0673: "The Sun"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

halcyon1234

Re: "The Sun" Discussion

Postby halcyon1234 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

Firewall422 wrote:How is that girl looking in the telescope (presumably at the sun) without getting her corneas melted?)

Obviously because the sun's going out! That's how they discover it. The main girl is a beautiful but clumsy sun scientist, and one day while going to her science office, she saw a cute guy and told him about some sun formula, then tripped. And she landed on her back, staring up at the sun in a BIG DRAMATIC MOMENT-- but wait, she isn't blind!

That's when the cute guy helps her to her feet, and they're about to kiss, but she's like "no, I have to check something. This could be bad. Very bad."
Writing for The Daily WTF
A More Permanent Join
Bessy Keeps You Safe
Passed Around

"I think Internet message boards used to be a lot funnier 10 years ago -- I've sort of stopped reading their new posts." -- Simpsons writer Matt Warburton

Pxtl

Postby Pxtl » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:33 pm UTC

The science in sunshine was pretty absurd in some places (the final scene with the "bomb" was kinda silly)... but I cut them some slack since for most of the film it was the best space-SF we've seen in movies for a very long time.

Oh, and quick question:

Daylight Savings time, or Daylight Saving Time.

Imho, the latter. The former is for people who think it's a price-cut at Macy's.

@thret - considering that the "bomb" involved glittery blue sparks, I assume it was something far more complicated than a simple FFF bomb and re-started the sun by an excruciatingly complex physics process that happened to involve a farktonne of energy, which is why it needed about half the Earth's available fissable material.

@halcyon1234

You are an evil genius.
Last edited by Pxtl on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

desetgled

Postby desetgled » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

Forget Sunshine. How about Solar Crisis?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100649/

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

Invisible_Insane wrote:Sunshine... it was not good.

And getting hit by a truck while fending off rabid hyenas is "uncomfortable." :)

I'd never heard of The Core but it's 5.3/10 on imdb, which is effectively a score of -100, so I guess I won't bother. I did see Sunshine up to around when they were seeing signs of the first ship. That movie was so stupid I'm still suffering aftereffects.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Workaphobia

Postby Workaphobia » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:18 pm UTC

Pxtl wrote:The science in sunshine was pretty absurd in some places (the final scene with the "bomb" was kinda silly)...

You mean how when the sun "reignited", instead of it suddenly getting brighter on Earth, they had a second dawn over the horizon instead?
Evidently, the key to understanding recursion is to begin by understanding recursion.

The rest is easy.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:28 pm UTC

all I have to say is well done. that was funny as hell.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

solsang

sunshine is a bigscreen movie

Postby solsang » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

Sunshine in the cinema was totally awesome 8)

My friends son was terrified, while i was cringing at the "28 days later gore" that this movie would imho be much better without!

Seeeing the corona from row 3 and then flying into the sun is something i will treasure for years, i knew this was an effect movie which i consider worthless on a tv or monitor, and was missing much more physics, and serious physics (of course the whole idea is absurd and legendary 2001 may be more realistic :P

SASnSA

Postby SASnSA » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

Of course we'd never see the sun die out, cause long before that, it would flare up into a red giant, engulfing the Earth and scorching any and all forms of life; so never fear, you won't die a frozen death in the darkness of space, there'll be plenty of light!

Tsunoba

Postby Tsunoba » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

That is a beautiful pun, and I love you, Randall.

Pity I'd never get to see it, since Arizona doesn't have DST.

Pxtl

Postby Pxtl » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

SASnSA wrote:Of course we'd never see the sun die out, cause long before that, it would flare up into a red giant, engulfing the Earth and scorching any and all forms of life; so never fear, you won't die a frozen death in the darkness of space, there'll be plenty of light!

Wikipedia says we won't even last that long. The sun is gradually warming up, and will make the Earth inhospitable in about a billion years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun#Life_cycle

ternarybit

Postby ternarybit » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:02 pm UTC

Funniest comic for some time now. That gave my morning a good hearty laugh! Thanks, Randall.

