0673: "The Sun"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ysth

Re: "The Sun" Discussion

Postby ysth » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:13 am UTC

XbHW_TestEngr wrote:Yup ... I named my computer sunshine. Guys in the lab look at me a little strange, but I can deal with it.
Yeah, well, I named your mom's computer sunshine.

Actually, I mean I named my wife's computer sunshine, after Sunshine.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

Sir-Taco

Postby Sir-Taco » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:14 am UTC

First thing in my head was "SUNSHINE!" which probably means I should watch The Core and Sunshine back to back to see what this might actually look like. I haven't seen both in a while.
The world is a cold and dark place, so start fire.

rocketrat

Postby rocketrat » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:18 am UTC

Firewall422 wrote:How is that girl looking in the telescope (presumably at the sun) without getting her corneas melted?

(on second thought, those stick figures don't have eyes anyways, so it doesn't matter)

It's probably a solar telescope. They exist. Basically a huge filter for certain wavelengths.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:24 am UTC

The recent movie Moon actually goes along quite nicely with Sunshine. If you've never seen either, I recommend settling down for a celestial double-feature.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

hyperion2010

Postby hyperion2010 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:35 am UTC

And to think the government has been trying to cancel DST!!!!

The TJ

Postby The TJ » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:52 am UTC

Which is worse, that I'd probably watch this, or that I think I may have already? (Not Sunshine, some rip-off I can't remember the name of.)
Blokey wrote:John Carpenter is set to direct a Broadway musical about an uncompromising interstellar shape-shifter who is taught compassion and the finer points of culture by Kurt Russell. It is tentatively titled The Thing & I.

SW15243

Postby SW15243 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:54 am UTC

It's not a Sunshine joke, it's a joke about The Core, which is arguably the funniest movie ever made.

When the Earth's rotation inexplicably stops, it's up to that nerdy kid from The New Guy and a crack team of nuclear explosion experts to blow up the core of the Earth...to save itself.
This summer, get to the center of the problem.
The Core.

Krazywrath

Postby Krazywrath » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:00 am UTC

I laughed so hard at this! xD

And yeah... Daylight Saving Time sounds good in theory, but there are disadvantages to it too... My biological clock gets messed up twice a year because of it! ~.~

Frello

Postby Frello » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:06 am UTC

In regards of a certain repeated theme in both Sunshine and The Core, I would rather want the tagline to be:

Daylight Saving Time
- It has to be done manually!

AL_

Postby AL_ » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:06 am UTC

Of course, if Sunshine was given this as a new tagline, being a brit-flick it would instead be "British Summer Time". Because we're odd like that.

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:08 am UTC

It's definitely about that tag line "Never Fall Back." It's great lines like those that make you wonder why you haven't seen it already. It's new to me!

Ah language... so much word play.

hallux

-

Postby hallux » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:14 am UTC

[DELETED]
Last edited by hallux on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:21 am UTC

schwal wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Of course, the reason that the Sun's fusion was going out was because the big bad government was trying to figure out how to weaponize the sun.

That's easy.

1. Take thing you want to kill/make disappear.
2. Insert into sun.
3. Profit.

But why toss your enemies into the Sun when you can make the Sun come to them?

(which, incidentally, is exactly what a hydrogen fusion bomb does :P )

iain_benson

Postby iain_benson » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:26 am UTC

AL_ wrote:Of course, if Sunshine was given this as a new tagline, being a brit-flick it would instead be "British Summer Time". Because we're odd like that.

"Never fall back" wouldn't really work either if it were a brit-flick as we call it by it's proper name - Autumn - we don't need to call it fall to remind us the leaves fall off the trees :P

Kyrn

Postby Kyrn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:35 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:So if the sun went out for a day before it was restarted, would that necessarily be a bad thing?

Well, polar nights are a common occurrence at several places..
I am NOT a snake.

Opinions discussed are not necessarily the opinions of the people discussing them.

thret

Postby thret » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:39 am UTC

Invisible_Insane wrote:Sunshine... it was not good.

Certainly makes my worst 10 movies ever made list. I spent the whole movie going wtf? How dumb is this? They were trying to make Event Horizon and didn't.

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:48 am UTC

I thought it was a ridiculous spoof on that terrible movie where they journeyed to the center of the earth to restart the earth's core spinning, using nukes.
I guess I have to catch up on awful movies.

