0673: "The Sun"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ezzieyguywuf

Re: "The Sun" Discussion

Postby ezzieyguywuf » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:07 am UTC

Wow. Registered to the site just to say, this is the most I've laughed at an XKCD since "Sudo make me a sandwhich".

note: I've read a majority of these retroactively, and may of them via the "random" button (which doesn't seem to be all that random for me...)

P1h3r1e3d13

Postby P1h3r1e3d13 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:04 am UTC

Suggested:
“Daylight-Saving Time”

The hyphen is important.

Kerim

Postby Kerim » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:05 am UTC

This is the best xkcd to date. The Core is up there with Batman & Robin and 2012 for Worst Movie of All Time.

RonStoppable

Postby RonStoppable » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:17 am UTC

prissi wrote:Not to mention the female psychotic robots and other stuff which were even too bad to to be a cult film. Really really bad. Do not see or else ...

Isn't that reason enough to watch just about anything?

DVC

Postby DVC » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:43 am UTC

The problem I had with Sunshine was that there was absolutely no explanation of why/how the Sun's fusion was failing, or even why a nuclear bomb dropped into it would help. There was a perfect spot in the movie for the explanation but they just skipped past it.

I'd have given it 3 stars but one of them is dying, so 2 and a half.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:12 am UTC

The Boz wrote:
kingofdreams wrote:I take it he hasn't seen "sunshine"

My thoughts exactly.

Clearly this is the prequel.

Mcecny

Postby Mcecny » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:21 am UTC

Great comic....

In Edmonton, Alberta, Canada the sun rises at 8:38 and sets 4:15 thats a little over 7 hours and 30 Minutes of sunshine per day, but in the summer we get closer to 15 hours of daylight.

finity

Postby finity » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:48 am UTC

Does this episode take place in Norway?

I know that in the last frame they're looking at the sun, but doesn't it look like they're standing outside watching the spiral? Randall, this may be confirmation bias on my part, but damn! This is either incontrovertible evidence that you can predict the future or some strange coincidence.

matrix3509

Postby matrix3509 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:33 am UTC

God, The Core was a soft-science nightmare. This coming from a Star Wars fan....

scot

Postby scot » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:35 am UTC

First time forumer long time T-shirt buyer..
Hey. They have daylight savings time above the arctic circle in Alaska.
Yep. We're "saving daylight" where the 24-hour sunlit day, often referred to as the "midnight sun" rages eternal.
Up with stupid. Thanks Ben Franklin, gotta conserve that whale oil.
-Scot

screech

Postby screech » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:32 pm UTC

On a much more important topic:

hmmm.PNG
hmmm.PNG (31.09 KiB) Viewed 5398 times

What is this thing? :o It looks like they've planned the mission already, which means this is all a setup.
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:03 pm UTC

matrix3509 wrote:God, The Core was a soft-science nightmare. This coming from a Star Wars fan....

You're just jealous becuase Star Wars doesn't have Unobtanium. í707

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:49 pm UTC

Apparently this is one time where NOT being a sci-fi geek who's seen every sci-fi film and show ever actually makes the comic better. And boy, was it. This goes right up there with the shark balloon, and of course the classics.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

smb

Postby smb » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:45 am UTC

ianf wrote:
iain_benson wrote:"Never fall back" wouldn't really work either if it were a brit-flick as we call it by it's proper name - Autumn - we don't need to call it fall to remind us the leaves fall off the trees :P

Well actually, it's "proper" name was fall. Autumn is a more recent (well, 16th century) word in UK english. The US has stuck with the original word, whereas the UK introduced a new word from the French after all the US-ans had left.

OED's earliest quote for autumn is Chaucer in 1374, earliest for fall (as part of the expression "fall of the leaf") is 1545, internet agrees neither term is particularly old.

ihatebumperstickers

Postby ihatebumperstickers » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:47 am UTC

after a heroic yet tragic failure of the mission emerges the sequel: "Earth: where the sun don't shine"

glitch

Postby glitch » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:42 am UTC

"In space, no one can hear you groan [at puns]."

No, but seriously, cute strip as always. :)

Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:37 am UTC

This only reminds me of a Daniel Tosh joke...

Daniel Tosh wrote:I'd like to change Daylight Savings Time--are you ready for this?--instead of one hour forward, make it FIVE hours forward.
Like Tetris? Come to the Hard Drop community and join 1000+ players online!
My HD Account: Magnanimous

noregsson

Postby noregsson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:06 am UTC

I know Sunshine has been pointed out several times already, but I just want to emphasize how god-awesome that movie is! It beats the core any time, anywhere, any ANY! It's _that_ bad <3

TheoGB

Postby TheoGB » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:05 am UTC

thret wrote:
TheoGB wrote:
thret wrote:
Invisible_Insane wrote:Sunshine... it was not good.