Artain

Postby Artain » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:15 pm UTC

Today's strip might have been funny if I hadn't heard of Sunshine, but I have. My disbelief was successfully suspended for that movie. Had to love the fight between ships engineer and physicist early on in the film. Pulled off the awkward interactions I would only expect to see between a real engineer and a real physicist.

" ...Was that the apology?"
"Yeah"

Mark Strong... shear badass, and menacing villain. Yet balanced by the seemingly oppositely minded Cliff Curtis (Searle). The two characters were nicely devised to share the same qualities, and yet display two distinct intentions... thinning the line between madness and enlightenment ("We're just stardust").

I didn't mind that Icarus inexplicably had gravity (I didn't see the Brian Cox commentary though), and I didn't mind that they swept all of the mechanisms for the bomb into a convenient black box.

I also think Michelle Yeoh is a beautiful. Much more so than Hilary Swank (The Core).

all in all, worth my time and money
Artain out,

The Boz

Postby The Boz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:48 pm UTC

kingofdreams wrote:I take it he hasn't seen "sunshine"

My thoughts exactly.
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!

murky

Postby murky » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

i was under the impression that franklin created the idea of DST as a joke...he would be proud today.

RowanE

Postby RowanE » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

I caught about the last half-hour or so of Sunshine a few days ago, and I just thought "this is "the core", but IN SPACE!"
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlekt6mtovm4vne?from=Main.RecycledInSpace
so it wouldn't have surprised me if it had been from the same people.

And i agree with the people saying we should keep daylight savings time, but i think it would be exactly the same, and make more sense, if we just made bosses and government people change work and school hours 1 forward. Because that way the time is actually correct.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

So... Randall took an existing movie and then changed the title to a pun?

Why is this the most popular comic on the web?

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

Fedak wrote:
XbHW_TestEngr wrote:
westrim wrote:I agree with this comic completely. We should always be on daylight savings time. I mean, I'm in Southern California and the sun is setting at around five. FIVE

Whiner! Try the Pacific Northwest.

Try Canada.
It's dark almost right after 4 now.

It's still light at 4pm?! Move to Scotland. It's dusk by 2pm and dark shortly thereafter.

Although I remember being in Norway when it was daylight until 11.30pm and the sun came up again by 1am.

Insomnia, anyone?
Dudes, I'm a woman.

rdm_box

Postby rdm_box » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:14 pm UTC

rocketrat wrote:
Firewall422 wrote:
How is that girl looking in the telescope (presumably at the sun) without getting her corneas melted?

(on second thought, those stick figures don't have eyes anyways, so it doesn't matter)

It's probably a solar telescope. They exist. Basically a huge filter for certain wavelengths.

You can get solar filters for telescopes. they are just very dark filters. :mrgreen:
Regards,

-rdm_box

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

Let me give this a try...

A track and field storage locker is exposed to radioactive waste: Teenage Mutant Ninja Hurdles!

I am officially clever enough to be the most popular comic on the internet.

Spectrum

Postby Spectrum » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

"Sunshine" sounds a lot like "Phoenix" by Clark Ashton Smith.

robert e

Postby robert e » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

Kids, the big cosmic joke in "Sunshine" is that it's Conrad's "Heart of Darkness".

Yes, it's our eeevil souls that's putting out the sun. It's allegory, or something like allegory. Also explains the bizarre ending--SOP for "Heart of Darkness"-based plots: confrontation with bizarre, bald man/beast/god/devil/father/self figure at end.

Depending on your point of view, "Sunshine's" problem is either that it tries to be too many things at once (or in sequence: SF adventure+haunted house+Conrad novella+Solaris+existential allegory) or that it doesn't fit into any of our Hollywood-conditioned categories for SF. Personally, I appreciate it for casting Michelle Yeoh in a rare non-martial-arts role, and hate it for what it does to her character too soon.

LtBonzai

Postby LtBonzai » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

Sunshine, seriously?

MUST . . . FIND . . . WAY . . . TO CALL XKCD . . . UNORIGINAL!

Listen up, nerds: NOTHING is original. Every possible joke has been made and now the only difference between them is application. If you really want to stroke your confirmation bias, you can find some obscure way or another to discredit every punchline you ever see. See, watch: Umm . . . not even Sunshine is original, because in Revelations and other religious works, the sun going dark is a major theme as being a consequence of humanity's sins. Thus, it's already been done, so they shouldn't have made Sunshine.

