue May 22, 2007 4:36 am UTC

If you wish for the ease of calculations to take the number as being 10 million deaths, then that is 10x10^6 deaths or 1 Hitler.
It's much cleaner to write 1x10^7 deaths.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Thu May 24, 2007 4:31 pm UTC

LegosDrgn wrote:
The LuigiManiac wrote:I'm happy to say I already knew about Godwin's Law. :)

Is it bad that I not only already knew what Godwin's Law was, but that, last year, I wrote a paper for my college-level english class describing the merits of Godwin's Law?

I first met mike in person in 1992, and he was on the cyberia-l list for years.
Here's an interview he did with vernor vinge in reason.
http://reason.com/news/show/119237.html

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”