Certainly makes my worst 10 movies ever made list. I spent the whole movie going wtf? How dumb is this? They were trying to make Event Horizon and didn't.

Oooh, BURN. Come on, Paul WS Anderson would give his right cranial lobe to have made a movie as good as Sunshine. The last act is utter pants, but then Danny Boyle seems to have issues making films since Trainspotting. But the preceding stuff is great, really back to the old 2001 style of film making and not like Event Horizon, which is a horror film, after all.

Sunshine also has a pretty good scientific basis for what happens in the sun, even if it is naturally very very unlikely - just listen to the Brian Cox commentary (that's the Physicist Brian Cox who was the scientific adviser not the amazing actor Brian Cox) to get the full background.

As to the ending of Sunshine, well I have heard there was a much better, less ridiculous ending but Boyle was convinced it wouldn't work, despite the feelings from the crew that it was the right way to go, so we have the bad ending we see now.

Um. Maybe I am missing something but in Sunshine the 'scientific basis' is that the sun is dying, and they need a large nuclear weapon to restart it. This is simply absurd. The sun comprises 99.86% of the mass in our solar system. It is one ginormous fusion reactor. A tiny fusion bomb the size of manhattan would be like sending an ant to push over a skyscraper, by staring at it from a distance.

Well, from Wikipedia:
To shape the science of the film, Boyle and Garland hired scientist advisers, including NASA employees and astrophysicists.[17] One physicist, Brian Cox of University of Manchester, was hired to advise the cast and crew after the director had seen Cox on the science TV series Horizon.[18] The physicist gave regular lectures to the film's cast members about solar physics. Cox also advised the filmmakers to scale down the nuclear device in the film from the mass of the Moon to the size of Manhattan. In the film's backstory, a Q-Ball enters the Earth's sun and begins to eat it away. According to Cox, the sun would not be dense enough in real life to stop a Q-ball, but filmmakers took creative licence in writing the backstory.[11]

I think the notion of how you might work against this Q-Ball is correct but the issue is that the Sun's density isn't high enough. Anyway, my point is that at least attempts were made to make the film strongly sci-fi, it wasn't just a ridiculous bomb in the sun film.

kcartier

Postby kcartier » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:33 pm UTC

"The Core" is an unquestionably bad film. One good thing about it, however, is that the movie inspired (IMO) one of the funniest IMDB films reviews ever:

"In the far distant future humans will shed their corporeal existence to become shimmering clouds of pure energy with unimaginable intellects. During this span of time cockroaches will evolve sufficiently to make movies. The cockroaches could possibly make a move as bad as "The Core", but that would be understandable - they'll still just be cockroaches."

-- KC

gendou

Postby gendou » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:35 pm UTC

π=3.15

Postby π=3.15 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:39 am UTC

Never fall back is the funniest part of this comic

Pull harder, mom!

jacog

Postby jacog » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:59 am UTC

The Core was a fun film to play the "Who's going to die next?" game with. Later I found TV Tropes' Sorting Algorith of Mortality, and I would love to re-watch the film just to score each character against it.

However, since I am notoriously lazy, I will post a link here, per chance someone else feels like doing it. :)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... fMortality

It's all in the name of science!

hardattackdj

Postby hardattackdj » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:40 pm UTC

The movie Sunshine was great, but to make a little more sense of it, watch it with the commentary track with Brian Cox. He gives a reasonable account of the dimming of the sun (since the idea of the sun "going out" is silly).

sleet01

Postby sleet01 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:31 am UTC

Wow, I obviously need to stop reading XKCD because I have nothing in common with you people who think Sunshine was anything better than utter smegma, and enjoying something alongside you all can no longer be enjoyable to me.</hyperbole>

Seriously, though, anybody who thinks Sunshine has anything in common with 2001: A Space Odyssey beside the fact that both titles have letters in them needs to get their head examined - like, right now. I, too, was fooled by the trailer; I, too, thought this was finally the good-looking space movie that would redeem the last two decades. But it was not. It was shit.

Those of you who have not seen Sunshine, do not be fooled by those who sing its praises. It does not go well with Moon. It is not enjoyable for the first two thirds. It is just bad.

AlexanderRM

Postby AlexanderRM » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:35 pm UTC

serrath wrote:Luckily if the fusion were failing near the center of the sun, we'd have millenia before we felt the effects of that, so we'd have plenty of time to prepare.

Well, I suppose it depends how we tell that the sun is going out. If it's because it's getting dimmer, then those millenia have already passed (though we haven't really wasted them). I suppose it could be by some other means that isn't delayed the same way the light is, but then it wouldn't result in a very exiting movie- and probably wouldn't result in a mission anyway.