A much less douchey way to get through life is to accept humor at face value without trying to prove what an egghead you are.

hordriss

Postby hordriss » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

Hang on, where's the black chap? There's always a black man on the team! I don't know why, but there always is. Not a black woman, although there might be a token latin american of either gender. If you're really lucky you might get an Asian.
And don't forget to have at least one former Shakespearian or at least classically trained British actor, usually male, so we all know who will inevitably betray everyone. I recommend that bloke who played the baddie in Rush Hour, or Alan Rickman.
Then there's the nerd character with thick rimmed rectangular glasses, the big bloke, etc, the man and woman who bicker constantly until the very end... etc.
Did I miss anyone out?

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:30 pm UTC

This was a long, long way to go for a very bad joke.

I doubt anyone will say "Randal, get out of my head."
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:34 pm UTC

This comic is better than the script to Sunshine. The film fails logic as well as science. I only watched it on tv to see some cool space ship cgi. I turned it off before the end. So much is wrong in it. :(
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

I must say the phrase "Assemble our hottest astronauts" does seem to be the go-to solution for any vague and indefinable problem.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

robotkid

Postby robotkid » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:58 pm UTC

Aww, it wasn't that bad. Disappointing beyond belief, yes, but it wasn't your run of the mill low-budget schlockfest or mind-numbing high-budget crowd pleaser.

The first half of the movie had me convinced it was going to be my favorite sci-fi movie of all time - decent actors (some of whom I've actually heard of), attention to detail that I haven't seen since Kubrick's 2001, and a plot that can be best described as "Apollo 13", plus "what you get when you give a particle physicist one beer too many" - note that the fate of the world was depending on a lone particle physicist studying probably the most esoteric subject imaginable. In other words, everything I've ever wanted a sci-fi movie to be and then some.

The one scene where the physicist has these computer projections that blur and break down because they are the limit of what is known and understood, and he has to make a huge call based on his intuition - that made my jaw drop because that is what we deal with every day (with much lower stakes, thank goodness, unless you are unfortunately enough to study climate science), and that's precisely why we even bother doing this for a living, and some screen writer actually understood that and got it right.

And then it suddenly dived off a cliff into the worst B-grade schlocky horror movie imaginable. It even did it with the mother of all schlocky horror gimmicks - when the AI reveals there is an extra person on the ship, somehow not a event worth reporting until now? And everyone starts dying in completely predictable ways, while I shake my fists at the screen in frustration.

Why? Oh Why??

I still have no explanation for this movie, other than rabid zombies must have eaten the brain out of whoever wrote the first half, and then they just used random boilerplate sci-fi/horror scripts they had lying around to finish the second half and hoped that no-one noticed. I can't, in good conscience, recommend this film to anyone, even if they like schlocky horror movies, because it just doesn't make any sense when you put the two halves together. I've seen movies based on video games that made better sense than this (Resident Evil anyone?). The only reason to see this movie is so that you can commiserate with me about what could have been.

-robotkid

waflman7 wrote:
jthomp27 wrote:Reminds me a lot of the movie "Sunshine" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/. It was on at 4am on a Saturday on HBO, and I've never seen or heard of it since.

First thing I thought of too. I saw the movie at a "Movies that are so bad that they are still bad" movie night. Sunshine was a horrible movie, there was no redeeming qualities to it besides for that it made you laugh from being bad. Though I do know some girls that liked it because of the "hot" guys in it.

A.DTheMediocre

Postby A.DTheMediocre » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

So if the sun went out for a day before it was restarted, would that necessarily be a bad thing?

Unless gravity decided to take a day off, yeah, it'd be pretty darn bad.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:18 pm UTC

(This may be on the other thread)

Where is the black man who will have to be sacrificed for the mission, because Hollywood thinks people want to see black people dying gruesome deaths?

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

ysth wrote:
XbHW_TestEngr wrote:Yup ... I named my computer sunshine. Guys in the lab look at me a little strange, but I can deal with it.
Yeah, well, I named your mom's computer sunshine.