I still lol'd uproariously.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:50 am UTC

Ah, horrible puns and not-so-clever wordplays, how I love thee. <3

Oh, and happy anniversary, Omegaton! :D
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:00 am UTC

hyperion2010 wrote:And to think the government has been trying to cancel DST!!!!

Since when? They recently expanded DST to ~8 months from 6 (in North-America).
Did you get the number on that truck?

TheoGB

Postby TheoGB » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:20 am UTC

thret wrote:

Certainly makes my worst 10 movies ever made list. I spent the whole movie going wtf? How dumb is this? They were trying to make Event Horizon and didn't.

Oooh, BURN. Come on, Paul WS Anderson would give his right cranial lobe to have made a movie as good as Sunshine. The last act is utter pants, but then Danny Boyle seems to have issues making films since Trainspotting. But the preceding stuff is great, really back to the old 2001 style of film making and not like Event Horizon, which is a horror film, after all.

Sunshine also has a pretty good scientific basis for what happens in the sun, even if it is naturally very very unlikely - just listen to the Brian Cox commentary (that's the Physicist Brian Cox who was the scientific adviser not the amazing actor Brian Cox) to get the full background.

As to the ending of Sunshine, well I have heard there was a much better, less ridiculous ending but Boyle was convinced it wouldn't work, despite the feelings from the crew that it was the right way to go, so we have the bad ending we see now.

Kyrn

Postby Kyrn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:21 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:
hyperion2010 wrote:And to think the government has been trying to cancel DST!!!!

Actually, if they expand it to 12 months, wouldn't that be technically the same as canceling it?

TheoGB wrote:As to the ending of Sunshine, well I have heard there was a much better, less ridiculous ending but Boyle was convinced it wouldn't work, despite the feelings from the crew that it was the right way to go, so we have the bad ending we see now.

Clearly a chance to cash in on Director's Cut. :P
I am NOT a snake.

Opinions discussed are not necessarily the opinions of the people discussing them.

chawley650

Postby chawley650 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:35 am UTC

IHNTA, I just like saying
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

*turns to page 3*

rebmcr

Postby rebmcr » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:35 am UTC

Hahahahaaaa

"Not on my watch"

:¬)

NorthLondon

Postby NorthLondon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:52 am UTC

Kyrn wrote:
phillipsjk wrote:

Actually, if they expand it to 12 months, wouldn't that be technically the same as canceling it?.....

Every October when the clocks go back in Britain, there's always some politician or historian who proposes that we should stick permanently to summer time. For this year's winner, see - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8321809.stm

There's a perception, alluded to in the BBC News article I'm linking to, that the reason the clocks go back is to allow Scottish farmers to work in the light in the morning. And then the rest of Britain has to "suffer" darkness at 4pm in December. Whereas darkness at 5pm would be much more bearable. Oh no, wait:

westrim wrote:I agree with this comic completely. We should always be on daylight savings time. I mean, I'm in Southern California and the sun is setting at around five. FIVE people! I get off work at 3:30 and the shadows are already as long as semis....

Maybe people don't like it getting dark at 5pm either. Maybe we should just legislate against winter?

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:55 am UTC

The first thing that sprang to mind when I saw this comic was the line from Sunshine:

"Kaneda, Searle, report to flight deck... We have an excess of manliness breaking out in the comms centre. "
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

alexp

Postby alexp » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:15 am UTC

"Sunshine" has a much funnier tagline than the xkcd comic:
"If the sun dies, so do we."

I'll agree that the first part of the movie was pretty decent, though.

super_aardvark

Postby super_aardvark » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:43 am UTC

iain_benson wrote:"Never fall back" wouldn't really work either if it were a brit-flick as we call it by it's proper name - Autumn - we don't need to call it fall to remind us the leaves fall off the trees

To westrim and I (in southern California), it doesn't even make sense to call it Fall, because nothing does (see his comment about winter lows near 50F). OTOH, sometimes I need to be reminded that trees have leaves, so Fall it is.

Besides, without "spring forward, fall back," how do you know which way to turn the clocks? :P

Alexander The 1st

Postby Alexander The 1st » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:43 am UTC

Alternate Title: Saving Daylight Time.