NorthLondon wrote:Every October when the clocks go back in Britain, there's always some politician or historian who proposes that we should stick permanently to summer time. For this year's winner, see - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8321809.stm

No, really- wouldn't that just be the same as eliminating it, and doing everything an hour earlier?

NorthLondon wrote:Maybe people don't like it getting dark at 5pm either. Maybe we should just legislate against winter?

I recall an Issac Asimov essay (from the 70s, but I think the science is still good) that said that without summer and winter the Earth would be in a perpetual ice age even worse than the usual ones. I suppose getting rid of winter and making it warmer overall (thus effectively always summer-ish) wouldn't do that, but it would still cause serious issues... probably making the Earth much too hot instead.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:07 am UTC

AlexanderRM wrote:I recall an Issac Asimov essay (from the 70s, but I think the science is still good) that said that without summer and winter the Earth would be in a perpetual ice age even worse than the usual ones. I suppose getting rid of winter and making it warmer overall (thus effectively always summer-ish) wouldn't do that, but it would still cause serious issues... probably making the Earth much too hot instead.
Most of Earth's history has been without icecaps; might not such conditions affect snowfall?
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Dipsy

Postby Dipsy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:48 pm UTC

kingofdreams wrote:I take it he hasn't seen "sunshine"

I think he's making fun of sunshine XD
meow meow

danielreid

Postby danielreid » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:51 pm UTC

When linked on his facebook profile, a friend of mine came back with:

----------------------------------------

it's now clear: they must drill to the center of the sun, and then drop h-bombs to restart it.

"Daylight Saving Time"

Distributed by Legendary Pictures

Starring:
Owen Wilson as "The Smart and handsome Hero"
Meryl Streep as "The tough, beautiful and nubile NASA pilot" Tom Hanks as "The Frenchman"
Hugh Grant as "The Prentencious Ass of a Scientist"
and
Wayne Brady as "The scientist who must sacrifice themselves to allow the mission to succeed, should anything go wrong."

Other possible castings: Instead of Wilson, go with Steve Carrell; Streep replaced by Judi Dench, Grant replaced by Russell Crow. (Here in LA, one must have options and all bases covered.)

Director: Mel Brooks
Ass't Director: Martin Scorcese
Original Score: Danny Elfman
Original Single: "Dark Side of the Sun" by Lady Gaga
Post Production and special effects provided by Michael Bay's Studio
Catering Service provided by Mark's Texas Hots

Voice of the Ship's Computer: James Earl Jones

---------------------------------

MCAS

Postby MCAS » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:35 am UTC

Okay, I'm about to go to sleep so I'm going to make this quick.

I made this account solely so that I could tell you that SciFi/SyFy actually has a movie about the astronauts restarting the sun. It's called "Sunshine", if I remember correctly. Maybe somebody already posted about this but I'm to lazy to look for it.

Sir-Taco

Postby Sir-Taco » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:14 am UTC

Its not SciFi/SyFy, its a full blown movie affiliated with FOX searchlight and its British. Rings heavily of Solaris or anything else of Tarkovsky (Stalker anyone?).
The world is a cold and dark place, so start fire.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:22 pm UTC

It's already been mentioned, anyway.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Scorpio3002

Postby Scorpio3002 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:24 am UTC

Just a helpful reminder to spring forward tonight, everybody.

megalodon

Postby megalodon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:08 am UTC

Agreed that this comic is funny, but the core was not so bad either. There was less drama and little more science (even if some of it may not be right). The graphics was nice and the musical score wasn't so bad either. The ending could perhaps need some revision.

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:41 am UTC

I find the reoccurance of the 'Not on my watch' play on words as an attempt to make people see that particular one more than the other 3 or so, and that seems odd to me.

Is that just me, or?

sr123

Postby sr123 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:15 am UTC

I am also in the club of science folk who thought The Core was a decent movie. Stand tall together, brothers.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:50 am UTC

I'd just like to say that I would pay good money to see this as an actual movie, if it were made in the right sort of internally serious / externally absurd fashion. (Something like the Princess Bride: is it supposed to be a serious romantic adventure movie or a comedy? No matter, it turns out to work equally well as both).

I honestly get a little bit of chills at the poster in the last panel, even knowing how completely ridiculous the whole thing is. With such a patently absurd title and tag line everybody with an ounce of wit would understand that it's all supposed to be a joke, and if they lampshaded the necessary bad science to make the plot possible to begin with, and had the rest of it an honest-to-goodness hard sci fi movie with a lightheartedly genre-saavy cast... you've got cinematic gold.

Randall, script this and pitch it to someone who won't ruin it!
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

drainbramaged

Re: 0673: "The Sun"

Postby drainbramaged » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:16 am UTC

I just had to post, and get this bumped up again. The tagline from the last panel is possibly the funniest thing I've read on this website, or any other for that matter.
For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”