Actually, I mean I named my wife's computer sunshine, after Sunshine.

HA! This gets back to the FB Suggestions thread and people who can't be contacted. My mom died died earlier this year. Seriously! (Not Funny, Not Good.) (I had to chuckle at the odds of you picking the one person to whom a "your mom" joke might not be funny. And, that's what makes it funny. LOL!)

Bit of advice: buy your wife flowers. My wife, the mother of my children, died in 1992. There were more flowers at her funeral than what I had given her while she was alive. Not Funny, Not Good.
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

chanakrogue

Postby chanakrogue » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

Did anyone notice the elliptical Space Cowboys reference invoked by "SADDLE UP" in the 3rd panel?

There may be other Easter eggs in there. Randall is parodying the entire sci-fi disaster genre. Kinda cool.

Lerkistan

Postby Lerkistan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

smartalco wrote:Did anyone else immediately think 'L4D movie titles'?

Absolutely.

edit: oh my... I just re-read it the third time when I finally realised "never fall back" was not just there to make it look more like L4D. Jesus is burning!

ylde

Postby ylde » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

Ya know, there is a movie called Sunshine that....oh wait, a hundred other people said this already.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:27 pm UTC

westrim wrote:I agree with this comic completely. We should always be on daylight savings time. I mean, I'm in Southern California and the sun is setting at around five. FIVE people! I get off work at 3:30 and the shadows are already as long as semis.

And that's not counting the enormous amount of rain we just got yesterday. I mean, it must have been at least an inch. And this morning it was effin cold, at most 50 F!

It gets dark at 3:30, and complte darkness at 4 here in sunny old UK. I finish work at 4. Sometimes I hate my country. :/
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

NorthLondon

Postby NorthLondon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:...
It gets dark at 3:30, and complte darkness at 4 here in sunny old UK. I finish work at 4. Sometimes I hate my country. :/

Chin up, old chap! The flip side of that is that it gets dark at 10pm in June! Which is excellent. You can leave work at 4, and have six whole hours of daylight left. Just lie back, and think of England... in June.

But actually, I love Britain in late autumn / early winter. Crisp, and misty, and leaves on the ground to stomp through, and it's not too cold yet, and the Christmas lights are up everywhere, and you can legitimately drink mulled wine and eat minced pies.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

I emitted an audible groan. In a most inappropriate situation. Bad puns are funny, but dangerous.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

demadaha

Postby demadaha » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

littlelj wrote:
Fedak wrote:
XbHW_TestEngr wrote:
westrim wrote:I agree with this comic completely. We should always be on daylight savings time. I mean, I'm in Southern California and the sun is setting at around five. FIVE

Whiner! Try the Pacific Northwest.

Try Canada.
It's dark almost right after 4 now.

It's still light at 4pm?! Move to Scotland. It's dusk by 2pm and dark shortly thereafter.

Although I remember being in Norway when it was daylight until 11.30pm and the sun came up again by 1am.

Insomnia, anyone?

Try either of the poles! Sunrise? For 179 days a year there isn't one!

Not that I'm at either of the poles.
Warning: Post may contain lame, overused reference.
That's no reference! It's a space station!

RonStoppable

Postby RonStoppable » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

Not that it happens too often (or, in fact, at all), but I guess after this thread each of us will be somewhat reluctant to call someone else "sunshine"... xD

prissi

Postby prissi » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

Well, concerning really bad movies on this topic, I missed Solar Crisis (I saw it under the title "Solaris 7000", which was changed last minute. Maybe the critics were too bad.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Crisis_%28film%29

This is the worst SF movie I ever saw (even much worse than The core and Highlander 2&3 or Ed Wood). The summary reads more or less sane, but in the actual film it is that the earth will be destroyed by an expanding sun, and the bad guy is still sure the stock markets will rise afterwards (or maybe that was an error of the german synchronisation, but still ... ) and thus just want to fail the mission to be sure earth is really hit by it. Not to mention the female psychotic robots and other stuff which were even too bad to to be a cult film. Really really bad. Do not see or else ...

Troger64

Postby Troger64 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

the cheese burned me a little when i read this comic
an internet to you good sir!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”