...Alright, I'll not look into joining Hollywood for a while...

<_<
...YOU DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING...

bencoder

Postby bencoder » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:49 am UTC

On the topic of The Core, I recently read quite an interesting post on IMDB from a guy who was asked to consult on the film : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298814/board/thread/115159520?d=115159520#115159520

NorthLondon

Postby NorthLondon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:50 am UTC

super_aardvark wrote:
iain_benson wrote:"Never fall back" wouldn't really work either if it were a brit-flick as we call it by it's proper name - Autumn - we don't need to call it fall to remind us the leaves fall off the trees

To westrim and I (in southern California), it doesn't even make sense to call it Fall, because nothing does (see his comment about winter lows near 50F). OTOH, sometimes I need to be reminded that trees have leaves, so Fall it is.

Besides, without "spring forward, fall back," how do you know which way to turn the clocks? :P

Although British, and someone who finds the word "Fall" quite alien compared to "Autumn", I still use spring forward, fall back to remember. Cross-cultural mnemonics, that's what xkcd is all about, people!

Here's a present from Britain to you: "Never Eat Shredded Wheat" to remember where the points on the compass are.

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:10 am UTC

super_aardvark wrote:
iain_benson wrote:Besides, without "spring forward, fall back," how do you know which way to turn the clocks? :P

I don't, my clocks all do it automatically :D

M2March

Postby M2March » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:49 am UTC

Hey, let's make a graphic adventure out of this!!

Btw, awesome comic.

ianf

Postby ianf » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:59 am UTC

iain_benson wrote:"Never fall back" wouldn't really work either if it were a brit-flick as we call it by it's proper name - Autumn - we don't need to call it fall to remind us the leaves fall off the trees :P

Well actually, it's "proper" name was fall. Autumn is a more recent (well, 16th century) word in UK english. The US has stuck with the original word, whereas the UK introduced a new word from the French after all the US-ans had left.

Kench

Postby Kench » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:27 pm UTC

jthomp27

Postby jthomp27 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:48 pm UTC

Reminds me a lot of the movie "Sunshine" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/. It was on at 4am on a Saturday on HBO, and I've never seen or heard of it since.

waflman7

Postby waflman7 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:01 pm UTC

jthomp27 wrote:Reminds me a lot of the movie "Sunshine" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/. It was on at 4am on a Saturday on HBO, and I've never seen or heard of it since.

First thing I thought of too. I saw the movie at a "Movies that are so bad that they are still bad" movie night. Sunshine was a horrible movie, there was no redeeming qualities to it besides for that it made you laugh from being bad. Though I do know some girls that liked it because of the "hot" guys in it.

Rhubarbed

Postby Rhubarbed » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:21 pm UTC

What do you all have against the ending of Sunshine?!

It was AWESOMENESS CUBED!
Equals capital d

JGefell

Postby JGefell » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

<3 last panel, it's so delicious.
Run fast, make them chase you.

thret

Postby thret » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm UTC

TheoGB wrote:
thret wrote:

Oooh, BURN. Come on, Paul WS Anderson would give his right cranial lobe to have made a movie as good as Sunshine. The last act is utter pants, but then Danny Boyle seems to have issues making films since Trainspotting. But the preceding stuff is great, really back to the old 2001 style of film making and not like Event Horizon, which is a horror film, after all.

Sunshine also has a pretty good scientific basis for what happens in the sun, even if it is naturally very very unlikely - just listen to the Brian Cox commentary (that's the Physicist Brian Cox who was the scientific adviser not the amazing actor Brian Cox) to get the full background.

As to the ending of Sunshine, well I have heard there was a much better, less ridiculous ending but Boyle was convinced it wouldn't work, despite the feelings from the crew that it was the right way to go, so we have the bad ending we see now.

Um. Maybe I am missing something but in Sunshine the 'scientific basis' is that the sun is dying, and they need a large nuclear weapon to restart it. This is simply absurd. The sun comprises 99.86% of the mass in our solar system. It is one ginormous fusion reactor. A tiny fusion bomb the size of manhattan would be like sending an ant to push over a skyscraper, by staring at it from a distance.

encephalartos

Postby encephalartos » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

Wait, is she looking straight into the sun through a telescope? :-p

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”